HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Steve Mason's future

Old
02-02-2012, 12:05 PM
blahblah

vCash: 500
Wild Thing Mason... I'm sure his vision has been checked out a few billion times, it would be a major failure to discover something that minor.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:08 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Wild Thing Mason... I'm sure his vision has been checked out a few billion times, it would be a major failure to discover something that minor.
Common sense would lead you to think they would check vision thoroughly...but then again, I would think flu shots would be mandatory. I've learned to not trust the Jackets to take care of details.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:12 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
Common sense would lead you to think they would check vision thoroughly...but then again, I would think flu shots would be mandatory. I've learned to not trust the Jackets to take care of details.
Flu shots? I don't take em, don't get the flu.

The beauty of flu shots, if you think they even work as intended (more than one it put my father with COPD in the hospital) is they may or may not effective on the strain that is going around.

OMG derail! I'm sure they offer up the Flu shots and most probably partake.

I get your point, however.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:16 PM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Flu shots? I don't take em, don't get the flu.

The beauty of flu shots, if you think they even work as intended (more than one it put my father with COPD in the hospital) is they may or may not effective on the strain that is going around.

OMG derail! I'm sure they offer up the Flu shots and most probably partake.

I get your point, however.
LOL I think I've only had one that I can actually credit for keeping me from getting the flu. I don't take them half the time either but my job doesn't give me a fan base that counts on me playing every game either.

Sorry about your Dad.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:37 AM
anteater90

Send him to the minors!

anteater90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by anteater90 View Post
Send him to the minors!
wearing these pads

Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legs View Post
wearing these pads

Those are big pads!!!

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 09:47 PM
Legs

Custom made, don't cha know!

Legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:05 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
wearing these pads

Funny you should post that, because starting tomorrow night Mason will be wearing new pads that are the biggest the NHL will let him wear.

@smitchcd #CBJ G Steve Mason will use new, bigger pads on Saturday vs #mnwild. Just got them on Tuesday.

@smitchcd #CBJ G Steve Mason was permitted to wear bigger pads under the newest NHL rules but previously preferred not to do so.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2012, 10:52 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
And San Jose cast-off Ed Belfour, and journeyman back-up Robert Eshe, and currently Brian Elliott.

I think Columbus will probably hang onto Steve Mason. The goaltender trade market isn't good, and the only upcoming UFA goalies that have had even a little NHL success are old as dirt (Evgeni Nabokov, Martin Biron, Johan Hedberg, Chris Mason).

If they do choose to move Mason, I'm sure they'll find a suitor. If the New Jersey Devils could win 25 games with Scott Clemmensen a few years ago and can still win with 40-year-old Martin Brodeur, Steve Mason seems like a decent gamble on their part.
Now that would certainly be Voracek 2.0. We send Voracek off to play with his childhood idol in Jagr, and then send Mason off to play with his childhood idol in Brodeur.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
Howson was on the NHL network show at 5:30 yesterday and EJ Hradek asked him about Mason and Howson says something along the lines of "We still believe Mason can become a great goalie for us" and I think EJ had to stifle a laugh after that
There's a very short list of responses that are acceptable to that question. Publicly defending a player, no matter how absurd it may sound to anyone (including the person making the statement), is necessary for a variety of reasons.

I don't read anything into this, and soon enough we'll all see why.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:17 AM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
True, there are many factors that have contributed to this horrible season and this is probably the most significant, Howson miss judged Mason in epic proportions...
Portzline was borderline prophetic when he said before the season that the fortunes of Scott Howson and Steve Mason were basically intertwined.

Mason's problem has been the opposite of what Jim Carey used to suffer from. Carey used to be so late reading the play in front of him that it hampered his lateral movement, so he got absolutely lit up by one-timers. He never was able to correct that flaw, and was out of the league in a few years.

Mason has the opposite problem. He's in such a damned hurry to get across the ice that he leaves the shortside post wide open. And if there's a cross-ice feed, he's all over it, but if there's a rebound he's out of position and can't compensate. If the pass doesn't quite get there, he's still ready to smother the shot even as it's going into the net in exactly the spot that he just vacated. He does a poor job of actually picking up the puck in flight, and his positioning is shot to hell.

There's only one way that Mason can be an effective NHL goalie. He needs a defense that keeps the extended slot area clear, leaving only perimeter shots. His performance during the 2008-09 season wasn't based off of teams not having a book on him, but because Klesla, Hejda, Tyutin, and Commodore did a very good job of keeping shots to the perimeter and also clearing rebounds themselves. As Commodore and Hejda became less effective, Mason's flaws became more evident.

Old
02-11-2012, 02:27 AM
FANonymous

On the plus side, Jim Carey did go on to have a pretty good run as a movie star...

FANonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 05:44 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Portzline was borderline prophetic when he said before the season that the fortunes of Scott Howson and Steve Mason were basically intertwined.

Mason's problem has been the opposite of what Jim Carey used to suffer from. Carey used to be so late reading the play in front of him that it hampered his lateral movement, so he got absolutely lit up by one-timers. He never was able to correct that flaw, and was out of the league in a few years.

Mason has the opposite problem. He's in such a damned hurry to get across the ice that he leaves the shortside post wide open. And if there's a cross-ice feed, he's all over it, but if there's a rebound he's out of position and can't compensate. If the pass doesn't quite get there, he's still ready to smother the shot even as it's going into the net in exactly the spot that he just vacated. He does a poor job of actually picking up the puck in flight, and his positioning is shot to hell.

There's only one way that Mason can be an effective NHL goalie. He needs a defense that keeps the extended slot area clear, leaving only perimeter shots. His performance during the 2008-09 season wasn't based off of teams not having a book on him, but because Klesla, Hejda, Tyutin, and Commodore did a very good job of keeping shots to the perimeter and also clearing rebounds themselves. As Commodore and Hejda became less effective, Mason's flaws became more evident.
Yeah, I liked to say everyone played goalie in that Calder year, and that's a phrase I have heard media folks use for other teams at times so I didn't author the comment... it does happen.

Old
02-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

While it would be great to get Rask or Schneider, I think it could be difficult to land them. I actually think Vancouver and Boston may be more interested in trying to move Luongo and Thomas in the off-season.

With Thomas' recent 'controversies', coupled with Rask getting more vocal about becoming the starter (http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/...ants-play-more), I've started thinking that Thomas would be a decent option.

Thomas has one more year left - the salary is $3 million but the cap hit is $5 million. Mason has one more year at 3.2 m but the cap hit is 2.9 m. What would we have to add to swing a Mason-Thomas trade in the summer?

With Boston's defense, Mason could rebound to be a reasonable back-up for them. They squash the #1 argument between Rask and Thomas, handing the reins to Rask. Thomas would get another year to carry a team as #1 (Sandford would be back-up) and be a veteran on a young team.

Columbus buys another year to figure out their long-term goalie situation, perhaps picking up a decent future one with the 2nd round pick this year.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
While it would be great to get Rask or Schneider, I think it could be difficult to land them. I actually think Vancouver and Boston may be more interested in trying to move Luongo and Thomas in the off-season.

With Thomas' recent 'controversies', coupled with Rask getting more vocal about becoming the starter (http://espn.go.com/boston/nhl/story/...ants-play-more), I've started thinking that Thomas would be a decent option.

Thomas has one more year left - the salary is $3 million but the cap hit is $5 million. Mason has one more year at 3.2 m but the cap hit is 2.9 m. What would we have to add to swing a Mason-Thomas trade in the summer?

With Boston's defense, Mason could rebound to be a reasonable back-up for them. They squash the #1 argument between Rask and Thomas, handing the reins to Rask. Thomas would get another year to carry a team as #1 (Sandford would be back-up) and be a veteran on a young team.

Columbus buys another year to figure out their long-term goalie situation, perhaps picking up a decent future one with the 2nd round pick this year.
Interesting, thing is, if Thomas was traded here he might look for the place on the shore Carter used when he found out he was traded here...

Old
02-11-2012, 08:25 AM
Nanabijou
Playoffs back at Nat

Quote:
Interesting, thing is, if Thomas was traded here he might look for the place on the shore Carter used when he found out he was traded here...
You know, I don't think so. I think Dreger reported earlier (can't find link) that Bruins weren't going to trade Rask as they consider him their goalie as the future.

Thomas has a Stanley Cup, a Vezina and a Conn Smythe. If they make it clear that Rask is the #1 next year, I think he'd rather go someplace where he's #1 rather than take another Cup run as back-up (as may be the case in this year's playoffs).

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 2000
Quote:
wearing these pads

Even these pads are not big enough

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 10:51 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Glover View Post
Even these pads are not big enough
All joking aside, who else wears pads this size?

Old
02-11-2012, 10:58 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJCougar View Post
All joking aside, who else wears pads this size?
It's a photoshop...

Old
02-11-2012, 11:02 AM
CBJCougar

Quote:
It's a photoshop...
Oh!!! Bwhahahahahaaa!! Ok, well....I'll just go find something else to get into.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:26 PM
GScott

Won't those pads get in his way running the register at the Citgo

GScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScott View Post
Won't those pads get in his way running the register at the Citgo
Can't work the register at Citgo. Someone would hand over their cash and it would sail over his shoulder.

Old
02-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
They certainly won't get in the way of the puck coming at him.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
Next week we will find out that he's going to play with zambonis strapped to his feet.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote