HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Weber

Old
01-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Habblues

vCash: 500
Weber

Can fellow Hab fans shed some light as to why this guy doesn't get the respect he deserves ? IMO he's one of our best D man. He has scored some big goals while playing the point for us this year as he did against the Bruins in Boston, but then they sit him for numerous games and then insert him in the lineup playing forward. This frustrates the living daylights out of me.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:02 PM
shutehinside

because he's not very good at anything.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:02 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Somebody has to take the blame and Weber is used to it.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:05 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Jack of All Trades Master of None scenario imo.

He does alot of things, but doesn't hit, he plays offensively, his D play isn't so bad, but hes suffering due to our depth at D imo.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:06 PM
m00ks

Why is everyone enamored with this kid. Nice shot but has little else to offer. Lacks poise in the offensive zone, very shaky positioning, zero takeaway ability and slow to turn on his skates.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

People always assume because a player is young, he's got boatloads of potential even though he's showing very little ability to stick in the league, or has visibly limited upside.

I don't think he's in a very good spot since he's been passed over on the depth chart and some of our young guns are coming to Hamilton next year.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Habblues

He's been the one bight spot on out PP this year..........You guys have a short memory.

Habblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:17 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
He's been the one bight spot on out PP this year..........You guys have a short memory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
Can fellow Hab fans shed some light as to why this guy doesn't get the respect he deserves ? IMO he's one of our best D man. He has scored some big goals while playing the point for us this year as he did against the Bruins in Boston, but then they sit him for numerous games and then insert him in the lineup playing forward. This frustrates the living daylights out of me.

Have you seen him play the point? When's the last time he got a shot off, or a pass, or pinched properly?

He's been one of our WORST d-men since game10. The coaching staff, most fans and the media all agree on this.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:18 PM
Andy

1. Bad positioning
2. Questionable hockeyIQ at the highest level
3. Very little to know poise. Handles the puck like it's a grenade.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:21 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
1. Bad positioning
2. Questionable hockeyIQ at the highest level
3. Very little to know poise. Handles the puck like it's a grenade.
Considering his shot is a cannon, perhaps he just handles the puck like it's a cannon ball. Best shot on the team easily.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
TheBuriedHab

Hes one of the worst players ive seen try to qb a power play. Loses the puck at the line a lot, shoots into the defenders legs, can't make good passes. I'm hoping its the same things as it was with streit, where his first season he was handling the puck like a grenade but then the season after got much better. But now that they brought in an older and more polished version of him in Diaz i don't know if theres room for him anymore even if he does get better.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:27 PM
groovejuice

His start to the season was terrific, but he had a couple of iffy games. Martin reduced his ice time, benched him, played him on the wing....ad nauseum.

The kid lost some confidence and when he got the chance, played poorly - like the majority of the team.

I like the kid and think he will do well on a team where he gets the mentoring and ice time.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:29 PM
Stradale

He's a playoffs warrior!

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:33 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

While he may never become a great D, chances are that next season (after trading him this summer for an average prospect or a 3rd)... we'll have to trade our 2nd round pick cause we'll be missing a shot on our pathetic PP...

and while Weber will play for league minimum elsewhere, the guy we'll acquire with our 2nd rounder will probably cost 3X that...

and people will come here whining, not underrstanding how we managed to let go of a D who's top 5 or top 10 (whole league) in goals scored on the PP...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:35 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBuriedHab View Post
Hes one of the worst players ive seen try to qb a power play. Loses the puck at the line a lot, shoots into the defenders legs, can't make good passes. I'm hoping its the same things as it was with streit, where his first season he was handling the puck like a grenade but then the season after got much better. But now that they brought in an older and more polished version of him in Diaz i don't know if theres room for him anymore even if he does get better.
of course... thing is, hes our best PP shot on D, he should be the one being setup, not the other way around...

8th for PP goals by a D...

Old
01-31-2012, 06:37 PM
Dr_Hook

He gets goals and points due to his excellent shot but his offensive awereness, passing skills and overall hockey sense have proved rather weak to this point. Martin and Cunneyworth seem to have no confidence in him at all. I still feel he should have had more of a chance to grow as a player, especially if the alternative was named Tomas Kaberle...

I'm sure a bottom feeder wouldn't mind ponying up a decent pick or prospect to see if Weber can become better with experience and confidence that could come with a fresh start elsewhere. Edmonton or Columbus maybe ? Or a swiss tag-team with NYI ?

Anyway, writing seem to be on the wall : I'd be surprised if he was still with us past draft day

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:40 PM
neofury*

I think at this point he's looking like a future MAB. Hope he becomes a more complete player but lately he seems to have lapses in judgment and really has looked bad overall.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:40 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I think at this point he's looking like a future MAB. Hope he becomes a more complete player but lately he seems to have lapses in judgment and really has looked bad overall.
No way, he has nowhere near the power or the accuracy MAB has.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:19 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
No way, he has nowhere near the power or the accuracy MAB has.
ahs more PP goals though.

Old
01-31-2012, 08:21 PM
m00ks

Another rock solid performance from our young all-star.

Old
01-31-2012, 08:24 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Sucks but I see him getting moved and turning into a decent D somewhere else. The guy has seen management make horrible moves to get veterans ahead of him at all cost, Mara, Sopel, Campoli etc. And they send Weber to play as a forward

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Sucks but I see him getting moved and turning into a decent D somewhere else. The guy has seen management make horrible moves to get veterans ahead of him at all cost, Mara, Sopel, Campoli etc. And they send Weber to play as a forward
I don't think that's what the problem is. The habs have two rookie d-men in the lineup over him. He's done nothing to secure his spot. It has nothing to do with ensuring he's not in the lineup, he simply hasn't been good enough to recieve a regular spot.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Lshap

Weber's 23. Most of his mistakes are from lack of experience or lack of confidence. The same can be said for Eller last year, who played a much more timid game before finding his groove. As far as Weber's concerned, it's too soon to presume we're seeing the finished product when so much development could happen in a year or two. The kid's shown potential; give him limited time and see what grows. Right now he gives us defensive depth at a bargain.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I don't think that's what the problem is. The habs have two rookie d-men in the lineup over him. He's done nothing to secure his spot. It has nothing to do with ensuring he's not in the lineup, he simply hasn't been good enough to recieve a regular spot.
Look I'm not saying he is the next best thing but give him a fair shot. 10-20 games and no yo-yoing around. Give him the ice time and let's see what he can do. It doesn't help and you can't say other wise when management goes out and acquires veterans like Campoli, Mara and Sopel. Those guys will always play over rookies. Emelin didn't have the best of starts but it took time for him to get comfortable, give these kids the time, and after a good evaluation you make up your mind on keeping him or not

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:49 PM
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Look I'm not saying he is the next best thing but give him a fair shot. 10-20 games and no yo-yoing around. Give him the ice time and let's see what he can do. It doesn't help and you can't say other wise when management goes out and acquires veterans like Campoli, Mara and Sopel. Those guys will always play over rookies. Emelin didn't have the best of starts but it took time for him to get comfortable, give these kids the time, and after a good evaluation you make up your mind on keeping him or not
You don't get it. He was GIVEN the ice-time. He lost it. He got yo-yo'ed because he was a liability.