HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia Eagles & NFL discussion

Closed Thread

Old
01-30-2012, 12:04 PM
kicksave27

vCash: 500
I can't believe they are keeping juan castillo. I want to like the eagles, i really do, but they just keep flipping off the fans every chance they get.

Old
01-30-2012, 02:11 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I can't believe they are keeping juan castillo. I want to like the eagles, i really do, but they just keep flipping off the fans every chance they get.
Smug organization is smug. They can do no wrong.

Old
01-30-2012, 03:04 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
I think the defense will be better than last year but they seriously need to upgrade their linebackers, if they do not address that early in the draft and in free agency I will start looking for a new team to cheer for until fat ass is gone. Joe Banner has referred to insanity of doing the same thing over and expecting different results, well they are insane.

Old
01-30-2012, 03:10 PM
Amateur Hour

Honestly, who cares? Aren't you guys totally apathetic yet? I've never had a team I love drive me away and make me not care, but the Eagles have done it. I'm not even excited about next season, regardless of what may happen this offseason. Why? Because I know an empty 10- or 11-win season and a first or second round exit from the playoffs is the best this coaching staff, with this collection of talent, can achieve. What's worse is that result will likely earn Andy a contract extension, and the franchise can continue sitting in neutral or going in reverse for however many more years.

Before last season, I wrote in an article that the Eagles, despite all the praise they got for the free agent spending spree, were fundamentally flawed (linebackers, safeties, play-calling, in-game coaching, overall philosophies, etc.) and destined for a monumental failure. And, well, would you look at what happened. This might be a good time to share the following two things:

1) The Eagles have not drafted an impact player on defense since 2005 (Trent Cole) -- this is the reason Roseman/Banner went out and spent all that money on free agents, to compensate for the dearth of talent on that side of the ball.

2) The Arizona Cardinals have more playoff wins (4) than the Eagles (3) since 2005.

And to top it all off, the organization treats the fans like a bunch of idiot lemmings. I, for one, am tired of the whole act. I have been for over a year now (since the loss to Green Bay in the playoffs). Plus, the Eagles don't play a brand of football that I can be proud of. They're soft, weak-willed, spineless, and passionless -- yet the players think they're God's gift to football. Get ready for some more of the same ****, different season in 2012.

Old
01-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Justified
Amaro out

^ Ive been apathetic since they lost to Arizona in the conference championship game, since then I dont watch them on a regular basis like I used to. The major problem like you pointed out is Reid's inability to draft good defensive players. he has been terrible at that, plus the fact that he hires a offensive coach to run a defense with very few playmakers and it was a disaster from the start. like i said I do think the defense will be better than this years, who how who knows how much.

Old
01-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
^ Ive been apathetic since they lost to Arizona in the conference championship game, since then I dont watch them on a regular basis like I used to. The major problem like you pointed out is Reid's inability to draft good defensive players. he has been terrible at that, plus the fact that he hires a offensive coach to run a defense with very few playmakers and it was a disaster from the start. like i said I do think the defense will be better than this years, who how who knows how much.
Oh, that loss to the Cardinals in the NFC Championship Game was THE emphatic end to the era... only further emphasized with JJ's passing six months later. It just figured that the one time the offense came through in a big playoff game the way it did in coming back against Arizona, it would be JJ's defense -- which had been the backbone throughout the Andy Reid era -- that would falter and blow the game. That's when I knew it wasn't meant to be.

Around and around we go, where and when this nightmare will stop, nobody knows.

Old
01-30-2012, 04:01 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
I still watch the games, but just don't get excited about this team like I used to.

Old
01-30-2012, 04:18 PM
kicksave27

The gold standard just turned out to be fools gold.

Old
01-30-2012, 10:57 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post
Honestly, who cares? Aren't you guys totally apathetic yet? I've never had a team I love drive me away and make me not care, but the Eagles have done it. I'm not even excited about next season, regardless of what may happen this offseason. Why? Because I know an empty 10- or 11-win season and a first or second round exit from the playoffs is the best this coaching staff, with this collection of talent, can achieve. What's worse is that result will likely earn Andy a contract extension, and the franchise can continue sitting in neutral or going in reverse for however many more years.

Before last season, I wrote in an article that the Eagles, despite all the praise they got for the free agent spending spree, were fundamentally flawed (linebackers, safeties, play-calling, in-game coaching, overall philosophies, etc.) and destined for a monumental failure. And, well, would you look at what happened. This might be a good time to share the following two things:

1) The Eagles have not drafted an impact player on defense since 2005 (Trent Cole) -- this is the reason Roseman/Banner went out and spent all that money on free agents, to compensate for the dearth of talent on that side of the ball.

2) The Arizona Cardinals have more playoff wins (4) than the Eagles (3) since 2005.

And to top it all off, the organization treats the fans like a bunch of idiot lemmings. I, for one, am tired of the whole act. I have been for over a year now (since the loss to Green Bay in the playoffs). Plus, the Eagles don't play a brand of football that I can be proud of. They're soft, weak-willed, spineless, and passionless -- yet the players think they're God's gift to football. Get ready for some more of the same ****, different season in 2012.
if you want apathy, read the rest of my comments in the Eagles thread(s). I've been ready for major change since we lost the Super Bowl, in large part due to time management. It hasn't gotten better since, and many other things have gotten worse. And off the field issues piss me off too. The entire organization really is smug.

Old
01-31-2012, 08:05 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Apathetic is a pretty good word to describe my current state of being an Eagles fan.

I was absolutely devastated after the Super Bowl loss. Even though I knew that the Eagles were the underdog, an Eagles loss was not a possible outcome on my horizon. I knew they were going to win that game. Well, they didn't. When they lost to the Saints 2 years later I was disappointed but accepted that the Saints were just a better team.

I guess every fan has his breaking point, and the Cardinals game 2 years later was mine. Once again I was devastated after the game, but for a different reason. On that night the realization finally hit me that they are not going to win it. Not with this staff. Something inside of me died in that game, that something that no matter what happened I always believed they were going to win it in the end. They won't, they simply won't. No matter how many things go their way, they will find a way to lose it. That's why the losses to the Cowboys 2 years ago and to the Packers last year didn't sting one bit. It was just the inevitable happening, the Eagles losing in the playoffs.

This year, I was once again devastated by the loss of the Ravens. An intense feeling of disappointment I haven't felt after an Eagles loss for quite some time now. And I have to agree with everything Amateur Hour said, I also hate the way the Eagles are playing. Soft, weak-willed, spineless, and passionless. Attributes I hate in a football team and every one described the Eagles perfectly.

Old
01-31-2012, 09:03 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
The gold standard just turned out to be fools gold.
Well stated. Any bets what the fat man has to say today? Along the lines that the defence played better the last month. Only gave up x amount of points the last month. etc etc etc. That organization must think that the fans are so stupid that they accept this crap. Shame, but I wish them nothing but bad luck until the fat man and the dog killer are gone.

Dream Team

Old
01-31-2012, 10:43 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Well stated. Any bets what the fat man has to say today? Along the lines that the defence played better the last month. Only gave up x amount of points the last month. etc etc etc. That organization must think that the fans are so stupid that they accept this crap. Shame, but I wish them nothing but bad luck until the fat man and the dog killer are gone.

Dream Team
Whatever happens, I'm sure he'll be snarky and pretentious with the media for waiting almost a month to have his end-of-year press conference

Old
01-31-2012, 12:23 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

From the sounds of things (I believe it's still going....looong press conf.) he's saying all the right things, and being open and honest about the season. Not the usual, calculated Big Red responses.

But at the same time, he really didn't have any answers to the problems.

Old
01-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
From the sounds of things (I believe it's still going....looong press conf.) he's saying all the right things, and being open and honest about the season. Not the usual, calculated Big Red responses.

But at the same time, he really didn't have any answers to the problems.
The press conference was all well and good, and I appreciated Andy's candidness and openness. It really seemed like he was making a concentrated effort to be more forthcoming and honest and not talk down to the media. However, we're long past the point with this franchise where words mean anything. Unless the actions reflect a change in organizational philosophy, what is said by Lurie, Reid, Roseman, Banner, et al. will be nothing but a bunch of hot air meant to appease the fans who are too gullible to understand they're being treated like morons.

Old
01-31-2012, 12:57 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
The press conference was all well and good, and I appreciated Andy's candidness and openness. It really seemed like he was making a concentrated effort to be more forthcoming and honest and not talk down to the media. However, we're long past the point with this franchise where words mean anything. Unless the actions reflect a change in organizational philosophy, what is said by Lurie, Reid, Roseman, Banner, et al. will be nothing but a bunch of hot air meant to appease the fans who are too gullible to understand they're being treated like morons.
Agreed, and it starts with the draft.

IMO...
QB: Need a backup who can start someday, round 3-5
RB: we're fine
WR: we're fine, even if we do lose DeSean, I think Avant and Cooper can step up and a healthy Maclin can be a #1
TE: we're fine
OL: went from one of the worst OLs to one of the best in the span of weeks last season. I would draft some depth guys late, rounds 5-7
DL: I think we're ok
LB: Draft early and often, rounds 1-5
CB: Wouldn't mind a solid young depth CB that Nnamdi can mentor for a couple years, round 2-5
S: Not comfortable with the health of Allen, or the ability of Coleman and Jarrett, I'd draft another one for competition's sake, round 3-5

Right now we have:
rd1 (15): LB
rd2 (14): LB
rd2 (19): S
rd3 (13): CB
rd4 (4): QB
rd4 (19): LB
rd5 (18): OL
rd6 (17): Big RB
rd6 (25): OL
rd6 (32): WR/TE

That's what I'd look to do in the draft if I was running this ship

Old
01-31-2012, 01:31 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Agreed, and it starts with the draft.

IMO...
QB: Need a backup who can start someday, round 3-5
RB: we're fine
WR: we're fine, even if we do lose DeSean, I think Avant and Cooper can step up and a healthy Maclin can be a #1
TE: we're fine
OL: went from one of the worst OLs to one of the best in the span of weeks last season. I would draft some depth guys late, rounds 5-7
DL: I think we're ok
LB: Draft early and often, rounds 1-5
CB: Wouldn't mind a solid young depth CB that Nnamdi can mentor for a couple years, round 2-5
S: Not comfortable with the health of Allen, or the ability of Coleman and Jarrett, I'd draft another one for competition's sake, round 3-5

Right now we have:
rd1 (15): LB
rd2 (14): LB
rd2 (19): S
rd3 (13): CB
rd4 (4): QB
rd4 (19): LB
rd5 (18): OL
rd6 (17): Big RB
rd6 (25): OL
rd6 (32): WR/TE

That's what I'd look to do in the draft if I was running this ship
Ah, yes, the draft. This is my **** right here. I actually write a blog and contribute to SB Nation Philly and Bleeding Green Nation, so the next few months will be heavy with draft content from me. I put out my Senior Bowl preview on my blog last week if you want to take a look (link: http://dklausner.tumblr.com/).

As for the needs you highlighted, that looks about right. However, don't be surprised if the Eagles end up taking a DE or DT with their #1 pick, especially if a suitable LB isn't on the board. Cole will turn 30 next season, Babin turns 32 in May, Jenkins just turned 31, Patterson will be turning 29 (same with Derek Landri, who obviously should be re-signed). Antonio Dixon will be turning 27 and is coming off a torn triceps. Brandon Graham is still a wildcard, especially because of his health. The DL needs a youth and talent infusion.

Also, I'd love if the Eagles followed the example of the elite teams in the league and took a big, athletic freak TE to complement Celek and Harbor. Coby Fleener (Stanford) and Ladarius Green (Louisiana-Lafayette) are intriguing possibilities, though Green is more a WR/TE hybrid who was never really kept in-line to block in college.

Old
01-31-2012, 01:47 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
I will do something unspeakable of the Eagles drafted 2 linebackers in the first 2 rounds.

I think one of those 2 2nd's end up being a QB, after the Eagles trade down 4 times.

I also agree that they need a big WE/TE Graham/Finley type. Celek is a good TE, but he is at his ceiling. He's never going to be a Pro-Bowler, and that's the way teams are going. Wouldn't be shocked if the Saints take another actually.

Old
01-31-2012, 02:05 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I will do something unspeakable of the Eagles drafted 2 linebackers in the first 2 rounds.

I think one of those 2 2nd's end up being a QB, after the Eagles trade down 4 times.

I also agree that they need a big WE/TE Graham/Finley type. Celek is a good TE, but he is at his ceiling. He's never going to be a Pro-Bowler, and that's the way teams are going. Wouldn't be shocked if the Saints take another actually.
My favorite QB prospect in college football is Geno Smith. I've been high on him since last year and think he's a Randall Cunningham clone, except a better passer. Only problem is Geno's coming out for the 2013 draft, not this one. I'd love for the Eagles to draft him.

Celek only won't be a Pro Bowler because he's in the same conference as Jimmy Graham, Vernon Davis, and Jermichael Finley. It's not because he doesn't have the talent (he's still underrated around the league, even by Eagles fans). Celek is easily -- yes, easily -- a 1000-yard receiver at the TE position if he gets enough targets and by far the most dependable pass catcher on the roster. That said, he'd be even more dangerous with a freak TE to complement his abilities.

Old
01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Justified
Amaro out

I would personally like them to draft a linebacker in the 1st round and bring in a solid veteran in free agency. Then in the second round with their two picks I would like for them to go safety, a run stopping end so Babin mainly plays in passing situations, or a qb. then in the 3rd round draft whichever ones they didnt address in the 2nd.

Old
01-31-2012, 10:42 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Ah, yes, the draft. This is my **** right here. I actually write a blog and contribute to SB Nation Philly and Bleeding Green Nation, so the next few months will be heavy with draft content from me. I put out my Senior Bowl preview on my blog last week if you want to take a look (link: http://dklausner.tumblr.com/).

As for the needs you highlighted, that looks about right. However, don't be surprised if the Eagles end up taking a DE or DT with their #1 pick, especially if a suitable LB isn't on the board. Cole will turn 30 next season, Babin turns 32 in May, Jenkins just turned 31, Patterson will be turning 29 (same with Derek Landri, who obviously should be re-signed). Antonio Dixon will be turning 27 and is coming off a torn triceps. Brandon Graham is still a wildcard, especially because of his health. The DL needs a youth and talent infusion.

Also, I'd love if the Eagles followed the example of the elite teams in the league and took a big, athletic freak TE to complement Celek and Harbor. Coby Fleener (Stanford) and Ladarius Green (Louisiana-Lafayette) are intriguing possibilities, though Green is more a WR/TE hybrid who was never really kept in-line to block in college.
Great blog and thanks for the info. The homer in me is coming out, since we're running the wide-9 I'd love for us to take a shot with my boy Vinny Curry. I just graduated with him in December at Marshall, and the kid's got a motor. Had a hell of a Senior Bowl, and runs a 4.6 at 265. Figure he'd be a good guy to add to the rotation. The thing is, I'm not sure where he'll go. Marshall guys typically drop in the draft (and end up turning out to be steals: Moss dropped, Pennington dropped, Leftwich dropped, Bradshaw was the 5th to last pick in the draft and is now starting in his 2nd super bowl). Right now he's projected as a 1-2 rounder.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:23 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
If the Eagles pick a linebacker in the first and second round, I'll change my name to I <3 Sidney Crosby.

Old
02-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Great blog and thanks for the info. The homer in me is coming out, since we're running the wide-9 I'd love for us to take a shot with my boy Vinny Curry. I just graduated with him in December at Marshall, and the kid's got a motor. Had a hell of a Senior Bowl, and runs a 4.6 at 265. Figure he'd be a good guy to add to the rotation. The thing is, I'm not sure where he'll go. Marshall guys typically drop in the draft (and end up turning out to be steals: Moss dropped, Pennington dropped, Leftwich dropped, Bradshaw was the 5th to last pick in the draft and is now starting in his 2nd super bowl). Right now he's projected as a 1-2 rounder.
A Marshall guy, eh? I've known about Curry for a while -- mainly because I liked Mario Harvey a lot last season, but it appears he's not an NFL player. I'm a fan of Curry's game and think he's going to be a good pro. The guy from Marshall who really intrigues me, at least from the games I've been able to watch, is free safety Omar Brown. Strikes me as a big time sleeper. I don't see him on too many draft sites and he's barely even mentioned in general, but I really liked what I saw of him (great ball skills, impressive tackler for the position). What's your opinion?

Old
02-01-2012, 12:53 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
A Marshall guy, eh? I've known about Curry for a while -- mainly because I liked Mario Harvey a lot last season, but it appears he's not an NFL player. I'm a fan of Curry's game and think he's going to be a good pro. The guy from Marshall who really intrigues me, at least from the games I've been able to watch, is free safety Omar Brown. Strikes me as a big time sleeper. I don't see him on too many draft sites and he's barely even mentioned in general, but I really liked what I saw of him (great ball skills, impressive tackler for the position). What's your opinion?
I agree, he stepped up the last couple seasons and played well. Led our squad in tackles. Not great at anything, but solid through and through. A good leader too. We had an ugly moment at the end of our bowl game where one of our young DLs took a swing at a prone OL on the ground after the final whistle, and Omar was the first guy there to pull him away. He gets it.

And I was waiting for Mario to go last season. Kid can play. Had a couple classes with him, he's a really down to earth guy. Really pretty short, so I wasn't sure he could be an ILB in the pros, but he can move very well, and put on some muscle, up to 257. The Colts signed him last week to a 3 year deal because he's been busting his ass after the Steelers cut him.

Old
02-01-2012, 01:11 AM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
I agree, he stepped up the last couple seasons and played well. Led our squad in tackles. Not great at anything, but solid through and through. A good leader too. We had an ugly moment at the end of our bowl game where one of our young DLs took a swing at a prone OL on the ground after the final whistle, and Omar was the first guy there to pull him away. He gets it.

And I was waiting for Mario to go last season. Kid can play. Had a couple classes with him, he's a really down to earth guy. Really pretty short, so I wasn't sure he could be an ILB in the pros, but he can move very well, and put on some muscle, up to 257. The Colts signed him last week to a 3 year deal because he's been busting his ass after the Steelers cut him.
Thanks for the insight on Brown. Sounds like one of those unsung hero types who flies under the radar but is that field general and "glue guy" every team needs. He should find his way onto an NFL roster.

Great to hear Harvey signed with the Colts. All the reports I read about him leading up to the draft made mention of his positive character and down-to-earth personality. I hope he gets a chance. Dude ran a sub-4.5 40! Crazy. Harvey was knocked for his height, but the guy's built like a brick **** house and I thought that was one of the reasons he'd be able to overcome being ~5'11". Plus, his production in college was just cartoonish. Appears as though Ryan Grigson was a fan of Harvey, as well.

Old
02-01-2012, 03:17 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Thanks for the insight on Brown. Sounds like one of those unsung hero types who flies under the radar but is that field general and "glue guy" every team needs. He should find his way onto an NFL roster.

Great to hear Harvey signed with the Colts. All the reports I read about him leading up to the draft made mention of his positive character and down-to-earth personality. I hope he gets a chance. Dude ran a sub-4.5 40! Crazy. Harvey was knocked for his height, but the guy's built like a brick **** house and I thought that was one of the reasons he'd be able to overcome being ~5'11". Plus, his production in college was just cartoonish. Appears as though Ryan Grigson was a fan of Harvey, as well.
Yup hopefully Omar goes late or gets picked as a FA.

Hopefully Harvey can be a difference maker in the league, he's got the talent. When we played Ohio St a couple years ago, they ran us out of the stadium, but Harvey stood out. He gave Pryor fits with his speed. I can see him being a force on special teams. 260 lbs bearing down on you during a kickoff, moving at a 4.4-40 pace...good luck.

I hope we can get Curry in the 2nd if he's still there. I still want a big, run-stopping LB in the 1st.

Closed Thread