HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Replay is on the table and other notes from the ASG

Old
02-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

vCash: 500
Replay is on the table and other notes from the ASG

Found this article out of WBS. It will be a topic of discussion at the Board of Governors meeting in May and will be voted upon, but as always, the biggest argument against will be cost.

Other comments from the league commissioner...

Quote:
Andrews said he expects no franchise movement and perhaps no affiliation changes after this season. He said that would be just the second time in his 18-year tenure with no such changes in an offseason.

A two-ref system will be in place for 35 percent of regular-season games and all playoff games this season. Andrews said he expects that figure to reach 100 percent within five years. "The reason we aren't getting there quicker is because there aren't enough qualified referees out there as yet. Our fans would argue there aren't enough quality referees in the league now," he joked.
At least he has a sense of humor on the second point. To be fair, I think the reffing in the AHL has gotten better in the last couple years (or maybe I am just getting too old to yell at them ).

While there may not be franchise movement, there could be affiliation changes. It sounds like Tampa Bay is shopping around..

Quote:
[Joe] Gregory [Norfolk GM] is at a meeting of the AHL Board of Governors, in search of a possible replacement for the Admirals' affiliation with Tampa Bay.

"We'll know more about (what might be available) after the meeting," Gregory said.

For now, it's window shopping. The Admirals are in their final season of a five-year working agreement with Tampa Bay, and nothing is assured about a sixth year. Though Lightning vice president Steve Yzerman, in Norfolk over the weekend, lauded the relationship between Tampa Bay and the Admirals, he added that "we've looked into some other options" about the future.

...But geography also plays a role, and the Lightning's other options would entail shorter trips to their opponents, most of whom are in the Northeast.
Link

Last edited by Majik1987: 02-01-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Tommy Hawk

Three out and out lies found:

1) "I would say probably 70 percent of disputed goals in our league would not be reviewable anyway because they're official's judgment on goalie interference and high-sticking and stuff like that that video review isn't going to help you with," he said. "The video review that we will have, I would be very surprised if it goes beyond whether the puck crossed the line or not and the timing factor, did it cross in time."

NHL video relay does address these things so is he only thinking replay would be for if a puck crossed the line or not?

2) Affiliation changes/team movements - Already refuted by the link provided for TB

3) The 76-game schedule will remain in place. Andrews said the elimination of stretches of four games in five days has "reduced stress on our players."

They didn't eliminate the stretches of 4 games in 5 days.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Hawk View Post
Three out and out lies found:

1) "I would say probably 70 percent of disputed goals in our league would not be reviewable anyway because they're official's judgment on goalie interference and high-sticking and stuff like that that video review isn't going to help you with," he said. "The video review that we will have, I would be very surprised if it goes beyond whether the puck crossed the line or not and the timing factor, did it cross in time."

NHL video relay does address these things so is he only thinking replay would be for if a puck crossed the line or not?

2) Affiliation changes/team movements - Already refuted by the link provided for TB
Andrews said he expects no franchise movement and perhaps no affiliation changes after this season. He said that would be just the second time in his 18-year tenure with no such changes in an offseason.
Though they are "shopping around", an affiliate change isn't etched in stone yet.

3) The 76-game schedule will remain in place. Andrews said the elimination of stretches of four games in five days has "reduced stress on our players."

They didn't eliminate the stretches of 4 games in 5 days.
Curious - who is playing 4 in 5? I know the Bears have eliminated it from their schedule and most fans I've talked to say the same for their teams.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:18 AM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

I don't know how credible it was/is but last Saturday on the BSens fan page on Crackbook I saw a post by a fan that said he was hearing that Bingo was on its way out. All I do know is that the affiliation with Ottawa is up after this season.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Tommy Hawk

Maybe they did eliminate the 4 in 5s (I am not going to look through all the vaious teams' schedules) but I know there are a crapload of 3 in 3, 4 in 6 and 6 in 10 and boatloads of 1 in 7 etc. but how do you count a tuesday morning game? The schedule is still a complete joke. The reduction of the games did not eliminate the 4 in 5s, they just moved games fro Wednesday to Tuesday. Also why would you schedule games the night before the All Star break starts?

Old
02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Maybe they did eliminate the 4 in 5s (I am not going to look through all the vaious teams' schedules) but I know there are a crapload of 3 in 3, 4 in 6 and 6 in 10 and boatloads of 1 in 7 etc. but how do you count a tuesday morning game? The schedule is still a complete joke. The reduction of the games did not eliminate the 4 in 5s, they just moved games fro Wednesday to Tuesday. Also why would you schedule games the night before the All Star break starts?
Because they aren't going to give up a Saturday night.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:37 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
You realize you essentially contradicted yourself there, right?

They did eliminate 4-in-5's, unless you can point to a team playing a set. The whole point of the reduction was to eliminate 4-in-5's. Moving games to Tuesday is irrelevant. To my knowledge, no team is playing 4 games in 5 nights at any point this season.

The 3-in-3's were never going anywhere - weekends, as pelts points out, are where the money is.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:18 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post

They did eliminate 4-in-5's, unless you can point to a team playing a set. The whole point of the reduction was to eliminate 4-in-5's. Moving games to Tuesday is irrelevant. To my knowledge, no team is playing 4 games in 5 nights at any point this season.

The 3-in-3's were never going anywhere - weekends, as pelts points out, are where the money is.
Sunday isn't where the money is. A Sunday game is like a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
axecrew

Actually isn't lipservice the real thing on the board? Didn't andrews say basically the same thing last year in his state of league adress about replay?

axecrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post

I am not going to look at every single teams schedule. And even if they did, explain how 6 in 10 or 8 in 11 is any different than 4 in 5?

And if Friday and Saturday games are just so darn popular, then why aren't ALL teams playing those nights? Why were there only 2 Friday/Saturdays where all teams are playing? And the average looks to be only about 22-24 teams playing on any one of those days. So, basically, the schedule is still crud and his highness is hanging his hat on eliminating 4 in 5s but not the ridiculousness of the schedule.

Old
02-02-2012, 04:22 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
Sunday isn't where the money is. A Sunday game is like a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.
Not true. Often Sunday games are earlier in the day and they draw better than midweek games.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Not true. Often Sunday games are earlier in the day and they draw better than midweek games.
True but why have teams that play Friday then off saturday and sunday? Or play Friday and Sunday? I could understand if the 3 in 3 were F,S,S but why have 3 in 4 of Sat,Sun,Tues instead of F,S,S?

Schedule is just crud and it will never get better. And what is the use of having a noon game Sunday when you had to travel 6 hours by bus after a saturday night game?

I have heard from several players that the western conference travel is easier than the eastern for just that reason. They got a whopping 3 hours sleep in their own bed where if they were in the west they would get a full night in a hotel and then fly the next day.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:13 PM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
I don't know how credible it was/is but last Saturday on the BSens fan page on Crackbook I saw a post by a fan that said he was hearing that Bingo was on its way out. All I do know is that the affiliation with Ottawa is up after this season.
I have only heard this once and from somebody who thinks Ottawa owns the team and has a plan to move it. The only real discussion
out there seems to be whether Binghamton is with Ottawa or someone else next year.

Captain Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:20 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
I am not going to look at every single teams schedule. And even if they did, explain how 6 in 10 or 8 in 11 is any different than 4 in 5?

I'm no bigger fan of Andrews than you are, and he knows it first hand. However, if you can't prove that he lied, you shouldn't use the term "out and out lies". As to your numbers, 6 games in 10 days can be done without a 4-in-5, and if you've got proof of an 8-in-11 that includes the 4-in-5, you win. Just point it out. You must have that one handy or you wouldn't have brought it up.

And if Friday and Saturday games are just so darn popular, then why aren't ALL teams playing those nights? Why were there only 2 Friday/Saturdays where all teams are playing? And the average looks to be only about 22-24 teams playing on any one of those days. So, basically, the schedule is still crud and his highness is hanging his hat on eliminating 4 in 5s but not the ridiculousness of the schedule.

Eliminating the 4-in-5's was the idea of NHL GM's, IIRC, and just to be clear, nowhere in your initial post did you mention him saying anything about the schedule being wonderful.

As to weekend vs. weeknight scheduling, there are any number of reasons why not every team playes every single date on a weekend. Arena availability, outside competition, locations of different teams on different nights, etc. Ask virtually every AHL GM and he'll tell you attendance numbers are almost always better on weekends than weeknights.

Just a side note - the idea that the schedule could be worlds better is something you and I agree on. Where we part ways is in the blame department. The schedule would be more balanced if the owners would do something about it. Andrews isn't the guy who'd be footing the bill, as many of the owners have pointed out to him.

Old
02-02-2012, 11:40 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Esoteric View Post
I have only heard this once and from somebody who thinks Ottawa owns the team and has a plan to move it. The only real discussion
out there seems to be whether Binghamton is with Ottawa or someone else next year.
Perhaps, howerver someone would have to be willing to house their prospects there. Unless Bingo intends to go independent under a different nickname.

Not that affiliation agreements cant be broken but I don't think any of the local area NHL teams have affiliations running out anytime soon.

Old
02-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Captain Esoteric

Quote:
Perhaps, howerver someone would have to be willing to house their prospects there. Unless Bingo intends to go independent under a different nickname.

Not that affiliation agreements cant be broken but I don't think any of the local area NHL teams have affiliations running out anytime soon.
I do not see Binghamton going independent since they would most likely end up with someone else in an affiliation shuffle...even if it was short term. But you are right about ideal affiliates not being available...which is why they are likely renewing with Ottawa for the time being.

Captain Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:51 AM

No AHL team is playing 4-in-5s this season...they were eliminated at the request of the NHL clubs.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:46 PM
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Maybe after the first weekend of February when Football is done.

Old
02-04-2012, 07:48 PM
adsfan

Quote:
Maybe after the first weekend of February when Football is done.
This is true of Sunday games in Milwaukee. The Packers can draw a 65 share on Milwaukee TV. That is 2/3 of all TVs in the market that are on during the game. There is no way to compete with that. The Daytona 500 also drains fans from the Admirals, yet they schedule a home game against it 75% of the time in the last 20 years. There are a lot of auto racing fans in Milwaukee because of The Mile.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote