HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone Else Tired of Fighting For 8th?

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Moves Like Jagr

vCash: 500
Anyone Else Tired of Fighting For 8th?

I've been watching the Habs since 92. I've seen them win the cup in 93 but since then we've had limited success. Outside of a first place conference finish and a third round playoff appearance we've been a team continually fighting for 7th or 8th or even missing the playoffs.

I'd never cheer for the Habs to lose but this season seeing as there's a very good chance we won't be seeing a playoff spot I've not been mad that we're losing. I guess you could say I'm "Pro Tank". Obviously getting a top pick isn't a sure fire bet at becoming a contender, it is a step in the right direction. Maybe drafting a Grigorenko is the solution to our Center problem that we've had for many years.

I think our team isn't that bad actually but this season seems like a write off and we're in a good position to get a top pick in the draft and do a little re-tool in the offseason. We've got some good young pieces to build around and I don't have a sense of doom and gloom looking at our team. The point I'm trying to say is that I'm tired of seeing our team fight for the last playoff spot year after year, is anyone else tired of it too?

Old
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

10 on 10 for thread originality

Old
02-01-2012, 10:21 AM
Captain Smurf
Naively Optimistic

Yes. I'd like to see us actually compete for something.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:22 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves Like Jagr View Post
I've been watching the Habs since 92. I've seen them win the cup in 93 but since then we've had limited success. Outside of a first place conference finish and a third round playoff appearance we've been a team continually fighting for 7th or 8th or even missing the playoffs.

I'd never cheer for the Habs to lose but this season seeing as there's a very good chance we won't be seeing a playoff spot I've not been mad that we're losing. I guess you could say I'm "Pro Tank". Obviously getting a top pick isn't a sure fire bet at becoming a contender, it is a step in the right direction. Maybe drafting a Grigorenko is the solution to our Center problem that we've had for many years.

I think our team isn't that bad actually but this season seems like a write off and we're in a good position to get a top pick in the draft and do a little re-tool in the offseason. We've got some good young pieces to build around and I don't have a sense of doom and gloom looking at our team. The point I'm trying to say is that I'm tired of seeing our team fight for the last playoff spot year after year, is anyone else tired of it too?
Welcome to the boards.

Yes, I'm tired of the quick fixes that continue to pass for management trying to build a winner. These window dressing moves have done nothing but ensure mediocrity. We've needed a rebuild for a long, long time. Hopefully now it's coming.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:24 AM
WhiskeySeven
H0CKEYY1NS1DERR

None of us to be honest. This had the the first time it's been brought up to our attention. Thanks for your unique perspective, it's been eye-opening

Old
02-01-2012, 10:25 AM
MasterD

You're right, but I'm actually tired of having a boring team... I'd rather lose 6-4 in an up-and-down game than winning 2-1 with a Jacques Martin-style game plan.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:26 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
5 year plan

followed by top 10 team in the league

I think were doing great, we play better in the playoffs when finishing 8th anyways

Old
02-01-2012, 10:26 AM
llamateizer

the habs will manage to finish 29th to get the 2nd pick
NHL will go into lockout
the habs will finally pick 15th in a special lottery draft!

Old
02-01-2012, 10:29 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
NHL will go into lockout
Or the players selected is so happy he trips and falls down the stairs and suffers a career ending injury

Old
02-01-2012, 10:30 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

That's what happens when you build for a 6th to 10th place finish if the team stays relatively healthy.

Either there's a window or there isn't. If there isn't, why aren't we trying to get some young forwards that can carry the offense down the road. If there is, why aren't we trading to acquire someone who can carry the offense now.

It's like every year we're looking to see how the team shapes up instead of trying to make it go where we want.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:30 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
NHL will go into lockout
They'll pick 2nd anyway. The lottery draft was held because there was no hockey at all in 2004-05.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:33 AM
29dryden29

I am none too happy about how we are mediocre and have been for almost 2 decades. I grew up watching through the 70s and miss when our team and players and owners etc had pride in in the crest on the front of that jersey.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:33 AM
overlords
Hfboards

As others have said, this topic has been discussed ad nauseum. You can find it in quite a few threads with a bit of effort.

Welcome to the jungle.

Closed Thread