HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

What are some interesting players to target?

Old
01-31-2012, 11:11 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Chris Stewart in St.Louis...not that they'd absolutely trade him, but they're a team that wants to make a push now and they're playing well almost despite Stewart's dismal season. Not sure the Habs would even have the vets they'd be looking for, but he's someone that logically could be available.

Maybe Gill, Moen + 2nd from Calgary (or MTL's). They might be interested in two Stanley Cup winning veterans who they can choose to let go/re-sign at the end of the season, and the 2nd is pretty good to offset the fact Stewart is still a good young player with potential.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:13 PM
WhiskeySeven
Give her the Defence

Stasny is a good one to target imo

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:50 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 0
Vermette
Okposo
Clarkson
Thorburn
Phalsson
Weber/Suter/Parise

etc...

Are all guys I see in specific roles with the team that I'd acquire over summer.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:51 PM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Quite Honestly, the LA Kings are the perfect trade partners for us. They don't need Goaltenders (Price) so that is a advantage for us since it's one less obstacle to try to negotiate away from.

Doubt they ever will consider doing this, but I'd bid for Dustin Brown. As i said, doubt they trade him, but if Gretz got traded, anything is possible. I personally believe Plek is expandable only for the right price though.
I think the Panthers are the perfect trading partner for us. They are pushing for the playoffs and there D is depleted by injuries. They could also use a 2nd line centerman.

On the other hand they have an unusual number of prospects at the center position: Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Shore. All big. Two of them right shots.

A good fit.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:07 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Not a huge splash, but I'd love to see the Habs target Bickell and Beach in Chicago.

I'd kill to get David Clarkson out of New Jersey. A younger Chris Neil, who I like a lot as well.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

This is a 5 year building program needed, nothing will get solved July 1st of this year.

Get rid of Gauthier, a draft draft draft.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:28 AM
Bourne Endeavor
( _)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 5158
People, drop the Kesler trades. The cost would be astronomical to the point of hurting us more than helping. You want him, then it starts at Plekanec, Pacioretty and Subban otherwise Vancouver does not even entertain the idea. Frankly, they are still liable to refuse. Kesler is virtually as untouchable as you can get.

We are not acquiring elite players, and essentially not a center of that caliber, without an overpayment, thus defeating the point of a rebuild/retool. You acquire these players through young prospects who haven't proven anything; Hodgson for example, or via the draft. Signing a plethora of UFAs or making mediocre trades will produce the same results we've had for nearly two decades. We tried a band-aid solution after the Koivu era an it blew up in our face now. Can we do it right this time?

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:12 AM
Kikizaz

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Erik Cole ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Max Pacioretty ($1.625m)
Travis Moen ($1.750m) / Lars Eller ($2.000m) / Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.550m)
Arron Asham ($1.275m) / Jeff Halpern ($0.655m) / Ryan White ($0.625m)
Mike Blunden ($0.615m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Ryan Suter ($6.500m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($2.500m)
Sami Salo ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
Raphael Diaz ($1.500m) / Alexei Emelin ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($4.750m) / Peter Budaj ($1.150m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,078,533; BONUSES: $0
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $221,467

We spend far too long penned in their own zone. My plan would lend some very stable and reliable players for our young defense to learn from.

-Salo and Stuart would be offered 1 or 2 year deals. Stuart does not deserve nearly 4, but it should be around 6-7 million for the two of them.
-Halpern would a reliable player for our 4th line. He can kill penalties and can jump into the top 9 when injuries hit us. He would be offered a 2 year deal.
-Asham is not necessary, but would add some size/toughness. He would be offered a 1 or 2 year deal.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
If we draft Grigorenko, trade Plekanec for a 1st rounder.

Our centers would be

Grigorenko
Desharnais
Eller

That's pretty nice. 2C with size and skill and one small C with incredible vision and chemistry with Cole and Pacs.

Then on defense we have Diaz and Emelin that should be better next year. Markov is a big ? but if he's ready to go pair him with Subban (or Emelin). Then we would have Gorges and maybe try Beaulieu (or Tinordi, to replace Gill).

We don't need to overpay for a FA this summer.

Last edited by Nicko999: 02-01-2012 at 02:15 AM.
Nicko999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:33 AM
UnkleRuckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by habscup View Post
Where's gionta?
Oops lol, yeah i was going to trade him for picks

UnkleRuckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:49 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
We're retooling and will dump off some dead-weight from now until July 1st. What are some free agents, players and draft picks to target? You get points for originality and reasonableness.

The only rule: Don't ***** about management, just have some fun.

http://www.capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=2 - Habs Cap
http://www.capgeek.com/free_agents.php - Upcoming Free Agents

1. Parise - I think after we let AKost go (hopefully for a return) and find out exactly how much free space we have Parise will get a giant offer from us. We have the grit and the size on the wings, Parise could be what Cammy should've been - an elite scorer.

2. Vermette - I've always liked him and if CBJ is looking to dump I'd pick him up. He'd be a great/good 3rd line/2nd line centre.
Parise too small, sick of seeing smurfs out there. Be glad when that chapter be history to us.

I would throw big money at Suter, then trade Subban for #1 center. With Cammy gone, Gomez all but waived, and Kostitsyn traded will have caproom to sign a big name. If right center would look at trading Plekanec if deal is right. Suter be my 1st defenseman and Subban will bring franchise center we have been lacking since Muller.

Moore was pretty good here. I would try a low budget signing with him.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:04 AM
la25ecoupe

One big center.

la25ecoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:04 AM
Mike The Wall

These are the players I like (MY WISH LIST)

Rick Nash 6-4 219 27
Bobby Ryan 6-2 209 24
Ryan Getzlaf 6-4 221 26
Corey Perry 6-3 212 26
Tuomo Ruutu 6-0 205 28
Dustin Brown 6-0 204 27
Devin Setoguchi 6-0 200 25
Nino Niederreiter 6-2 205 19
Chris Stewart 6-2 232 24

Shea Webber 6-4 232 26
Ryan Suter 6-1 198 27

Mike The Wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:16 AM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Grigorenko, Yakupov...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Sorry to rain on the parade but for the ones wanting Parise, I really doubt he has intentions of playing here. He already said the money was important but he really wants to play for a winner that can compete each year. That is not us

The Habs need to target a big centerman, it will not be via UFA, so they need to figure out either trade up for Grigorenko or trade for a Center

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Why is everybody so obsessed with building a team of giants? When is the last time a really big team won anything in the NHL?

Washington for most of the last 5 years has been the biggest team and they continually fold in the playoffs. Last year Vancouver had a huge team and Boston still bullied and beat them. San Jose always has a very big team and they continuously lose out early.

Phillie used to have big teams and they never won anything, the last few years they have gone more and more to a fast paced skilled team. Their first 2 centers average 5'9" and about 170lbs...yet our fans want to trade half the team to have a 6'2" top line center.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:53 AM
PATCHESx67

Trade

Travis Moen For 2012 2nd Round Pick
Hall Gill For 2012 3rd Round Pick
Chris Campoli For 2012 4th Round Pick
Andrei Kostitsyn Only If You Get A First + Prospect ( If Not Re-Sign Him )
MTL 2012 1st Round Pick ( Top 10 ) + 2013 CGY 2nd Round Pick + 2012 3rd Round Pick For 2012 2nd Overall ( Draft Mikhael Grigorenko )
Thomas Plekanec + Andrei Kostitsyn For Bobby Ryan + 3rd Round Pick

RFA

Carey Price
PK Subban
Lars Eller
Ryan White
Mike Blunden
Raphael Diaz
Alexei Emelin

UFA

Ryan Suter
Tuomo Ruutu
Paul Gaustad

Minors

Gomez To Hamilton

2012-2013 Montreal Canadiens

Patches - DD - Cole
B Ryan - Grigorenko - Gionta
Ruutu - Eller - Bourque
Darche - Gaustad - White

Suter - Markov
Gorges - Subban
Emelin - Diaz

Price

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:53 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why is everybody so obsessed with building a team of giants? When is the last time a really big team won anything in the NHL?

Washington for most of the last 5 years has been the biggest team and they continually fold in the playoffs. Last year Vancouver had a huge team and Boston still bullied and beat them. San Jose always has a very big team and they continuously lose out early.

Phillie used to have big teams and they never won anything, the last few years they have gone more and more to a fast paced skilled team. Their first 2 centers average 5'9" and about 170lbs...yet our fans want to trade half the team to have a 6'2" top line center.
We don't need a team full of giants but we also haven't won anything with a team full of midget and we clearly see that Plekanec as much as I like the guy is NOT a #1 center. So at least at that position the Habs IMO do need to get bigger

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:00 AM
IceDaddy
Bound for Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
FAs are what got us into trouble in the first place. Focus on picks and prospects. Enough with the quick fixes. Parise isn't going to solve anything.
This.

IceDaddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Jaymo
Rookie User

Realistically, Ryan Suter wants to go to a winning team. Unless we really open the vaults (which we can't, given our cap jam) we don't have an opportunity to go acquire any big guns via the free agent market. With that said, I think Jeff Carter is the guy Montreal should try to get. The Carter-Nash experiment hasn't produced the results the Colombus brass really wanted (I know Carter is injured, but these two shoot-first players haven't produced the chemistry that everyone expected.) Tomas Plekanec in a package deal could get Carter in Montreal (Carter + 5th for Plek + CGY's 2nd 2013 + 4th 2012). At 6"4, Carter is that big center Montreal needs to move forward.
Then again, he may not be on the market...

Jaymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:30 AM
29dryden29

vCash: 60
I would like to see us go after Cody Hodgson send them Pleks for Hodgson and a prospect. Hodgson has 14 goals playing between the 3rd line and 4th line in Van City.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Jaymo
Rookie User

Just some more food for thought, I was looking through some stats and I saw a name habs fan are familiar with...
Vincent Lecavalier.
I'm not going to begin the fanboy-fest again but despite his "poor play" (I guess a 70-point season is poor for someone like him) he still fits what Montreal needs. Yes I know the contract is outrageous but for someone who is practically playing alone (bear in mind he doesn't see any time with Stamkos and Saint Louis) in Tampa Bay. If we can find a home (including the AHL) for our boy Scott Gomez, this deal could be more viable, although right now I don't see it as likely.

Jaymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:44 AM
otto bond

How about Huberneau....for Plekanec?

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:45 AM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymo View Post
Realistically, Ryan Suter wants to go to a winning team. Unless we really open the vaults (which we can't, given our cap jam) we don't have an opportunity to go acquire any big guns via the free agent market. With that said, I think Jeff Carter is the guy Montreal should try to get. The Carter-Nash experiment hasn't produced the results the Colombus brass really wanted (I know Carter is injured, but these two shoot-first players haven't produced the chemistry that everyone expected.) Tomas Plekanec in a package deal could get Carter in Montreal (Carter + 5th for Plek + CGY's 2nd 2013 + 4th 2012). At 6"4, Carter is that big center Montreal needs to move forward.
Then again, he may not be on the market...
With his bad season and his terrible contract, Carter is apparently available and the asking price is reasonable.

A year ago, everyone was in love with the idea of Carter centering our first line. Yes, he's had a bad year (as has everyone in Columbus) and he's been injured. But he's still young, big and skilled. I have no idea about his off-ice issues or his leadership skills, but I agree with you that he should be a trade acquisition for Montreal.

Plek + might do it. What's the + however?

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
We don't need a team full of giants but we also haven't won anything with a team full of midget and we clearly see that Plekanec as much as I like the guy is NOT a #1 center. So at least at that position the Habs IMO do need to get bigger
Why? Size as center has little impact on winning hockey games.

Detroit's top 2 centers are 5'11" and 193 and 197lbs
Rangers top 2 are both 6', 182 and 195lbs
Boston's top 2 guys are 6'1" and 5'11 and 194 and 178lbs

Those are the top 3 teams in the NHL with Boston also winning the cup last year.

Instead of worrying about Plekanec we should get him a high end skill winger, the role Cammy was supposed to play.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote