HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Mason's future

Old
02-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Robert
Foligno family

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post

It was painfully obvious two seasons ago that Mason was treading down the same path, but instead of trading him while he still had some value, Howson signs him to a garbage contract.
True, there are many factors that have contributed to this horrible season and this is probably the most significant, Howson miss judged Mason in epic proportions...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:27 PM
EdwardG
North!

He's being paid a lot of money for 3 good months of goaltending a few years ago (thanks Scott for locking him up to an extension), but I still really feel bad for Mason. It's painful to watch him get abused night after night... the familiar sight of his head jerking back in frustration as he lets another one through.

I just don't like watching people humiliate themselves, and I mean that seriously.

EdwardG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:38 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Whatever does end up happening with Mason I will always be grateful for what he did that 08-09 season. Without him we may still be looking for our first playoff appearance.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:44 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Whatever does end up happening with Mason I will always be grateful for what he did that 08-09 season. Without him we may still be looking for our first playoff appearance.
True dat.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Thats My Hat

I've always liked Mason. He's showed a lot of promise before coming to the NHL. I just think his issue in net is mostly mental stuff, and I don't blame him. He was thrusted in net at the age of 19(?) give or take a year, and was pressured to perform and help get Columbus into the playoffs. Now he's 23, and he hasn't accomplished much if anything at all since his rookie season. That'd get into any young man's head, especially with the way Columbus works with young prospects (no offense, but you guys haven't really done a good job with your talented picks, especially the first round ones).

I think a change of scenary and working on his game in the AHL for a few seasons will help him a lot, and help regain his confidence. It'll also help with shrugging off bad performances.

P.S.
I'm not trolling or anything, I'm actually being serious. Mason may turn out to be a much better goalie on a different team.

P.P.S.
Don't even try suggesting Detroit should trade for him in any way. We have Jimmy Howard, and McCollum + Mrazek in the system. But another team looking towards their goaltending future may take interest if their goaltending is secured for the next few years.

Thats My Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:15 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats My Hat View Post
I've always liked Mason. He's showed a lot of promise before coming to the NHL. I just think his issue in net is mostly mental stuff, and I don't blame him. He was thrusted in net at the age of 19(?) give or take a year, and was pressured to perform and help get Columbus into the playoffs. Now he's 23, and he hasn't accomplished much if anything at all since his rookie season. That'd get into any young man's head, especially with the way Columbus works with young prospects (no offense, but you guys haven't really done a good job with your talented picks, especially the first round ones).

I think a change of scenary and working on his game in the AHL for a few seasons will help him a lot, and help regain his confidence. It'll also help with shrugging off bad performances.

P.S.
I'm not trolling or anything, I'm actually being serious. Mason may turn out to be a much better goalie on a different team.

P.P.S.
Don't even try suggesting Detroit should trade for him in any way. We have Jimmy Howard, and McCollum + Mrazek in the system. But another team looking towards their goaltending future may take interest if their goaltending is secured for the next few years.
What's an intelligent person like you doing rooting for a team like Detroit?!?

Old
02-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:

P.S.

P.P.S.
He was thrust into action to soon, at the time Hitchcock was the coach and the Jacket organization was under pressure to make the playoffs. In comes 19 year old Mason eager and focused to be an NHL player, lucky for him he had Hitchcock as coach.. for three months half of the team played goalie and Mason earned 10 shutouts and the Calder.

That is the story, the next season, even with Hitchcock something changed, half of the team stopped playing goaltender and Mason was exposed... he never recovered..

Old
02-01-2012, 10:45 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

And the truth is Hitchcock's system made Pascal Leclaire look pretty good too.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
I can't even remember so I default to you...agree.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:53 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
P.P.S.
I couldn't remember who Mrazek's rights were held by during the WJC, so I had to look it up. I then unleashed a torrent of profanity that shocked even my wife, who has not only put up with me for several years but also grew up as the daughter of a Navy sailor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
He was thrust into action to soon, at the time Hitchcock was the coach and the Jacket organization was under pressure to make the playoffs. In comes 19 year old Mason eager and focused to be an NHL player, lucky for him he had Hitchcock as coach.. for three months half of the team played goalie and Mason earned 10 shutouts and the Calder.

That is the story, the next season, even with Hitchcock something changed, half of the team stopped playing goaltender and Mason was exposed... he never recovered..
Truthfully, there wasn't much choice as to whether Mason was going to be thrust into action. Leclaire was injured (again), and the only goalies in the organization were him, Mason, Norrena (who was becoming ineffective), and Dan LaCosta. There ended up being two deals that same season to try to add some type of organizational depth, which was claiming Dubie...Dube....Dubei....Doobs and then trading for Kevin Lalande.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:07 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
And San Jose cast-off Ed Belfour, and journeyman back-up Robert Eshe, and currently Brian Elliott.

I think Columbus will probably hang onto Steve Mason. The goaltender trade market isn't good, and the only upcoming UFA goalies that have had even a little NHL success are old as dirt (Evgeni Nabokov, Martin Biron, Johan Hedberg, Chris Mason).

If they do choose to move Mason, I'm sure they'll find a suitor. If the New Jersey Devils could win 25 games with Scott Clemmensen a few years ago and can still win with 40-year-old Martin Brodeur, Steve Mason seems like a decent gamble on their part.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:56 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
The worst part is that GMSH was so sure that Mase would return to form that he signed him to an extension.

Which means they'll be paying him $3.2M to sit in the AHL next year, unless they get lucky and somebody takes a chance on him. Great job, Scott.
They'll buy him out. He only has one year left on his contract which makes buying him out easy.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:06 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:
I was waiting for a response, you nailed it Patrick.. Actually that was Bryzgalov hoping Mason is traded for Bobrovsky...
Philly has Bryzgalov making 5+ million a year. No chance they take on 3.2 million for a backup. A straight up Bryzgalov for Mason is much more likely. But even that would never happened.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:11 AM
nhlfan9191

Quote:

Mason is a terrible goalie now. No doubt. But I don't think it was just the team playing infront of him that led to his Calder trophy. I remember watching games where he was playing like god. This organization damaged him. Never seen so many wrong turns taken with one player in my life.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:47 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Mason is a terrible goalie now. No doubt. But I don't think it was just the team playing infront of him that led to his Calder trophy. I remember watching games where he was playing like god. This organization damaged him. Never seen so many wrong turns taken with one player in my life.
What's hat they say about hingsight being 20/20? Oh, yeag - "Hindsight is 20/20." Although, in fairness to the concept of revisionist history, there's some revisionist history in there as well.

Mason's issues start and end with Mason. There have been some organizational missteps in building a team (duly outlined in pretty much every other thread currently active on thids forum, if you're interested) that have contributed to his decline, but being able to handle neither success nor failure is the crux of what has brought Mason down.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:33 AM
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan

Quote:
Leclaire was very good in PO in Sens too. But it is probably right, because Hitch concentrades on good work defense in the front of the net and good positional defense.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:36 AM
CBJCougar

I still think Mason needs glasses. He has depth issues.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Xoggz22

Personally, I think Mason provided Columbus with a false sense of hope when he was rookie of the year. I don't mean it was HIS fault but his incredible play as a rookie put Columbus into a position where we thought we were so close to being a playoff team every year. Look at the team in front of him and you'll see a group that had career years. The team in front of him played very well, a good system and Mason was confident.

He became cocky and over confident and when the team cracked in front of him....well the rest is history. He has no position in Columbus in my opinion. I think he's like Andrew Raycroft. There will always be an option and maybe in the future he figures it out. He has a dough head with an amazing skill set. Gilbert Brule was the same way. Had the physical tools but not the sense god gave a goose.

I'm greatful for 08/09 but think that was the start of our demise through false promise.

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
His depth issues are in relation to his position on the depth chart.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:49 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
His depth issues are in relation to his position on the depth chart.
Ok. I was just watching him and he always seems to be responding a tic slower than he should and, to me, that signals he has vision issues. Not that it's easy to convince a young person that they need contacts. Just a thought. Guess it was wrong.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Ok. I was just watching him and he always seems to be responding a tic slower than he should and, to me, that signals he has vision issues. Not that it's easy to convince a young person that they need contacts. Just a thought. Guess it was wrong.
I was, of course, having some fun.

Double-Shift Lassť is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:56 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
I was, of course, having some fun.
Thanks DSL! We need more of that for sure!!

Old
02-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM

vCash: 272
Quote:

It's worked before, I think you could be right.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:31 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus Mike View Post

It's worked before, I think you could be right.
LOL!! I was working from personal experience but we can go with yours.

Seriously, the kid won the Calder. He knows how to play. His struggles have been awful and well documented. I blamed ego but that wouldn't have lasted this long, especially in light of the truth staring back in his face. I have to think it's physical.

Steve....get your eyes checked Hun. Your career shouldn't end due to vanity.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
I always thought he was farsighted...