HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Motivation

Old
01-31-2012, 11:11 AM
Digable5

vCash: 500
Motivation

At times I've considered that the new lockerroom and other luxuries Terry has given them has gone to their head. What have they done to earn them? Do they really appreciate what they have? Are they too comfortable?

Solution: They can only use their lockerroom if they win the game before.

Let's say they lose in Montreal. Their next home game against NYR they have to use the visitor's lockerroom. The Rangers will use their stalls, walk on their logo, and have all of their conveniences. (not sure how this might work logistically-equiptment managers)

It would bother the heck out of me, as a fan alone. I assume the players would be livid knowing someone else is in there. Not only should it push them to win so they can have it for next game, but also push them so they won't be traded and lose the lifestyle Terry has provided for them. Your thoughts? Not just about my idea, but others that could maybe change their current sad state of mind.

*minor detail, if they are on a road trip of 3 games or more, they not only have to win the last game, but also have a winning record on the trip.

Digable5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:14 AM
DixonWard15

Sorry this is pro hockey that sorta stuff only works on kids.

DixonWard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:16 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
I fail to see the problem

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:18 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

By extension, doesn't Pegula then have to pack up the kids in the van after every game and take them for ice cream, win or lose?

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:22 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixonWard15 View Post
So your solution is? Do the only what is in the NHL handbook for "professional behavior"? Fire an accomplished coach for a retread or unproven coach? Fire the GM who was "Jedi like" in the offseason and somehow became a bozo by mid season despite not making any moves? Or are you in the group that assumes because Regier doesn't make a move he must be playing NHL12 instead of doing his job?

All of the little jokes about this being PeeWee league-ish, come up with something that hasn't already been discussed to death. Is there an original thought out here?

Old
01-31-2012, 11:25 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

I'm sure plenty of players will want to come play for an organization that treats you like a pee wee player. Great way to attract premium talent.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:33 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechsack View Post
I'm sure plenty of players will want to come play for an organization that treats you like a pee wee player. Great way to attract premium talent.
Does it have to be permanent? Can it be for a month as a 'wake the hell up, guys!' kind of statement?

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:33 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Premium talent like Ville Leino? They play like PeeWee they get treated like PeeWee. This team needs a kick in the ass. We have no salary cap and roster space to bench any one (more need it) player. We can't send anyone down to the minors.

The stuff we've been doing isn't working and something drastic needs to change. I agree that a roster move is necessary, but Miller feels like that won't make a difference. Ruff and Regier appear to be safe. If we have to work with the hand we've been dealt (picked), what do you suggest to change the atmosphere? Again, I'm not looking for the same old stuff, come up with something original.

Old
01-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Does it have to be permanent? Can it be for a month as a 'wake the hell up, guys!' kind of statement?
Exactly. This isn't some new Sabres policy, but its a "wake up call".

Old
01-31-2012, 12:25 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Quote:
It doesn't matter.

Name one other NHL team that has pulled something like this when they've struggled.

This isn't college hockey and the response around the league would likely be players going WTF and it wouldn't help the Sabres case when wooing UFAs in the future.

And if that is what it takes to get this team to play better, they still have the wrong guys in the room.

I have a better idea, trade Roy or Stafford to Winnipeg.

And while I was at Clarkson, they did kick the varsity team out of their locker room and put them in the JV room. The JV team was pulling for their poor play to continue.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
We'd be the laughingstock of the league. And save the "We already are!" comments, as if we're the first team to ever spend a lot on payroll and struggle. If you want to pull a bush league move like this, don't expect good players to want to play for your organization.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:47 PM
TheyAreGoodScaryGood

Why wouldn't it attract ufas? If a ufa doesn't wanna come here and work hard than I don't want him to come here, I think most players that are competitors would respect it

TheyAreGoodScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:27 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

These players are multi-million dollar professional athletes. Treating them like a 9 year old isn't going to do anything to improve their play.

Old
01-31-2012, 01:32 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
These players are multi-million dollar professional athletes. Treating them like a 9 year old isn't going to do anything to improve their play.
I can totally see MAG throwing a fit though. We should do this just for hilarity.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:36 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProngersEyeball View Post
I can totally see MAG throwing a fit though. We should do this just for hilarity.
Now THIS I can get behind. (Related, I'm pretty sure I've seen 9 year olds that can play better defense than MAG.)

Old
01-31-2012, 02:05 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...191236322.html

Perhaps Pegula's positivity is the way to go.

It appears to have worked for the Pens.

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster

vCash: 50
With few exceptions, professional athletes are well motivated. What appears to be a lack of motivation is usually a sign of ineffective coaching. Players are unsure where they're supposed to be so they're unable to commit 100%. They might give 90% and hold 10% back in case they made the wrong decision so they can recover. Or they see teammates out of position and leave their own position to cover. This has been going on with this team all season long. You can provide incentives and disincentives to employees to be more productive, but they're not going to get any more work done until they understand what they're supposed to be doing and how to do it.

I think Brian McCutcheon's role was underestimated. He was the best teacher on that coaching staff. A guy might know everything there is to know about the game, but he can't coach if he can't teach.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:44 PM
brian_griffin
Measured Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffaloed View Post
With few exceptions, professional athletes are well motivated. What appears to be a lack of motivation is usually a sign of ineffective coaching. Players are unsure where they're supposed to be so they're unable to commit 100%. They might give 90% and hold 10% back in case they made the wrong decision so they can recover. Or they see teammates out of position and leave their own position to cover. This has been going on with this team all season long. You can provide incentives and disincentives to employees to be more productive, but they're not going to get any more work done until they understand what they're supposed to be doing and how to do it.

I think Brian McCutcheon's role was underestimated. He was the best teacher on that coaching staff. A guy might know everything there is to know about the game, but he can't coach if he can't teach.
Topic above worthy of separate thread?

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:53 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:

And you can't teach if you don't have a curriculum that works/makes sense/is effective? Or are the students unable to comprehend this curriculum? The forwards are horrendous in all three zones....is that ALL coaching?

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:46 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
And you can't teach if you don't have a curriculum that works/makes sense/is effective? Or are the students unable to comprehend this curriculum? The forwards are horrendous in all three zones....is that ALL coaching?
See, as an outsider, I would hazard a guess that it's both coaching and the players. The two are like opposing factions that just don't want to even consider listening to each other. I would use the comparison to the Tea Party and actual Liberals, but judging by the sluggishness on the ice and behind the bench, it actually just seems like the Tea Party against the Tea Party.

BackGroundMusic is online now   Reply With Quote