Notices

Flames sign and recall Krys Kolanos

Old
02-02-2012, 10:55 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
Kolanos is an old, one-way-playing bust of a player. He worked hard. Yeah, worked so hard that his coach barred him from the arena not so long ago and sent him home to think about his future. There is a disconnect between Abbotsford and Calgary. I wonder wtf Feaster is doing.

You want to know how bad of shape this team is in? They've been reliant on this type of player to prop up the minor league team and now going to try it with the major league team. You want to know how desperate the fanbase is? They believe this clown has a hope of doing anything! This is a complete embarrassment. The joke around the NHL is Calgary is the place players go to get one last shot. That joke will now extend to the minor league system. And the fans still think its great! None of you should ever say anything bad about the Oilers fans and the amount of crap they swallow from their management team. Feaster is shoveling worse **** down your throats and telling you its caviar. Wake up! This team is in such a nose dive it will be impossible to pull up. If Harley Hotchkiss could see what is going on with his hockey club.
He has a GREAT 2-game have you seen him play this year? I have and he was the most complete player on the ice. The only reason he is a bust is he took a huge hit which set him back years he looks to have finally found his game again but I guess at 30 he should just give up right Tim Thomas.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:40 AM
The Gnome

vCash: 500
Oh No!! Not the 50 contract limit! Whatever shale we do?!

Seriously CGYPUKSUX you are making a huge deal out of a minimum salary signing for a player who clearly earned it. This will not, in anyway hurt us down the road, even if Kolanos does nothing but get sent back to Abby.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
SaintMorose

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post

Seriously CGYPUKSUX you are making a huge deal out of a minimum salary signing for a player who clearly earned it. This will not, in anyway hurt us down the road, even if Kolanos does nothing but get sent back to Abby.
and even if that happens it shows young payers in the minors that hard work and success does lead to opportunity with this club

SaintMorose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:20 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post

CGYPUKSUX is a very knowledgable poster, and one of the best on this board in that regard. However, his whole attitude and bias towards the Flames really skew his arguments. His arguing for the sake of it is becoming very tiresome and I like said it is making him lose creditibility on this board. If he is truly against the way the Flames are being run (and his reference to Hotchkiss was sickening and classless) then he really should go and cheer for the Oilers.

I'm actually shocked this signing/thread is getting a response of this scale, and it is all primarily a reaction to CGYPUKSUX.

Johnny Hoxville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:26 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
CGYPUKSUX is a very knowledgable poster, and one of the best on this board in that regard. However, his whole attitude and bias towards the Flames really skew his arguments. His arguing for the sake of it is becoming very tiresome and I like said it is making him lose creditibility on this board. If he is truly against the way the Flames are being run (and his reference to Hotchkiss was sickening and classless) then he really should go and cheer for the Oilers.

I'm actually shocked this signing/thread is getting a response of this scale, and it is all primarily a reaction to CGYPUKSUX.
No he isn't. He has never been either.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Congo

Why is this guy having melt down? I don't get it.

Abbotsford is being run in a way where winning is emphasized. Calgary is being run in a way where winning is emphasized. It used to be that Flames prospects were told "Go play in the AHL, try to develop, I guess, and then someday we might call you up." Now, the message seems to be pretty clearly "We play to win. If you're in Abbotsford and you work hard and help the team win, we will find a way to get you onto the big club." Unlike a lot of rebuild teams (Edmonton, Atlanta for a long time, Columbus for a long time) Feaster is making it abundantly clear that just trying to get better isn't good enough, the expectation in the Flames organization is that you win. It is never acceptable to lose.

Kolanos has worked his butt off, he's helped Abbotsford win and he's having a fantastic season. This was done under the auspices of "Do these things and we'll get you an NHL contract." So you have two options...

1) Don't sign Kolanos. Your prospects will never believe your promise of "Work hard, win and we'll get you up here."

2) Sign Kolanos. Give him a couple games. If he works, great, if he doesn't just send him back down.

You have to go with option 2, if only to maintain credibility with your prospects.

Congo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:53 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityIggy View Post
No he isn't. He has never been either.
I don't wanna argue about him, because I do not agree with things he posts. But personally I think he is quite a knowledgable hockey fan, its his views and opinions that I disagree with.

Old
02-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Northern Heat

Quote:
I don't wanna argue about him, because I do not agree with things he posts. But personally I think he is quite a knowledgable hockey fan, its his views and opinions that I disagree with.
I agree. Very knowledgeable and pretty good at using facts to back up most statements, just the constant arguing of every other posters opinion is the issue.

Northern Heat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:07 PM
MarkGio

Personally I like knowing I cheer for a classy organization that values what the players contributes to the organization, that values the role that players have in bringing in both business and image. The Flames let Conroy play to his 1000 games, gave Fleury an opportunity to recover his image, etc. The Flames haven't given RFA qualifying offers, gives players try-outs, and even trades players so they can have an opportunity to play if we don't have a spot for them. That's the kind of activity that gives proud fans a reason to continue to cheer for this team.

Not to compare Kolanos with Morrison, but Morrison was an "expiring" player that we took a chance on, and because it would be too burdensome on the organization to have him in the line-up, we traded him to give an opportunity to play. We did this without sacrificing the clubs "chances" of success, and in some regards, increased our success long-term. And I'm sure Morrison can respect this. Any player would respect this. We could probably do the same with Kolanos.

If guys like Morrison, Kotalik, Conroy, etc., voice their feelings about our organization, we are more likely to be on the list of places players are willing to be traded to. We're more likely to sign UFA's, and more likely to get discounts on signings. In this business, nice guys don't finish last IMO. But maybe I'm not pessamistic.

Last edited by MarkGio: 02-02-2012 at 01:37 PM.
MarkGio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:12 PM
MarkGio

@CGYPUKSUX, I know you and I have got into it several times now, but I'm not going to disregard your ideas because you can have a favourable perspective on things. And even though our debates have gotten personal, I'm not that pety to hold it against you beyond a particular discussion. But I do, however, disagree with you in this regard.

Old
02-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Xelstyle

Still wondering on what the far reaching implications are with signing a productive AHLer and giving him a tryout. Honestly, he works out with us, great. If not, we keep him in the AHL where he can continue to support the winning atmosphere.

Bodies will move between now and beginning of next year so I don't think you could say that there could be ig issues about contract length of the number of them that we have.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:45 PM
tfong

Flames need to tank!

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:01 PM
DBU
Hoss Creek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Flames need to tank!
Yeah, no one else thinks that. Carry on.

According the lines from practice today (and this is just what I read), Kolanos was on a line with Jones and Cammalleri. Interesting.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:15 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

lol @ the people making a big deal over this move...

Great move by the Flames, and good on Kolanos. He worked his ass off to get to this point, and deserves a chance to show the Flames what he can do. Great message to send by the organization.

So what if he's 30? The guy brings offensive skill, and we're in no position to be turning any of that down at this point. If he works out, awesome. If not, the next prospect will take his spot. Low risk-high reward type of move.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:26 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Sauce View Post

According the lines from practice today (and this is just what I read), Kolanos was on a line with Jones and Cammalleri. Interesting.
That's one way to put it.

Old
02-02-2012, 06:29 PM
DBU
Hoss Creek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
That's one way to put it.
I figured it was the most... diplomatic way to put it.

DBU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:31 PM
khennig16*
Bikini Inspector

khennig16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:14 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by khennig16 View Post
Lol thats how CGYPUKSUX is reacting at this very moment

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:02 PM
MarkGio

Why would Roy flip out like that? Seems really wierd that he'd start skating towards Kolanos afterwards.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:03 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Why would Roy flip out like that?

'Cause Roy was a crybaby.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:07 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
I see the lines being:

Cammy - Backlund - Iggy
Tangs - Jokinen - Comeau
Bouma - Jones - Kolanos
Kostopolous - Stajan - Jackman

Old
02-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Does anyone know the term of the Kolanos deal? I checked capgeek and its not on there yet. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the assumption that he was given a 2-way contract until the end of the season. So again, (if that is indeed the case) and if it doesn't work then all the Flames have given him was a contract for 3 months.

Old
02-02-2012, 08:51 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:
Does anyone know the term of the Kolanos deal? I checked capgeek and its not on there yet. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the assumption that he was given a 2-way contract until the end of the season. So again, (if that is indeed the case) and if it doesn't work then all the Flames have given him was a contract for 3 months.
It was 2-way two year contract, so essentially the remainder of this season + next season.

He deserves it, even if he fails to produce at the NHL level he will be a key ingredient in the success and development of the Abbotsford Heat.

I really see no downside to this signing other then it may hinder out ability to take on a contract a the trade deadline. We could just as easily ship out a contract in that scenario however.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:54 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

Quote:

Yuck.

Brent Sutter really confuses me. I hope that is not what we see tomorrow.

HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Johnny Hoxville
Formerly MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
It was 2-way two year contract, so essentially the remainder of this season + next season.

He deserves it, even if he fails to produce at the NHL level he will be a key ingredient in the success and development of the Abbotsford Heat.

I really see no downside to this signing other then it may hinder out ability to take on a contract a the trade deadline. We could just as easily ship out a contract in that scenario however.
Thanks, I wasn't sure. And I agree, even at 2 years I still like this.