HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

2011-12 CIS Regular Season & Results

Old
01-27-2012, 09:26 PM
AUS Fan

vCash: 500
Last Playoff Spot

The last spot is up for grabs between SFX and Dal. UPEI clinched a spot with their win tonight (although the AUS site doesn't show it). A SFX win or a STU loss in regulation will finish STU.

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Rob

UNB and Moncton now tied for first.

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2012, 10:00 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
The last spot is up for grabs between SFX and Dal. UPEI clinched a spot with their win tonight (although the AUS site doesn't show it). A SFX win or a STU loss in regulation will finish STU.
I don't know how you figure that....X is only 5 points up on STU with 6 games left...even if St FX beats STU tomorrow it wouldn't eliminate the Tommies (7 points up with 5 to play).

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:55 AM
SnipeShow91

Long jam in the OUA east contines! 5 points seperates 3rd from 9th. RMC tried to play spoiler, got the first and last goal, but Toronto won the middle and the game 4-3!

SnipeShow91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 04:12 AM
AUS Fan

Brain Dead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNB Bruins Fan View Post
I don't know how you figure that....X is only 5 points up on STU with 6 games left...even if St FX beats STU tomorrow it wouldn't eliminate the Tommies (7 points up with 5 to play).
You're right.... When I was looking at this last night I was thinking of total points, not points for the last spot. Hard to believe that I was a math major!

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 06:08 AM
northvanman

I think it's time to officially declare the OUA West up for grabs - not the standings, but the playoffs. The past 3 weeks have seen Lakehead go on a 4 game losing streak, including losses to UOIT and Brock. Over the same stretch, Western has scored a single goal in 4 of 5 games, including a loss to Brock and a SO loss to Windsor.

York and Brock have each won 7 of their last 10 games, and we're seeing close results most nights in all of the divisional games. In other words, a mediocre parity seems to have developed.

northvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 10:32 AM
WilcoxHound

McGill 7 - Ottawa 2
As we watch a once promising season swirl around in the crapper before disappearing into a black hole all I can wonder about is how to draw some good from this that can be applied to improving the team for next season. It's not like by finishing out of the playoffs that they will get a high draft pick.
This team needs to be blown up, there aren't enough character players or players you would want to go to war with. They have too many individual superstars who believe it is their right to play pond hockey and are detriments to the success of the team. Last night the McGill broadcasters made several comments about how the Gee Gees were playing with no emotion and appeared flat all game. There were at least a dozen odd man rushes by McGill including a 2 on 1 that resulted in goal while the Redman were shorthanded. The Gee Gees seem at times, depending on which players are on the ice, incapable of keeping the opposition forwards from getting behind them.
This season has given Real Paiment more gray hairs but it has also provided him with the opportunity to create an entirely new blue print for this team and I hope that this includes flushing the pond hockey players.

WilcoxHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 11:22 AM
clear the track

Promising season

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilcoxHound View Post
McGill 7 - Ottawa 2
As we watch a once promising season swirl around in the crapper before disappearing into a black hole all I can wonder about is how to draw some good from this that can be applied to improving the team for next season. It's not like by finishing out of the playoffs that they will get a high draft pick.
This team needs to be blown up, there aren't enough character players or players you would want to go to war with. They have too many individual superstars who believe it is their right to play pond hockey and are detriments to the success of the team. Last night the McGill broadcasters made several comments about how the Gee Gees were playing with no emotion and appeared flat all game. There were at least a dozen odd man rushes by McGill including a 2 on 1 that resulted in goal while the Redman were shorthanded. The Gee Gees seem at times, depending on which players are on the ice, incapable of keeping the opposition forwards from getting behind them.
This season has given Real Paiment more gray hairs but it has also provided him with the opportunity to create an entirely new blue print for this team and I hope that this includes flushing the pond hockey players.
Hard to pinpoint what has gone wrong. The last half of the season was obviously harder than the first. This does not explain the horrible play and lack of emotion. They have as you previously posted played like a beaten dog. After a lucky first goal to start the first they immediately go into trap mode This caused no problem for McGill and they systematically worked though it. Maybe Paiement needs to rethink the systems in play. The first and second line has been invisible not just the last couple of weeks but in reality all season. What has transpired that has sucked the life and energy from these players? Big game against Carleton tomorrow. Carleton went through a slump mid season but seems to have shaken their doldrums and are playing good hockey. I am not hopeful that we will see anything different from the Gee Gees in this game.

clear the track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 02:36 PM
WilcoxHound

I just read an article covering last night's game on the Gee Gee's website and Coach Paiment stated that he didn't think the team was playing that badly. My question would be "in which league would they not be playing that badly", certainly not the CIS. I can understand that on the school website which most of the players will read that he would say that but if he is really that blind to the problems facing his team then he is out of his league. He also stated that the systems were being executed well and I have to wonder why he is spin doctoring. In another sentence he appears to be calling out his goalkeepers when during last night's game the McGill announcers continually praised the Gee Gees goalie until he was mercifully pulled after another goal from an odd man rush. I would be supportive of Mr Paiment if he called it like it is and not like he wished it could be.

Old
01-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Hollywood3
Bison/Jet Fan

Illegal player

It seems that the 3 points lost due to an illegal player took the wind out of their sails.

Hollywood3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:47 PM
WilcoxHound

I won't berate Paiment for not knowing about the rule that cost Ottawa the 3 points but I will say that the team played with a lot more effort and determination when Dave Leger was coach. Game preparation and game plans originate with the coach not just the ability to coddle underachieving superstars.
What Mr. Paiment brings to the team will be better judged at the end of next season but after that we may have to hire "rantfather" of STU as a consultant on how to get rid of a coach.

Old
01-28-2012, 05:39 PM
clear the track

Coaching

Quote:
I won't berate Paiment for not knowing about the rule that cost Ottawa the 3 points but I will say that the team played with a lot more effort and determination when Dave Leger was coach. Game preparation and game plans originate with the coach not just the ability to coddle underachieving superstars.
What Mr. Paiment brings to the team will be better judged at the end of next season but after that we may have to hire "rantfather" of STU as a consultant on how to get rid of a coach.

I don't think Leger was a better coach. He was however a players coach who seemed to get the most out of his players. Paiements track record however speaks for itself. From what I understand hes not a touchy feely kind of guy. Coaching in the CIS is different than major junior in so many ways. Maybe he has lost the dressing room with his attitude towards his players and his systems. He may say his systems are still working (as you mentioned, what else is he going to say on a school website) but they obviously are not. Maybe Paiement needs to be more flexible. After all they cannot trap there way to wins with the teams they are facing the next four games. Lets see a hard 2 man forechek and damn the torpedoes. Put an anchor on Jalbert and away we go.

Old
01-28-2012, 06:59 PM
WilcoxHound

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear the track View Post
I don't think Leger was a better coach. He was however a players coach who seemed to get the most out of his players. Paiements track record however speaks for itself. From what I understand hes not a touchy feely kind of guy. Coaching in the CIS is different than major junior in so many ways. Maybe he has lost the dressing room with his attitude towards his players and his systems. He may say his systems are still working (as you mentioned, what else is he going to say on a school website) but they obviously are not. Maybe Paiement needs to be more flexible. After all they cannot trap there way to wins with the teams they are facing the next four games. Lets see a hard 2 man forechek and damn the torpedoes. Put an anchor on Jalbert and away we go.
I hear ya! Today's game is played at as fast a pace as the player's skill will allow and it would be great to see a 2-1-2 and aggressively play most of the game on the opposition side of centre. Playing a trap lets the other team gain momentum on the break out and take advantage of the weakest wing while the other defenders try to catch up. A good coach can pick up on that by the 10 minute mark and lately that's about when the game goes downhill for the Gee Gees. The biggest concern that I see is there seems to be little desire to battle for pucks and own your space on the ice. Last night McGill was sending 2 forcheckers on dump ins and and most of the night both of them would be behind the net before any Gee Gee showed up.
From what I am hearing Paiment has lost the room and his favouritism has, to put it as politically correct as possible, created a geographical divide amongst the players.

Old
01-28-2012, 09:28 PM
clear the track

Big Win

Quote:
I hear ya! Today's game is played at as fast a pace as the player's skill will allow and it would be great to see a 2-1-2 and aggressively play most of the game on the opposition side of centre. Playing a trap lets the other team gain momentum on the break out and take advantage of the weakest wing while the other defenders try to catch up. A good coach can pick up on that by the 10 minute mark and lately that's about when the game goes downhill for the Gee Gees. The biggest concern that I see is there seems to be little desire to battle for pucks and own your space on the ice. Last night McGill was sending 2 forcheckers on dump ins and and most of the night both of them would be behind the net before any Gee Gee showed up.
From what I am hearing Paiment has lost the room and his favouritism has, to put it as politically correct as possible, created a geographical divide amongst the players.
Well Wilcox. It could be ugly tomorrow. Carleton as you probably already know has upset McGill with an empty net 4 2 win. I haven't heard their was a rift in the dressing room. I hope you are wrong and this is not the case. Do you mean a French English thing or a 1st 2nd line vs 3rd 4th line type of thingie.

Last edited by clear the track: 01-28-2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old
01-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Rob

UNB 3 Dal 2 (ot) - If it wasn't for Tyler Carroll UNB probably doesn't get the two points. Carroll had two goals including the overtime winner. Great effort by Dal who play hard and smart. Earned an important point as well.

STU 2 STX 1 (so) - STU finally gets that elusive 4th win. STFX loses another one goal game.

SMU 5 Moncton 0 - A little lopsidded.

UPEI 4 Acadia 3 (ot) - Panthers are the read deal.

So the VReds take over first place with a two point lead on Moncton, Acadia and SMU who are all tied for second. X hold a one point lead over the Tigers with both teams facing each other twice before the end of the season.

Old
01-28-2012, 11:12 PM
doogie24

3 shutouts in a row for Josh Unice, UWO ...errr "Western University" clinches the OUA West.

doogie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
3 shutouts in a row for Josh Unice, UWO ...errr "Western University" clinches the OUA West.
Yes, he's put up some very nice numbers. I anticipate on seeing Western here in March again.

Old
01-29-2012, 04:44 PM
WilcoxHound

Gee Gees 4 - Carleton 1
What a nice surprise and good way to put a bad month behind them. While the game was pretty evenly played Ottawa was able to take advantage of a tired Ravens goalie (who played last night against McGill). Right from the beginning big Matt Methot took his team mates on his shoulders and played like the leader we expect until the Gee Gees found their confidence. They played with purpose today unlike the last four games. Goalie Russell Abbott had his mojo back, Dominic Jalbert played with discipline and the whole team bought into hard work and puck support. Today they were hard to play against.

Last edited by WilcoxHound: 01-29-2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old
01-29-2012, 07:59 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear the track View Post
Carleton as you probably already know has upset McGill with an empty net 4 2 win.
The game sheet listed a fight at the end of this game! Don't see that very often. (we had some fisticuffs in the UNB-ACD game that ended up with Roughing calls - hard to believe given the punches to the head and the fact both players didn't have their gloves on).

3 - MCG Dupont, 19:14 - Tripping, 2 min (PP)
3 - MCG Dupont, 19:14 - Major-Fighting, 5 min
3 - MCG Dupont, 19:14 - Game Misconduct, 10 min
3 - CARL Taylor, 19:14 - Major-Fighting, 5 min
3 - CARL Taylor, 19:14 - Game Misconduct, 10 min

This occurred 19sec after Carleton made it 4-1 (Empty Net goal)

McGill would pull their goalie again and score a SH goal with 13sec left to make it 4-2.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 07:47 PM
SnipeShow91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer View Post
The game sheet listed a fight at the end of this game! Don't see that very often. (we had some fisticuffs in the UNB-ACD game that ended up with Roughing calls - hard to believe given the punches to the head and the fact both players didn't have their gloves on).

3 - MCG Dupont, 19:14 - Tripping, 2 min (PP)
3 - MCG Dupont, 19:14 - Major-Fighting, 5 min
3 - MCG Dupont, 19:14 - Game Misconduct, 10 min
3 - CARL Taylor, 19:14 - Major-Fighting, 5 min
3 - CARL Taylor, 19:14 - Game Misconduct, 10 min

This occurred 19sec after Carleton made it 4-1 (Empty Net goal)

McGill would pull their goalie again and score a SH goal with 13sec left to make it 4-2.
RMC has had 2 fights this year. Justin Lacey and Michael Blundon of Concordia and Colin MacLean and Jason McDonough of Ryerson.

Old
01-30-2012, 07:48 PM
SnipeShow91

RMC 3 @ Toronto Varsity Blues 4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2xOPfKhP8U

RMC 1 @ Nipissing Lakers 2 (OT) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QkGM...ature=youtu.be

Old
01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
RED ARMY EAST

McGill vs UQTR

The Pats have had their number and will be going for a season sweep of the Redmen.
Is there any video feed available, for Tuesday nights game?

RED ARMY EAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:59 PM
Rob

McGill 7 UQTR 3

Old
02-01-2012, 02:29 PM
Dutch

That game was McGill's all along. They were faster, and much better defensively than the Patriotes. Their PP was lethal because UQTR couldn't isolate Verreault-Paul who loves to use his one-timer ala Cammalleri. As for their penalty kill, I think their defensemen blocked more shots than Morin in the nets.

Talking to Verreault-Paul after the game, he told me the guys were on a mission and wanted this win more than anything, especially after losing to Carleton.

However, on the Patriots side, they were missing their Quarterback in Pierre-Luc Lessard. He's been out for a couple of games and that has shown on a lot on the powerplay, where it pretty much looks like chicken running without their heads.

I don't think we can use this to tell who would win it in a playoff matchup, but one thing is sure, McGill just sent a big message to the Patriotes.

http://translate.google.com/translat...n&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:59 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

How is the 3rd place OUA team going to be determined this year? Are the two semi-finalists going to play a series or just one game?

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote