HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Report: Hamilton moving to Laval

Old
01-27-2012, 09:12 AM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
It is truly hard to believe that the commissioner of the AHL still doesn't understand the difference between an affiliation and franchise.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:19 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
You once again, after years of having the difference explained to you, are confusing the FRANCHISE with the AFFILIATION. In the Oilers situation, the Oilers owned not only the AFFILIATION (the rights to the players) but also the FRANCHISE (the business entity that is "the team"). In this case, Andlauer (and his partners) own the FRANCHISE - they purchased (not leased) the Citadelles franchise. A franchise being leased is VERY rare.

If you have any supporting evidence and links to your claim that the Canadiens OWN the franchise, I would be very interested in you posting it. Otherwise, you've just once again confused people who are interested in the actual situation on the ground.
Hutch, a link? Those two things do NOT belong in the same sentence....

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:21 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
It is truly hard to believe that the commissioner of the AHL still doesn't understand the difference between an affiliation and franchise.
The commissioner doesn't seem to understand a lot of things. Hence the leagues downfall the last decade-12 years....

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 01:57 PM
hb11xchamps

This could open the possibility of Phoenix moving there. I know that the NHL is pushing hard on the Coyotes staying but lets be honest eventually they will move. It just isn't a good NHL market. I dont know if they will move to Hamilton though with the rumors floating around of Seattle wanting an NHL team

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 04:08 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
This could open the possibility of Phoenix moving there. I know that the NHL is pushing hard on the Coyotes staying but lets be honest eventually they will move. It just isn't a good NHL market. I dont know if they will move to Hamilton though with the rumors floating around of Seattle wanting an NHL team
The issue Hamilton has is the new possible arena in Markham.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
You once again, after years of having the difference explained to you, are confusing the FRANCHISE with the AFFILIATION. In the Oilers situation, the Oilers owned not only the AFFILIATION (the rights to the players) but also the FRANCHISE (the business entity that is "the team"). In this case, Andlauer (and his partners) own the FRANCHISE - they purchased (not leased) the Citadelles franchise. A franchise being leased is VERY rare.

If you have any supporting evidence and links to your claim that the Canadiens OWN the franchise, I would be very interested in you posting it. Otherwise, you've just once again confused people who are interested in the actual situation on the ground.
What did he say??

OWNS, OWNS.......

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 09:12 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Question that needs to be answered here.

Can Michael Andlauer be a part owner of the Montreal Canadians and own an AHL club affliated with another NHL team?
So...... none, of our AHL experts, have an answer?

Stanley Foobrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:12 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
So...... none, of our AHL experts, have an answer?
technically, Andlauer is an employee of the Canadiens by virtue of his ownership stake.... he'd have to sell one or the other, but if there's no franchise to operate in Hamilton, it's a moot point....

Ironic that Quebec City wouldn't or didn't support the franchise in QC, why Laval, and now you know why the Canadiens got out of Quebec.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
technically, Andlauer is an employee of the Canadiens by virtue of his ownership stake.... he'd have to sell one or the other, but if there's no franchise to operate in Hamilton, it's a moot point....

Ironic that Quebec City wouldn't or didn't support the franchise in QC, why Laval, and now you know why the Canadiens got out of Quebec.
That's what I assumed too. That's what makes it very interesting when he said there will be an AHL team in Hamilton, whether or not it has the CH on the shoulder might be in question in a few years.

I highly doubt he'll sell his Montreal stake, so perhaps he has a purchaser in mind for his AHL team?

I know I'm a little confused.

As for the Quebec situation. I believe Quebec City is more of a rival to Montreal, where Laval is a sister city. I certainly can see how you could expect Laval to have better attendance than QC.

Last edited by Stanley Foobrick: 01-28-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old
01-28-2012, 11:27 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
That's what I assumed too. That's what makes it very interesting when he said there will be an AHL team in Hamilton, whether or not it has the CH on the shoulder might be in question in a few years.

I highly doubt he'll sell his Montreal stake, so perhaps he has a purchaser in mind for his AHL team?

As for the Quebec situation. I believe Quebec City is more of a rival to Montreal, where Laval is a sister city. I certainly can see how you could expect Laval to have better attendance than QC.
the point I'm getting at is this: QC didn't support the AHL and what became the Bulldogs franchise once Edmonton left..... nothing has changed since '02 in QC whether or not QC gets an NHL franchise when/if Phoenix/Glendale gets settled once and for all, and according to the Quebec thread here, the Remparts aren't going anywhere either, so how would that work even with a Laval affiliation... Andlauer or somebody would have to run the successor franchise even if it had the Canadien affiliation.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Evil Doctor
89 years later...

Quote:

No, he doesn't need to sell. He can own both, there are no rules in the AHL prohibiting it. 'Hutch is just on some wicked cold medicine....

'I'm still the owner of the Bulldogs today and we're going to stay here,' says Andlauer

Quote:
He admits owning a team of players that are the property of another NHL outfit would be a little awkward since he’s part owner of the Canadiens, but it wouldn’t be impossible or against any league rules.

“If we don’t have a CH on our shoulder in two years or three years, so be it,” he says. “The one thing that is for sure is that the Bulldogs logo is going to stay here in Hamilton on the front of the jersey.”

That said, he hopes to continue the relationship. However, discussions about extending the affiliation have not yet begun, he insists. When they do, he says he’ll recuse himself from the Habs’ boardroom for those talks.
That is pretty definite..

Evil Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:37 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
LOL. I almost fell out of my chair!

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 12:38 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post
No, he doesn't need to sell. He can own both, there are no rules in the AHL prohibiting it. 'Hutch is just on some wicked cold medicine....

'I'm still the owner of the Bulldogs today and we're going to stay here,' says Andlauer

Who are you going to believe? Your own eyes or me? Groucho Marx

Old
01-28-2012, 01:13 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Doctor View Post

Thanks for the link, I saw his comments on the local TV news and they didn't explain it as well as the article you linked, appreciate it.

Seems strange you could be part owner of a NHL club and an unaffiliated AHL club, but if it's not against the rules..... well then so be it.

I got to know Michael Andlauer over several season when his booth was just behind our seats. If I had to describe Mr. Andlauer in 2 words, they would be honesty and integrity. If he says the Bulldogs are not moving, I believe him.....

Old
01-31-2012, 01:33 AM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Thanks for the link, I saw his comments on the local TV news and they didn't explain it as well as the article you linked, appreciate it.

Seems strange you could be part owner of a NHL club and an unaffiliated AHL club, but if it's not against the rules..... well then so be it.

I got to know Michael Andlauer over several season when his booth was just behind our seats. If I had to describe Mr. Andlauer in 2 words, they would be honesty and integrity. If he says the Bulldogs are not moving, I believe him.....
I am not sure why you think it would be strange that he could be a part owner of an NHL team and fully own an AHL team. He probably has zero input into the operations of the Canadiens. Also, how would it be detrimental to either team? The AHL teams have little influence on their rosters so what we he do as owner of an AHL team that would benefit the Canadiens if, lets say, the Bulldogs were affiliated with the Leafs?

Its not like owning 2 NHL teams like Wirtz did way back when he treated the Blackhawks like the feeding ground for his beloved Red Wings.

Old
01-31-2012, 12:29 PM
RFA

Do the Brooks Brothers own part of the Penguins?

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 01:59 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFA View Post
Not that I am aware of. I will check and get back to you.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Solution

Quote:
The best that I can find is that their ownership group has a voting interest in the team. However, that article is a few years old. They do not appear in any recen thing. The article also stated that the interest is from their dad investing in the Penguins initially when Lemeiux bought the team. I think that Burkle has since bough out substantial members, but I have no proof of that only my own faulty memory.

Old
01-31-2012, 05:42 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post
The best that I can find is that their ownership group has a voting interest in the team. However, that article is a few years old. They do not appear in any recen thing. The article also stated that the interest is from their dad investing in the Penguins initially when Lemeiux bought the team. I think that Burkle has since bough out substantial members, but I have no proof of that only my own faulty memory.
RFA:

you should know better than ask whether the Brooks Brothers have interests in WB/Scranton, under bylaws, just like Roy Boe's departure from Worcester/Springfield to run Bridgeport, Boe had to relinquish the rights in Worcester..... same here, these brothers had to divest themselves or be bought out for them to buy the Phantoms from Comcast, otherwise Adirondack would still be on the sale list....

Old
01-31-2012, 07:28 PM
RFA

Adirondack has never been for sale.

I thought that I'd read that thet were involved with Pittsburgh, maybe the Pirates too?? Again, not sure where or when that was.

RFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Adirondack has never been for sale.

I thought that I'd read that thet were involved with Pittsburgh, maybe the Pirates too?? Again, not sure where or when that was.
They own the Wheeling Nailers, which is the ECHL affiliate of the Pens (and they're looking to sell that franchise too).

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Solution

Rfa:

Old
02-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
RFA:

you should know better than ask whether the Brooks Brothers have interests in WB/Scranton, under bylaws, just like Roy Boe's departure from Worcester/Springfield to run Bridgeport, Boe had to relinquish the rights in Worcester..... same here, these brothers had to divest themselves or be bought out for them to buy the Phantoms from Comcast, otherwise Adirondack would still be on the sale list....
So, it may be against by-laws to own two AHL clubs but I am not sure why it would be weird to have a minority ownership in an NHL club and a majority ownership in an AHL club not affiliated with that NHL club.

Old
02-01-2012, 06:41 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
So, it may be against by-laws to own two AHL clubs but I am not sure why it would be weird to have a minority ownership in an NHL club and a majority ownership in an AHL club not affiliated with that NHL club.
It is against AHL by-laws to own two AHL clubs. That is why Orlando (the 2001 Turner Cups champs) couldn't join the AHL with the I-6 teams. They were owned by the same people as Grand Rapids.

Old
02-01-2012, 10:10 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
It is against AHL by-laws to own two AHL clubs. That is why Orlando (the 2001 Turner Cups champs) couldn't join the AHL with the I-6 teams. They were owned by the same people as Grand Rapids.
Interesting. I never knew that about Orlando.