HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

At least there aren't shootouts in the playoffs.

Old
01-31-2012, 09:24 PM
NYRSchrute217

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs180216 View Post
you're right there are no shootouts in the post season. 2010 really showed you guys how meaningless a shootout win is. you lost in that big shootout but you guys did great in the playoffs that year IIRC.
You lost in 5 to the team that beat us in the shootout. Not something to be proud of. Also, that has nothing to do with this season so it's moot.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:25 PM
NYRSchrute217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
I hope not. I hope they go .500 they rest of the way and meet in the deep rounds. This tri-state area needs it.
The Devils have to make the playoffs first, which they probably won't.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:27 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
The Devils have to make the playoffs first, which they probably won't.
Even if they did make the playoffs, they can only win in the shootout... so they'd lose round 1 in 5 games.

mahonistan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Mediocre and excellent in the SO? Yep, I do.
The most SO wins we've ever had in an entire season is 10. The Devils are on pace for about 16 this year. It's absurd. They're not just mediocre without the SO. They're flat out garbage.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
The most SO wins we've ever had in an entire season is 10. The Devils are on pace for about 16 this year. It's absurd. They're not just mediocre without the SO. They're flat out garbage.
so a garbage team just beat you guys? it was a very good, close game. regardless of the shooutout, there is no way you can call the devils a garbage team after tonight's game.

HeliDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autos View Post
so a garbage team just beat you guys? it was a very good, close game. regardless of the shooutout, there is no way you can call the devils a garbage team after tonight's game.
The Devils played well, but the bounce off of the boards was unreal.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:40 PM
Rangerfan4life90

Quote:
The game should have ended in a 3-2 win for us period due to your piece of **** boards.

You're seriously reminisce of how we used to be in the past. Mediocre but excellent in the shootout. You'll be lucky to get the 7th-8th seed.

Rangerfan4life90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:43 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
The Devils played well, but the bounce off of the boards was unreal.
agreed and quite lucky. however biron had every chance to make that save and barely reacted.

Old
01-31-2012, 09:44 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
agreed and quite lucky. however biron had every chance to make that save and barely reacted.
He was surprised it happened. A loss is a loss, thank god we got a point out of it. This game won't matter when it's all said and done for the Rangers.

Old
01-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
It probably surprised him.

See you next Tuesday at MSG.

Old
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Has Arrived View Post
Just like I tell everyone else, I'd rather be a great team that can close games out most of the time in regulation and be terrible in the SO than an average/above average team that relies on the SO for extra points.

We are not THAT team anymore, and I gotta say, I'm more than happy to say so.
this for the clear cut win. i have stated in another thread that one of the best things about this year when it comes to games 80-82, we wont be battling for 7th and 8th.. this year itll be for the division/conference

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:49 PM
HeliDevil
Legendary

Quote:
It probably surprised him.

See you next Tuesday at MSG.
definitely did but, in the end, he has to stop it.

looking forward to it!

Old
01-31-2012, 09:50 PM
Zil

Quote:
You didn't beat us. The shootout is complete crap. It's not hockey. I don't recognize shootout wins and losses as wins and losses. If you think or feel otherwise, then you're not a real hockey fan. You got an absurdly lucky bounce to get a tie. It's a 3-2 win for us masquerading as something else.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
If you think or feel otherwise, then you're not a real hockey fan.
Nobody is in the position to question another persons fandom. At the end of the day, both teams played very well, but the puck went into the net behind Biron more often with almost exactly the same amount of tries.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Biron did not play a great game, but honestly, this is pretty much how he plays EVERY game. he's steady, he makes the saves he should, and the Rangers play so well in front of him it bails him out a lot. His numbers are really skewed thanks to the team in front of him. he's almost brodeur like in that the team makes the numbers rather than the other way around. Lundqvist, on the other hand, seems to get less help from the team in front of him as they focus more on trying to score (they still play great D, but i dont think they are scared to make pinches the way they tend to be when Biron is in net).

Long story short, if Henrik is in net we probably win this game, but, it doesnt really matter. Henrik will be in net during th eplayoffs, when the games count. Right now, they just gotta get themselves there.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:12 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
He is pretty good, but why do they proceed to put Gabby in?

He's horrible at the shootouts.
66% this year before that shot? horrible?

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
66% this year before that shot? horrible?
In that small sample size, yes, he's been good.

I was referring to his career totals. I should've been more specific.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:18 PM
Zil

Quote:
Nobody is in the position to question another persons fandom. At the end of the day, both teams played very well, but the puck went into the net behind Biron more often with almost exactly the same amount of tries.
If you think the SO is the proper way to decide a HOCKEY game, then you are not a real fan of HOCKEY.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:20 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
If you think the SO is the proper way to decide a HOCKEY game, then you are not a real fan of HOCKEY.
Yeah it sucks the Olympic gold medal game can be decided by a shootout.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:22 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
I've been following hockey since the Rangers won the Cup. 11 years before the lockout. I don't want to hear it. I'm not a fan of the shootout either, but don't you dare questions me being a "real fan".

Old
01-31-2012, 10:24 PM
mahonistan*

Quote:
I've been following hockey since the Rangers won the Cup. 11 years before the lockout. I don't want to hear it. I'm not a fan of the shootout either, but don't you dare questions me being a "real fan".
while i agree, this is an internet message board... you can't really take what people say as personal attacks as gospel lol

Old
01-31-2012, 10:34 PM
Zil

Quote:
Well if you're not a fan of the shootout, then obviously that statement doesn't apply to you. It's really not that complicated. I say that people who think the SO is the proper way to decide a hockey game aren't hockey fans. Someone tells me I have no right to judge other fans. I counter with the statement you just quoted. How do you read that statement, say you don't like shootouts, and then find a way to take offense at it? Clearly, I am not questioning the fandom of anyone who dislikes shootouts.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:40 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonistan View Post
Even if they did make the playoffs, they can only win in the shootout... so they'd lose round 1 in 5 games.
Wait.. how would we win a playoff game if we can only win in shootouts?

I mean, you should have said we'd lose in 4.. it'd make your point much better IMO.

Shootout aside, I think it was a pretty even game for the most part. Yea, we needed a lucky as hell bounce to tie it up but based on just the level of play from both teams, 3-2 or 3-3 in the shootout seems correct.

Good game though, see ya in a week.

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:41 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Quote:
Well if you're not a fan of the shootout, then obviously that statement doesn't apply to you. It's really not that complicated. I say that people who think the SO is the proper way to decide a hockey game aren't hockey fans. Someone tells me I have no right to judge other fans. I counter with the statement you just quoted. How do you read that statement, say you don't like shootouts, and then find a way to take offense at it? Clearly, I am not questioning the fandom of anyone who dislikes shootouts.
You have to recognize shootouts as wins or losses, no matter what your position is on it. Sometimes postseason entry is riding on them, as we're all aware of.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:46 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs180216 View Post
you're right there are no shootouts in the post season. 2010 really showed you guys how meaningless a shootout win is. you lost in that big shootout but you guys did great in the playoffs that year IIRC.
Yeah I guess they're important when they're only thing keeping you from reserving tee times with Eric Staal and the Canes.

How's the view from below?

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote