Notices

Zids Unhappy; Possible Waive No-Trade

Old
01-31-2012, 10:23 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 500
Zanon's been a real trooper about everything. Unlike Zids.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:24 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Everything I've heard about Zanon indicates that he's a hard worker through and through.

Where have you heard of him showing disdain for the organization?
I think it was more a reference to his refusing to comment to Russo a few games ago. But yeah, I don't think he's got an attitude problem. I think at that point he was either very frustrated with himself or had been told by management not to comment because of potential moves.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:27 PM
Kari Takko

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Never implied that he took the right route to deal with it, just that anyone who thinks it's horrible and wrong for him to feel the way he does is out to lunch.

Now if you replace "$4MM/yr" with "average salary for your job" do you think your statement's still true?

You said, sometimes you have to do what's best for you, so it was implied. I get what you're saying though. No one is ever going to be happy all the time about their situation.

Yeah, my statement is still true. Do you make all the decisions at your job? Do you agree with all of them? Do those decisions always benefit you?

BTW, 4mil/year isn't an avg nhl salary.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:00 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Yeah, my statement is still true. Do you make all the decisions at your job? Do you agree with all of them? Do those decisions always benefit you?

BTW, 4mil/year isn't an avg nhl salary.
You're right, it's a below average salary for someone with Zid's resume at the time he signed his deal.

You might put up with that, and most people would, for a short period of time. However, the average person wouldn't tolerate that for more than a month or two if they had any option.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:01 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Is there any overprice forwards we could get back? Or another overpriced defenseman?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:52 AM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Is there any overprice forwards we could get back? Or another overpriced defenseman?
Scott Gomez!!!

Longer answer: There are several but there is reason why they are overpiced.

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:54 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Zids is overpaid, he's injury prone, and is a former shell of himself.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
Zids is overpaid, he's injury prone, and is a former shell of himself.
He also earns more than he's worth, is quite a fragile player, and doesn't play like he use to.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:15 AM
fearthetrap

Rumor has it Marek locked Harding in a room and played goalie for him in the 3rd period. F5

fearthetrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:09 AM
vitogor

At this point, getting rid of Zidlicky is addition by subtraction. The damage has been done, and the sooner he is gone the better. Even if it means waiving him and losing him for nothing. Fletch and Yeo need to show that they are the ones running the show, not the struggling, disgruntled vets with fragile egos.

EDIT: Ah yeah, that damn NMC...

Last edited by vitogor: 02-02-2012 at 12:50 AM.
vitogor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:04 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
At this point, getting rid of Zidlicky is addition by subtraction. The damage has been done, and the sooner he is gone the better. Even if it means waiving him and losing him for nothing. Fletch and Yeo need to show that they are the ones running the show, not the struggling, disgruntled vets with fragile egos.
i believe he has a NMC (no movement clause) which means he can't be waived

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:26 AM
GORGO

I'm not condoning the player's antic's, but why give Yeo another excuse? He was brought in here to lead this team and ensure there would be no quiter's. This team is full of quiter's and it's obvious he's not communicating with his players cause Zid's isn't the first player to publicly or in Private complain about the coach's lack of leadership/communicaton..

GORGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:51 AM
CG5

what other players have called him out publicly? and please let us know of this inside ("private") information that you possess.

CG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:03 AM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

On one hand I feel bad for him because he has his family here in Minnesota and from what I read he likes it here, but on the other hand the team plays much better when he is not on the ice. I do not see him ever playing in a Wild sweater again. He will either be traded or waived because he is not worth his cap hit anymore.

He really should have kept his mouth shut about the whole issue.

Northland Wild Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Caior89

He had an average good "3 seasons" but he is lost now and dont want/cant adapt do the teams style, a winner style as we already saw. I really dont see him playing for us after this, the 15 games without him and the 16 with him tells a lot. Goodbye Zidlicky.

We will never know how to spell your name correctly.

Caior89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:34 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

As for taking it public, I'm not going to be so naive to think Zidlicky hasn't been discussing his displeasure with Yeo's decision. It says as much in Russo's piece. Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken this long to boil over.

I'm not going to let Yeo off the hook here either. I'm not too sure what he expected would happen with this situation. He's damn lucky this isn't happening in a franchise with real hockey media. He would be grilled ad nauseum and long before this point on a player like Zidlicky.

When the team continues to trot out this putrid defense with guys like Zanon, Stoner, Schultz, and Prosser; there's no reason as to why Zidlicky shouldn't be seeing time to attempt to get him on track. All I see is a coach (and staff) that is attempting to tweak his game into someone he's not and now has him subsequently so screwed up he literally doesn't know which way is up. It's all there in his quotes.

Coaching requires handling your players correctly and getting the most you can out of them and as time goes by, I can't say Yeo is getting it done.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:50 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
As for taking it public, I'm not going to be so naive to think Zidlicky hasn't been discussing his displeasure with Yeo's decision. It says as much in Russo's piece. Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken this long to boil over.

I'm not going to let Yeo off the hook here either. I'm not too sure what he expected would happen with this situation. He's damn lucky this isn't happening in a franchise with real hockey media. He would be grilled ad nauseum and long before this point on a player like Zidlicky.

When the team continues to trot out this putrid defense with guys like Zanon, Stoner, Schultz, and Prosser; there's no reason as to why Zidlicky shouldn't be seeing time to attempt to get him on track. All I see is a coach (and staff) that is attempting to tweak his game into someone he's not and now has him subsequently so screwed up he literally doesn't know which way is up. It's all there in his quotes.

Coaching requires handling your players correctly and getting the most you can out of them and as time goes by, I can't say Yeo is getting it done.
That seems to be a rather one-sided and not thought out position to take on coaching though. It's the equivalent criticism of Yeo as the complaints about Fletcher "not signing defensemen" last offseason. Sure, you can say "he's a GM, he should have signed some good defensemen." However, if you step back and let reality in, you ask the question "who could he have signed?" and the list of names leaves you pretty happy with no moves.

To an extent, yes, it's the coach's job to manage the players. However, "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" works in both directions. Yeo's system, which is a good system for the talent level we're working with, simply doesn't allow Zid to play Zid's game. He can't have that sort of free roam with this playing style, or with the personnel we have available. The PP might be a different story, but you can't just say "oh well Yeo needs to let Zid play his game" because while that might result in better stats for Zid, it will almost assuredly result in far worse performance by the team as a whole.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:58 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Yeo should not be blameless in this situation, but at the end of the day this is a product of Zidlicky's own doing. It's up to the coach to give the players a system to play in, but it's up to the players to put forth the effort, and the whole thing just sounds to me like Zids doesn't want to put forth that effort.

Quote:
Zidlicky, who turns 35 Friday, said of Yeo’s system: “It wasn’t me. It wasn’t my style. I tried to explain it to him couple times, but he wants something different. I don’t think I can change something when you are like 34 years old.”
This is the part that keeps getting to me. You can't change because you're 34/35 years old? Tough ****. If he does get traded, like we all expect, what if he gets traded to a team where he doesn't like that system? Is he going to track down that team's beat writer and give a tell-all interview to them?

Like I said, Yeo is not spotless in this situation as he obviously has known there has been a problem all year and it has gotten out of control. On the other hand though, it sounds to me like Zids is just taking his ball and going home because he's not getting his way. I can do without a player like that.

Engebretson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Good points by both of you, honestly.

I just want some kind of resolution. Now. Today.

I'm sick of hearing the rumors and whatnot, either get him working his ass off in practice in order to teach the old dog some new tricks, or ship him off to some team where he actually can have a shot at fitting in.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:07 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

You know Richards wants to get at least part of the Z-fense back. Zid was 0.5 PPG under Richards, and would have had 40 point seasons every year if not for injuries. You know Howson wants him and that $4MM contract. Zid + our 3rd for Columbus's 2nd. Make it happen.

/yes, I know, only Howson is bad enough to trade what's essentially a first for 1.5 years of a 35 year old defenseman and a third round pick

Old
02-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't see how Yeo is to blame at all. He has scratched a lot of vets who were terrible. Unless you're upset he didn't scratch Schultz, but Schultz has been better lately.

Zidlicky was out of the lineup for back to back games and the team won twice. Why would you put him back in if it's working?

Frankly I can't understand what Yeo was supposed to do differently with Zidlicky. Let him run around with the puck and lead the forecheck and pinch? He did that under Richards constantly and put up a -22.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:34 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

-22?

What would I do different? I don't know, I'd probably let him play. Especially on a defense this bad and a power play that is even worse. Yes, you can't give the guy free reign to do whatever he wants to do but creativity is needed on the roster. There's no need to squash it or be in the guy's head to the point where he's now a lost cause. Zidlicky absolutely takes some of the blame but Yeo's got to share it here as well. If he couldn't work with Zidlicky on this roster a decision should have been made a long time ago. Not let it boil over to the point it is now when the season is coming apart at the seems.

It's pretty easy to rip Zidlicky in all of this. In fact he's earned it. But it's also on Yeo that it's got to this point.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:57 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

A decision made to do what? Fletch is the one who has to make roster moves, not Yeo.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:14 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
A decision made to do what? Fletch is the one who has to make roster moves, not Yeo.
Not let him rot in the press box? Find something that works? Let Fletcher know he can't work with him and to make a move. We aren't privy to all that's going on but I'd suspect if Yeo would have made it known he can't work with him and to find a way, it would have been done by now.

Fletcher is responsible for providing the roster but Yeo also has to make due with what is there. When the defense is this bad and Zidlicky can provide what others just don't have, there needs to be some take and give, along with some creativity to find a role that works for him and the team. Just washing your hands of it and ignoring it hoping the problem solves itself just isn't coaching.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:15 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

The only things related to this I would question Yeo on are: 1) The power play. Zid is right that the power play is broken. You'd think that maybe we could give his free reign in that part of the game, since it's not a defense-minded time. 2) Taking this long. If things really were as bad as it has been made to seem, and Yeo choses the scratches, why did it take this many games for him to take drastic measures? I can understand that Fletcher has to make the Prosser call up to handle it the way it has been, but you'd think he could scratch Zid and play Lundin if things were as bad as they have been made out to be.