HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hasek would be proud

Old
02-02-2012, 05:58 PM
gallagt01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
Yes?

His SO goal was huge, that's undeniable. But he had a pretty brutal game outside of that, particularly on the powerplay/5-on-3 in the first period. He had three terrible giveaways during that sequence.

The guy is a pretty good complimentary player who plays a solid, if unspectacular, two-way game. But he's not a puck handler or a playmaker, and the Sabres should stop using him that way, especially on the powerplay.
I remember the 5-3 on giveaways. They weren't very good.

That said, I have absolutely no problem with Pominville or his game. The guy's a gamer. He brings it every night and is the definition of consistency.

gallagt01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:21 PM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I remember the 5-3 on giveaways. They weren't very good.

That said, I have absolutely no problem with Pominville or his game. The guy's a gamer. He brings it every night and is the definition of consistency.
Oh, I'm a big fan of the consistency, I just don't think he's a guy you build around.

Hell, I think, when either guy is playing at his absolute peak, that Gaustad can have a bigger impact on a single game than Pommerz can, and I think the last two games help to prove that.

I don't mind Pominville at all, and he's a guy you like to have on your team, but I'm still not sure he was the right choice for captain and I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with him as the face of this franchise.

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:32 PM
zTheWalkingDead

Quote:
Originally Posted by htsportplaya View Post
I don't mind Pominville at all, and he's a guy you like to have on your team, but I'm still not sure he was the right choice for captain and I'm still not sure I'm comfortable with him as the face of this franchise.
Even though he is the captain I still dont see him as the face of the franchise. The entire team is built (poorly) around Ryan Miller. I'm pretty sure if I went up to a lesser educated hockey fan and talked about the Sabres in general they would probably think of Miller.

I agree with you, I think having Pominville and his point per game play is extremely beneficial, but I dont think many people would label him as the face of the franchise. People have come to know Miller as being the US Olympic hero and connecting him to the Sabres, Miller is known more nationwide where I think Pominville is slightly more localized outside of the deep hockey realm.

On the Gaustad point, I like his play to a degree. I think his line brings good energy to the ice on occasion and they can really keep an opponent on their heels, but I think the impact he has is minimal. Outside of winning faceoffs in key situations I dont think he has a place in a late game situation or a powerplay, but hell, Lindy uses him like he does.

In the end, if I had the choice between Gaustad and Pominville, I would obviously choose Pominville. But the argument of Pominville vs Miller is a whole different question, one I dont think I could answer at this time

zTheWalkingDead is offline   Reply With Quote