HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

NHL investigating scoreboard error in L.A.

Old
02-02-2012, 01:04 PM
BigKing
Spot Picker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKR View Post
Does that mean that every organization the NHL "hates" gets awarded the All-Star game? If so, I would hope we can be "hated" on a lot more...
Off the top of my head, Atlanta hosted the ASG as well. They are looking pretty hot right now. As for LA getting hated on more, there have been two all-star games in LA, plus the 2010 Draft. I'd prefer not to have one here again as having it in LA the last time allowed Jaroslav Modry to put "NHL All-Star" next to his name. Anyways, giving the ASG to Columbus is just a bone to throw their long suffering fans.

The proposed realignment that has been put on hold kept CBJ in the Western Conference, a move many CBJ fans stated could mean the death of the franchise:

Losing + 8 to 10:30 PM road games does not equal building and maintaining a strong fan base.

BigKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
It sucks that it happened, but the NHL would be better off not opening up Pandora's Box my screwing with the final result of the game
Exactly. It was a mistake but you can't go back and reverse results, that's just asking for some **** to happen.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:15 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Reading the thread on the main board. It makes me realize how many ****ing idiots exist.

Not just on here....just in general.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Dropdapuck

Here's what Lombardi has to say from the same article referenced by kovacro in post #7 - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=386722
Quote:
"Those clocks are sophisticated instruments that calculate time by measuring electrical charges called coulombs, explained Kings general manager Dean Lombardi in an email to TSN. "Given the rapidity and volume of electrons that move through the measuring device the calibrator must adjust at certain points which was the delay you see – the delay is just recalibrating for the clock moving too quickly during the 10 - 10ths of a second before the delay - this insures that the actual playing time during a period is exactly 20 minutes. That is not an opinion - that is science - amazing devise quite frankly."

Dropdapuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
Lol I love DL's response.

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
Off the top of my head, Atlanta hosted the ASG as well. They are looking pretty hot right now. As for LA getting hated on more, there have been two all-star games in LA, plus the 2010 Draft. I'd prefer not to have one here again as having it in LA the last time allowed Jaroslav Modry to put "NHL All-Star" next to his name. Anyways, giving the ASG to Columbus is just a bone to throw their long suffering fans.
I was just trying to say that I do not agree that the NHL "hates" Columbus. They hosted the 2007 NHL Draft and they're hosting next year's All-Star Game. Columbus is a great hockey town with an incredibly loyal fan base.

Perhaps attendance is down in Columbus, but I wouldn't be paying to see the terrible product Howson is putting out on the ice either. Dodgers attendence was down last season as well, but that wasn't because it's a terrible franchise - fans were making their voices heard that they were not satisfied with the direction of the franchise. The result? McCourt will be out by the end of April (Thank God).

BKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:23 PM
KingsFan7824

I'm now kind of hoping that the Kings were in on this whole thing.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
I think the Kings should get to play that OT period against Ottawa from last season on the goal Smyth scored to send the game to OT that was taken away. Then the Kings could have been the 4th seed with 100 points and would play Anaheim in the first round.

The cup should be taken away from Boston and the NHL should re-do the 2011 playoffs.

Yes, there was a time clock mistake made in the game, **** happens. I can't believe people think it was deliberate so that the Kings could win the game. How would anyone know that the Kings would score in the last second if the clock was stopped for 1 second? Would I be frustrated if it happened to the Kings? Of course, but I wouldn't want the game re-played. Just like the Ottawa game wasn't replayed or any number of blown calls that happen in the final seconds of games.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:28 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

vCash: 567
I wonder if the FBI will subpoena me considering I falsely won vCash of the game?

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropdapuck View Post
Here's what Lombardi has to say from the same article referenced by kovacro in post #7 - http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=386722
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
Lol I love DL's response.
I really hope we get a Dr. Lombardi running joke going from this stuff.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:34 PM
cheap77

Dean said what I was thinking except he said it in a way that was much better than my terrible explanation.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...hl-hockey.html

Also, I can only laugh at the people who say the only fair way to solve this is to play the OT in Columbus in March. As much as I wouldn't mind because I will be at that game and it would mean extra hockey ... Not gonna happen.

cheap77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:34 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

"Those clocks are sophisticated instruments that calculate time by measuring electrical charges called coulombs, explained Kings general manager Dean Lombardi in an email to TSN. "Given the rapidity and volume of electrons that move through the measuring device the calibrator must adjust at certain points which was the delay you see – the delay is just recalibrating for the clock moving too quickly during the 10 - 10ths of a second before the delay - this insures that the actual playing time during a period is exactly 20 minutes. That is not an opinion - that is science - amazing devise quite frankly."

Coulombs

Coulombs

COLUMBUS!!

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I wonder if the FBI will subpoena me considering I falsely won vCash of the game?
Now that you were dumb enough to post that here, the IRS is going to want their cut too.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Anybody own a DeLorean?

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:13 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
There is no such thing as a true 20 minutes. If you added up every tenth of a second in the 3rd period after every whistle where the timekeeper was a tad slow...Doughty scored in plenty of time.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Chazz Reinhold

Apparently science is not a reasonable explanation for the masses.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:23 PM
I in the Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Apparently science is not a reasonable explanation for the masses.
God stopped the clock...

I in the Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:25 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Well now we all know it's a game of "inches" and "coulombs". I am just glad that Dean is up on the latest scoreboard clock technology so he could provide a detailed response so quickly.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

I thought it was just the FSW clock that froze. Apparently, the FS Ohio clock also froze so that means everyone was using the same clock as Staples Center.

The thread in the NHL forum is cringeworthy, though. We have dip***** who want to put the blame on everyone associated with the Kings: from Kings fans to the song "Clocks" by Coldplay.

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:30 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Well now we all know it's a game of "inches" and "coulombs". I am just glad that Dean is up on the latest scoreboard clock technology so he could provide a detailed response so quickly.
If you're going to fix a game, might as well know how you're doing it.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Vamos Rafa
ˇVamos!

Does anyone know which sports radio in LA is discussing this topic?

Haha what...? Sports radio talking Kings hockey?

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
"I don't know what to say really. It's a game of coulombs. The coulombs we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that coulomb. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that coulomb. We claw with our fingernails for that coulomb. Because we know when add up all those coulombes, that's gonna make the ****ing difference between winning and losing!"

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:42 PM
kingsholygrail
Hail HYDRA!

Dustin Penner scored a breakaway goal.

Dustin Penner SCORED.

Clearly it had an impact on the time/space continuum. God forbid Gomez scores...

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 1527
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos

"I think part of his game is he’s over aggressive at times, which I like. We’ll tame that. I’d rather tame a lion than paint stripes on the kitty cat." - Dean Lombardi discussing Brayden McNabb
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:57 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
"I don't know what to say really. It's a game of coulombs. The coulombs we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that coulomb. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that coulomb. We claw with our fingernails for that coulomb. Because we know when add up all those coulombes, that's gonna make the ****ing difference between winning and losing!"
AWESOME

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote