HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Mab

Closed Thread

Old
11-08-2003, 04:48 PM
coyote

vCash: 500
Mab

How many mistakes does he have to make to replace him with Semenov. He did not play well again tonight and with quality ice time. No one else played that well either but I figure Semenov should get a chance.

Old
11-08-2003, 04:53 PM
Lowetide

In all honesty, it's hard to get a lock on who is playing well back there. I know there's lots of turnovers, but it seems like they're all convinced passes up the middle are a good idea.

If I were the coach, I'd have a two hour drill. One by one, every defenseman stands behind the net. Give him 50 pucks. When 50 in a row are ripped off the glass and out, that dman gets to play the next game.

The Oilers backline right now is trying too hard to make the perfect play, instead of making the simple play.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:10 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
In all honesty, it's hard to get a lock on who is playing well back there. I know there's lots of turnovers, but it seems like they're all convinced passes up the middle are a good idea.

If I were the coach, I'd have a two hour drill. One by one, every defenseman stands behind the net. Give him 50 pucks. When 50 in a row are ripped off the glass and out, that dman gets to play the next game.

The Oilers backline right now is trying too hard to make the perfect play, instead of making the simple play.
This team badly needs to implement the counter-pinch break-out. For those of you who don't know what it is, here's an attempt at explaining it:

- Defenseman wraps the puck around the boards.
- Winger does nothing but tie up the opposing D-man.
- The centre curls around and picks up the puck on the other side of the tied up D-man.

It's so incridibly simple that not even my intramural hockey team can screw it up.

Old
11-08-2003, 06:24 PM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
This team badly needs to implement the counter-pinch break-out. For those of you who don't know what it is, here's an attempt at explaining it:

- The centre curls around and picks up the puck on the other side of the tied up D-man.

It's so incridibly simple that not even my intramural hockey team can screw it up.
As Rod would say "You can't make that play in the NHL"

Old
11-08-2003, 08:49 PM
oh_canuck

I agree I think the love affair with bergy will end soon lots of mistakes with the puck will soon be his downfall....

Old
11-08-2003, 10:47 PM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh_canuck
I agree I think the love affair with bergy will end soon lots of mistakes with the puck will soon be his downfall....

sorry but I've watch the game 2 times tonight and Bergy did oonly one mistake....as soon as he's making a mistake people run over him.....I think that if he was doin' so much mistakes other teams should have scored more than 1 goal against his D-pair over the year....ferguson and him have not allowed a goal in a while....

he's not worst than brewer....cross....and ferguson....wait until they make changes....I think that they'll trade comrie+ laraque + a top 4 D men to draw bergy and semenov in....and then you'll see that he's valuable to the team....now he can't make any mistakes with the puck so it's hard for him to provide offense.

Old
11-08-2003, 10:55 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
sorry but I've watch the game 2 times tonight and Bergy did oonly one mistake....as soon as he's making a mistake people run over him.....I think that if he was doin' so much mistakes other teams should have scored more than 1 goal against his D-pair over the year....ferguson and him have not allowed a goal in a while....

he's not worst than brewer....cross....and ferguson....wait until they make changes....I think that they'll trade comrie+ laraque + a top 4 D men to draw bergy and semenov in....and then you'll see that he's valuable to the team....now he can't make any mistakes with the puck so it's hard for him to provide offense.
He's playin just fine gooner. Alot of people however, look FOR his mistakes, instead of merely analyzing his play. They've been told over and over to watch out for his mistakes, so that's all that's looked for. They don't see the skill, desire, and outright knowledge of the game. MAB should be here for a long time, said it before and I'll say it again, he's the goods.

Sit Ferguson already......geez.

Old
11-09-2003, 04:08 AM
coyote

Defensively our D are better than average but fall down on the moving the puck up and quickly. They seem to thing that they have to carry it all the time. We are just poor in this aspect of the game.

Old
11-09-2003, 05:23 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
Defensively our D are better than average but fall down on the moving the puck up and quickly. They seem to thing that they have to carry it all the time. We are just poor in this aspect of the game.
Their favorite play last year and this is to stand behind the net waiting for everyone to get in position. It's like watching minor hockey. Then they move the puck to the boards and the next pass is up the boards often to someone who is covered resulting in a turnover.

In the Leaf game last night they even did this "play" while the leafs were changing, a moment noted by the commentator.

Old
11-09-2003, 08:51 AM
creative giant*

Quote:

isn't that interference on the winger comrie?

Old
11-09-2003, 09:33 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

MAB has shown flashes of brilliance at times and at other times flashes of ECHL mediocrity. MacT is really confusing me with his inconsistencies as a coach.

Why does he play Salo on Saturday, even if he claims the groin is healed? If Salo starts in NY, im losing my faith in our coach.

Why sit out Ales Hemsky when you put a new centre on the top-line, don't you want to see if there's chemistry there?

Anyways, MAB should sit Monday, maybe even call up Luoma for a few games and send MAB down to learn fundamental hockey again, I like the guy but everytime he touches the puck in the d zone, i cringe and look away.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:20 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
isn't that interference on the winger comrie?
I've been playing it for years (successfully, I might add), and have never once been called for interference. Occassionally a player goes overboard and elbows a guy instead of tying up his stick.

You don't have to hammer the player into the boards, just tie up his stick. Defensemen do it to forwards all the time in front of the net.

Old
11-09-2003, 10:54 AM
OYLer

Lady Luck forget not us in E-Chuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
How many mistakes does he have to make to replace him with Semenov. He did not play well again tonight and with quality ice time. No one else played that well either but I figure Semenov should get a chance.
Frankly, I thought Staios made more mistakes last night then did MAB. The seperation between the D-man and the forwards, of late has been too great. Plus all our blueliners tried to force shoots on net that Toronto blocked and broke out of their end with these fortunate turn abouts. Toronto gambled down low and the 'Oil' came up snake eyes. The Oilers never did get the down low cycle working. Too man Oilers' shots were rushed and delivered with no screens in place. Harmless shots at a distance which Eddie saw clearly and handled easily.

An ugly game for the E-Towners but the big deciding factors weren't Tommy Salo or the forwards, with or without Hemsky, and/or the defense core. It was one bad penalty, and a motherload of good luck, fortunate bounces for TO and excellent play by Eddie the Eagle. The Leafs really didn't deserve to win that game and did. A tie would have flattered Sudin & company really. As Pat Quin noted after the game:
"They've got a good looking team that skates and competes hard. Some nights it just doesn't go for you. We've had it happen to us and tonight I was happy it happened to them."
Lady luck just deposited a stinker to be won somewhere down the road reclaimed from that pot of gold ... now if only those Charcol & Black Toilers could find that silver lining. Lately, even finding a great big glorious rainbow has been impossible for our hapless and muted pucksters.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:07 AM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
I've been playing it for years (successfully, I might add), and have never once been called for interference. Occassionally a player goes overboard and elbows a guy instead of tying up his stick.

You don't have to hammer the player into the boards, just tie up his stick. Defensemen do it to forwards all the time in front of the net.

Wait, hold on a minute.....

Did you just propose the Oil start using some lame-brained breakout that works wonders in your intramural league????

That's awesome.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:46 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Wait, hold on a minute.....

Did you just propose the Oil start using some lame-brained breakout that works wonders in your intramural league????

That's awesome.
Trust me, I did not invent this play. I got this from a past hockey coach, who stole ALL of his plays from the Scotty Bowman coach camp.

Anything that is taught by Mr. Bowman is good enough for me.

Old
11-09-2003, 11:52 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

anyways those passes up the middle have got to stop. definitely just have to make the simple play.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:13 PM
H-Bear

Definately agreed.

Old
11-09-2003, 02:24 PM
Boondock Saint

Quote:
Trust me, I did not invent this play. I got this from a past hockey coach, who stole ALL of his plays from the Scotty Bowman coach camp.

Anything that is taught by Mr. Bowman is good enough for me.
That's odd....

Bowman knew of this terrific, unstoppable breakout, yet never did his Red Wings use it on the powerplay.

It's insulting to NHL defensemen that you think this is such a good idea, and that it would work.

Old
11-09-2003, 03:37 PM
barto

I don't know where he stated this should be used on the powerplay, but in any case, I don't see a problem in looking at something different, as what we're (mostly) doing now isn't working very well...

Bart

Old
11-09-2003, 04:05 PM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I don't know where he stated this should be used on the powerplay, but in any case, I don't see a problem in looking at something different, as what we're (mostly) doing now isn't working very well...

Bart
Yeah, the play I suggested is absolutely not for the powerplay. It is for when you are hemmed in your own zone. Nothing more.

Closed Thread