HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

An open letter to Tom Renney

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2006, 07:13 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

vCash: 500
I've stayed on the sidelines in this debate because

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers
I just really feel it's not fair to the rest of the team to play Weekes against Philly. As a coach you psych your players up about a big game like Philly. And Renney obviously did a great job of that. The Rangers came out in the first and played HARD. They didn't get discouraged when Philly scored on their FIRST shot. But you send your players out onto the ice believing that they can do anything if they try hard enough and at the end of the night it's not enough because you wanted to sneak in a big win for Weekes and ease the pressure that's caused from hearing day in and day out that Lundqvist should be the #1 goaltender. Well the pressure isn't eased. And with losses to Ottawa and Philly that could have been wins, it's pretty clear that Weekes has had his chance at redemption.

I expect Renney to play Weekes in another big game coming up. Weekes will fail to rise to the task and Renney will finally end this madness. Henke against the big teams, Weekes against low scoring teams or teams that the Rangers outshoot.
I thought emotions were getting the better of most of us and had a tendency to think in the know rather than the big picture point of view. I watched the game 2 times since watching it live and waited on to the end to view the reaction of the team. It was one of disgust. I mulled it over and I have come to the conclusion that I think Weekes just lost some, if not all of teammates. They worked their butts off and he let in a weak, weak goal (marty brodeur vs NYR in playoffs weak goal). The look on Ortmeyer's face told me a whole lot. Renney was just disgusted. He caught himself waving his hands in disgust and just walked away.

Teams get to the point where they either have confidence in their keeper(s) or don't. As a result they alter their play in front of the goalie. When the one they lack confidence in plays they play tentative, scared. This team does not have the prior experience as a group to warrant confidence that they will survie what we saw last night. Eventually they will play tentative in front of the goalie they have confidence in as well.

We've hit the halfway mark and even Renney knows whose #1, its Lundqvist. I would suggest that going forward Lundqvist gets the better team to play against and Weekes gets the starts on the road as a result.

Old
01-07-2006, 11:57 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
The look on Ortmeyer's face,.

was frustration because he takes personal responsibility for two goals against. I'm not blaming him, but I've read he blamed himself. It wasn't in disgust of his teammate. I don't get the sense there's too many selfish guys like that on this team.

Emotions are high, but it has nothing to do with the loss. You want to lose games like that when you give yourself the best chance of winning. Most feel that having Weekes in nets negates that. He could've played great and they could've won and I'd have the same opinion.

Closed Thread