HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Running up scores

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-28-2012, 11:48 AM
  #51
mbowman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Toronto/Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 493
vCash: 500
In rugby, especially at the highest levels, it's disrespectful to lay off when you're blowing the other team out. it's a sign of respect to play your hardest for the full 80 minutes, whether the score is 7-7 or 80-0. rather than ease up when you're blowing out the other team, teams put in their subs, and work on the finer points of their game, try to spread the ball around and get some people touches who might not get many.

i've been on the winning and losing sides of blowouts in rugby, and the teams never really let up. when we were blowing out a team this year, we made a point of trying to have fun, playing a little more loose and open, faster, etc.

i can see the respect angle in playing hard throughout. it's also a good measuring stick for weaker teams, to track their improvement against the top teams over time. you can't accurately do that when one team lets up after half the game

mbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 08:03 PM
  #52
goalie29
Registered User
 
goalie29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
For me, it's not running up the score on it's own that's a problem. It's how the superior team handles it.

As a goalie, I hate it when decent players celebrate like it's the Stanley Cup final after they've had 10 minutes to dally around in front of me, or were the backdoor player on a 3 on 0. And it makes it 10-0. This one skilled, sand-bagging woman I used to play against used to scream and throw her arms in the air every time she scored in beginner house league. Yeah, get a grip lady.

I play with a mixed bag of players, and I can appreciate if a more beginner sort scores their first goal due to my team's ineptitude and wants to celebrate, though.

It's also annoying, mind you, when the superior team makes an obvious display out of "not trying". Just play an honest game, don't showboat, and hope the next one is closer.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:44 PM
  #53
RandV
It's a wolf
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,581
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyk16 View Post
Agree that maturity has a lot to do with this. There's no excuse IMO to be running up the score after, say, a comfortable 6 goal lead if you are playing a team that is clearly below you in skill level. Paying good $ to get to play has nothing to do with it.

It's a classy, polite move, and not a big deal to ease up on the other team if your'e spanking them.

People who run up the score are only thinking of themselves and their stats. Unfortunately, there's too many of those types in beer league hockey.
So why does the burden of maturity fall entirely on the winning side?

Besides, in my personal opinion when you're on the receiving end it's not so much the numbers on the scoreboard that makes the game hard, if the other team is good enough to blow you out chances are you're team isn't going to be in control of the puck very often. As a forward the game isn't as fun when you send most of your game in your own end and your line can barely even get a shot on goal. Keeping the score 7-0 instead of 14-0 isn't going to hide this.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:28 AM
  #54
nyk16
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
So why does the burden of maturity fall entirely on the winning side?

Besides, in my personal opinion when you're on the receiving end it's not so much the numbers on the scoreboard that makes the game hard, if the other team is good enough to blow you out chances are you're team isn't going to be in control of the puck very often. As a forward the game isn't as fun when you send most of your game in your own end and your line can barely even get a shot on goal. Keeping the score 7-0 instead of 14-0 isn't going to hide this.
Thanks for your reply. You've just made my point for me. Spending the entire game in your own end getting scored on repeatedly is no fun for either team. Decimating a clearly inferior team 14-0 is a classless, disrespectful move, period. These are the kind of players and teams that purposely play down a level in their league to win or score as many goals as possible to pad their stats. I would much rather lose a well played close game 3-2 than win a game easily with no effort 7-0.

Have enough class to take it a bit easy if you are up 7-0 on a clearly inferior team, and talk to your tier administrator if the teams are that imbalanced. Then move on to the next game.

nyk16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:36 AM
  #55
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyk16 View Post
Thanks for your reply. You've just made my point for me. Spending the entire game in your own end getting scored on repeatedly is no fun for either team. Decimating a clearly inferior team 14-0 is a classless, disrespectful move, period. These are the kind of players and teams that purposely play down a level in their league to win or score as many goals as possible to pad their stats. I would much rather lose a well played close game 3-2 than win a game easily with no effort 7-0.

Have enough class to take it a bit easy if you are up 7-0 on a clearly inferior team, and talk to your tier administrator if the teams are that imbalanced. Then move on to the next game.
It's certainly no fun for the goalies, that's for sure. In my last two games my team has been outshot 93-13 and outscored 16-3. The worst part is that I played really well in both games and still gave up 8 in each. Both games felt like 3 period penalty kills.

On the other hand, in one game the other goalie had a 4 save shutout (not a single shot was a tough save) and the other the other goalie gave up 3 on 9 shots. For that it's almost more trouble than it's worth to get to the rink and get dressed.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:32 PM
  #56
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
One thing I've noticed is that, in blowout games, the weaker team rarely ever changes their tactics to keep the score down. They just keep playing the team straight up, as if they were in a competitive game. They rarely decide to play defensively, collapse down in their zone and play a defense first-counter attack game. In my experience, even vastly inferior players can keep a better team off the scoreboard if they commit to playing very defensively. At least they can keep the score respectable. But most teams just keep trying to play an offensive game, which never works against a much stronger team.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:27 PM
  #57
Ozz
Registered User
 
Ozz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Hockeytown
Country: United States
Posts: 6,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
One thing I've noticed is that, in blowout games, the weaker team rarely ever changes their tactics to keep the score down. They just keep playing the team straight up, as if they were in a competitive game. They rarely decide to play defensively, collapse down in their zone and play a defense first-counter attack game. In my experience, even vastly inferior players can keep a better team off the scoreboard if they commit to playing very defensively. At least they can keep the score respectable. But most teams just keep trying to play an offensive game, which never works against a much stronger team.
I've noticed the same thing and it's true. That's the problem with too many players/teams, is that they don't think or play like a team with a plan.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:18 PM
  #58
michaelshu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
this might be a stupid question but...
what exactly does "running up scores" mean?

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:46 PM
  #59
capebretoncanadien
Registered User
 
capebretoncanadien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,882
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Apparently there was an U18 tourney in Asia where Korea beat Thailand 92-0. Yes, that is a final score in a hockey game.
Holy camoley. I played hockey in Korea for a couple years against a lot of high end university guys and dudes that played pro in the Asian league. They weren't bad...had a lot of individual skill but no idea how to play well as a team.

Mostly we all played together as a mixed bag. Sometimes we played as a bunch of Canadian/American/Russian guys against all the younger Korean guys that were good from time to time and though we won and lost a couple close ones these guys resembled nothing more than a highish end beer league team.

It was most hilarious when they would get sour and start playing chippy. Korean guys tend to be shorter and skinnier than western folk and we had a handful of really big guys that could hit like freight trains. One time in particular they had to stop the game because someone was going to get killed. Our big ass Rob Blakesque guys were just ruining people.

I can't even imagine how bad the Thai team must have been. Like....epically bad. They must have been out there in their street shoes with blindfolds on.

As for running up the score....ease up a bit...stop celebrating. Don't coast and make the other team feel like retarded babies or do like some other 'sport' was talking about and start playing with opposite handed sticks or something like that.

Just use your common sense. The Golden Rule is a good rule of thumb.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:31 PM
  #60
RandV
It's a wolf
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,581
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyk16 View Post
Thanks for your reply. You've just made my point for me. Spending the entire game in your own end getting scored on repeatedly is no fun for either team. Decimating a clearly inferior team 14-0 is a classless, disrespectful move, period. These are the kind of players and teams that purposely play down a level in their league to win or score as many goals as possible to pad their stats. I would much rather lose a well played close game 3-2 than win a game easily with no effort 7-0.

Have enough class to take it a bit easy if you are up 7-0 on a clearly inferior team, and talk to your tier administrator if the teams are that imbalanced. Then move on to the next game.
What i mean is even if the dominant team stops playing hard for more goals they're still going to control the pace of the game. Just because a team stops scoring goals doesn't mean they're going to back off and give your team some time and space to setup and make some plays in their end. While excessive goal celebrations is one thing, if there's a big gap between teams then it falls to the league to sort them out into proper divisions. The better team may as well just keep scoring to help put the emphasis on how mismatched the teams are.

On the other hand, it could be both teams are properly placed but one has a proper bench and the other has only 7-8 skaters. While I wouldn't recommend complete ruthlessness since you did pay for that ice time so you have every right to skate for your money's worth. Unfortunately for myself the team I've been on the last three years we've been the ones short more often than not and been on the receiving end of that many times, though we finally have a full team every game this winter season

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
  #61
UnrefinedCrude
Registered User
 
UnrefinedCrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,747
vCash: 500
I agree that it is the celebrating, hot-dogging and showboating that causes more ill will.

i remember a situation similar to the one an above poster stated about dumping it in, where another player (not me, I'm no star,lol),on my team did the same thing. The opposing defenseman and goalie both told us after the game over beers that that was more embarrassing than if ha had made a play. they understood our team was better, and we weren't rubbing their noses in it.

To be honest I'm not sure what the best way is to handle it. no one likes getting pounded, but conversely no one likes when the opponent obviously lays up.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:10 PM
  #62
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User
 
Bring_Bak_Damphousse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,136
vCash: 500
Don't like it when teams run up the scores, in my league tie breakers are determined by goals scored, so in instances like that it's ok. But I've been a part of and played against some truly horrible teams, and have always been unimpressed by guys who play hard until the final second, when up by a good margin. Usually when we have a decent lead more than 3-4 with a few minutes left, I'll retreat behind the net to kill some time. Alot of the time this gets just as many jeers as running up the score...it's a no win situation.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:47 AM
  #63
nyk16
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
What i mean is even if the dominant team stops playing hard for more goals they're still going to control the pace of the game. Just because a team stops scoring goals doesn't mean they're going to back off and give your team some time and space to setup and make some plays in their end. While excessive goal celebrations is one thing, if there's a big gap between teams then it falls to the league to sort them out into proper divisions. The better team may as well just keep scoring to help put the emphasis on how mismatched the teams are.

On the other hand, it could be both teams are properly placed but one has a proper bench and the other has only 7-8 skaters. While I wouldn't recommend complete ruthlessness since you did pay for that ice time so you have every right to skate for your money's worth. Unfortunately for myself the team I've been on the last three years we've been the ones short more often than not and been on the receiving end of that many times, though we finally have a full team every game this winter season
You have raised a good point that I hadn't thought of - that continuing to score will get the message home to the administrators that something has to be done to balance things out. I guess the problem is that the other team may not know that is why it is being done and get offended.

Other good points raised by others is that it can be equally humiliating to purposely coast.

I guess there really is no easy answer. I think the best solution is to just ease off a bit and not celebrate.

nyk16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:25 AM
  #64
sanityplease
Registered User
 
sanityplease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 748
vCash: 50
If it's rec type hockey, there's no reason to run up the score 8-0, 10-2 etc. Especially if the better team should be in a more difficult league than the lesser. If it happens, the better team is classless.

I was on the bad end of one of these a few weeks ago. Once it was clear what was happening, I shadowed their best player, didn't give him any space & got my body between his & the puck whenever he had it. The rest of his team might have had fun but I can guarantee he didn't.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:54 AM
  #65
Narut
Registered User
 
Narut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Germany - Wolfsburg
Country: Germany
Posts: 20
vCash: 500
i remember when i was a child and we played for a promotion to a higher league.

we were a normal unprofessional team but we were too good for our league so we could chose to continue to play in our old league or to try the promotion games vs. semi pro teams (kids in hockey baording school), more or less the youth teams of our highest adult league. we decided to go the hard way

so we lost every game with more than 15 goal against. but that one game our goal was just to stay under 10, but we didnt made it. it was like 11, so very close, but it seemed that the enemy team was angry about it, they thought they would ve won higher. so what did they do? 2 or more minutes before the game ended (0:11) they switched their goalie for another player and made big pressure.

in our opinion it was very disrespectful and we complained after the shake hands etc. the enemy coach said that they wanted us to score a goal, but no way. they just tried too hard to score their own goal for that...

pretty much the most unfair and disrespectful thing i experienced in my ice hockey "career"


Last edited by Narut: 02-01-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Narut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
  #66
PuckHogs29
Registered User
 
PuckHogs29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 2,556
vCash: 500
There's definitely a right way and a wrong way. I've been on the end of blowouts in higher divisions where a team had some former older minor pro guys, had been playing for years and they were so good positionally and knew each other so well that they just scored goals from being really good fundamentally. They'd beat some teams 8-0 or 9-3 by finding open seams, being in the right place, taking care of their own zone and just playing great hockey.

I've also been on the end of blowouts where the team had guys that clearly didn't belong in that division, and no matter how many goals they scored those guys were still hot dogging and whooping it up. Passing between their legs, dangling through 3 or 4 guys and then making 4 moves on the goalie and then acting like they were about to win a playoff series because they beat an average D5 team when they're D1 players.

Now guess which team got more respect at their respective rinks?

PuckHogs29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:42 PM
  #67
RandV
It's a wolf
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,581
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckHogs29 View Post
There's definitely a right way and a wrong way. I've been on the end of blowouts in higher divisions where a team had some former older minor pro guys, had been playing for years and they were so good positionally and knew each other so well that they just scored goals from being really good fundamentally. They'd beat some teams 8-0 or 9-3 by finding open seams, being in the right place, taking care of their own zone and just playing great hockey.

I've also been on the end of blowouts where the team had guys that clearly didn't belong in that division, and no matter how many goals they scored those guys were still hot dogging and whooping it up. Passing between their legs, dangling through 3 or 4 guys and then making 4 moves on the goalie and then acting like they were about to win a playoff series because they beat an average D5 team when they're D1 players.

Now guess which team got more respect at their respective rinks?
That's a very good point, there needs to be a clear distinction made between the team being that much better, and having a few individual players playing above their level and running up the score. Everything I've said has been about the former group.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.