HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Portzline says Howson, Priest "look safe"

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-01-2012, 05:00 PM
  #76
FANonymous
Registered User
 
FANonymous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,911
vCash: 500
No confidence whatsoever. Howson has been given a chance to assemble a team and it's dead last. The highlight of his tenure here is backing into the playoffs at the 8-seed and getting swept.

Howson has proven that with small deals he can find some gems, but with the big trades, FA signings, and resigning players to new contracts, that he just can't get it done consistent enough to make a positive difference. Additionally his coaching hire has been a bomb as well. Priest needs to go too. He oversaw this mess.

If we're starting over we might as well start over cleanly.

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:11 PM
  #77
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,037
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
No confidence whatsoever. Howson has been given a chance to assemble a team and it's dead last. The highlight of his tenure here is backing into the playoffs at the 8-seed and getting swept.

Howson has proven that with small deals he can find some gems, but with the big trades, FA signings, and resigning players to new contracts, that he just can't get it done consistent enough to make a positive difference. Additionally his coaching hire has been a bomb as well. Priest needs to go too. He oversaw this mess.

If we're starting over we might as well start over cleanly.
Well said FANonymous, although it's not always true past practice is an indicator of the future. Problem is, I don't think there is time to get a new mgt team in place prior to the trade deadline... by default Howson is going to get one more chance to improve the team.


Last edited by Robert: 02-01-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:12 PM
  #78
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 15,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Let's imagine going into this draft/free agency, or hell, even the trade deadline. Scott Howson is still the GM and Priest the President, do you have any faith that they would be able to make the right moves for this hockey club moving forward?

Now we've debated which moves were right/wrong countless times, but do you think Howson is honestly capable of acquiring the correct assets for the players he decides to move, draft correctly, and overpay for free agents yet again? I am having a horrible time believing that. He's had way too long to just consistently put a worse performance on the ice.

How long before we can contend for even the playoffs again? Three to four years? A cup does not even look anything close, if we even get the first overall, which we will probably lose out on as well, can save this club if Howson is still leading the decisions made by this club. Going to have to find another club to cheer on as well if that is the case.

Any confidence?
I'll say yes, but I've been lumped in with the Optimists Brigade before.

I believe that Howson's trade record, by and large, has been a positive. Let's take the Carter/Voracek trade off the table for a minute, mostly because we have no idea what the end game is. The next worst trade made is what exactly? Glencross for Tarnstrom? There have been a lot of assets acquired where little was given up.

Drafting hasn't been bad either. Certainly it's an improvement over the previous GM. But outside of Filatov, who are the busts or the guys who didn't pan out and aren't prospects? There's Trent Vogelhuber and Kevin Lynch, plus Stefan Legein and his short-term retirement.

Overpaying for free agents is a reality of life in a small market. The only way that Columbus (or several other teams) will ever get quality free agents for a true market-value contract is in the event of moving assets to get negotiating rights. Wisniewski is a good example; in an open market, that's about the contract that he would have gotten. But it cost a draft pick to get even that chance; he likely never would have seriously considered a Columbus offer unless it was substantially more than what everyone else was offering.

The only real comparison across the league is with Nashville. And I have a very clear recollection of what Nashville looked like in their first five years: extremely soft, not much chemistry, and needing to trade for or draft their players because UFAs sure weren't coming. They also had a few guys from their early drafts who didn't amount to much. Their emergence as a good team, let alone a contending team, seemingly came out of nowhere.

Personally, I'm not ready to run for the hills if the current regime is still on board through the end of June (or afterward). I believe this year is an aberration, and I am certainly curious to see what the on-ice product would look like if a coach like a Mike Babcock or a Dave Tippett were to go behind the bench here.

But that's just me, and in case I don't get enough vitriol thrown my way on the main boards, I now await the same here.

Mayor Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:22 PM
  #79
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,971
vCash: 500
The team has no identity because Howson has no idea on what kind of team he wants to build (this year). It's something different every year. So we get a mishmash of various pieces and parts that don't fit well together.

To put it another way, instead of the total being greater than the sum of its parts, the CBJ is LESS than the sum of its parts.

I have absolutely zero confidence in Scott Howson. As long as he's here, it doesn't matter who the coach is because he won't have the talent to WIN.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:24 PM
  #80
CapnCornelius
Registered User
 
CapnCornelius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 10,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Let's imagine going into this draft/free agency, or hell, even the trade deadline. Scott Howson is still the GM and Priest the President, do you have any faith that they would be able to make the right moves for this hockey club moving forward?

Now we've debated which moves were right/wrong countless times, but do you think Howson is honestly capable of acquiring the correct assets for the players he decides to move, draft correctly, and overpay for free agents yet again? I am having a horrible time believing that. He's had way too long to just consistently put a worse performance on the ice.

How long before we can contend for even the playoffs again? Three to four years? A cup does not even look anything close, if we even get the first overall, which we will probably lose out on as well, can save this club if Howson is still leading the decisions made by this club. Going to have to find another club to cheer on as well if that is the case.

Any confidence?
No confidence. As I said Saturday, Howson's problem is one of building a team. On the micro level each deal looks fine. It is the totality of the moves, the end result, that is the problem. Which is why I don't want him around at deadline, let alone the draft.

CapnCornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:25 PM
  #81
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,971
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'll say yes, but I've been lumped in with the Optimists Brigade before.

I believe that Howson's trade record, by and large, has been a positive. Let's take the Carter/Voracek trade off the table for a minute, mostly because we have no idea what the end game is. The next worst trade made is what exactly? Glencross for Tarnstrom?
Chimera for Clark and Jurchina comes to mind. But it's not the trades, it's the UFA signings and the re-signings of our guys that are the albatross around Scott Howson's neck.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:29 PM
  #82
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!
 
ClevelandJacketFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: ...Really?
Country: United States
Posts: 3,229
vCash: 500
It would be time to swallow the cyanide pill.

With his total neglect of both the goalie position and defense, and his mismash of talent on the forwards, and his total misses in the draft *perhaps Johansen has a shot* I'd say that we don't have a chance in hell. His trades have been decent but still, his inactivity and neglect of defensive positions are what puts his ineptitude over the top.

ClevelandJacketFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:33 PM
  #83
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,037
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'll say yes, but I've been lumped in with the Optimists Brigade before.

But that's just me, and in case I don't get enough vitriol thrown my way on the main boards, I now await the same here.
You're entitled to your opinion even though I disagree. Howson has had fives years and his roster TODAY (based on points) is the worst in CBJ history and one of the worst in NHL history. If five years is not enough how many should he be given? One, five, ten or more?

Howson has made some good moves but every GM that gets fired has done something good... it's the final product and consistency that counts, clearly we have neither.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:40 PM
  #84
EspenK
Registered User
 
EspenK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Chimera for Clark and Jurchina comes to mind. But it's not the trades, it's the UFA signings and the re-signings of our guys that are the albatross around Scott Howson's neck.
I agree wholeheartedly that the re-signings & the UFA's are the albatross. For all the talk of blowing up the team, go take a look at cap geek. Then try and figure out how to blow up the team It ain't easy with the contracts and the sub-par performances.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 05:41 PM
  #85
650X2
Registered User
 
650X2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 534
vCash: 500
What I am most upset about all of this. Is this seems like the right time to completely start over. I have a hard time believing we won't be finishing last which means we will either have 1st overall or 2nd overall.

We have a number of tradeable assets.

It just seems like the right time to bring someone in and not let the guy who has been trying the same thing for five years continue what he was doing.

I feel like we could have a battle ship by now but we have been filling holes in our dingy forever.

(I just wanted to type dingy)

650X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 06:39 PM
  #86
GScott
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 718
vCash: 500
Absolutely none. This quote just yesterday from Howson:

"We still believe Mason can become a great goalie for us"

I would like to believe he wasn't serious but the fact that Mason is still on the team tells me otherwise.

I also question his trades. He has taken tradeable assets and turned them into rentals. Klesla and Chimera come to mind. Shedding Klesla's salary was nice but he should have held on to him until the summer and moved him in a package that actually filled a need. Let's not forget that it was Phoenix that called him for that one. That brings up another trade he always gets too much credit for, Umberger. Again it was Philly that approached him on that one. He doesn't have the stones to make the moves that this team needs and if he and Priest are still here next season then I am officially done with this team.

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:10 PM
  #87
IBleedUnionBlue
Registered User
 
IBleedUnionBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,138
vCash: 14216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Any confidence?
No.

And not trying to be a doofus, but how is this thread any different then the others on the same subject? I just guess I waver between frustrated or numb to all of this. There really isnt any more that needs said that hasnt already been rehashed beyond infinity.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
  #88
Nikita Filatov
Registered User
 
Nikita Filatov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Columbus
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
No.

And not trying to be a doofus, but how is this thread any different then the others on the same subject? I just guess I waver between frustrated or numb to all of this. There really isnt any more that needs said that hasnt already been rehashed beyond infinity.
I was trying to get people's thoughts on whether Howson and Priest are capable of continuing to run the hockey club moving forward. Can they handle the deadline, the draft, etc.

Nikita Filatov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:51 PM
  #89
leesmith
Still in.
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 16,971
vCash: 500
Can we add a poll to this thread to measure the amount of confidence the hardcore portion of the CBJ fan base has in Howson to rebuild the team?

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:03 PM
  #90
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners
 
Fred Glover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ohio
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,169
vCash: 500
I am losing confidence in Howson by each quote he gives to the Dispatch.

He said he was going to be active at the last trade deadline too. How did that turn out for us? Scotty Upshall? Please

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:33 PM
  #91
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 31,037
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Can we add a poll to this thread to measure the amount of confidence the hardcore portion of the CBJ fan base has in Howson to rebuild the team?
I'll take the fast track....

Total confidence: 10
Some Confidence: 16
No confidence: 120

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:53 PM
  #92
KeithBWhittington
Going North
 
KeithBWhittington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Brick by Brick
Country: Hungary
Posts: 10,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
The team has no identity because Howson has no idea on what kind of team he wants to build (this year). It's something different every year. So we get a mishmash of various pieces and parts that don't fit well together.

To put it another way, instead of the total being greater than the sum of its parts, the CBJ is LESS than the sum of its parts.

I have absolutely zero confidence in Scott Howson. As long as he's here, it doesn't matter who the coach is because he won't have the talent to WIN.
The problem is that this management group wrote checks their underlings couldn't cash too early in their tenures. "Win Now" was great PR, but terrible because this organization wasn't a handful of moves away from winning, but a handful of moves away from simply being competitive consistently.

Now this organization is "stuck in neutral". In what could have been Post- "Year 5" of a full and total organizational rebuild, we are mirred in this purgatory-type situation with of highest payroll and highest expectations before the season and a season with so much promise over before the ASB.

This is why I can't stomach a rebuild under this management group, they lost their best oppurtunity and fan support for any such move years ago. 5 years of failed plans so far doesn't fill me with enough confidence that these two will wake up and suddenly "get it right" just because they haven't tried a particular option yet.

Paralyzed by disbelief by this season or not, The lethargic response by this front office has been damning...

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.