HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League post game handshake - is it ever ok NOT to shake a guy's hand?

Old
02-02-2012, 04:29 PM
jigglysquishy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
And what if the opponent did something to make me skip the handshake line? I'm supposed to just forget about the disrespect and lack of sportsmanship he showed during the game because it happened while the clock was still running?

Forget that. As far as I'm concerned, during the game, show me respect and sportsmanship and I will gladly shake your hand afterwards.
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Be the better man and shake his hand.

jigglysquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:56 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Well I'm glad I don't play at all the places you guys play. The handshakes here are always friendly. I actually enjoy them. Then again, our rink is the only one in the area so everyone knows each other and nobody ***** where they eat. In the rare case when specific players are pissed at each other they have enough maturity to not throw a fit about having to shake their hand.

Also, I love the argument some are using that "The pro's don't do it, why should we?" You're not in the big leagues. Stop comparing yourselves to the NHL. I have a feeling it's the people who think they're in the NHL that make handshakes bad.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't play other sports but is it normal for say rec league basketball and softball to have handshakes after games?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:08 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
I don't get post-game handshakes at all. I played 4 years of floorball as a goalie, and I never shook hands with the opposition. Ever. Why should I congratulate the other guys? For showing up? It gets under their skin and next time we meet, we have the emotional advantage. It might be minuscule, but it's an advantage nevertheless. Sports are all about winning, why shouldn't one take an advantage over another if there is an opportunity to do so?

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:15 PM
Stickmata

Always shake, every game. While I can understand where the 'the handshake in a rec league is stupid' perspective comes from on the surface, I think over the longer term it keeps a spirit of sportsmanship in the league and even, in a small way, builds relationships between teams. I think it also reinforces the 'leave what happens on the ice, on the ice' idea, probably keeping some stuff from spilling over into the dressing room and the parking lot.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Stickmata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I don't play other sports but is it normal for say rec league basketball and softball to have handshakes after games?
It is in basketball around here.

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:24 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Yep, both. At least around here.

Puhis, I think that's where my difference is. You seem to play to win. I play purely for fun. I suppose it all comes down to how you view the game. Makes sense.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:41 PM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

Just give him the stink palm.

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:53 PM
robitaille20

l'M A GERMAPHOBE SO l ALWAYS LEAVE MY GLOVE ON IN THE HAND SHAKE LINE. AFTERWARDS, l SPRAY IT DOWN WITH LYSOL.

robitaille20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:08 PM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Silj View Post
l'M A GERMAPHOBE SO l ALWAYS LEAVE MY GLOVE ON IN THE HAND SHAKE LINE. AFTERWARDS, l SPRAY IT DOWN WITH LYSOL.
Are you afraid of lower-case letters as well?

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:09 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aftcomet View Post
I have no idea why there should be "bad blood" or attempts to injure in beer hockey.

Beer hockey should be shinny that's more organized and where people are trying to win (but not by any means necessary)
Of course that's how it "should" be......but the reality is that sometimes it isn't that way.

The world also "shouldn't" have ****, or child abuse, or murder.....but those things happen, too.

Most people are good folks on and off the ice. But if you play long enough and at competitive enough levels, eventually you're going to run into real jerk or two.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:11 PM
dwreckm

Well with the guys I play with we all go to the same locker room after skating, so there's really no need to shake hands or anything. We play to have fun and enjoy the game, and we'll congratulate each other on a goal whether it was someone on our team or the opposing team.

dwreckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:15 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Madbrough
I hate the handshakes. I always do it but I have no problem not shaking someone's hand if they were a d-bag for the previous hour.
I agree. Well, I actually like the handshakes (or at least don't mind them). I do it 99.9% of the time and will put most grudges behind me after the final buzzer.....but yeah, I also have no problem skipping a guy who's been an exceedingly pathetic jerk for most of the game.

Doesn't happen often....maybe once every 3-4 years or so. Honestly, I've seen yelling/pushing matches break out in the handshake line about 5 times as often as I've just not shook someone's hand.

Last guy I skipped in the handshake line went knee on knee with one of my defensemen (got a 2-min minor), cross-checked someone in the back of the head while he was laying on the ice and then kicked him in the arm with is skate (the refs gave him a double-minor for the hi-stick/cross-check, but missed the kick), and drilled another one of my defensemen into the boards head first from behind with 90 seconds left in a game they were winning by 3 (2 mins for X-check, I picked up 2 for the retaliatory roughing). Mind you, this was a guy who used to play travel hockey team as a youth playing down in a non-checking rec league against mostly novice adult players. Besides, if the guy had been ejected and suspended as he should have been for kicking at one of my teammates while laying on the ice, he wouldn't have been around for the handshake line anyway.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:27 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Be the better man and shake his hand.
No, they don't make a right. Shaking hands acknowledges that his bahevior has been excused though and in some cases, it has not. Therefore, no shake.

Playing rec hockey shouldn't give you the right to act like a degenerate and as your opponent I am not required to excuse what another person does. I will be the better man by not shaking his hand and not acting like what he did was OK.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:00 PM
beenhereandthere

I'd like more what they do in girls softball, just high five, instead of a handshake....

Last edited by beenhereandthere: 02-02-2012 at 09:12 PM.
beenhereandthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:26 PM
epo

A few games ago we played a team that dropped down to our division with a decent record and had won since. We played one of our best games and lost 3-2 after tying it up late and letting in questionable goal with seconds left. I was at the end of our line and a 3 of there players were delayed because they were complaining to the refs about something. They were just coming as it was about to finish, and our last few guys could have waited, but we didn't. Why complain for minutes after a win on a platter?

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:35 PM
rinkrat22

every adult sport I have ever played included a post game handshake. No big deal.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:49 PM
damacumich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
I don't get post-game handshakes at all. I played 4 years of floorball as a goalie, and I never shook hands with the opposition. Ever. Why should I congratulate the other guys? For showing up? It gets under their skin and next time we meet, we have the emotional advantage. It might be minuscule, but it's an advantage nevertheless. Sports are all about winning, why shouldn't one take an advantage over another if there is an opportunity to do so?

So how exactly does you not shaking the other team's hand give you an advantage?

damacumich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:48 AM
bigwillie

Send a message via AIM to bigwillie
If there's someone in line that I don't like I get even more excited for the handshake. Rather than slink away and hide, you look him in the eye, shake his hand and tell him to eat a bag full. Makes much more of a statement.

Last edited by Cowbell232: 02-03-2012 at 06:14 AM.
bigwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:42 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
If there's someone in line that I don't like I get even more excited for the handshake. Rather than slink away and hide, you look him in the eye, shake his hand and tell him to eat a bag full. Makes much more of a statement.
Plus, if your team ends up winning, it's always nice to give him a shake and a "good game" because you know he's going to be pissed that he didn't get another rise out of you/someone on the team. That really pisses off the jerks Not much makes a statement like passing the feeling that someone doesn't mean **** to you when they're trying to get in your head.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:41 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
That only works if you are in a position to control your anger. If you aren`t, you may be better off skipping the shake.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Samcanadian

vCash: 880
We had a game last night. I took a BS holding call and then an additional minor for unsportsmanlike conduct when I helicoptered my stick into the penalty box (I know, I know...my bad, retarded, etc etc...I felt bad after). The moment I stepped out of the box I took a pass, blew down the right side and saucered a pass to my brother who was charging the crease and he poured it into the open net. Goalie hits him between the legs and the D-man he burnt gives him a shove. My bro got mad, I got mad and it was a bad situation.

End of the game we're in lines for handshakes (we lost) and I had no problem shaking guys hands. Homeboy who attacked my bro refused to shake hands with him and broke off halfway through the lineup. I went over to shake his hand after, but he refused to and also chirped me for our jerseys. I just felt bad for the guy that he'd get that mad after winning a game...it was weird.

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:09 AM
goalie29

Every adult rec sport I've played the games end in a hand shake line. If nothing else it should serve as a reminder that we're playing adult rec.

I had a woman skip me the other night. I still don't know what I did to her to bring that on. Her team was a way stronger team (we were filling in for another team in that game, we don't normally play this team), and they beat us 5-0 with us hardly getting any shots. This girl and I didn't have any altercations, and I wasn't much of a factor in the game, didn't get any penalties or anything...

It made her look like a poor sport and very immature, I thought.

goalie29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Beerfish

There is no reason in the world you should feel obligated to shake the hand of an Ahole. It's ridiculous, people can act like idiots for a whole rec game and then you are supposed to be nicey to them? F that.

Like Dino Ciccerelelli said after Draper got killed by Lemieux in that playoff game. "I can't believe I shook that freaking guys hand."

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
There is no reason in the world you should feel obligated to shake the hand of an Ahole. It's ridiculous, people can act like idiots for a whole rec game and then you are supposed to be nicey to them? F that.

Like Dino Ciccerelelli said after Draper got killed by Lemieux in that playoff game. "I can't believe I shook that freaking guys hand."
Exactly. The handshake is a sign of respect.

If you didn't earn my respect or better yet did something to inspire me to disrespect you during the game, why in the hell would I shake your hand?