HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How critical is 1st place in the West this year?

Old
02-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I'm not so sure whether the Torres hit was a catalyst, so much as the Hawks realizing they were better than they were playing and being on the brink of elimination combining with the Canucks supposed flu bug.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:24 PM
DFAC

vCash: 500
Very critical... pretty much the difference from facing a CHI/NSH/STL caliber team as opposed to a MIN/COL/DAL/PHX/CAL.

LA somewhere in between there.

It'd suck if Anaheim made the 8th spot and we faced them in the first round

DFAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:24 PM
DFAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I'm not so sure whether the Torres hit was a catalyst, so much as the Hawks realizing they were better than they were playing and being on the brink of elimination combining with the Canucks supposed flu bug.
Hm.... do you think the Rome hit on Horton changed the series?

Old
02-01-2012, 07:27 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFAC View Post
Not directed to me but I would say losing Hamhuis had a bigger impact on the ice. I feel safe to say that if hamhuis were around losing Rome to Tanev wouldn't have made *THAT* much of a difference.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
DFAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Not directed to me but I would say losing Hamhuis had a bigger impact on the ice. I feel safe to say that if hamhuis were around losing Rome to Tanev wouldn't have made *THAT* much of a difference.
Well not so much as losing Rome but firing up the Bruins and giving them something to play for. Remember at this time they're down 0-2 and things are looking pretty bleak.

Old
02-01-2012, 07:32 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Very critical... pretty much the difference from facing a CHI/NSH/STL caliber team as opposed to a MIN/COL/DAL/PHX/CAL.

LA somewhere in between there.

Ducks are playing way over their heads right now. They aren't that good of a team. That being said, I'd welcome the opportunity to crush them and get revenge for '07, while staying within the same time zone.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 07:48 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Well not so much as losing Rome but firing up the Bruins and giving them something to play for. Remember at this time they're down 0-2 and things are looking pretty bleak.
Honestly, when the hit took place I felt Bruins *tough* image would dissapear and their souls would be crushed.

I feel the media really took a **** on us(hit not being worthy of a suspension of that magnitude, blowing it out of proportion) was not expecting to go down 2 games. In Boston even with their push. The momentum that hit created should not have been enough to win the series, ceteris paribus.

*I'll stop detailing the thread now. Good thing there's already one regarding last tears run.. sigh..

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 08:06 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
I think it did - but in a different way. The Bruins were much tougher and pulled more **** after the whistle after that hit than before, IMO. Basically **** hit the fan for us there. In terms of actual play, they looked more determined. They were giving up on a lot of plays when things weren't going their way before that, but they got a few bounces and I think they felt better as a team at the end of that game than before it - understandably, of course.

Old
02-01-2012, 08:16 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think it did - but in a different way. The Bruins were much tougher and pulled more **** after the whistle after that hit than before, IMO. Basically **** hit the fan for us there. In terms of actual play, they looked more determined. They were giving up on a lot of plays when things weren't going their way before that, but they got a few bounces and I think they felt better as a team at the end of that game than before it - understandably, of course.
losing Hamhuis changed the series more. but losing shutdown pairings best guy and your 3rd pairing best guy is hard to overcome.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:30 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
You mean in Games 1 and 2? How exactly? Though they are human after all, I guess... I do recall a few of them bailing on the puck when guys like Torres were bearing down on them, but once the arena changed it was a different story.

Honestly I don't think they are as tough as everyone thinks. Sure they have a lot of fighters but at the end of the day toughness is only valuable if you can intimidate the other team into straying from their game plan. For them I feel it's a tool to distract the opposition from playing the way they want, and last year it worked on us. Detroit doesn't get fazed by it, for one. They just refocus and play harder than ever. Whereas we unravelled by taking part in those scrums, needlessly wasting energy and undoing everything we'd been trying to work for all year.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:46 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 1512
Quote:
Sucks for Anaheim, they'll have to try and shutdown Corey Perry.

PG Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:44 PM
mooseantlers

I don't think it's a matter of seeding, it's a matter of how much travel there is and what teams we match up against. But I'd say at the rate things are going right now we have to be 1st or 2nd to get those match ups.

mooseantlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:01 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
You mean in Games 1 and 2? How exactly? Though they are human after all, I guess... I do recall a few of them bailing on the puck when guys like Torres were bearing down on them, but once the arena changed it was a different story.

Honestly I don't think they are as tough as everyone thinks. Sure they have a lot of fighters but at the end of the day toughness is only valuable if you can intimidate the other team into straying from their game plan. For them I feel it's a tool to distract the opposition from playing the way they want, and last year it worked on us. Detroit doesn't get fazed by it, for one. They just refocus and play harder than ever. Whereas we unravelled by taking part in those scrums, needlessly wasting energy and undoing everything we'd been trying to work for all year.
It just seemed they were forcing some plays that weren't there and giving up when they didn't work. That was more-so game 1 though.

I agree we did unravel. We didn't do anything that got us to the SCF.