Old
02-01-2012, 10:18 PM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLaDOS View Post
What age did Timonen become an NHL regular
24. But hey, age has nothing to do with it and we have a "great" prospect coming in at 30!

Have any of the fanboys who study the game so closely bother to do any research on Kolanos? This guy is the AHL's answer to Brent "the suitcase" Ashton. Since the lockout this guy has played for a dozen teams. Kolanos was so good he wasn't even in the game last season. But he should still be considered a prospect.

I don't know who is more desperate? The Flames for hoping a career minor leaguer will kick start the offense or some Flames fans for buying the line that a guy in his 30's is still a prospect.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:31 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
24. But hey, age has nothing to do with it and we have a "great" prospect coming in at 30!

Have any of the fanboys who study the game so closely bother to do any research on Kolanos? This guy is the AHL's answer to Brent "the suitcase" Ashton. Since the lockout this guy has played for a dozen teams. Kolanos was so good he wasn't even in the game last season. But he should still be considered a prospect.

I don't know who is more desperate? The Flames for hoping a career minor leaguer will kick start the offense or some Flames fans for buying the line that a guy in his 30's is still a prospect.
Lol I've never seen anyone call him a prospect. And no one is expecting him to kick start anything. Just a solid AHL player who can be a callup in the future. No one deserves a shot more than him in Abby. Grasping at straws now buddy, your act is getting old.. Thanks for coming out though

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:42 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 145
Quote:

He isn't a prospect he is however a guy who busted his ass for a year the ahl to prove he can still that play. When we bring prospects up you ***** that they are on the 4th line Feaster signs a guy who gives it his all and will gladly play on the 4th line and you ***** some more? Have you seen him play on the Heat night in night out he gives 110% and is usually the best player on the ice he deserves a shot to see if he can make it.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:44 PM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
Lol I've never seen anyone call him a prospect. And no one is expecting him to kick start anything. Just a solid AHL player who can be a callup in the future. No one deserves a shot more than him in Abby. Grasping at straws now buddy, your act is getting old.. Thanks for coming out though
Exactly, no one has used the term "prospect" in describing Kolanos. Lets call this what it is, the Flames basically gave the guy a tryout with an outside shot at a 2-way contract, and he earned it, good on him!

There is nothing desperate about this, no one in the Flames organization is claiming this guy is going to be the messiah. He is a depth guy for the Heat who has performed very well this season to date, and he is a guy that can be called up that may be able to provide some offence for a team that is lacking it.

I think the Lundmark comparasion is a good one, and I'd be more than happy with that. In Lundmark's last stint the Flames, he played an effective role when he was called up and provided a spark for the team. Eventually, after his play levelled off he was returned to the AHL. I expect Kolanos to have a similar role with the Flames and expect nothing more of him.

The kids have not been producing lately so the right call was made and they were returned to the Heat. I am sure they will be the next callups (as they should) when their offence gets going again.

MVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:55 PM
BurnEmUp

Quote:
Well this "fanboy" has researched Kolanos enough to know that he wasn't in the game last year because he took a year off to have hip surgery and properly rehab. It had nothing to do with him not being any good.

Did you know that he had two major concussions? Both early in his career and it set him back considerably.

Says something to me about a guys heart and determination when he comes back from all of that and puts up well over a point per game in the second best professional league in North America.

He went to the Heat's camp without any contract whatsoever and EARNED a PTO.

Then he played for the Heat and EARNED an AHL contract when his PTO ran out.

Then he continued to play for the Heat, did everything the organization asked of him and EARNED a two way NHL contract.

He's also EARNED a call-up to play for his hometown Calgary Flames.

.......and even if it only lasts for a few days at least he came back from tremendous adversity and worked his way back up the ladder to a legitimate NHL call-up, when probably no one but he himself thought it was possible.

BurnEmUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:

the only thing that's pathetic is posters that crap on everything the team does, even the smallest move that everyone acknowledges was done as a reward and earned by the player and will likely not have a significant impact.

Tim Thomas became a full time NHLer at 31, now before you twist things no one is saying he will be anything special, but Thomas is proof that older players can mature and become solid NHL players once they get older.

Kolanos also missed all of last season with an injury, so that extra rest may have helped him with the health problems that kept him from realizing his potential. He's having his best pro season at 30 and that's not a coincidence.

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:04 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
This guy is going to surprise some of you, he has plenty of talent and has had a string of unfortunate injuries that have kept him from playing in the bigs.

He isn't a savior but he is a piece with some value and when he gets his chance I think people may be pleasantly surprised with him.

InfinityIggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnEmUp View Post
Well this "fanboy" has researched Kolanos enough to know that he wasn't in the game last year because he took a year off to have hip surgery and properly rehab. It had nothing to do with him not being any good.

Did you know that he had two major concussions? Both early in his career and it set him back considerably.

Says something to me about a guys heart and determination when he comes back from all of that and puts up well over a point per game in the second best professional league in North America.

He went to the Heat's camp without any contract whatsoever and EARNED a PTO.

Then he played for the Heat and EARNED an AHL contract when his PTO ran out.

Then he continued to play for the Heat, did everything the organization asked of him and EARNED a two way NHL contract.

He's also EARNED a call-up to play for his hometown Calgary Flames.

.......and even if it only lasts for a few days at least he came back from tremendous adversity and worked his way back up the ladder to a legitimate NHL call-up, when probably no one but he himself thought it was possible.
fantastic post

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Xelstyle

Keypoints:

- Brought in as a "temporary" spark (Lundmark comparison is apt)
- Earned a spot on the big club

Nonfactors:

-----------------------

Given the fact that this team is also littered with players who have basically come out of nowhere (Smith, Brodie, Giordano, Blair to an extent) despite the lack of success in their history, they're playing well for this team right now.
Don't think we can really dump all over a player when he hasn't had a chance with our club.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:27 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Keypoints:

- Brought in as a "temporary" spark (Lundmark comparison is apt)
- Earned a spot on the big club

Nonfactors:

-----------------------

Given the fact that this team is also littered with players who have basically come out of nowhere (Smith, Brodie, Giordano, Blair to an extent) despite the lack of success in their history, they're playing well for this team right now.
Don't think we can really dump all over a player when he hasn't had a chance with our club.
I like it! I know a few posters ate the crow on Brodie already, and personally, I've eaten the crow on Giordano. But boy am I glad that my assessment on Giordano was wrong and Dutter saw something in Gio that I didn't.

This, along with all the other posters who are in favour of this move, is exactly the kind of activity a Flames fan could use during trying times. Those glass half full comments that keep giving us hope that we were born cheering for the right team lol.

Last edited by MarkGio: 02-01-2012 at 11:54 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:55 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

If Kolanos plays well I'd expect one or both of Jackman and Kostopoulos to be moved by the deadline.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:18 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
If Kolanos plays well I'd expect one or both of Jackman and Kostopoulos to be moved by the deadline.
Thats a good point, I think Kosto is the more likely candidate.

Jackman-Jones-Kolanos might be a fun line to watch.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:22 AM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
What impact exactly would the play of Kolanos have on Jackman or Kostopoulos?

I highly doubt he plays fourth line minutes, and is not being brought in on his ability to throw the body and be sound defensively.

If anything you would see Moss or Stempniak moved if healthy.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
Thats a good point, I think Kosto is the more likely candidate.

Jackman-Jones-Kolanos might be a fun line to watch.
Interesting conundrum. Both are on pace for roughly the same amount of points but Jackman's more a spark plug and fights more. Jackman's probably worth more to the Flames playoff push but he'd also garner more in a deadline trade. Of course, I'd prefer to see both go and Byron called up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
What impact exactly would the play of Kolanos have on Jackman or Kostopoulos?

I highly doubt he plays fourth line minutes, and is not being brought in on his ability to throw the body and be sound defensively.

If anything you would see Moss or Stempniak moved if healthy.
Assuming he plays well enough to stick, there will too many bodies in the line up - somebody's got to go. As Stempniak and Moss contribute more offensively, it's less likely to see them shipped if Feaster is in fact thinking this team can still make the playoffs. Personally though, the more shipped out the better.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:58 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Kolanos is an old, one-way-playing bust of a player. He worked hard. Yeah, worked so hard that his coach barred him from the arena not so long ago and sent him home to think about his future. There is a disconnect between Abbotsford and Calgary. I wonder wtf Feaster is doing.

You want to know how bad of shape this team is in? They've been reliant on this type of player to prop up the minor league team and now going to try it with the major league team. You want to know how desperate the fanbase is? They believe this clown has a hope of doing anything! This is a complete embarrassment. The joke around the NHL is Calgary is the place players go to get one last shot. That joke will now extend to the minor league system. And the fans still think its great! None of you should ever say anything bad about the Oilers fans and the amount of crap they swallow from their management team. Feaster is shoveling worse **** down your throats and telling you its caviar. Wake up! This team is in such a nose dive it will be impossible to pull up. If Harley Hotchkiss could see what is going on with his hockey club.

Old
02-02-2012, 07:51 AM
berto14

Quote:
Kolanos is an old, one-way-playing bust of a player. He worked hard. Yeah, worked so hard that his coach barred him from the arena not so long ago and sent him home to think about his future. There is a disconnect between Abbotsford and Calgary. I wonder wtf Feaster is doing.

You want to know how bad of shape this team is in? They've been reliant on this type of player to prop up the minor league team and now going to try it with the major league team. You want to know how desperate the fanbase is? They believe this clown has a hope of doing anything! This is a complete embarrassment. The joke around the NHL is Calgary is the place players go to get one last shot. That joke will now extend to the minor league system. And the fans still think its great! None of you should ever say anything bad about the Oilers fans and the amount of crap they swallow from their management team. Feaster is shoveling worse **** down your throats and telling you its caviar. Wake up! This team is in such a nose dive it will be impossible to pull up. If Harley Hotchkiss could see what is going on with his hockey club.
So why are you here again? This is a place for Flames fans and you clearly aren't one.

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:07 AM
Gary83*

Quote:

Matthew Barnaby.. is that you?

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:16 AM
Banner

Quote:

Every single move that happens you do your absolute best to find every single negative thing about it, then make some huge post about how Feaster sucks.

Change your username because you belong in CP, where everyone overreacts like a dramatic b****.

Banner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:50 AM
MVW

Quote:

You know you have been really reaching with your arguments lately and you are losing respectibility on here. Almost all of your posts seem to be desperate attempts just to prove to a point and they do not really hold alot of weight.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:06 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
You know you have been really reaching with your arguments lately and you are losing respectibility on here. Almost all of your posts seem to be desperate attempts just to prove to a point and they do not really hold alot of weight.
Reaching? Pointing out that signing a career minor leaguer to a contract and calling him up to help out the offense is reaching? No, signing a career minor leaguer and calling him up to help out the offense is reaching. That is a desperate act by a desperate team.

Also, a very dumb move, since this is the time of year when you want to have a contact or two available for trading purposes at the deadline. Kolanos is our 50th contract. Any hopes of an imbalanced trade just went out the window, which limits the moves the GM can make. At a time when the team should be looking to make some 2-for-1 deals, this was just not a smart move.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:11 AM
DBU
Bruinwagoner

Quote:

Is this serious? Like really, are you serious or are you a Debbie Downer about everything in life? Jesus. All you do is preach negativity, AND THEN, when you DO talk positive about the team, you jump all over people who are negative. You consistently have to be the other side of the coin, and it's getting really old.

If you don't like the way the team is being run, you are under no obligation to watch.

And I would rather go through this type of rebuild ten times out of ten before going the route of the Oilers. Third straight 1st overall pick... that must be fun to watch. (and I know it's not, because Oilers fans on HF have even said they would prefer to be competitive)

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Ice Cream Man
Size? lol

Quote:
Reaching? Pointing out that signing a career minor leaguer to a contract and calling him up to help out the offense is reaching? No, signing a career minor leaguer and calling him up to help out the offense is reaching. That is a desperate act by a desperate team.
You are seriously becoming delusional. No one is expecting Kolanos to step in and take over the offense; he's being brought in to provide support. In case you haven't noticed, which you probably haven't, Kolanos is putting up impressive numbers in the AHL. Calgary is not clicking offensively like they should be.

Plus, I'm not even sure you've seen Kolanos play. Just because he's in the AHL doesn't mean he doesn't have the skill. Krys has more offensive talent and flair than many already on the Flames roster. Some of the stuff he knows, you can't teach. He's a natural talent with the puck when he's in the opponent's zone.

No one is reaching here, exepct possibly you reaching for straws in an argument you simply are not winning.

Quote:
Also, a very dumb move, since this is the time of year when you want to have a contact or two available for trading purposes at the deadline. Kolanos is our 50th contract. Any hopes of an imbalanced trade just went out the window, which limits the moves the GM can make. At a time when the team should be looking to make some 2-for-1 deals, this was just not a smart move.
Feaster can still do 2-for-1, 1-for-1 or 1-for-0 deals right until the deadline. Quit being a drama queen.

Ice Cream Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:33 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

Quote:

Get out of here Eric Francis.

Old
02-02-2012, 10:35 AM
MVW

Quote:

Give it a break already! Stop making this signing of larger significance than it really is. This was a good move for the Flames and you are making it sound like the Flames acquired Gomez or something. There was nothing "desperate" about this signing. The Phaneuf trade and sending Jokinen to NYR are examples of desperate moves. Your point about the 50 contract limit is irrelevant to me because you are acting like this handcuffs Feaster and it does not in anyway. He has LOTS of moveable assets (ie. Moss, Stempniak, Jackman, Kosto, Hannan, Sarich etc.). Yes you are reaching and I am not the only one on this board who thinks so. So go ahead and make another elaborate argument to say otherwise which just comes across as blah, blah, blah.

Where's MarkGio, perhaps another guitar lesson is in order.

Last edited by MVW: 02-02-2012 at 12:14 PM.
Old
02-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Northern Heat

Quote:
Kolanos is our 50th contract. Any hopes of an imbalanced trade just went out the window
Riiiiight.....This is obviously impossible to change.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote