HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Pre-Game Meal

Old
09-25-2011, 03:24 PM
felixno44

vCash: 500
should i drink protein shakes before or after a game ?

felixno44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Harv
R.I.P. Pavol.

After.

It's recovery..

Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:04 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Funny thing about pre-game meals...you can eat everything right and still be slow and ineffective against someone who was pounding bacon and donuts in the locker room before the game.

For the most part, the energy that you're skating on is based off of what you've eaten between the previous 24-72 hours. A pre-game meal is best if it keeps you full without making you feel heavy or bloated. Peter Forsberg used to eat dry oatmeal before a game, which of course would basically force him to increase fluid intake. Personally, I always went for oatmeal and bananas...my thinking was that the oatmeal would help keep me from puking if I had excessive fluid intake, and the bananas because, if I did puke anyway, it would taste the same coming back up as going down.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:55 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

About 3/4 hours before, I'll have a Pasta Pot... Then about an hour or so before the game, a 6" Tikka Sub from Subway.

During the game, lots of Gatorade.

Beville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:16 AM
hockeyisforeveryone

vCash: 420
I was taught and agree to this day, don't eat at least 4 hours before a game. Seriously 5 hours is best. You want your stomach to be empty of food, not full of half digested chyme. I like a cup of tea on the drive to my game also.

hockeyisforeveryone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 03:32 AM
silkyjohnson50

Watching that Lidstrom NHL 36 gave us a peak at his gameday routine...

Breakfast: Oatmeal, banana, milk

Pregame meal (which was approximately 6-7 hours prior to the faceoff): Spaghetti (with 2 different sauces), ceasar salad, and a side of chicken. He eats that same exact meal before every home game (excluding the early afternoon games i'm assuming)

After a nap he had coffee 3 hours prior to the faceoff while heading to the rink.

Outside of that i'm sure that they don't eat anything big besides maybe a protein/energy bar/banana. I know Draper was notorious for always having a ton of bananas at his locker.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Guffaw

I noticed that too on NHL 36. Their Pre-game meals are 6-7 hrs. before. In college I was always taught 3-4 hrs. Interesting.

I think it's twofold:

1) They aren't using much energy the 6 hrs before a game so that stored glycogen remains stored. Common folk might be shoveling snow, fixing their car, moving furniture.

2) There is much to do before the game and they want them at the rink getting treatment, warming up, team meetings, taping sticks, etc. Eating at a separate venue 3-4 hrs. before cuts it too close.

I'm going to try pushing mine back to 6 hrs. You want that stomach empty.

Guffaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 06:59 AM
Guffaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
After.

It's recovery..
Absolutely.

Your main focus pregame is loading your glycogen stores by eating carbs. Some protein is ok, but don't go crazy and keep it 3-7hrs before. Fats have no place. They are slow to digest and increase blood flow to the stomach ever so slightly. You want your blood going to your muscles.

Old
01-28-2012, 09:18 AM
OpenIceHit42

I usually down a bottle of the orange (energy) vitamin water and a banana. There for awhile I was downing a Snickers and a Gatorade.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:00 PM
EasternConferences

I nearly always play at night, so this is roughly what I do.

Morning: breakfast cereal and skim milk, plus coffee.

Mid-morning: banana and maybe a hard-boiled egg.

Lunch: tuna sandwich on whole wheat with sprouts. A little later, another coffee.

"Dinner" comes at 4pm or so (about three-five hours ahead of games): Barilla farfalle pasta (specifically, the kind in the yellow box that has Omega-3 and protein), pesto and cannellini beans. It's super easy to make: cook pasta and cook the beans with a little of the pesto. Combine the beans and pasta, add rest of pesto, voila. Usually I have it with some mixed greens or broccoli.

In-game: water, lots of it.

Post-game: Maybe a nice Harpoon or Smuttynose beer in the locker-room. In the car, some diluted Gatorade, vanilla soy protein powder mixed with milk. And a PB&J. Once I get home, I usually hit Cheez-Itz or something like that hard.

EasternConferences is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 01:41 PM
ArcataShark
Anyone say comeback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwillie View Post
Double decker peanut butter and jelly sandwich: One layer with crunchy peanut butter and raspberry jam, the other with smooth and sliced bananas. A side of Tim's jalapeno potato chips and wash it all down with chocolate milk.

**** yes.
Ahahaha you must be in Humboldt, I want a picture of this badboy.

I usually have a bagel sandwich with cream cheese, some spouts if I have any, salami or ham with onion. Then a banana 30 mins before game. I drink H2O, yes like out of the toilet.

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2012, 05:57 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasternConferences View Post
I nearly always play at night, so this is roughly what I do.

Morning: breakfast cereal and skim milk, plus coffee.

Mid-morning: banana and maybe a hard-boiled egg.

Lunch: tuna sandwich on whole wheat with sprouts. A little later, another coffee.

"Dinner" comes at 4pm or so (about three-five hours ahead of games): Barilla farfalle pasta (specifically, the kind in the yellow box that has Omega-3 and protein), pesto and cannellini beans. It's super easy to make: cook pasta and cook the beans with a little of the pesto. Combine the beans and pasta, add rest of pesto, voila. Usually I have it with some mixed greens or broccoli.

In-game: water, lots of it.

Post-game: Maybe a nice Harpoon or Smuttynose beer in the locker-room. In the car, some diluted Gatorade, vanilla soy protein powder mixed with milk. And a PB&J. Once I get home, I usually hit Cheez-Itz or something like that hard.
Lol me and you both, except i prefer the angel hair.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:36 AM
SCritical

I also find if I have a meal less than 3 hours before a game, it comes back to haunt me. But I have my food routines. Generally I won't have dinner before an evening game, but I will eat a trail bar or a small can of four bean mix about an hour and a half before. Then half a bottle of blue powerade (MUST be blue!) on the way there, and water during the game. If I'm feeling off for whatever reason, a handful of gummi bears during a game helps.

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 11:07 AM
AintLifeGrand

Trying this out for my first game of the season this week

Performance supplement with Cordyceps Mushrooms- Endorsed by Bode Miller and Joe Rogan

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
ephmrl
#tanknation

Send a message via AIM to ephmrl Send a message via Skype™ to ephmrl
If the games at night i like to have cereal for breakfast, peanut butter and honey + banana sandwich for lunch and some kind of pasta dish before the game.
If the games in the morning or early afternoon i usually just have some peanut butter toast with a power bar.

ephmrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-30-2012, 08:45 PM
capebretoncanadien

An extra large pizza with all the fixings an hour before game time and while I'm getting my gear on. I'm pretty sluggish out there can't figure out why lol.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 03:45 AM
izzy3

I tried pasta and chicken and salad and red bull, but what works for me is to have a big, carb rich meal 5-6 hours before (really doesn't matter what), then a smallish peanut butter/honey or butter/jam sandwich around 1 hour before. Only water during the game, for whatever reason I get hungry on gatorade.

A few I know eat nuts before the game, and they seem to perform well on them. Worth a try too I guess?

izzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 06:05 AM
Guffaw

Lose the peanut butter and the nuts that close to game time. Too high in fat.

Old
01-31-2012, 08:34 AM
SidGenoMario

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Endorsed by Bode Miller and Joe Rogan
I wouldn't endorse buying mushrooms endorsed by Joe Rogan.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 09:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Eh, it depends on how your body's metabolism has adapted. Some people are more carb adapted and others more fat adapted.

We're talking one game a week usually. It's a different ball game when you're playing once or twice a day on top of workouts...then you need to keep refilling glycogen and managing your macros pretty closely.

I'd have to take another look at my (extremely extensive) notes from reading about ketogenic diets and the metabolism, but off the top of my head it was something about food not being digested and broken down for at least 2-4 hours and it taking several more hours (possibly up to a day or two) for the liver to convert the glucose into glycogen and for the glycogen to get carried through the blood into the muscles for storage.

The long and short was that carb loading makes sense either the day before playing or after playing. Most of the cyclical ketogenic diet info (bleeding edge of science, like Leangains and Lyle McDonald) go for re-feeds after workouts.

I'd probably just stick with a big lunch 6-8 hours before the game and depending on whether you like to play hungry or with a little bit of food a small snack before the game.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:03 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

I don't play hockey anymore, but I'm pretty strict in my pre match meals for Judo, BJJ, and inter-gym MMA matches.

Most events start at 3pm so my big pre match meal is really dinner the night before. Maybe some steel cut oatmeal and honey on gameday.

For 7pm start times I stick to a baked pork chop and some broccoli and carrots uncooked. Nothing ever EVER even pan-fried or stir fried. No spices ever. No butter. No cooked veggies. I try and keep pregame meals as easy on the system as possible.

Before I leave to either event I make a shake:

6 Raspberries, 2 strawberries, 2 black berries, 8 blueberries, a tablespoon of greek yogurt, half of a banana, and half a serving of vanilla protein powder (whey). It's a nice dump of sugar to the system, and greek yogurt has a ton of protein, as does the protein powder. It's great for energy.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 11:18 AM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
Lots of good advice here.

I would add post game, like immediately after, before you head out to the pub or wherever down a small chocolate milk and a banana. It gives the right insulin spike to help your body absorb the amino acids from the milk, and the potassium from the banana.

the milk also has the right mix of two types of protein ( whey and casien,) which break down into amino acids at different rates.

The expensive post workout drinks are formulated to mimic this blend.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2012, 12:36 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffaw View Post
I noticed that too on NHL 36. Their Pre-game meals are 6-7 hrs. before. In college I was always taught 3-4 hrs. Interesting.

I think it's twofold:

1) They aren't using much energy the 6 hrs before a game so that stored glycogen remains stored. Common folk might be shoveling snow, fixing their car, moving furniture.

2) There is much to do before the game and they want them at the rink getting treatment, warming up, team meetings, taping sticks, etc. Eating at a separate venue 3-4 hrs. before cuts it too close.

I'm going to try pushing mine back to 6 hrs. You want that stomach empty.

I think this is very age specific. I'm 33 now, and when I'm going to be competing, like i said above, a 3pm match means my major meal is the night before, and a 7pm match I eat around 2pm (all baked on a raised rack, no spices at all, no cooked veggies). I want to be as empty as possible aside from whatever I'm going to use for fuel for the match, which like i said is a fruit shake, yogurt and whey. very small cup, and an hour before fight time.

However when I was a teen, or early 20's I could eat right up to fight time, and it didn't effect me at all. As a matter of fact, the younger guys I train with got me thinking it's probably best in general to eat constantly in small amounts all day than any real meals at all. Not so easy when you're digestive system and metabolism isn't at the same rate as a 22 year old, but they remain much fresher later in tournys, as they don't have the long time steady sugar level of a protein meal early in the day, and then the hard spike from pregame shakes, gatorade, etc.

if your system can handle it, small snacks with a mix of protein and carbs throughout the day. I'd save any fatty foods for off days.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just as an experiment, game @ 9:45 tonight (ugh).

Yesterday:

Breakfast: coffee w/ 3 oz half and half
Lunch: 8 oz pot roast w/ 1/4 sweet potato
Pre-Workout: banana
Post-Workout: 8 oz chicken breast w/ 3 tbsp Caesar dressing, sparse vegetables, 25g protein powder & 1 oz half and half

Today:

Breakfast: coffee w/ 2 oz half and half
Lunch: 8 oz pot roast w/ 1/4 sweet potato
Dinner: 6 oz deli meats with 3 oz cheese, 2 tbsp mayo
Pre-Game: banana

Very low carb, moderate protein, high fat. We'll see how I do. Trying to chug water now

Old
02-02-2012, 11:57 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Just got back...

Snuck a few oz of beef and broccoli and a couple small pieces of chicken before leaving. Was hungry.

Felt just fine. Had more in the tank when I was done, which is surprising since I did squats and cleans yesterday. I think trying to drink so much water today had a bigger effect to be honest.