HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Tomáš Hyka (returned to his junior club, Gatineau, Sept. 22)

Old
02-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

vCash: 500
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...Hyka-hype.html

Quote:
Tomas Hyka, RW – Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL)
Things happen really quickly when you’re a teenager. Just ask Hyka, who went into his final game of the world juniors as the third-leading scorer on the Gats, but left as No. 1 when Mathieu Gagnon and Christian Ouellet were traded to Chicoutimi.

“Wow,” Hyka said after the Czechs’ win over rival Slovakia. “I think we have a really young team, so we have great opportunities. We have Jean-Gabriel Pageau, who is an Ottawa pick.”

Well, actually, Pageau was traded two days later to Chicoutimi as well. But that’s OK. Hyka has carried on and posted two three-point games in four matches since returning from Calgary, where the Czechs overachieved thanks in large part to netminder Petr Mrazek, a friend of Hyka’s who plays just over the provincial line in Ottawa.

“I felt really good at my first world juniors,” Hyka said. “I hope it will be even better next year.”

Gatineau has also been friendly thanks to the presence of another countryman who knows the lay of the land.

“I like it. So much better than the Czech Republic,” he said. “I have more opportunities, I play with Adam Janosik, who is in his third year, so he helps me. It’s great.”

But Hyka’s best opportunity came in the fall, when the Philadelphia Flyers invited him to camp and the young winger played well enough to warrant a spot on a line with Scott Hartnell and Claude Giroux. Unfortunately for the Flyers, CBA rules stated they could not sign him as a free agent since he’s European and still draft eligible. Will they get lucky this summer? Draft eligible in 2012 (undrafted in 2011).
http://thehockeywriters.com/world-ju...t-2-overagers/

Quote:
4. Tomas Hyka: Forward, Czech Republic

While he didn’t necessarily have a stand-out World Juniors per se, Hyka is on the radar of many NHL scouts. Hyka was involved in some offseason hockey intrigue as the Flyers seemingly mistakenly thought they could simply sign him as a free agent after a strong training camp rather than drafting him.

Broad Street Hockey reported in September, 2011:

Flyers knew Hyka was on the board in the seventh round of the 2011 draft, they thought about drafting him, and then decided to take big goon Derek Mathers instead.

Draft Stock: Unchanged

Projected Round Drafted: 4th to 7th round

Statistics (Up-to-date):

Season Team League GP G A TP PIM Playoffs GP G A TP PIM
2007-2008 BK Mlada Boleslav U18 Czech U18 20 0 2 2 2 | Playoffs 1 0 0 0 0
2008-2009 BK Mlada Boleslav U18 Czech U18 42 28 21 49 18 | Playoffs 2 1 0 1 2
Czech Republic U16 (all) International-Jr 11 4 2 6 10 |
2009-2010 BK Mlada Boleslav U18 Czech U18 46 34 24 58 46 | Playoffs 2 1 1 2 0
BK Mlada Boleslav U20 Czech U20 2 0 1 1 0 |
Czech Republic U17 WHC-17 5 1 0 1 2 |
Czech Republic U17 (all) International-Jr 9 2 0 2 2 |
2010-2011 BK Mlada Boleslav U18 Czech U18 8 3 9 12 6 |
BK Mlada Boleslav U20 Czech U20 38 14 17 31 10 |
BK Mlada Boleslav Czech 13 1 0 1 6 | Relegation 1 0 0 0 0
Czech Republic U18 WJC-18 6 1 1 2 0 |
Czech Republic U18 (all) International-Jr 26 9 5 14 8 |
2011-2012 Gatineau Olympiques QMJHL 40 17 30 47 26 |
Czech Republic U20 WJC-20 5 0 2 2 4 |

Player statistics powered by www.eliteprospects.com

I bet we will loose him. Many people are talking about him. He gets a lot of attention, so someone other than the flyers will take a chance at him!

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:57 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
the fascination from Flyers fans with this Hyka kid is such a joke

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
And why do you care? I like him also. Dont see anything wrong with that. I guess you should say Flyers fans, nhl scouts, and reporters fascination though.

Anyway, he is playing tonight in the top prospects game:

http://www.justin.tv/channel420#/w/2549913312

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Yes because every small move is meaningless..... Like signing unknown free agents:

Gustaffson, Read, Harry Z. Bobrovsky!!!!

got it?

Old
02-01-2012, 10:36 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
No.

Have you looked at his projected draft position?

Late 2nd / early 3rd round pick.

The Flyers took a bum over him last draft. He came into rookie camp and really showed some talent. I was fortunate enough to see him at the rookie game to see him skate in person. He could turn out to be a bust just like any other young player, but he's certainly no "joke."

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
No.

Have you looked at his projected draft position?

Late 2nd / early 3rd round pick.

The Flyers took a bum over him last draft. He came into rookie camp and really showed some talent. I was fortunate enough to see him at the rookie game to see him skate in person. He could turn out to be a bust just like any other young player, but he's certainly no "joke."
This statement annoys me ... there were 29 other teams who didn't draft him, and there were 210 other bums who were selected instead of him. The Flyers weren't able to sign him because the CBA somehow still makes a difference between European and North American players, thats the whole story.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
I must say I agree. I really dont like when people talk about him as if he is ours and if we dont get him int he draft then we blew it. 30 other teams passed on him 7 times, just like we did. We brought him for a visit and he did well. Now he is the prospect that holmgren screwed up on and what not. I really hope the flyers dont even target this kid until atleast the 5th round.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:48 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I must say I agree. I really dont like when people talk about him as if he is ours and if we dont get him int he draft then we blew it. 30 other teams passed on him 7 times, just like we did. We brought him for a visit and he did well. Now he is the prospect that holmgren screwed up on and what not. I really hope the flyers dont even target this kid until atleast the 5th round.
Don't you remember? Homer said he "forgot" about him at the draft. That means he is stupid because he knew about him but drafted other players. Things like this never happen. Teams never think about drafting a player then change their minds. Only the Flyers do stupid things like that. And now we missed out on Wayne Gretzky. I hope they draft him and he sucks, then everyone says how stupid Homer was for drafting him.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Rogalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
The initial confusion probably stemmed from Holmgren misunderstanding being told by Laviolette that he should take a Hyka.

Sorry!
:-) I got what you were going for there...but since so many people are interested in the guy I believe everyone should also know how to pronounce his name properly. So, it´s like saying hiccup and leaving out the p in the end:-) I think that should by easy to memorize:-))

Rogalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:52 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
This statement annoys me ... there were 29 other teams who didn't draft him, and there were 210 other bums who were selected instead of him. The Flyers weren't able to sign him because the CBA somehow still makes a difference between European and North American players, thats the whole story.
Very fair point. I never looked at it from that perspective.

However...

I think the one thing we can say for sure is the Flyers 100% knew about and coveted Hyka. We don't know if the other 29 teams can say that. Perhaps he never made it on their scouts radar. We do know, our scouts liked him, wanted him, and picked the goon over him.

Basically, there is a big difference between passing on someone because you don't know they exist, and passing on someone because you covet somebody else more. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of knowing that information.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:41 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Very fair point. I never looked at it from that perspective.
After the lockout, the NHLPA made it one of their victories that European and North American players are equal, European players draft rights are only kept for two years and if they are older than 20 they are UFAs and don't have to be drafted and so on ... Somehow they forgot about that rule, something to tweak in the next CBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
However...

I think the one thing we can say for sure is the Flyers 100% knew about and coveted Hyka. We don't know if the other 29 teams can say that. Perhaps he never made it on their scouts radar. We do know, our scouts liked him, wanted him, and picked the goon over him.

Basically, there is a big difference between passing on someone because you don't know they exist, and passing on someone because you covet somebody else more. Unfortunately, we don't have the luxury of knowing that information.
True, they should have known that ... and they looked stupid because they mentioned that they want to sign him and couldn't. If they don't say anything about it, he is just another camp body.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Flyrs21

Wow......10 pages on Tomas Hyka. Who would of thought.

Bottom line is, if you are willing to draft a kid in the 3rd or 4th round, then draft him in the 6th, 7th round. But if management doesn't understand the collective bargaining agreement I can understand why they did what they did

You may get lucky, he may be one of these guys Datsyuk (171st 6th round) or Zetterberg ( 210th overall 7th round) or just another Jody Shelley. I hear that Datsyuk guy is pretty good.

Flyrs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:08 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Sigh. I was ready to reply but honestly this has been beaten to death. Some of us like Hyka as a prospect. Honestly? Too ****ing bad. I just hope we draft him. Thats all. Homer made a mistake. Fact. But it happens, oh well. We draft him it will be fine. Some are saying he might go as high as the 2nd round, so if he is there in the 5th, it will be a steal.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:13 AM
Amateur Hour

I hope the Flyers correct their mistake and draft Hyka, as well as his teammate Alexandros Soumakis.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
It doesn't matter what 29 teams did or did not do. The only thing that matters is their own scouts' opinion of him. They had him graded as a 3rd round talent. It's a steal any time you have the opportunity to take a 3rd round talent in the 7th. There shouldn't have been a debate because it is a no brainer. It's a simple failure to choose a player that lacks NHL tools and would have went undrafted over the kid you rated as a 3rd rounder. This puts their decision making into question whether or not Hyka pans out. That's not even mentioning the fact they were completely unaware that they could not sign him under the CBA which is another failure of theirs.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:43 AM
FlyersCup08

Quote:
The fact remains that the Flyers had Hyka on their radar and chose Mathars over him. Homer didn't know the CBA well enough and figured he didn't have to waste a draft pick on lesser-known Hyka, and just sign him if he really impressed in camp, otherwise send him packing (without wasting the draft pick). He (and his team) simply weren't well-read on the CBA. That in and of itself is inexcusable.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:47 AM
kicksave27

Why after the klotz debacle do we still need to draft a designated goon. Do any other teams do this or just us? Hyka might not turn into anything, but it's the principle of it..

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:57 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Why after the klotz debacle do we still need to draft a designated goon. Do any other teams do this or just us? Hyka might not turn into anything, but it's the principle of it..
It is quite clear that with only Shelley and Rinaldo on the fourth line and Sestito on the third, the Flyers need more tough guys!

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
The fact remains that the Flyers had Hyka on their radar and chose Mathars over him. Homer didn't know the CBA well enough and figured he didn't have to waste a draft pick on lesser-known Hyka, and just sign him if he really impressed in camp, otherwise send him packing (without wasting the draft pick). He (and his team) simply weren't well-read on the CBA. That in and of itself is inexcusable.
Bingo. So embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Double bingo.

It doesn't inspire much confidence when those running the show are unaware of the the ****ing rules. That just CANNOT happen. Hell, just put on retainer one of the nerds who posts here and knows the CBA inside and out.

Regardless, something tells me the Flyers are going to rectify the gaffe by drafting Hyka a round or so ahead of where he's projected.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
yeah you are right. we need to draft more guys like Klotz and Mathers. who needs small skill players when you can have size and toughness!

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:55 PM
ORYX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yeah you are right. we need to draft more guys like Klotz and Mathers. who needs small skill players when you can have size and toughness!
I think what he was getting at was that after half a season you'd think posters would have gotten over it by now?

Flyers are one of 30 teams who skipped him, but the only ones dumb enough to screw it up because they don't know the rules.

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amateur Hour View Post

Regardless, something tells me the Flyers are going to rectify the gaffe by drafting Hyka a round or so ahead of where he's projected.
Yes that would be a typical homer. Taking Hyka in the 2nd over a Dman ;D

Old
02-02-2012, 03:42 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
This.

And to anyone else:

They had him on the radar STILL chose to draft a bum.

I could care less if other teams glossed him over. They thought they would be able to pick him up another way, and did not.

Any time your team makes a bad pick because they incorrectly interpret the CBA when said player is a 2nd/3rd round talent that could have been had in the 7th? Be annoyed.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote