HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Koivu (Shoulder, out for at least a month)

Old
01-25-2012, 08:21 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
He should be back early to mid February.

No, he's not getting traded.
He's taken some shots already, so that's good news. Didn't expect him to pick up a stick that soon.

NHL1674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2012, 11:32 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

If he was already being re-evaluated on whether he could participate in the All-Star game or not, I would expect him back sooner rather than later.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:32 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

So with Koivu probably coming off IR on Saturday for the game in Dallas, who do the Wild send down? The three healthy scratches are all on one-ways, and I can't imagine they want to send one of the kids down when the team's been much better with them around.

llamapalooza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:42 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
So with Koivu probably coming off IR on Saturday for the game in Dallas, who do the Wild send down? The three healthy scratches are all on one-ways, and I can't imagine they want to send one of the kids down when the team's been much better with them around.
Rau.

He hasn't been a liability, but when Koivu slots back in, all the centers slide back a space (unless they stick Koivu between Powe and McMillan) so Rau loses his playing spot.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 0
Quote:
Rau.

He hasn't been a liability, but when Koivu slots back in, all the centers slide back a space (unless they stick Koivu between Powe and McMillan) so Rau loses his playing spot.
The way Brodz and Heater are playing I dont want Koivu slotted back in there. Honestly the best thing would be if somehow Koivu, Lats, and Butch all came back at once and became the top line and every other line just got slotted down, with non-productive AHL'ers getting sent back down.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Dee Oh Cee

That'd be an #ifNHLwasWWE moment...wait...wait...that's Koivu's music! and he's with Butch and Lats!

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:52 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
The way Brodz and Heater are playing I dont want Koivu slotted back in there. Honestly the best thing would be if somehow Koivu, Lats, and Butch all came back at once and became the top line and every other line just got slotted down, with non-productive AHL'ers getting sent back down.
That's what I was getting at with the Powe/McMillan idea. If Yeo wants to keep things copasetic as they are:

Johnson-Brodziak-Heater
Seto-Cullen-Clutter
Powe-Koivu-McMillan
Ortmeyer-Peters-Kassian

I think that sort of thing could work (although that fourth line still makes me sick to my stomach).

Old
02-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
That's what I was getting at with the Powe/McMillan idea. If Yeo wants to keep things copasetic as they are:

Johnson-Brodziak-Heater
Seto-Cullen-Clutter
Powe-Koivu-McMillan
Ortmeyer-Peters-Kassian

I think that sort of thing could work (although that fourth line still makes me sick to my stomach).
What about sending McMillan down as well and bringing up Wellman for Powe-Koivu-Wellman and try to roll 3 lines with legitimate scoring threats?

Old
02-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Koivu's not coming back for Dallas per Russo.

And I'd guess Koivu goes to Brodziak's spot and Brodziak goes to whoever is our 3rd line center right now (Peters?)

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:13 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Koivu's not coming back for Dallas per Russo.

And I'd guess Koivu goes to Brodziak's spot and Brodziak goes to whoever is our 3rd line center right now (Peters?)
See I think thats just gonna throw the whole lineup out of whack and ruin the chemistry that the current "top" line has right now.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:00 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

The way Heatley, Brodziak and Johnson have played together I don't think you break em' up until they regress. Move Cullen to left wing like he played a few times last year and Slot Koivu in between him and Seto.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
The way Heatley, Brodziak and Johnson have played together I don't think you break em' up until they regress. Move Cullen to left wing like he played a few times last year and Slot Koivu in between him and Seto.
That could work. That way you also have another center ready to take draws when Koivu gets tossed a bajillion times a game.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:12 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Then Powe-Peters-Clutter and McMillan-Rau-Kassian?

Old
02-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I kinda like the "second" line. Would make a nice "third" line if we had a top one. They all have some speed and even though none of them play great with others, it seems to cause issues for the other team and they can pounce on turnovers.

I do like Brodziak as he's a better skater than Koivu and can therefore buy a little more time for Heatley, but I can't imagine Koivu could get buried on the third line with say Powe and McMillan or something awful like that.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:17 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Then Powe-Peters-Clutter and McMillan-Rau-Kassian?
Probably something like that I suppose. Only other thing I can think of is moving Cullen down to 3rd line center and moving Clutter up to the 2nd line.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I kinda like the "second" line. Would make a nice "third" line if we had a top one. They all have some speed and even though none of them play great with others, it seems to cause issues for the other team and they can pounce on turnovers.

I do like Brodziak as he's a better skater than Koivu and can therefore buy a little more time for Heatley, but I can't imagine Koivu could get buried on the third line with say Powe and McMillan or something awful like that.
I think the things that are really making the lines click right now are the divided talent (teams focus on Heatley, but the second line burns them, then focus on the second line and Heatley burns them) and the Johnson-Heatley combination.

Anyone have the stats on the defense for the past 3 games though? I wonder how big of an impact the Schultz-Spurgeon and Falk-Prosser pairings are having.

I think we could see a return of Wellman and McIntyre, with Rau, Ortmeyer, and either McMillan or Kassian going back down. That could give us this lineup:

Johnson-Brodziak-Heatley
McIntyre-Koivu-Wellman
Setoguchi-Cullen-Clutterbuck
Powe-Peters-Kassian

Old
02-02-2012, 03:51 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
I think the things that are really making the lines click right now are the divided talent (teams focus on Heatley, but the second line burns them, then focus on the second line and Heatley burns them) and the Johnson-Heatley combination.

Anyone have the stats on the defense for the past 3 games though? I wonder how big of an impact the Schultz-Spurgeon and Falk-Prosser pairings are having.

I think we could see a return of Wellman and McIntyre, with Rau, Ortmeyer, and either McMillan or Kassian going back down. That could give us this lineup:

Johnson-Brodziak-Heatley
McIntyre-Koivu-Wellman
Setoguchi-Cullen-Clutterbuck
Powe-Peters-Kassian
Only way I see McIntyre playing with Koivu is if they ease Koivu back on to the team and therefore, play him on the 3rd or 4th line most of the game. I'm just gonna guess that Yeo puts Koivu back together with Heatley. Don't think Koivu needs to be eased back like Lats does.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Right now I'd rather keep Kassian, McMillan, and Ortmeyer up here. They've been effective in all the games. Rau had a nice game and cooled off. But a crap game tonight and Scandy could easily be on his way up.

Old
02-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Right now I'd rather keep Kassian, McMillan, and Ortmeyer up here. They've been effective in all the games. Rau had a nice game and cooled off. But a crap game tonight and Scandy could easily be on his way up.
I keep Kassian until we're sure Mikko can't get re-aggravated. Somebody touches the Koivu, Kassian touches their face.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Kassian hasn't fought though in the last couple weeks, has he? Unless Koivu plays with Kassian that makes no sense.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:15 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Kassian hasn't fought though in the last couple weeks, has he? Unless Koivu plays with Kassian that makes no sense.
it's the ol' nuclear deterrent argument to which many people still subscribe. Attack our red cross mission and we'll blow up your baby-milk factory with a cruise missile. The idea is that some players will play a little less physical if they fear getting punched. Not saying I agree or disagree. At that point (where Koivu is "touched") it'll probably be too late so there's always the possibility of satisfying in-the-moment revenge. Koivu will still be re-injured hypothetically but it would be nice to see someone get hurt for it. That would do it for me only if Kassian was able to pummel the guy who hurt him--no point to it all in Koivu getting injured by an EJ hit then Kassian beating up McLeod for revenge.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Avder
Global Moderator

I say we keep Kassian permanently and ditch ol' Sawdust. Kassian is actually a deterrent and jazzes up the team. Sawdust is stupid minor bait.

Old
02-02-2012, 07:12 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I say we keep Kassian permanently and ditch ol' Sawdust. Kassian is actually a deterrent and jazzes up the team. Sawdust is stupid minor bait.
Precisely what I've wanted since the Kassinator got called up. Dump Sawdust in an old fashioned metal trash can and mix him with a little manure and use him as fertilizer for the flowers on the left field wall at Target Field.

Old
02-02-2012, 07:21 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

the problem there is that the guys staubitz fights will probably be at least marginally better than him at hockey (we technically win in the trade for minutes). the only guys who will fight Kassian are probably completely and utterly useless on the ice, and there are far fewer of them. Its the whole reason Fletcher wanted to go to a middleweight kind of guy in the first place--no one would fight Boogaard. I'd like Kass up here too but I don't know if Fletcher is keen on the idea--if he doesn't like Staubitz anymore then I see us trying to sign Konopka again or spin the wheel and hope we find someone like Englund or McQuaid to insert on a nightly basis.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Staubitz won me over with the autograph signings at the outdoor practice. Seems like a nice guy. So I'd just politely walk away from him in the summer instead of putting him in a metal trash bin