HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jakob Silfverberg - SEL Champion and Playoffs MVP

Old
01-30-2012, 05:23 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny View Post
I see him winning the Calder next season.
Vs the likes of Yakupov, Grigorenko, Huberdeau, Granlund and Kuznetsov? It seems highly unlikely.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:48 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Vs the likes of Yakupov, Grigorenko, Huberdeau, Granlund and Kuznetsov? It seems highly unlikely.
Agreed. Some Sens fans really need to temper expectations or they could be massively disappointed ala Rundblad.

The whole Rundblad situation should have taught us a thing or two.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:52 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Agreed. Some Sens fans really need to temper expectations or they could be massively disappointed ala Rundblad.

The whole Rundblad situation should have taught us a thing or two.
Rundblad was never going to dominate this year... He's got the skills but he truly needs seasoning in the AHL. it's just not the same to play on small rinks. While I'm not saying Silfverberg will win the calder ( I dont think he will) I certainly think he will adept faster to the pace and small rinks than RUndblad did this year.-

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 05:59 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Rundblad was never going to dominate this year... He's got the skills but he truly needs seasoning in the AHL. it's just not the same to play on small rinks. While I'm not saying Silfverberg will win the calder ( I dont think he will) I certainly think he will adept faster to the pace and small rinks than RUndblad did this year.-
Silfverberg should adjust faster than Rundblad, I have little doubt about that. I'd even go as far to say that he should be able to come in, score 15-20 goals and take a big role as a PKer for a competitive team. There's just a lot of talent that is primed to come into the league next year, and I won't be shocked if some of those players end up as close to PPG players and top line guys in their rookie campaigns.

Rundblad might not even sniff the NHL till mid way through next season, but he's still a blue chip prospect with huge upside. Going to the AHL was the best thing for him. There was always going to be an adjustment period.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 06:08 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
Oh I completely agree, don't get me wrong.

Just after the Rundblad hype though I know personally I'm not going to have any expectations until he at least plays 1 game with the Sens. Some of our fans are getting out of control.

WasTeD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Minister of Offence

Jesus, saying he's going to win Calder is just asking to be disappointed or asking to be ridiculed by others in a year from now (because it's likely to be pretty clear he's not going to win it by Christmas, certainly).

Silfverberg's value is likely to be in his overall game, a very balanced player that can put up points, play well with the puck, do a bit of everything. He might put up 30-40 points next year and play a really solid overall game...and perhaps earn some PK minutes and really gain the admiration of his coach.

What he's unlikely to do is put up 70 points and win the Calder.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:38 PM
GreatStateofHockey

I would consider Silfverberg a favorite for sure, but by no means the top bet.

He will definitely adapt faster than Rundblad, as he uses speed and his wrester as opposed to the skill that Rundblad uses.

GreatStateofHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

Just after the Rundblad hype though I know personally I'm not going to have any expectations until he at least plays 1 game with the Sens. Some of our fans are getting out of control.
I'm not sure any of the Canadian Sens fans on the boards have ever really watched much of Silfverberg and very doubtful they've watched him this season in the SEL which is where a lot of the hype is coming from.

You can't take any of that seriously.

Old
01-30-2012, 07:51 PM
WayneBruce

A player like Landeskog is putting up around 40 points this year, i see no reason to why Silfverberg canīt score 50 points next year if he can handle the transition and is put in a top 6 scoring position. If his game doesnīt translate to the smaller rinks quickly enough he might need some time in the AHL, but he is going to be a solid NHLer in the future.

He is a bit of a "late bloomer" and was never expected to become a high scoring player when he played in the junior leagues, now he is the captain of his SEL team and one of the best players in the league while still improving rapidly.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Manny*

Silfverberg winning the Calder is my "bold prediction" for next season and I'm sticking with it. I realize he'll have his work cut out for him, especially with Mikael Granlund in Minnesota who will likely be the favourite.

I have very high hopes for next year, and believe the Sens can and should be a top team in the league provided everybody is healthy. If Silfverberg has a good training camp, I could envision him playing on the top line with Spezza and Michalek, in which case he should be very productive. If he plays his way into a top-six spot and earns powerplay time, which I fully believe he will, I don't think the Calder will be out of reach.

Manny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:59 PM
Kulemon

He sounds a lot like kulemin. I'm not sure how his skating is but if it's at least above average he sounds like a kulemin clone

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
A player like Landeskog is putting up around 40 points this year, i see no reason to why Silfverberg canīt score 50 points next year if he can handle the transition and is put in a top 6 scoring position. If his game doesnīt translate to the smaller rinks quickly enough he might need some time in the AHL, but he is going to be a solid NHLer in the future.

He is a bit of a "late bloomer" and was never expected to become a high scoring player when he played in the junior leagues, now he is the captain of his SEL team and one of the best players in the league while still improving rapidly.
After he got drafted it was said there are two camps regarding Silfverberg. Some that thought he was destined to be a good bottom 6 player in the NHL and another that thought he had a lot of scoring upside and had a much higher potential. When the Sens scouts were interviewed after the selection they said "offensive player, who's gonna score".

I think he's anywhere from he's a consistent 25-25 type of guy that plays a lot of PK and earns shifts in the 2nd PP. A player most appreciated by his coach...under appreciated the farther outside of his team you get.

He does have that shot...and if his ability to use it translates to smaller rink, he might score a lot. His release is insane. Not a dangler, for the most part not a flashy player....but his puck control appears very good and seems to serve him well with the puck near the net. He's gonna dig and play defense too.

Old
01-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

Very excited to see this guy in the NHL.
And coming from a Leafs fan... that should mean a lot.

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 05:49 AM
SChan*

Quote:

well for every rundblad, there is a erik karlsson and daniel alfredsson player that lived up to expectations.

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:05 PM
Destroyer100

Brian Murray said he would have made the team this season but he wanted to play another season over seas. He will definitely make Ottawa next season.

Destroyer100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:43 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer100 View Post
Brian Murray said he would have made the team this season but he wanted to play another season over seas. He will definitely make Ottawa next season.
Around that time Tim Murray was asked about the talent at development camp...he said something along the lines of, "don't even want to talk about Silfverberg, everytime I see him snap one right under the cross bar it pisses me off he isn't staying this year".

Old
02-01-2012, 02:56 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
I'm a pretty average poster. I don't have much upside.
Oh I just think you need some time at the AHL board, in a couple of years I'm sure you will have a pretty important role on the main board.

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:39 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
Oh I just think you need some time at the AHL board, in a couple of years I'm sure you will have a pretty important role on the main board.
Pretty sure he took the extra year in sel to avoid ahl

Old
02-01-2012, 04:35 AM
Tomas W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenze View Post
Pretty sure he took the extra year in sel to avoid ahl
My post wasn't meant to be read as an allegory of my opinion of Silfverberg the hockey player, I was just trying to be funny with the poster that call himself Jakob Silfverberg.

I am pretty sure Ottawa will at least give Silfverberg a good try with the big boys next year, he's ready for it.

Last edited by Tomas W: 02-01-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:49 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas W View Post
My post wasn't meant to be read as an allegory of my opinion of Silfverberg the hockey player, I was just trying to be funny with the poster that call himself Jakob Silfverberg.

I am pretty sure Ottawa will at least give Silfverberg a good try with the big boys next year, his ready for it.
Yeah he looks ready for it.

Old
02-01-2012, 04:58 AM
masterandy

Jakob Silfverberg just sounds a whole lot like Henrik Zetterberg

One came into the league at 22, the other will do the same.

Here's hoping.

masterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:30 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterandy View Post
Jakob Silfverberg just sounds a whole lot like Henrik Zetterberg

One came into the league at 22, the other will do the same.

Here's hoping.
And alfredsson came into the league at 23.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:43 AM
HSF

cant wait we could use a winger upgrade

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Carl33

second line winger next season ou 1rst line winger in the AHL may be...

long terme a poor alfredsson?

Carl33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:24 PM
KarlssonRegin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl33 View Post
second line winger next season ou 1rst line winger in the AHL may be...

long terme a poor alfredsson?
Nothing poor about Silfverberg, he'll surprise a lot of people starting next season. He'll slot anywhere between 2nd line winger to if everything goes perfectly 1st line winger in the future. As i think personally he has what it takes to be an elite player offensively and defensively.

KarlssonRegin is offline   Reply With Quote