HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Injury Talk 4.0: Markov practicing with the team, now with contact

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2012, 10:16 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Totals :

With Markov
192-117-40 ,607 424 points on 349 games
Good for 99,6 points on 82 games

Without Markov
19-36-3

I guess knee-jerk reactions must be second nature to you guys.

I shall supply crow:

Old
02-01-2012, 10:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
He's more important than Price. Habs always find good goalies, they've been good in that department well before Price (Halak, Huet, Theodore). But for Markov, Habs were never able to fully replace what he brought. No matter who's the goalie, Habs are a 100 points team with Markov in the lineup on a full season. But when he's not there, no matter who's the goalie, we've rarely managed to be that good.
We were pretty good with Wiz last season. Before we got him we were crashing and burning and he basically saved us from our usual mid season swoon.

Markov is a great player when he's healthy but we can't count on him to stay that way. We should plan for him not being here. That's would be the smart way to prepare for our next season. If he plays all 82 games... great! So much the better. But we can't keep assuming he's going to be back in the lineup and then making patchwork fixes when he doesn't return.

Old
02-02-2012, 04:51 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
you guys must be special and don't need to check the stats before contesting something, or... :

Since the lockout

2005-2006 (Huet and Theodore shared the net that season)

With Markov
39-20-8 ,642 (good for 105 points on 82 games)

Without Markov
3-11-1 ,233 (good for 38 points on 82 games)

2006-2007 (Huet and Aebischer goaled most of the games)

With Markov
40-32-5 ,590 (good for 97 points on 82 games)

Without Markov
2-2-1 ,500 (good for 82 points on 82 games)

2007-2008 (Huet and Price shared the net that season)

With Markov
47-25-10 ,634 104 points

2008-2009 (Price and Halak shared the net that season)

With Markov
41-27-10 ,590 (good for 97 points on 82 games)

Without Markov
0-3-1

2009-2010 (Halak and Price shared the net that season)

With Markov
25-13-7 ,633 (good for 104 points on 82 games)

Without Markov
14-20-3 ,419 (good for 69 points on 82 games)

Totals :

With Markov

Without Markov
19-36-3

I would also add the only time the Bruins could beat Montreal in the playoffs was when Markov was injured. No way they would of won a Cup last year. The Habs with Markov in the lineup would of eliminated the Bruins.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:35 AM
GoHomez

Quote:
Totals :

With Markov

Without Markov
19-36-3

That's just depressing....

Old
02-02-2012, 07:02 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Totals :

With Markov

Without Markov
19-36-3
Ouch! Well then... Obviously, he won't be in top shape in his first couple of games, but I'd hate to see Montreal with a slightly above .500 average from this point on until the end of the season. Hopefully, Markov is healed 100%, but I can totally see his reinsertion in the line-up advance us to 10th/9th.

Old
02-02-2012, 07:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
We were pretty good with Wiz last season. Before we got him we were crashing and burning and he basically saved us from our usual mid season swoon.

Markov is a great player when he's healthy but we can't count on him to stay that way. We should plan for him not being here. That's would be the smart way to prepare for our next season. If he plays all 82 games... great! So much the better. But we can't keep assuming he's going to be back in the lineup and then making patchwork fixes when he doesn't return.
Guys like Markov don't grow on trees. It's not like saying you want to plan in case AK or Gill gets hurt. There are only 10 guys in the NHL who can control a game from the blueline like Markov.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:21 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
If Markov gets cleared to play, then he's healed. No point in letting him heal past his healing point..
The guy needs playing time, if he's healed, there's no point in keeping him out.

Today he's a huge injury risk, heck, we still don't even know if he'll be able to continue his career.
If he gets cleared and is able to play 2months without suffering any damage, we don't need to worry as much. A depth signing would suffice.
If he doesn't get cleared, then he remains a huge question mark. A replacement would be needed.

Even if he remains a risk, at least if he plays 2months without any damage, then you at least know he should be ready by game 1 of next year and everything should be fine.
It does change your outlook imo.
This is correct. We need information on Marky to make decisions this summer. If there is no additional risk by starting him March 1, play him.

I suspect why LG would like him to 'rest' just a bit more.....hmmm.

So start him Feb 28th.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:36 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
This just in Markov skating BUT catches edge and tears up knee again out indefinatly lol
Don't friggin joke dude. That's not funny! That **** happens.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:01 AM
FeelsLike93

So what this all proves is when we have a clear #1 defenseman in the lineup (doesn't even have to be Markov) we're a true playoff contender and maybe even a Cup contender(?). The record with Markov speaks for itself. And the difference is this year we didn't even try to patch up his injury we brought in guys within the organization (Emelin,Diaz,Weber) to play a bigger role.
If he comesback next year he won't be like he was but most likely a solid #3 guy. We still need to get ourselves a #1 dman till Subban proves he can do it

Old
02-02-2012, 09:25 AM
CGG

Quote:
This just in Markov skating BUT catches edge and tears up knee again out indefinatly lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad View Post
Really? I heard he blew it out when he bent over to tie his skate...
Quote:
Or was it getting into his beemer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
I heard he hurt it reaching for pancakes
This is disgraceful, I hope you guys are proud of yourselves and your ridiculously immature attempt at witty one-liners while reveling in the misfortune of the best player on your favourite team. Seriously, why come to this thread and hang around making stupid posts like this? Find something better to do with your life other than cheering for the guy to be constantly injured / retired.

Old
02-02-2012, 09:28 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post

I shall supply crow:

It's a compliment to Markov. Crows are among the most intelligent of birds.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Guys like Markov don't grow on trees.
Neither do great goalies. It's amazing that we've been as lucky as we have with goalies but it doesn't usually work out that way. Look at Philly.
Quote:
It's not like saying you want to plan in case AK or Gill gets hurt. There are only 10 guys in the NHL who can control a game from the blueline like Markov.
The Habs are a club that is offensively challenged. For years we've lived and died by our PP. Markov was great for us but look at our record with and without Wiz. A PP quarterback makes a huge difference on a team like ours where goals have mostly been hard to come by. We may not be able to fully replace Markov but certainly there are other guys out there who can also make a big difference.

As for Markov being great... well, that's very true. But we've killed ourselves waiting in vain for him to come back. Last season there was no excuse not to know this and this year it's even more unforgivable. At what point does management take the smart approach and realize that he's a huge injury risk?

We have to plan for him not to be here. That's what a smart team would've done. If he comes back and plays well for us, well then we're just all that much better off. We've waited around for him to come back and it's killed us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
This is correct. We need information on Marky to make decisions this summer. If there is no additional risk by starting him March 1, play him.

I suspect why LG would like him to 'rest' just a bit more.....hmmm.

So start him Feb 28th.
Unless we're showcasing him for a trade, I don't see any hurry to bring him back.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:37 AM
bishop12
Ovyously

Markov staked for 30 min today apparently.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:44 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Neither do great goalies. It's amazing that we've been as lucky as we have with goalies but it doesn't usually work out that way. Look at Philly.

The Habs are a club that is offensively challenged. For years we've lived and died by our PP. Markov was great for us but look at our record with and without Wiz. A PP quarterback makes a huge difference on a team like ours where goals have mostly been hard to come by. We may not be able to fully replace Markov but certainly there are other guys out there who can also make a big difference.

As for Markov being great... well, that's very true. But we've killed ourselves waiting in vain for him to come back. Last season there was no excuse not to know this and this year it's even more unforgivable. At what point does management take the smart approach and realize that he's a huge injury risk?

We have to plan for him not to be here. That's what a smart team would've done. If he comes back and plays well for us, well then we're just all that much better off. We've waited around for him to come back and it's killed us.

Unless we're showcasing him for a trade, I don't see any hurry to bring him back.
What would be a good contingency play if Markov gets hurt? Let's trade Price to Chicago for Duncan Keith?

Guys like that don't grow on trees, even if you fear them getting hurt, you can't replace them. Whoever steps in won't be as good and the team as a whole is weakened...when Hamrlik was stepping in to the top guy role it weakened the #3-4 spots on defense.

My biggest issue with the Markov situation is, was his knee 100% when he hurt it last year, why did they not find out about the "loose bodies" in the knee until December? On the medical side his treatment/recovery looks like it's been very poorly handled from the outside.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:53 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
What would be a good contingency play if Markov gets hurt? Let's trade Price to Chicago for Duncan Keith?

Guys like that don't grow on trees, even if you fear them getting hurt, you can't replace them. Whoever steps in won't be as good and the team as a whole is weakened...when Hamrlik was stepping in to the top guy role it weakened the #3-4 spots on defense.

My biggest issue with the Markov situation is, was his knee 100% when he hurt it last year, why did they not find out about the "loose bodies" in the knee until December? On the medical side his treatment/recovery looks like it's been very poorly handled from the outside.
Agreed but look at the gongshow around Crosby's injury/injuries. You'd think the best player in the world would be getting the best treatment but look where we are, these things happen with sports injuries.

I am just glad he is skating and a return is hopefully eminent, just as long as they don't rush him and he is good for next year.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Agreed but look at the gongshow around Crosby's injury/injuries. You'd think the best player in the world would be getting the best treatment but look where we are, these things happen with sports injuries.

I am just glad he is skating and a return is hopefully eminent, just as long as they don't rush him and he is good for next year.
Concussions are a lot harder to predict and nail down than knee or shoulder injuries. Not a lot is known about brain injuries and recovery.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:09 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Concussions are a lot harder to predict and nail down than knee or shoulder injuries. Not a lot is known about brain injuries and recovery.
Yeah but I am referring to the broken neck/soft tissue fiasco to go along with the concussion, somebody screwed up.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
This is disgraceful, I hope you guys are proud of yourselves and your ridiculously immature attempt at witty one-liners while reveling in the misfortune of the best player on your favourite team. Seriously, why come to this thread and hang around making stupid posts like this? Find something better to do with your life other than cheering for the guy to be constantly injured / retired.
They are the same people who will jump aboard the Markov bandwagon once he plays his first shift.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Andy

Markov keeps skating longer and longer each time he skates. He skated 30 min today. I hope he'll be practicing with the team soon, even if its non contact

Old
02-02-2012, 12:29 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
you guys must be special and don't need to check the stats before contesting something, or... :

Since the lockout

2005-2006 (Huet and Theodore shared the net that season)

With Markov
39-20-8 ,642 (good for 105 points on 82 games)

Without Markov
3-11-1 ,233 (good for 38 points on 82 games)

2006-2007 (Huet and Aebischer goaled most of the games)

With Markov
40-32-5 ,590 (good for 97 points on 82 games)

Without Markov
2-2-1 ,500 (good for 82 points on 82 games)

2007-2008 (Huet and Price shared the net that season)

With Markov
47-25-10 ,634 104 points

2008-2009 (Price and Halak shared the net that season)

With Markov
41-27-10 ,590 (good for 97 points on 82 games)

Without Markov
0-3-1

2009-2010 (Halak and Price shared the net that season)

With Markov
25-13-7 ,633 (good for 104 points on 82 games)

Without Markov
14-20-3 ,419 (good for 69 points on 82 games)

Totals :

With Markov

Without Markov
19-36-3

boom!
very good post!

Old
02-02-2012, 12:34 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind_the_gap View Post
Markov staked for 30 min today apparently.
Thats why he hasnt played for so long- he is a Vampire- Must have been bitten by Count Gauthier!! LOL

Old
02-02-2012, 12:35 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
They are the same people who will jump aboard the Markov bandwagon once he plays his first shift.
yep- he will make a simple pass and they will be oooohing and ahhhing until he gets crunched a bit and comes of the ice with a lame leg- and then they will be ooooohing and ahhhing

Old
02-02-2012, 12:50 PM
speed11

checking stats? you're assuming if markov plays a full season, we become a 100pt team

as if markov would play 82 games in a season to prorate those numbers.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:00 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
I think everyone should read this. Like twice.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
02-02-2012, 01:01 PM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Your postdoesn't really get to the issue. You said the Habs are a 100 point team with Markov, as in the current team, which is why I said no. First of all, this team is worse than any of the teams you listed, second, we must factor that Markov is older and more fragile.

Basically, for Markov to make this team a 100 point team he would need to be worth 11+ wins over the course of a season.

I like Markov and he's been great, obviously but at this stage it's a massive stretch to say he's the most important player on the roster and it's completely unrealistic to expect Markov to actually make this roster a 100 point team.

Also, just out of curiosity, why did you leave out last year's numbers with Markov and without?

Closed Thread