HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Artem Anisimov

Old
02-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

vCash: 500
It's true, Anismov has been awful, but these threads only pop up after losses.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:05 PM
NYR Viper

Anisimov scored 37 goals and had 81 points in 80 games as a 21 year old in the AHL. He has legitimate offensive potential. He is slumping. So is Dubinsky.

Last edited by NYR Viper: 02-01-2012 at 03:12 PM.
NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:06 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Trade AA? No way! Same crowd that wanted MDZ traded away now is after AA. Chill out, fans! He will be back. Remember, once Torts Kind of Guy, forever TKG. The opposite, unfortunately also true, but AA is no Avery. AA is part of the core.
Never got the impression Anisimov was a Torts kinda guy...hes soft and often tentative out there. I happen to think it was masked a little last year playing in between 2 wrecking balls like Callahan and Dubinsky. AA just doesnt fit the mold, and isnt exceptionally good in any other area to legitimize big minutes (like you can with Gaborik).

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Anisimov scored 37 goals and had 81 points in 80 games as a 20 year old in the AHL. He has legitimate offensive potential. He is slumping. So is Dubinsky.
He needs to be benched. Just 1 game.

02-01-2012, 03:14 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
I love Anisimov and think that he is a good player, but he just does not fit in with this team. I would keep him unless he is dealt for a superior upgrade. He has regressed this season, and with the emergence of Steps, the pick up of Richards, he has been surpassed on the depth chart. I would package him and Wolski for a big time LW

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:19 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
It's true, Anismov has been awful, but these threads only pop up after losses.
Or they pop up after he goes 16 games without a point. Could have started this thread after the Boston game when it was 14 games without a point. Or Winnipeg when it was 15 games without a point.

02-01-2012, 03:30 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Never got the impression Anisimov was a Torts kinda guy...hes soft and often tentative out there. I happen to think it was masked a little last year playing in between 2 wrecking balls like Callahan and Dubinsky. AA just doesnt fit the mold, and isnt exceptionally good in any other area to legitimize big minutes (like you can with Gaborik).
AA is exceptionally good, period. Torts hates players that do not respond immediately to his "coaching". To his credit he excludes sophomores there. You also cannot judge a player by his second year.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
nevesis

Quote:
AA is exceptionally good, period. Torts hates players that do not respond immediately to his "coaching". To his credit he excludes sophomores there. You also cannot judge a player by his second year.
Have you ever played hockey?

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:35 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Callahan was demoted in the middle of a horrendous Sophomore season (Counting the 2007 playoffs he played enough to warrant a rookie season IMO), took his demotion like a man, and tore up the AHL.

It wouldnt hurt at all to send him down. He probably needs it. He's had a very interesting season and not in a good way.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Not going to say I'm enamored with his play this season, but let's look at the facts:

- Anisimov is a center, and his strongest qualities are in the defensive facets of the game. He's spent most of the season playing out of position, and in a role where he's had to turn his game upside down.

- This team still is an average offensive team. Awful PP, and the team's inability to establish any kind of consistency in the offensive zone is becoming more apparent as the season moves along. As disappointing as Artie may be offensively, isn't the same true for virtually the entire team? Aside from Gaborik and Callahan, and I guess Hagelin, who is putting up the kind of numbers offensively that leave you satisfied? Stepan has played better than Artie, especially offensively, but at the end of the day, he only has 9 more points. Artie doesn't see PP time, either. The team still has gaping holes in the lineup, and as a result, most of the forwards on the team are not really playing the role they should be. You can make the same thread about Dubinsky, as many have already pointed out. I don't see any reason why one deserves any more blame than the other. Each had a run of games where they put up some points, but they've both been largely ineffective for the duration of the season.

- Unless you are talking about a package deal where they bring in a massive upgrade, what would be the point in dealing him? Who are you going to get in return that is of more use to the club this season?

I've been saying for weeks now, why is Artie not centering a line with Hagelin? Their defensive prowess alone would result in offensive chances VIA transition, and Hagelin's speed could really create opportunites for Anisimov that he just doesn't get playing with other players. Of course, that'd be a lot easier a move to make if Hagelin wasn't the best option the team had to be the 1st line LW, but that goes back to the team's biggest obstacle to overcome.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:44 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Not going to say I'm enamored with his play this season, but let's look at the facts:

- Anisimov is a center, and his strongest qualities are in the defensive facets of the game. He's spent most of the season playing out of position, and in a role where he's had to turn his game upside down.
That argument is a double edged sword. He was thriving there earlier this season. He was playing with two talented players and producing. He was on his way to a career year.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
AA is in his 3rd year. In those 3 years he has not gotten stronger, more engaged, more confident, or any of the things you expect from a 3rd year player. I still hold out some sort of hope that he could be a 3rd line two-way center for this team, but the way he has played over the last 2 months is not just concerning, its scary.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Pizza

Quote:

- This team still is an average offensive team. Awful PP, and the team's inability to establish any kind of consistency in the offensive zone is becoming more apparent as the season moves along. As disappointing as Artie may be offensively, isn't the same true for virtually the entire team? Aside from Gaborik and Callahan, and I guess Hagelin, who is putting up the kind of numbers offensively that leave you satisfied? Stepan has played better than Artie, especially offensively, but at the end of the day, he only has 9 more points. Artie doesn't see PP time, either. The team still has gaping holes in the lineup, and as a result, most of the forwards on the team are not really playing the role they should be. You can make the same thread about Dubinsky, as many have already pointed out. I don't see any reason why one deserves any more blame than the other. Each had a run of games where they put up some points, but they've both been largely ineffective for the duration of the season.

- Unless you are talking about a package deal where they bring in a massive upgrade, what would be the point in dealing him? Who are you going to get in return that is of more use to the club this season?

I've been saying for weeks now, why is Artie not centering a line with Hagelin? Their defensive prowess alone would result in offensive chances VIA transition, and Hagelin's speed could really create opportunites for Anisimov that he just doesn't get playing with other players. Of course, that'd be a lot easier a move to make if Hagelin wasn't the best option the team had to be the 1st line LW, but that goes back to the team's biggest obstacle to overcome.
Great post. I agree with all of this.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:57 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
That argument is a double edged sword. He was thriving there earlier this season. He was playing with two talented players and producing. He was on his way to a career year.
That was a pretty small sample size, and I don't know about you, but I couldn't imagine a scenario where Anisimov as the 1st line LW was going to last for the duration of the season. This roster has no long-term solutions for the top 6 LW spots, but people around here are complaining that the short-term solutions aren't working. Isn't that the point? Of course, Richards isn't going to score enough when his LW is a rookie 3rd liner, a veteran grinder, or a Dubinsky playing like absolute garbage. Anisimov is a third line center playing 1st line LW. Him not producing like a 1st line LW is not something that catches me particularly off-guard.

I'd just like to see a season where Anisimov is actually playing the role he's ideal for before people make value judgments regarding him.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:29 PM
smoneil

Quote:
That was a pretty small sample size, and I don't know about you, but I couldn't imagine a scenario where Anisimov as the 1st line LW was going to last for the duration of the season. This roster has no long-term solutions for the top 6 LW spots, but people around here are complaining that the short-term solutions aren't working. Isn't that the point? Of course, Richards isn't going to score enough when his LW is a rookie 3rd liner, a veteran grinder, or a Dubinsky playing like absolute garbage. Anisimov is a third line center playing 1st line LW. Him not producing like a 1st line LW is not something that catches me particularly off-guard.

I'd just like to see a season where Anisimov is actually playing the role he's ideal for before people make value judgments regarding him.

I agree with all of this--Anisimov seems to have "Malhotra syndrome." We all thought he was going to be more than he is (and he still might--he's still very young). Instead of wanting to trade him, why not be happy with what we've got? A 40-point, inexpensive, defensively excellent third line center who, in a pinch, can fill in on the top 6.

IMO, the team is still missing two key pieces--1st line LW and 3rd line RW.

X Stepan Gaborik
Dubinsky Richards Callahan
Hagelin Anisimov X
Feds Boyle Rupp/Prust

Now if you can use Anisimov to get a clear 1st line LW, then you obviously have to do it, but there's no need to move him for the sake of moving him. If Lindberg or Miller eventually take that 3rd line C spot (something I think likely unless Anisimov learns how to win a faceoff), then they can think about moving AA, but until then? It's probably best to avoid moving him just to move him.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:31 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
I agree with all of this--Anisimov seems to have "Malhotra syndrome." We all thought he was going to be more than he is (and he still might--he's still very young). Instead of wanting to trade him, why not be happy with what we've got? A 40-point, inexpensive, defensively excellent third line center who, in a pinch, can fill in on the top 6.

X Stepan Gaborik
Hagelin Anisimov X
Feds Boyle Rupp/Prust

Now if you can use Anisimov to get a clear 1st line LW, then you obviously have to do it, but there's no need to move him for the sake of moving him. If Lindberg or Miller eventually take that 3rd line C spot (something I think likely unless Anisimov learns how to win a faceoff), then they can think about moving AA, but until then? It's probably best to avoid moving him just to move him.
He really needs to work on his faceoffs, if he wants to be permanently installed as a checking center.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post

X Stepan Gaborik
Hagelin Anisimov X
Feds Boyle Rupp/Prust

Miller is projected to be a 2C. But there's no way he makes the team next year. He's eligible to play in the AHL next year, so we'll see how he does there first. I really like the kid.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:51 PM
AdamBanks99
MinnesotaMiracleMan

"Torts also says that he will give Artem Anisimov shifts with different lines again tonight; says it's important to #NYR to get Artie going" - from jim cerny.

let's see how that plays out tonight.

AdamBanks99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:53 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBanks99 View Post
"Torts also says that he will give Artem Anisimov shifts with different lines again tonight; says it's important to #NYR to get Artie going" - from jim cerny.

let's see how that plays out tonight.
good , he's not going to score playing 4th line minutes. just throw him on with Richards and Callahan and move Dubinsky with Stepan and Gaborik

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:02 PM
egelband

i am not for moving anisimov. particularly because his value's so low now. but i also think he'll bounce back.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:03 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
He is still great in his own zone and his production is more or less consistent with a good 3rd line pivot.

Nemchinov had some seasons where he didn't have 40 points, I don't remember him having trouble finding work at the NHL level even after the Rangers.

02-01-2012, 05:10 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I just want a season where AA & Dubinsky don't endure these long scoring droughts. Seems to effect them every season....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:15 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
What about these lines:

Hagelin-Stepan-Gaborik
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Richards-Zuccarello

Maybe give Richards some extremely skilled players and see how he fairs...maybe the packline can get Anisimov going...
why do that to richards and callahan, dubi is scoreless in 6 anisimov in 16 and callahan isnt exactly the offensive dynamo that will just kickstart these two and who scores the goals on the Richards line?

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:19 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Not even going to bother discussing these, er, 'trades', but, I'm not ready to give up on Anisimov yet.

Has a young player never slumped before? I understand that 16 games without a point is unacceptable, but there have been many worse than that. Just look at Del Zotto last year--Didn't even finish the year in the NHL. It's a different scenario, sure, but you can't give up on a player like Anisimov, who has proven himself to be a solid NHL player, because of one rough stretch. Not all of the people in this thread are insinuating that, but some have.

I don't like the way Torts has been using him. Not just in this stretch, but all season. Even when he was going at a 60+ point pace, I feel that Torts played him too much. You play your best players, but it's been well documented that Anisimov's stamina is a weak point of his. If you play him 15 ES minutes, you have to minimize his PK time. There are other players who can play in that role. And now, he's playing him too little and with linemates that certainly won't help him elevate his game. I don't believe that he "isn't trying". I just believe that he's lost confidence in himself. He looks stagnant with the puck. He looks kind of lost defensively, even with the effort mostly being there, IMO. His problem is that he hasn't been noticeable in any sense, he's just going through the motions out there. What he needs to do is start going to net. When he goes to the net, he plays his best hockey. Get him a goal or two, help regain his confidence, and he'll start to play better. Not that he should be 'catered' to--but developing young players like this is a process. A non-elite 23 year old old is going to go through some bad stretches.

Play him as the 3rd line C tonight at even strength. I'd like these lines:

Hagelin-Stepan-Gaborik
Fedotenko-Richards-Callahan
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Mitchell
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:23 PM
kovazub94

Same people who were tripping all over themselves proclaiming the arrival of Anisimov barely 1.5 months ago now call him lazy, not fitting and suggesting to trade him for other teams scrubs.

He's in an offensive slump, period. You can see that he's overthinking instead of reacting and making plays on instinct (unfortunately on defense as well).... And oh yeah, he's going to eventually recover from the slump and it's going to be all good again.

BTW, remember the early expectations followed by some disappointment when Dubi and Cally were in their 3rd NHL seasons?

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote