HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Habs - Florida

Old
02-01-2012, 03:32 PM
ursavolta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
Yes.

Ok, Gomez was a playoff performer, a long time ago.

The guy is done. I mean hell, he has gome 50+ games without scoring a goal.
Tallon signed all these guys so the prospects wouldn't just get a spot on the main club without earning it.

Before Jovo and Kulikov went down, Gudbranson and Ellerby were splitting games on who would start.
IMO, Tallon doesn't want to simply open a spot for Howden, Bjugstad etc without them proving their worth. When that happens, then he'll dump off a guy like Upshall or Santorelli.

Same as the Booth contract? Nope. We got back two expiring contracts in Sturm and Samuelsson, that have contributed positively, for a guy that was struggling-had injury issues-one trick pony and a lot of years left on his deal.
You want to bring in a guy who has struggled since signing with the Rangers(or the year after) and hope for a change in his game? Yea, I'll pass.

Besides, Matthias has grown nicely this year. Not a legit #2, but, I rather see Matthias and Goc get more minutes than Scott Gomez on our team, who is only good at puck possession
I can see your point.. figured 1 mil wouldn't be bad for the team..give some new life to some players..

thanks for your input

ursavolta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:33 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
To answer the question, I do believe Santorelli is better than Gomez. Santorelli is actually playing a lot better recently and the only reason he's not scoring more is because he's on the 4th line.

I'd say Santorelli is a sniper, if I had to classify him as something.

What is Gomez? You still think he's a top playmaker or something? The playoff experience is rather irrelevant to me. He's simply not the player he once was. To be honest, if you said this last offseason, I wouldn't have called it bad. At least he put up 38 points last year and could still be seen as a reclamation project for a team in need of reaching the cap floor. Now? Gomez is worth nothing now. Gomez, if anything, is worth negative value if that exist anywhere.

As bad as Upshall's contract is, Gomez contract is basically twice as bad. Why would we take that on?

You say "well, if Gomez sucks, who cares? Just stick him in the AHL and eat the remaining money..." I think that's a terrible reason to make a trade. Even if that's your mindset, couldn't we just do the same with Upshall if he hits rock bottom? I don't see how we win this deal at all, at this point.
He's basically Olesz now.

Useless, except for one or "qualities".

His shot is weak now, and we'll have to carry his contract around for 2 more years? I rather stick with Upshall.

Good luck throwing anyone with a salary like that in the minors. I doubt our owners would want to pay Gomez 5.4/4.5m salary for the next two years to play for San Antonio,

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
sal00

Based on what Tallon has done this year, it makes no sense to take on Gomez. He gave up long term, high risk contract (Booth) to get pending UFAs. I don't think he is looking to take salary dump unless there's something great attached to it.

Heck it would make more sense for Flroida to spend those dollars on UFAs that cost less and contribute more than Gomez. Right now Gomez is just dead weight for what he delivers. (no locker room presence, no leadership upside, no production for 7+ mil)

sal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Well, to be honest none of the "negative value" returns (and yes, bad contracts on Upshall and Santorelli count to me as "negative value") would appeal to me. Gomez's buyout cap hit isn't really much/any more painful than this. I'd rather have just the buyout cap hit and no spare bodies back.

And Gomez isn't exactly "finished". He's finished as a 50+ point player, perhaps. But he's a decent $1-2M scrap heap player who could chip in 30-40 points if called on by a team with enough desperation to use him frequently enough. Or as a veteran depth player. If you could have him for that $1-2M. FWIW. The goal-less slump is quite the feat, to be sure. But still not really representative of the way he has played much of the time. He's a bit better than that. He should really be thought of as like a 5-8 goal scorer, not a 0 goal scorer.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:43 PM
AwesomePanthers
Go Quacks!

And you're a Panthers fan?!

Gomez makes 7 mill for not scoring goals.. freaking terrible proposal..

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Beakermania*

Done Deal.

I'll drive Gomez to the airport myself.

No take backsies.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:55 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Well, to be honest none of the "negative value" returns (and yes, bad contracts on Upshall and Santorelli count to me as "negative value") would appeal to me. Gomez's buyout cap hit isn't really much/any more painful than this. I'd rather have just the buyout cap hit and no spare bodies back.

And Gomez isn't exactly "finished". He's finished as a 50+ point player, perhaps. But he's a decent $1-2M scrap heap player who could chip in 30-40 points if called on by a team with enough desperation to use him frequently enough. Or as a veteran depth player. If you could have him for that $1-2M. FWIW. The goal-less slump is quite the feat, to be sure. But still not really representative of the way he has played much of the time. He's a bit better than that. He should really be thought of as like a 5-8 goal scorer, not a 0 goal scorer.
Buying out Upshall would be cheaper, than buying out Gomez.... I'd do it for that alone....

Santorelli for 1 year at 1.6 is not a bad contract.

Old
02-01-2012, 05:08 PM
Canadiens Ghost
Mr. Objectivity

At first I was convinced it was a Habs fan making the proposal and I was shaking my head. I was shocked when I realised it was made by a Panthers fan. Don't you love your team? LOL

As a Habs fan, I would say a big YES and no take backs but this is definitely not a fair deal for Florida.

Canadiens Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:17 PM
bryan1966

Habs will take this trade anytime!

bryan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post

Santorelli is signed at 1.6 mil for 1 more season, how's that negative?

02-01-2012, 05:36 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

i would accept this trade. On one condition:That Montreal stops invading the Bank Atlantic Center when there team comes to town.

Considering that will never happen. I will reject this trade and laugh while doing so.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:27 PM
Halifaxhab

Not that getting any value for Gomez would happen, but if someone were to offer this, I hope Gauthier looks closely.

Upshall while a solid 3rd line option is expensive, but that isn't the issue, it's his modified NMC keeping him from being waived.

At least with Gomez, we can just waive him and save the 7.27M off the cap. With Upshall we don't get that option.

Not to mention we don't have a 5th this year.

Although I would happily send Gomez to FLA in the hopes he regains a 50pt form. But I have no idea what would work to get him there

Halifaxhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:54 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
The guy is done. I mean hell, he has gome 50+ games without scoring a goal.
ur rong

he has gone a YEAR without scoring a goal. im not talking a season, im talking about a YEAR

to be fair, scotty can still take the zone like no one else though. also: funny interviews

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Habitant le colon

i'll drive players from mtl to miami to be sure this deal is done ... gosh this is not a habs fan proposal !! well let's do mine then hahaha

Gomez AK46 cgy 2013 second rounder

vs

Santorelli Ellerby fla 2012 3rd

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:17 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by panthersflames1 View Post
i would accept this trade. On one condition:That Montreal stops invading the Bank Atlantic Center when there team comes to town.

Considering that will never happen. I will reject this trade and laugh while doing so.
Your owners will take our money and like it.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:44 PM
onice

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursavolta View Post
After the season is over...

Florida
---------
Gomez
5th Round Pick

Montreal
-----------
Santorelli
Upshall

[/B]

When you apply for the Florida GM position let me know, I'll polish your CV. It'll sparkle so much the Panthers owners will need sunglasses to read it. I'll also get half of Montreal to give you letters of recommendation.

But you must promise not to back out of this deal.

BTW, if you also take Kaberle, I'll get you an autographed photo of Pierre McGuire handling a big stick

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

I would definitely take this trade.

On the plus though, Gomez has been playing pretty decent hockey since returning.

Hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:44 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Upshall has a terrible contract, but yea gimme.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Toastman

Nobody wants gomez

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote