HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton se16

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2012, 12:15 PM
  #26
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymac18 View Post
I really am perplexed why Easton messed with such an awesome stick design...the "balance" was perfect before!
I think they made a mistake and seemed to have recognized it. EQ50's and the lower models have been marked down for a while and it seems they hurried to get a new stick out to replace it.

Quote:
I've also tried out the Warrior Dolomite and find it's pretty similar to the SE16. It's still a bit different...I think it has to do with the shaft feel (the Warrior feels more rounded, perhaps?). Is there a warrior stick that is a closer approximation to the SE16? How do the Dynasty and Dolomite differ? Is there another stick (from any brand) that would be better/more similar to the SE16?
The Dolomite was similar to the SE16 as it was a traditional fused stick with a somewhat low kickpoint. You are correct, the Easton had a boxier shaft than the Dolomite which was rounded.

The Dynasty one piece stick is a different "fused" stick than the Dolomite. The Dolomite was literally a tapered blade glued together with a shaft and painted to look like a one piece stick.

The Dynasty's blade is made with the bottom of the shaft and fused together with the rest of the shaft. This saves a bit of weight near the blade.

I've been using a Dynasty off and on the past couple months and it's a good stick. Mine has a rattle for some reason. It shoots nicely, has good puck feel, nothing super special but so far it's done the job.

You may have good luck putting a small wood end plug (or at least the tenon and cut it flush) at the butt end of the stick to balance out the weight of the blade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
I used to be a bring proponent of the T90 until I picked up an X60, or a Total One. Now the T90 feels like a tank with almost no feel. I still think it is alright for the price point, but I won't be getting another one.
We're spoiled Really though it feels like it's an okay $100 stick in terms of weight, but even then I prefer the balance of the Reebok Ai5 or the Bauer One80 in that price range.

Also, the intermediate T90 definitely has a sticker wrapping the blade to make it look like graphite while the senior does not. No idea what's going on but I don't trust that stick at all.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:18 PM
  #27
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
We're spoiled Really though it feels like it's an okay $100 stick in terms of weight, but even then I prefer the balance of the Reebok Ai5 or the Bauer One80 in that price range.

Also, the intermediate T90 definitely has a sticker wrapping the blade to make it look like graphite while the senior does not. No idea what's going on but I don't trust that stick at all.
Haha, yeah I know. The second I got my X60 in the mail and shot with it a few times I thought, "oh **** there's no going back now."

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:51 PM
  #28
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,623
vCash: 500
I've used an SE16, and played around with an EQ50, and personally find them to be very similar sticks. Just gotta make sure you have the right number of weights in the end cap, with too many weights in there it feels strangely balanced/weird, but once you get the right number of weights in the cap it should feel/play very similar to the SE16. I personally don't think the EQ50 is a bad stick, it just looks really gimmicky, so people don't like it. The construction is very similar to the SE16.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:20 PM
  #29
Hockeymac18
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I've used an SE16, and played around with an EQ50, and personally find them to be very similar sticks. Just gotta make sure you have the right number of weights in the end cap, with too many weights in there it feels strangely balanced/weird, but once you get the right number of weights in the cap it should feel/play very similar to the SE16. I personally don't think the EQ50 is a bad stick, it just looks really gimmicky, so people don't like it. The construction is very similar to the SE16.
The problem I had with it isn't so much to do with the gimmicky-ness (which was stupid on their part, but I could get over that); but rather the overall weight increase of the stick. With all the weights in, the EQ50, I believe, is somewhere around 30 grams heavier than the SE16 (~460 vs 490). You can take all of the 5 gram weights out from the end cap, but then the stick feels way too blade heavy. Overall, I have found this significantly affects my stick-handling speed...We're talking small nuances...but I've found they're the difference between making that really quick move, or trying to make that quick move and having the puck just jump ahead a bit due to a slightly delayed movement.

Plus, the whole idea of this weight thing seems stupid to me...just balance it out for the user. The last thing I want to do is mess around with the end plug (tape up the stick...try out one iteration...remove tape...take out a weight...re-tape, and so on)...the great thing about the SE16's (and the Synergys before them) was they came ready to use. No tweaking needed.

I think for some people this just doesn't make as big of a difference for them. I'm very sensitive to small changes like this. I immediately knew when I got my first EQ50 (After I broke one of my last SE16's) that there was a difference. Then I started reading about it more and realized the changes they made with the weights. I tried every weight combination the stick had, but it always felt heavy/off/different. Call me picky, but I have given the EQ50 its fair chance to shine...I've compared multiple EQ50's (3, to be exact) to SE16's (sometimes in the same game/practice), and there is definitely a difference. Yes, they're "similar," but they're different enough to mess me up.

Perhaps the Mako stick will be better? Or perhaps I'll just have to live with a Warrior (which I'm really starting to like as a sufficient replacement to the SE16). Either way, I'm still left scratching my head about Easton's changes. Why change something that works so well? I guess there is a lot of pressure in the industry to always come out with the "next best thing"...but really, they had a pretty perfect thing going with the Synergy line of sticks. Perhaps the fact that many NHL players are still ordering SE16's and painting them as EQ50's is telling enough...


Last edited by Hockeymac18: 02-01-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Hockeymac18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:23 PM
  #30
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Haha, yeah I know. The second I got my X60 in the mail and shot with it a few times I thought, "oh **** there's no going back now."
I just picked up one of these for the first time in my LHS this past weekend and it felt better in my hands than any stick I've ever held. Luckily they didn't have the flex I need in the blade pattern I like, or I would have another ridiculously priced stick in my garage. I have to try one of these out soon.

The only thing that bothered me was that it is a good inch shorter than my S19 and I didn't like it the last time I tried to play with a shorter stick. I've also tried plugs and they just kill the feel of the stick.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:25 PM
  #31
Hockeymac18
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I think they made a mistake and seemed to have recognized it. EQ50's and the lower models have been marked down for a while and it seems they hurried to get a new stick out to replace it.



The Dolomite was similar to the SE16 as it was a traditional fused stick with a somewhat low kickpoint. You are correct, the Easton had a boxier shaft than the Dolomite which was rounded.

The Dynasty one piece stick is a different "fused" stick than the Dolomite. The Dolomite was literally a tapered blade glued together with a shaft and painted to look like a one piece stick.

The Dynasty's blade is made with the bottom of the shaft and fused together with the rest of the shaft. This saves a bit of weight near the blade.

I've been using a Dynasty off and on the past couple months and it's a good stick. Mine has a rattle for some reason. It shoots nicely, has good puck feel, nothing super special but so far it's done the job.

You may have good luck putting a small wood end plug (or at least the tenon and cut it flush) at the butt end of the stick to balance out the weight of the blade.
Thanks a bunch for the great info! I'm currently using the Dolomite, and will probably stick with it. There is a slight difference in feel of the shaft, but the way the puck feels on the stick is similar enough to the SE16 that I'm liking it. I'll have to look into a Dynasty later, I suppose, since I'm seeing the Dolomite's are being phased out.

Do you know much about the Easton Mako stick? What's going to be different exactly (minus the sales B.S. talk...just straight spec differences). Are they basically going back to the SE16 design without the silly weight scheme? Or are they taking the stick line in an entirely new direction?

Hockeymac18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:26 PM
  #32
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I've used an SE16, and played around with an EQ50, and personally find them to be very similar sticks. Just gotta make sure you have the right number of weights in the end cap, with too many weights in there it feels strangely balanced/weird, but once you get the right number of weights in the cap it should feel/play very similar to the SE16. I personally don't think the EQ50 is a bad stick, it just looks really gimmicky, so people don't like it. The construction is very similar to the SE16.
I have both sticks in my too large arsenal of sticks and I agree with the earlier poster that they feel very different to me. I do think the EQ50 is a good stick, particularly for a better player, as it has a great release. But the weighting feels different to me and when I switch them back to back, I have much better feel for the puck with the SE16. That said, I like a blade light stick, so it may just be my preference.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
  #33
Hockeymac18
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Hockeymac, first of all, thanks for using an old thread, it gets less cluttered this way!

Second of all, we do ship, but I'm not sure to California. Check out our main site to be sure though : http://www.sportchek.ca/home/index.jsp

Thirdly, good news! There's a new Easton stick (series) called the Mako coming out in late spring that's replacing the EQ line. I've heard from several professional sources that the feel of the Mako is comparable to a lighter version of the SE16. If you can wait, please do. If you can't, there's always pro stock, but just make sure it's an SE16, painted or otherwise.
Thanks for the great info! I looked at your site, but unfortunately there are no more SE16's 1-piece or 2-piece shaft/blades left. I also looked at some pro stock sites on the internet (HockeyMonkey and pro stock hockey gear), but didn't find any SE16's or any SE16's painted as EQ50's in the blade/flex combos I was looking for (sakic/hull 85 flex, always seems ridiculously hard to find, I presume because it's popular?).

Anyway, I'm going to probably just stick with the Warrior I've been using. It isn't 100% perfect, but it's pretty close (and way better than the EQ50 for me). I previously tired the Easton Stealth line, and never quite liked the feel of those sticks (something to do with kickpoint, I think), so I don't think I'd like the RS sticks (and they're quite expensive to just "try out").

I asked Jarick this, too...but, do you know much about the Mako? Is it going to be more akin to the SE16? Or are they going a completely different route?

Hockeymac18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:33 PM
  #34
Hockeymac18
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3cc0s View Post
The synergy has been very good for a long time.. Since the first orange ones

IMO the synergy elite was as good as they've ever been....
They've really only changed the blades to accommodate slight variances of the same thing...
That being said, st all the way
I agree, the orange ones were probably my favorite sticks! I had one that (somehow) lasted me over a year of hockey (playing 4-5 times a week) back in 2007!

Hockeymac18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:38 PM
  #35
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeymac18 View Post
Thanks for the great info! I looked at your site, but unfortunately there are no more SE16's 1-piece or 2-piece shaft/blades left. I also looked at some pro stock sites on the internet (HockeyMonkey and pro stock hockey gear), but didn't find any SE16's or any SE16's painted as EQ50's in the blade/flex combos I was looking for (sakic/hull 85 flex, always seems ridiculously hard to find, I presume because it's popular?).

Anyway, I'm going to probably just stick with the Warrior I've been using. It isn't 100% perfect, but it's pretty close (and way better than the EQ50 for me). I previously tired the Easton Stealth line, and never quite liked the feel of those sticks (something to do with kickpoint, I think), so I don't think I'd like the RS sticks (and they're quite expensive to just "try out").

I asked Jarick this, too...but, do you know much about the Mako? Is it going to be more akin to the SE16? Or are they going a completely different route?
I'm surprised you couldn't find any prostock, but it's definitely going to be out there, just have to keep looking. Try TSR or PSHG.

More info about the Mako and people who have used it :
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...key-catalogue/

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:35 PM
  #36
michaelshu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Indonesia
Posts: 251
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to michaelshu Send a message via Skype™ to michaelshu
I'm usually on ebay all the time looking for sellers with cheap shipping to my country..
well, i found these:

http://*******/zEoGuR - only Drury curves
http://*******/ybntJp - Drury curves, 100 flex
http://*******/Ad1b0d - Pro Return

Or you can just check the search result by yourself: http://*******/AwutC7

Good luck man

Edit: the censored part is bit[dot]ly

michaelshu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:42 PM
  #37
Hockeymac18
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
I'm surprised you couldn't find any prostock, but it's definitely going to be out there, just have to keep looking. Try TSR or PSHG.

More info about the Mako and people who have used it :
http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...key-catalogue/
Thanks again for the great info. I did find that forum thread last night, but didn't find much specific information like exact weight (in grams)/how it relates to the SE16 vs. the EQ50 (which is what I really want to know). I imagine these types of details won't really come out until people really start using them (this spring).

Also, I should add I did find some SE16's (albeit, not many), but none were in the flex/curve I'm looking for. I've always had a really hard time of finding 85 flex sakic sticks (I'm guessing because they either didn't make enough, or they're one of the more popular flex/curve combinations)...but I will keep scouring the pro stock sites and Ebay.

Thanks again for your great feedback, guys. I'm really glad I stumbled onto this thread. Am really interested to see what direction Easton takes the Mako line...

Hockeymac18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:44 PM
  #38
Hockeymac18
Rookie User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelshu View Post
I'm usually on ebay all the time looking for sellers with cheap shipping to my country..
well, i found these:

http://*******/zEoGuR - only Drury curves
http://*******/ybntJp - Drury curves, 100 flex
http://*******/Ad1b0d - Pro Return

Or you can just check the search result by yourself: http://*******/AwutC7

Good luck man

Edit: the censored part is bit[dot]ly
Great finds. I did see a couple of those (the Drury ones), but didn't see the "Pro Return" stuff. What does that mean? A lot the stuff is unlabeled, I've noticed?

Are they unlabeled Easton-made stuff?
Or are they more similar to something like a "generic" drug vs. Tylenol type thing?

Hockeymac18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:44 AM
  #39
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I just picked up one of these for the first time in my LHS this past weekend and it felt better in my hands than any stick I've ever held. Luckily they didn't have the flex I need in the blade pattern I like, or I would have another ridiculously priced stick in my garage. I have to try one of these out soon.

The only thing that bothered me was that it is a good inch shorter than my S19 and I didn't like it the last time I tried to play with a shorter stick. I've also tried plugs and they just kill the feel of the stick.
Well you don't have much time left to try out an x60, but the replacements seem pretty similar (APX & 7.0). As far as being too short I can't really speak to that since I am 5'9 and I'm always cutting sticks down.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
  #40
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownHawks View Post
Well you don't have much time left to try out an x60, but the replacements seem pretty similar (APX & 7.0). As far as being too short I can't really speak to that since I am 5'9 and I'm always cutting sticks down.
Well I may be finding out soon enough. Had a late game last night and a lot on my mind and left both of my game sticks at the rink...

EDIT: Well my sticks were not turned in to the rink, so I had to buy a new one. Always wanted to try a lighter flex to see how I liked it, given how skinny I am, and whaddya know, the rink had a leftover SE16 in an Iginla curve/75 flex on closeout for $100. If it turns out to be too much flex for me, I'll save it for my son to use in a couple of years. Also picked up a 7.0 in a Stamkos curve and an 87 flex, but I'm gonna test out the SE16 first to see if I like more flex. If I do, I'll probably exchange the 7.0 for a 77 flex.


Last edited by Stickmata: 02-02-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:20 AM
  #41
Flonominal
Registered User
 
Flonominal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 426
vCash: 500
What do you guys suppose about the ccm u+cl? found a couple on psgh but havent heard much about them. Im leaning towards a bauer x60 pros cons? as i just broke my se16 (sorry for hijacking didnt want to make another stick thread if thats okay)

love wristers and snappers nd "dangles"

Flonominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:21 AM
  #42
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,647
vCash: 500
Those Vapors feel a little stiff so you might like 77 flex anyway.

Tavares, I'm an X:60 guy and my game is all wristers, snappers, and dangles (read: I can't skate or pass worth a damn). It's super light and balanced which IMO gives you just a hair quicker release, and the material they use stores and unloads energy really quickly. Mine's been insanely durable but, again because I'm a wrist/snap guy, I've only broken maybe 1-2 sticks in the last six years. I've never used a new SE16 but I do have the shaft of an SE16 I used with a tapered blade and the X:60 feels stiffer but has a quicker release.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
  #43
Flonominal
Registered User
 
Flonominal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 426
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Those Vapors feel a little stiff so you might like 77 flex anyway.

Tavares, I'm an X:60 guy and my game is all wristers, snappers, and dangles (read: I can't skate or pass worth a damn). It's super light and balanced which IMO gives you just a hair quicker release, and the material they use stores and unloads energy really quickly. Mine's been insanely durable but, again because I'm a wrist/snap guy, I've only broken maybe 1-2 sticks in the last six years. I've never used a new SE16 but I do have the shaft of an SE16 I used with a tapered blade and the X:60 feels stiffer but has a quicker release.
Alright Thank you

Flonominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:03 PM
  #44
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor
 
ChiTownHawks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Orland Park, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavares Dangles View Post
Alright Thank you
I'd second the 77 flex as well. More than likely you'll be cutting into the 80s anyways.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:34 PM
  #45
Stickmata
Registered User
 
Stickmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,489
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Those Vapors feel a little stiff so you might like 77 flex anyway.
Tried them both out today and I loved the 7.0, didn't care for the flexy SE16. Wow, the feel with the 7.0 is so much better than my S19. I can stickhandle much, much better and keep the puck on my stick much better. Love the rounded edges and generally thinner shaft, and I really like the flatter lie as compared to the Iginla Eastons.

It will take a little adjustment to get consistent with my shots, as it has a very different feel from my S19, but my good wrist shots were better. Probably take me a few weeks to really get comfortable with it, particularly on slappers. Those were less consistent.

After using the 7.0, I switched back to the SE16 and it felt like I had a 2x4 in my hands.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.