HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If you made it to the NHL..

View Poll Results: Would you want to play in Mtl?
Yes 90 77.59%
No 26 22.41%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-01-2012, 05:38 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Awards:
Absolutely. I'd even take a discount just to stick around. Nothing would make me more proud then to put on the Bleu-Blanc-Rouge and play in front of the crowd I use to stand next to and cheer along with. I have always chosen pride over money and glory.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Dharvey33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
naaaaaa

I live in Edmonton, I can understand why players don't want to come here, or Winnipeg, or Montreal.

Probably the least desirable places to play in the NHL:

1. Columbus - Crap team
2. NYI - Crap team, terrible management
3. Winnipeg - that may change if the team continues to get better
4. Edmonton - Small city, weather sucks
5. Montreal - Taxes, spotlight

#1 would have to be something like NYR, Van, SJ, TBL, Det, Bos, Phi due to location, and franchise success.
Hell no Detroit is a **** hole with all due respect you'd have to put a gun to my head for me to move there.

Any quebecers should at least try to play for the habs IMO people always loves hometown people more than foreigners and that's the case in any team. Look at Nashville Geoffrion is a fan favorite just because he is the first nhl player from Tennessee to play there.

Dharvey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Stasis
Mad Decent

I love Montreal and all... I choose to live here, I learned the language fully, I have a Quebecoise gf, mostly francophone friends. I'm all in.

But I'd never play here, no.

My criteria in no particular order would be: Quality of life (including weather in here, among others), shot at going for a cup (based on the assumption I'd be spending my career with the same team, or trying to), finances, and fan/media interaction.

The weather here is awesome in the Summer, but just really kind of annoying in the Winter. Then again, most cities that have good, loud, fanbases are in similar climes. Quality of life is good, fun city, great people, gorgeous women, good food, etc. etc.

Shot at a cup? Not this season obviously, but it would depend on that particular season along with the overall staff, and plan.

Finances. Eh. Taxes. Annoying. Definitely not the biggest criteria, and not a deal-breaker on it's own but definitely a consideration unless I'm a real star player.

Fan/media attention. Such a double-edged sword. Awesome when you're ballin', and awful when you're human. Personally, no. I'd want nothing to do with it unless I was 100% sure I would be awesome all the time. PPG physical player who never slumps for more than 2-3 games? Sure. Montreal's cool then. Anything else? I'd prefer to play elsewhere. NYC. Boston. Philly. Or somewhere warm with decent fans... not sure, but I'd say SJ or LA the most.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:50 PM
neofury*

I would for sure want to play here and would be hoping the Habs would draft me.

If I was drafted by a team like Columbus or Phoenix I would play out my ELC until I was UFA and leave immediately. If I was drafted by a team like LA, Tampa, Anaheim, Vancouver, etc, I'd likely strongly consider staying. I like warm weather and beaches.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:52 PM
neofury*

If the Leafs or Bruins drafted me I would ask for a trade immediately

But in all seriousness I'd probably have to play out my ELC and just sign with a different team. Imagine how much that must suck? Kadri grew up a Habs fan

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:57 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
Hell no Detroit is a **** hole with all due respect you'd have to put a gun to my head for me to move there.

Any quebecers should at least try to play for the habs IMO people always loves hometown people more than foreigners and that's the case in any team. Look at Nashville Geoffrion is a fan favorite just because he is the first nhl player from Tennessee to play there.
You know there are actually nice places around Detroit. Nobody forces you to stay downtown

Their team is a perennial contender. When you get an offer from the Red Wings, you definitely consider it.

Thats the problem with Montreal at the moment. Sure its cold and the taxes are high but it wouldn't be an issue if we had a good and stable team. Nobody knows if the Habs are going to be a lottery team in two years or a contender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury
If the Leafs or Bruins drafted me I would ask for a trade immediately

But in all seriousness I'd probably have to play out my ELC and just sign with a different team. Imagine how much that must suck? Kadri grew up a Habs fan
I think you come to forget these things as a pro. Even if the Bruins pick you you must have some pride putting on their jersey being drafted by an NHL team. I do agree being picked by the Leafs must be awful tho

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Xia

I would play for Toronto, and by using hypnosis I would manipulate Brian Burke to trade me to Montreal for Scotty G. Now, that's some dedication...

Xia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:03 PM
coolasprICE

OT, but I wouldn't want to play in the NHL.. Not with the risk of injuring my BRAIN

I'd give up a career of millions and success just to avoid even 1 concussion.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
OT, but I wouldn't want to play in the NHL.. Not with the risk of injuring my BRAIN

I'd give up a career of millions and success just to avoid even 1 concussion.
You must live in a bubble then. You must not have a vehicle either. Or walk down the streets....

Yup off-topic. I would wanna play because I'm such a huge fan, but in reality it's not a good environment. Maybe if the team were a Cup contender, the answer would be different. Both Montreal and Toronto are terrible markets to play for.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:15 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
You must live in a bubble then. You must not have a vehicle either. Or walk down the streets....
I actually I do all that and more, but I have yet to suffer a concussion...

Are you telling me that my risk for suffering a brain injury in my every day life is the same if I were in the NHL ?

Old
02-01-2012, 07:23 PM
BlackStar

I love the Habs, I love Montreal. Why would I want to play anywhere else? In fact, I'd take a big paycut if it meant having a career-long contract with a no trade clause in order to stay with my favourite team.

I've always been amazed by NHL'ers who play against their childhood teams seemingly without any problems. Heck, I'd want to find a way to avoid the Draft and sign as a free agent with my childhood team.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dharvey33 View Post
If you play soccer you want to play for big and prestigious clubs like Manchester united Fc Barcelona or Milan AC.

So why wouldn't want to play for the most prestigious hockey club that is the montreal canadiens.

I mean you grew up watching them sheering for them the likes of Guy lafleur Patrick Roy were our idols so why you wouldn't want to play for them baffles me.

I'd surely want to play for habs at some time in my career and not the end the prime years.

I'd pull a vinny stunt when he went to play for the oceanic in the LHJMQ and stay in my car while the habs draft me haha.
Agreed on the prestigious club problem is those soccer teams compete every year, the Habs are not the Habs of the 70's. Things have changed and if we don't get back to our winning ways nothing will change

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:55 PM
LyricalLyricist

I guess it matters where the habs are going. In a rebuild, eh, as a playoff team, even a 7th-8th seed, yes.

I would never play for the bruins. I guess if I got drafted by them or something, but given the opportunity to play elsewhere, I choose elsewhere. If I have no choice, fine.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:01 PM
CrazyShea

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
I actually I do all that and more, but I have yet to suffer a concussion...

Are you telling me that my risk for suffering a brain injury in my every day life is the same if I were in the NHL ?
Thousands die per year while driving in Canada. It is easily the most dangerous thing you do every day.

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Garo

I'd be a goalie, so hell no.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:13 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
I'd be a goalie, so hell no.
I'm a 6'4 center. Great success!

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:39 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

honestly... ... no.

if i was FA, montreal would NOT be on my go to list. i could list the reasons why i wouldn't but we all know them...

and although i once lived in a place where i was able to wear flip-flops 9 months of the year, weather is not one of them.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:44 PM
bipolarhabfan

My preferred destinations, because of the women who live there, would be the following; taxes be damned .

1. Montreal
2. Vancouver
3. LA
4. Miami
5. Nashville
6. Dallas

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:54 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyShea View Post
Thousands die per year while driving in Canada. It is easily the most dangerous thing you do every day.
chance of suffering a BRAIN injury in the NHL in 1 season is a lot higher than getting into a major car accident in a given year.

|What is it, 10% of the league has suffered a concussion so far?

Think about the impact of all these concussions years after retirement.

BRAIN injury. Injury to the BRAIN. Let that sink......

Sorry, the health of my BRAIN is more valuable than money, fame and playing a sport I love... any day.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Shad

For sure, I would love to live in Montreal, such a great city. Vancouver wouldn't be bad either.

Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:58 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Whoever paid me the most.

Money would not be that high up the list of considerations for me unless I was a bubble NHLer.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather be paid 1M in a place I like living in then 2M in a place I hate living in.

But I'd rather be paid 50K in a place I hate, then 25K in a place I love.

Thing is, once you make enough to be comfortable, you can start thinking about other considerations. That's just me though.

As for the question of this thread, I don't think I'd want to play for Montreal. Not because of the medias/fans necessarily, but LA/Florida would just be nicer places to live in. Also, I'm not big on being "The guy", I'd be just fine with anonymity.

Contrarily to what some presumed earlier in this thread, that has nothing to do with how much of a fan someone is... or isn't.

Des Louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:01 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Probably. I have a French name, I'm from there and I speak French. I'd be loved. Look at Darche!

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:04 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Contrarily to what some presumed earlier in this thread, that has nothing to do with how much of a fan someone is... or isn't.
exactly

it has more to do with the kind of person you are rather than the type of fan you are. unless you think they are somehow related...

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:04 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post

As far as I'm concerned, I'd rather be paid 1M in a place I like living in then 2M in a place I hate living in.
I don't disagree with the point, but there is a huge difference between 1 and 2 million.
I'd rather make 5 in a place I liked than 6 in a place I didn't... sure.

Also to take into consideration is contract length -- i'd take a bigger discount if I had the security of a multi-year contract.

If it's single year deal with no long term security -- $$$ talks.

Old
02-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Bieber fever

I would go where I can get the maximum money even if it in the KHL.

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote