HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars and GBR: #49 at Sabres

Old
02-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Henrik Lundqvist, full of grace.
D. Hasek is with thee.
Blessed art thou among men,
and blessed is the fruit of thy performance,
glove saves.
Henrik Lundqvist, stopper of pucks,
pray for Brad Richards,
now and at the hour of his buyout.
Amen.
Oh jesus.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:59 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Richards showed some signs of life, but the offense was putrid. Buffalo played well defensively, but it's easier when the opposition does so little on offense. We just don't have the skill. Richards is the only player on the team with special passing ability, and he isn't playing with the right players. Stepan is sliding back into last season's bad habits.

The Rangers were able to mask it for a few months, but the problem is the same today that it was 4 years ago: they just don't pass the puck very well, they don't cycle the puck with a purpose, and they struggle to create high quality scoring chances.

Luckily, the D continues to be superb, and Lundqvist just continues to prove that he's a hall of fame-caliber goaltender.
Richards looked pretty good to me but he's still slumping so hard. He can't get lucky at all.

But another scorer isn't going to suddenly alleviate every problem, let's be realistic. Part of it is a system "problem" and another guy, unless he's a legit superstar like Malkin, isn't going to magically come in and turn around the offense.

I thought the Rangers played pretty well until they got that PP in the third period and then they absolutely imploded and Buffalo went on a tear for like 13 straight minutes. That's definitely when Lundqvist had to be his best and he rose to the occasion. Dunno what the crap happened there but it was like Buffalo suddenly decided they were a fantastic team

Rather frustrating two games after the break but at least they came away with 3 out of 4 points

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:00 PM
charlie460
Stone Age Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Henrik Lundqvist, full of grace.
D. Hasek is with thee.
Blessed art thou among men,
and blessed is the fruit of thy performance,
glove saves.
Henrik Lundqvist, stopper of pucks,
pray for Brad Richards,
now and at the hour of his buyout.
Amen.

charlie460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I hate the shootout. Bring back ties, screw the fair weather fans who think a game can't end tied. Neither team deserved to win, but neither goalie deserved to lose.
I am far from a fair weather fan, and I can't stand ties. But there are certain games where neither team/goalie deserves to lose. Tonight would be one of them. The other one that comes to mind is the 1-0 shootout loss to the Devils 2 years ago. One of the best regular season games I have ever seen.

Make overtime 10 mins. Five minutes 4 on 4, Five minutes 3 on 3. Would solve the problem, 90% of the time.

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
It sickens me the lack of pure hockey talent/sick hands t a lot of players on this team have. Stepan, Richards, even Callahan and others have no sense in how to deke.

Take Richards for example. You can't fake a goalie with a sad, amateur move like that. You have to have some hands! Learn to deke! You're ****ing NHL pros for christsake! I face guys who could make silly moves that I've never seen many of our players do minus a select few.

The reality is, Hank saves. Plain and simple. We are an overrated team that lacks lots of talent. This is what worries me from truly believing we are a true contender to go deep in the playoffs despite our ridiculous record.

If Biron is our number 1 where are we?

Scary thought.
This is a direct result of the team's drafting philosophy, and you can't really criticize it because it's getting results in the standings. Dekes don't win playoff games.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:01 PM
OverTheCap

The PP is beyond a joke at this point. In OT, they were just passing the puck around the perimeter. No one was willing to take initiative and make a play. Not only do they lack creativity, but they lack confidence now as well. I have no clue how they are going to turn the PP around.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I honestly don't know what the issue is here.

I think some of you are confusing lack of ability with a defensive minded hockey club. Tortorella has the team playing in a manner that maximizes each of our assets and abilities to its greatest potential. Literally, any other style of play and we are not in first place right now. And some of you have the gall to complain about the team???

It doesn't matter if we aren't top 5 in the NHL in offense. We are on pace to give up 160 goals this year, which would be the single stingiest defensive performance the NHL has seen since the lockout. Probably well before it but that is as far back as I looked. (Remember to not include goals added on for shootout losses)

02-01-2012, 11:03 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
Some a** hat seriously said something like that?
Oh, yeah. That was an awesome thread. I remember the exact culprits, but I won't name names. Although with the search function working once again, someone could probably track that thread down and read through it if they wanted.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:04 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
This is a direct result of the team's drafting philosophy, and you can't really criticize it because it's getting results in the standings. Dekes don't win playoff games.
If the puck goes in the back of the net, then it does.

I believe he was referring to the fact that we cannot score any "pretty" goals (aka tic-tac-toe off the rush), and pretty goals can definitely help if the grinding game isn't working.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post

I think some of you are confusing lack of ability with a defensive minded hockey club. Tortorella has the team playing in a manner that maximizes each of our assets and abilities to its greatest potential. Literally, any other style of play and we are not in first place right now. And some of you have the gall to complain about the team???

It doesn't matter if we aren't top 5 in the NHL in offense. We are on pace to give up 160 goals this year, which would be the single stingiest defensive performance the NHL has seen since the lockout. Probably well before it but that is as far back as I looked. (Remember to not include goals added on for shootout losses)
I agree with your overall assessment, but I do think we need another legitimate top-six guy to really make me feel fully comfortable in our team.

Although honestly, when you think about it, if Richards and Dubinsky were providing their typical offensive production, we'd probably be top five in scoring. So maybe it's not even an issue that we need to address externally?

Old
02-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:

He definitely is and it's great that he's doing so; however, there is little to no individual creativity.

We can play the grinding game, but what about just an iota of offensive creativity?

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nevesis

Quote:

I think some of you are confusing lack of ability with a defensive minded hockey club.
Absolutely not. A majority of our players lack TALENT. This is a fact. We are getting by in other ways. It's been this way for a while. You should be able to see this.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Did you skip the 1st and 3rd?

This team plays such boneheaded hockey sometimes I can't believe their position in the standings. No team in the NHL moves the puck worse then them. Columbus moves the puck twice as good as the Rangers, I'm dead serious. Lundqvist played his best game after Vancouver tonight.
Hey, I've said that this team needs more offensive talent for YEARS now - basically since I've been posting here. I would love to see an upgrade in that department.

That doesn't change the fact that I think that the score was more a result of the teams' tight checking and superior goaltending than their offensive ineptitude. I thought it was an evenly matched game and I'm willing to give Buffalo credit for also playing a solid defensive game. As someone else pointed out, they were stacking 4 at the line consistently - Mario Lemieux had trouble (relatively speaking) with that kind of defensive coverage.

Now go get me Bobby Ryan and start winning these games 2-0.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
mtxed

Did Dubinsky get hurt?

mtxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Oh, yeah. That was an awesome thread. I remember the exact culprits, but I won't name names. Although with the search function working once again, someone could probably track that thread down and read through it if they wanted.
Did the search a few weeks ago. Looks like I missed a few good laughs by not joining HF earlier.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:08 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:

There also hasn't been a cup winning team since the lockout to finish lower than 4th in the conference in goal scoring--we're in 8th now and plenty back of the top teams in the east. There's too much reliance on defense and goaltending and you can see at points in many games where we're on our heels entirely too much in our end relying on the above. We absolutely need some more offense and/or a better powerplay if we're really going to try and win the whole thing.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
I agree with your overall assessment, but I do think we need another legitimate top-six guy to really make me feel fully comfortable in our team.

Although honestly, when you think about it, if Richards and Dubinsky were providing their typical offensive production, we'd probably be top five in scoring. So maybe it's not even an issue that we need to address externally?
I think the Rangers should try to get Jeff Carter, so I suppose that puts me in that boat.

But aside from the power play and some individual performances (Which in the grand scheme of things are irrelevant provided the team is winning games) I really can see nothing to criticize from this game.

Oh, and Staal had one bad pinch. Stralman fought the puck a little.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011 View Post
There also hasn't been a cup winning team since the lockout to finish lower than 4th in the conference in goal scoring--we're in 8th now and plenty back of the top teams in the east. There's too much reliance on defense and goaltending and you can see at points in many games where we're on our heels entirely too much in our end relying on the above. We absolutely need some more offense and/or a better powerplay if we're really going to try and win the whole thing.
People said we couldn't win without a star center too. Now we have Richards.

But to be honest, you are always going to be able to find one reason or another why we "cant'" win the cup because no team has done it in that fashion recently.

Be trendsetters. We don't need to try to duplicate everyone else's model for cup wins. And we certainly won't win the cup by scoring 4 goals a game.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:11 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtxed View Post
Did Dubinsky get hurt?
I don't think so. Saw him skate away from the celebration to grab the puck at the end of the game. (Not sure why - maybe it was Callahan's first ever shootout winner?)

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
I don't think so. Saw him skate away from the celebration to grab the puck at the end of the game. (Not sure why - maybe it was Callahan's first ever shootout winner?)
It's a reminder that Henrik should be forever exempt from the game where they pick who pays for dinner.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:15 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
He definitely is and it's great that he's doing so; however, there is little to no individual creativity.

We can play the grinding game, but what about just an iota of offensive creativity?
Wojtek Wolski is an example of why this team favors grit over offensive creativity.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Hank is the best in the world and it's not even close.

That's all.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Wojtek Wolski is an example of why this team favors grit over offensive creativity.
I'd like a guy that can play gritty and also be counted on for 50+ points. I just don't know how many of those types will be available.

Old
02-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
I'd like a guy that can play gritty and also be counted on for 50+ points. I just don't know how many of those types will be available.
Ryan Callahan

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:19 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Quote:
People said we couldn't win without a star center too. Now we have Richards.

But to be honest, you are always going to be able to find one reason or another why we "cant'" win the cup because no team has done it in that fashion recently.

Be trendsetters. We don't need to try to duplicate everyone else's model for cup wins. And we certainly won't win the cup by scoring 4 goals a game.
I like the optimism. I just get the feeling that when you have to play four rounds of playoffs, there's going to be a couple games or a chunk of games where your concept might not be there and you might need the ability to match other teams offensive ability.

Our concept is simple, yet it's very difficult to be consistent with and astonishing to me that we have been able to for over half a season with great success. Some people might not agree with me and think it's quite simple, but in todays game I think it's a tough concept to duplicate four times over in each round without having an offense you can really rely on. Richards turning it up a notch and the power play is going to be the difference in the next three weeks to whether we make a deal in my view

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote