HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All-Time Blues roster

Old
01-31-2012, 12:47 AM
PlagerBros*

vCash: 500
How anyone can have a team without Barc and how anyone can put Gassoff ahead of Bob Plager is beyond me.

PlagerBros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 08:41 AM
kimzey59

Hawerchuk Gretzky Mullen
Shanny Oates Hull
Stastny Federko Berenson
Sutter Brind'Amour Gilmour

Pronger MacInnis
Stevens Harvey
Housley Butcher

Fuhr
Barrasso

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:36 AM
stlweir

Chimo,

you are right, Bob Plager should be ahead of Gassoff. Gassoff had just come into his own his last season and looked to have a good shot at being an allstar the next but it was not to be. Bob may have been slow as mollasses and had a shot like a feather but he came to play every night, was a tough as they come and he had that deadly hip check. One of my all time favorites.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:09 AM
Sandusky

No love for Grant Fuhr? Even though I still have nightmares about Yzerman racing down right wing, Fuhr was huge in that series. Great performance in the twilight of his career.

Sandusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:12 PM
Spektre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandusky View Post
No love for Grant Fuhr? Even though I still have nightmares about Yzerman racing down right wing, Fuhr was huge in that series. Great performance in the twilight of his career.

That wasn't Fuhr in net with Yzerman shooting from the blue line. It was Casey. Gretzky has made several snide comments over the years about things would have been different had Fuhr been in net. Well, maybe things would have been different if Gretzky isn't the one coughing up the puck at center ice that leads to the Yzerman goal.

I'll add that I never thought much of Fuhr. His numbers were never great and he played on an all star team. I know Gretzky always lavishes him with praise about how he was the best playoff goalie etc... He was average at best I thought. Look at the team that was in front of him. His numbers should have been a lot better if he was that good.

Last edited by Spektre: 01-31-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 02:14 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
This post perfectly encapsulates Fuhr's overratedness as a Blue. People have fond memories not of him, but of his name being associated with the Blues. Remember that time when they were potent in the playoffs, and Fuhr was on the team? They don't actually remember Fuhr having any playoff heroics because he never did for them. He was dreck-and-a-half in against Dallas in the playoffs. The Blues had some incredibly potent teams in the late 90s, always felt like if they could've just gotten past Detroit/Dallas they'd have been in the Finals. But their goaltending was always mediocre. Fuhr had some great regular season stretches and played a ton of games but great regular season stretches you could also give to Osgood and Legace and Mason etc. Obviously Roman Turek for all the hate he receives was better than those latter three as a Blue. (Turek was great in the regular season and difference-makingly great against San Jose and Dallas before his disastrous failure against Colorado. Point being not to promote Turek but to point out how history becomes decided not so much by what happened by by gauzy false nostalgia like Fuhr's epic Game 7 against the Red Wings.)

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Spektre

People, the Yzerman goal was scored against Casey not Fuhr.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAOYjVxP2wc

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 07:29 PM
Chicago Blues

Goaltending post-CuJo was stomach churning. Fuhr had nights where he stood on his head and then let in some of the softest playoff goals you'd ever seen. And this isn't even any great offense to Fuhr, I recall repeated stories about the pain his body was going through in the twilight years of his career and the Blues complete inability to get a better goaltender or a serviceable backup during that time. I don't blame Fuhr, I blame the Blues, however, I don't exactly remember Fuhr as a great Blues goaltender considering we have a decent history with goaltenders.

For the Yzerman goal - wasn't Fuhr hurt? (And didn't Gretzky cough up the puck in the neutral zone?)

Chicago Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:39 PM
PlagerBros*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektre View Post
That wasn't Fuhr in net with Yzerman shooting from the blue line. It was Casey. Gretzky has made several snide comments over the years about things would have been different had Fuhr been in net. Well, maybe things would have been different if Gretzky isn't the one coughing up the puck at center ice that leads to the Yzerman goal.

I'll add that I never thought much of Fuhr. His numbers were never great and he played on an all star team. I know Gretzky always lavishes him with praise about how he was the best playoff goalie etc... He was average at best I thought. Look at the team that was in front of him. His numbers should have been a lot better if he was that good.

Looking at Fuhr's numbers is a mistake. He wasn't about numbers and played on the 80's. Fuhr was clutch. He always came up with the saves when they needed it and had amazing reflexes.

PlagerBros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 10:37 PM
Beastman*

Quote:
Fuhr would've made that save.

It probably wouldn't of went 7 games if he played in that series.

Beastman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 12:42 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Yeah that bum Casey held the 62-win Red Wings scoreless into the fifth period that night but Fuhr would have saved it because he were teh herp derp magics.

Old
02-01-2012, 01:23 AM
Beastman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Yeah that bum Casey held the 62-win Red Wings scoreless into the fifth period that night but Fuhr would have saved it because he were teh herp derp magics.
Yzerman would not have a chance to win game 7 with that shot, because there would not have been a game 7, if Fuhr was playing because of "teh herp derp magics".

Old
02-01-2012, 01:58 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastman View Post
Yzerman would not have a chance to win game 7 with that shot, because there would not have been a game 7, if Fuhr was playing because of "teh herp derp magics".
Riiiight. Fuhr was mediocre at best for the Blues in the playoffs. I'm a little surprised you didn't put Bishop on the roster, frankly.

Old
02-01-2012, 02:21 AM
Beastman*

Quote:
Riiiight. Fuhr was mediocre at best for the Blues in the playoffs. I'm a little surprised you didn't put Bishop on the roster, frankly.
Did you even see Fuhr play in the 96 playoffs?

Old
02-01-2012, 10:46 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastman View Post
Did you even see Fuhr play in the 96 playoffs?
Is this meant to imply you did?

Old
02-02-2012, 02:07 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Blues View Post
Goaltending post-CuJo was stomach churning.
Some people would say the goaltending with CuJo was equally stomach churning:

89-90 he was good enough in the first round (this will be a common denominator later) but the Blues were simply outclassed in the second.
91-92 meh, nobody in the Campbell was beating the Hawks that season
92-93 was impressive, even if they could not get past Felix Potvin
I do not think you want to bring up either 93-94 or especially 94-95.
I will grant you that 95 was Keenan's first year and he is notoriously difficult on goaltenders...but that series was nauseatingly bad.

Quote:
Fuhr had nights where he stood on his head and then let in some of the softest playoff goals you'd ever seen.
Couldn't get Grant to put down the doughnuts some nights long enough to bother stopping the simple shots.
Either that or the lack of coke was keeping him from being jazzed up enough. Maybe he could actually focus when on that. Who knows.

Quote:
Blues complete inability to get a better goaltender or a serviceable backup during that time. I don't blame Fuhr, I blame the Blues
Which is the very thing I still blame Keenan and Pleau for to this day. I cannot help but wonder if there would have been a parade down Market had one of those two been able to address the critical goaltending issue. The Blues may never have a chance that good again.

Quote:
For the Yzerman goal - wasn't Fuhr hurt? (And didn't Gretzky cough up the puck in the neutral zone?)
Yes and yes.

Nick Kypreos, in a move that should have gotten his head removed from his shoulders by any player on the Blues, dove on to Fuhr after a nudge by Pronger in the crease the previous series (Leafs).
Then, he gets to talk on HNIC instead of spending the rest of his days laying upon a bed of nails with battery acid trickled upon him.

Gretzky did in fact give up the puck because he was being lazy and not protecting the puck first and foremost...something undeniably critical in the playoffs...to say nothing of overtime in the seventh freaking game.
Which was why I was so happy to see that he ended his career without visiting the playoffs but once more after he left the Blues.

Revenge, chilled plate, etc.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
I will say that the 96 playoffs, Fuhr did seem to have re-captured some of his previous magic against the Leafs.

Not sure if he would have been appreciably better than Casey, but one cannot help but wonder...

Old
02-02-2012, 01:29 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Fuhr was hurt after just over one game in 96. NOBODY can say he'd "regained the magic."

There's a reason nobody ever legitimately complains that Casey cost the Blues anything. That Wings team was one of the best regular season teams in the entire history of hockey and he took them to double overtime of Game 7 scoreless. Transposing a fervent hope that someone else would have done better just underscores how painful it was to lose that game, not gives any real insight to how things would or would not have been different. All you can say about Fuhr with the Blues is he was mediocre at best in the playoffs for them, and while it's a shame Kypreos is such a sack of cat**** and took away the opportunity for us to find out if it would have been different in '96, the reality is if Shayne Corson simply buries his breakaway in the first OT we're not even having this discussion.

Old
02-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

Quote:
Fuhr was hurt after just over one game in 96. NOBODY can say he'd "regained the magic."
I was thinking he was injured in the middle of game 3, but looking back you are quite correct. I do remember him stopping just about everything that came at him against Toronto and that seems to be accurate.

Old
02-02-2012, 04:58 PM
Sandusky

Well color me red, I could have sworn it was Fuhr who was in goal that night. Then again, I've had a lot of years trying to erase Yzerman's goal from memory, so the goalie of record was rather secondary.

Sandusky is offline   Reply With Quote