HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Houle & Trembly Era

Old
02-02-2012, 03:05 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

vCash: 500
Houle & Trembly Era

Hey guys,

During the Rejean Houle and Mario Trembly era, I was pretty young, enough to understand the moves they made, but didn't really knew the context of the moves, so I really hated both guys. Can you guys give me some information into how bad they really were. I know the Roy issue, its just when I see Trembly on RDS, I actuall like him, surpising because I "hated" him so much when he was coach.

For example I think Houle traded Vicent Damphousse and Mark Recchi when their were on the final year of their contract and I remember something like MTL not having the money to re-sign him.

I think he traded Damphousse for a 1st round pick and 2nd, and he traded Mark Recchi for Zubrus and a 2nd.

Another was Muller and Schnieder for Turgeon and Malaklov, that was decent, but I don't get why you then trade Turgeon for Corson.

Again can someone tell me how things were during that era, example the reason why Damphousse and Recchi trade, and was the trade value so bad compared to that era.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by habs03: 02-02-2012 at 03:14 PM.
habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:20 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Hey guys,

During the Rejean Houle and Mario Trembly era, I was pretty young, enough to understand the moves they made, but didn't really knew the context of the moves, so I really hated both guys. Can you guys give me some information into how bad they really were. I know the Roy issue, its just when I see Trembly on RDS, I actuall like him, surpising because I "hated" him so much when he was coach.

For example I think Houle traded Vicent Damphousse and Mark Recchi when their were on the final year of their contract and I remember something like MTL not having the money to re-sign him.

I think he traded Damphousse for a 1st round pick and 2nd, and he traded Mark Recchi for Zubrus and a 2nd.

Another was Muller and Schnieder for Turgeon and Malaklov, that was decent, but I don't get why you then trade Turgeon for Corson.

Again can someone tell me how things were during that era, example the reason why Damphousse and Recchi trade, and was the trade value so bad compared to that era.

Thanks for the help.
I wont add anything to this thread but felt the same thing with Tremblay
hated him until he joined RDS

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:21 PM
walsy37

Houle because he made bonehead move after bonehead move. His trades were disasters, he didn't sign any quality free agents and his drafts were beyond abysmal. (I think the "good" trade you mentioned Tugeon/Malahkov for Muller/Schneider was a Savard deal btw).

Tremblay because he couldn't coach, had no gameplan and couldn't get along with the players and they all wanted out from fighting with him.

But overall the issue was that they left the team in far worse shape than ever before and it took years to recover. In fact many people believe we have never recovered since the Roy trade.

walsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:53 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
Houle because he made bonehead move after bonehead move. His trades were disasters, he didn't sign any quality free agents and his drafts were beyond abysmal. (I think the "good" trade you mentioned Tugeon/Malahkov for Muller/Schneider was a Savard deal btw).

Tremblay because he couldn't coach, had no gameplan and couldn't get along with the players and they all wanted out from fighting with him.

But overall the issue was that they left the team in far worse shape than ever before and it took years to recover. In fact many people believe we have never recovered since the Roy trade.
Thanks for the info, it makes more sense that he didn't make the orginal Tugeron trade only to trade him away a year later.

But in regards to the trades and FA, was it true the reason some of those guys were traded because Mtl didn have the money to re-sign them? During that era was what he got for Damphousse and Recchi alteast somehwat decent value?

Also I the draft pick he got for those guys went to waste it seems, did he keep the same scouting guys or did he hire his own?

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:56 PM
LePoche69

We have to face it: We can start talking about the Roy Curse

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
The only curse we've had is bad management.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:11 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Curses exist as much as time travelling superhero octopuses do. Therefore they very much exist.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:38 PM
yianik

Dont forget that Ronald Corey, he was also responsible.
Another issue. We were drafting horribly back ( honest to God, drafting guys in the 1st who couldnt skate eg Ward, Ryan, M. Higgins etc ), but guys who actually werent bad prospects kept getting shipped out without much of a look at the NHL level, in Montreal eg Andrew Cassels, Craig Conroy.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:57 PM
MTL-rules

Well, let's not forget that Houle was forced by the owners to sell his high price players... he was not floating in money like Gainey/Gauthier... but he was definitely not Billy Beane. He sucked at evaluating talent and getting good returns for his top players.

As for Tremblay, he was just a hot head with absolutely zero NHL coaching experience = disaster (that's why I'm fearing Roy as a head coach)

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Well, let's not forget that Houle was forced by the owners to sell his high price players... he was not floating in money like Gainey/Gauthier... but he was definitely not Billy Beane. He sucked at evaluating talent and getting good returns for his top players.

As for Tremblay, he was just a hot head with absolutely zero NHL coaching experience = disaster (that's why I'm fearing Roy as a head coach)
Precisely.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:13 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The only curse we've had is bad management.
The bad management is precisely a result of the Roy Curse

To do do do do do do daaaaa (on twilight zone starting notes)

Old
02-02-2012, 06:14 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Curses exist as much as time travelling superhero octopuses do. Therefore they very much exist.
You saw one too?

Old
02-02-2012, 06:21 PM
All-Star

Tremblay was in way over his head plain and simple.

Houle was responsible for single-handedly turning a salvageable team with a bad coach into a craptacular team with a decent coach. The guy even brought back a washed up Richer because he had a "feeling about him" for christ sakes.

All-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by walsy37 View Post
Houle because he made bonehead move after bonehead move. His trades were disasters, he didn't sign any quality free agents and his drafts were beyond abysmal.
Mathieu Garon (1996, 2nd round), Mike Ribeiro (1998, 2nd round), Francois Beauchemin (1998, 3rd round), Andrei Markov (1998, 6th round) and Michael Ryder (1998, 8th round).

For all his faults, he found a few gems, but maybe you aren't old enough to remember, or perhaps you just like to be a little dramatic.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Joe Cole

What's jumps out most is that they had no direction or vision. When the media complained about something, they were way too influenced. They reacted to media pressure immediately.

It was sad.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:05 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
The bad management is precisely a result of the Roy Curse

To do do do do do do daaaaa (on twilight zone starting notes)
Wouldn't the Roy curse be the result of bad management?

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote