HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Smyth would waive NMC

Old
02-03-2012, 04:47 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Smyth would waive NMC

Quote:
If general manager Glen Sather is interested in reuniting with Ryan Smyth by acquiring Edmontonís veteran left wing to bolster the Rangersí attack, the feeling may well be a reciprocal one, The Post has learned.

A well-placed source told The Post that Smyth, who was drafted sixth overall in 1994 by Sather and then played the first five years under his direction while he was general manager of the Oilers, would give serious consideration to waiving his no-move clause in order to pursue a Cup on Broadway.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1lJYeUAmZ

Ryan Smyth controls the cards and can dictate terms. He can pick his destination. Slats and Smyth have a good relationship. Bryan McCabe was only interested in playing for the Rangers last February which lowered the price. 3rd round pick and Tim Kennedy.

2nd round pick and a mid level prospect.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:55 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Forces his way out of LA because he wants to go "home" and now he might waive his NTC to go to New York?

I have met him twice here in Edmonton and he was really nice both times. Everyone on the Avs also had great things to say about him when he played there so it would be cool to see him win a cup but IMO this makes him look bad.......IF it's actually true.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:57 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1lJYeUAmZ

Ryan Smyth controls the cards and can dictate terms. He can pick his destination. Slats and Smyth have a good relationship. Bryan McCabe was only interested in playing for the Rangers last February which lowered the price. 3rd round pick and Tim Kennedy.

2nd round pick and a mid level prospect.
After all the stuff he pulled to get out of LA and back to Edmonton I would lose all respect for him if he did this, not that he would care.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:02 AM
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Forces his way out of LA because he wants to go "home" and now he might waive his NTC to go to New York?

I have met him twice here in Edmonton and he was really nice both times. Everyone on the Avs also had great things to say about him when he played there so it would be cool to see him win a cup but IMO this makes him look bad.......IF it's actually true.
Why would this make him look bad?

His contract is expiring.

The Oilers still aren't ready for a cup run.

And Smyth isn't getting any younger.

He's not asking for a trade, he's just saying he wouldn't disapprove for the Oilers to trade him to a potential winner like the Rangers. And if the Oilers get a higher draft pick through his absence (not that he's playing amazingly well) as well as a decent return from the Rangers, well they win.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:08 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 1044
Well if Smyth wants one more run at the cup go on him

"gifted" Fraser and a 7th to get him. If they get say a second and a prospect--I will grab the popcorn and watch the hate towards the oilers get tossed

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:14 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
Why would this make him look bad?

His contract is expiring.

The Oilers still aren't ready for a cup run.

And Smyth isn't getting any younger.

He's not asking for a trade, he's just saying he wouldn't disapprove for the Oilers to trade him to a potential winner like the Rangers. And if the Oilers get a higher draft pick through his absence (not that he's playing amazingly well) as well as a decent return from the Rangers, well they win.
Everyone knew the Oilers weren't going to do well this season and things look different now but before the season started, most people expected the Kings to be better than the Rangers. So if it's all about winning a cup, why ask for a trade out of LA and say that he only wants to play for the Oilers or Flames?

He asked for a trade from a contending team because he wanted to be closer to home. Now he's back home and might consider waiving his NTC to go to a contender in the East? What?

I usually don't care for the fans/media's annual campaign to get a certain veteran player a cup but in this case I would actually like to see Smyth win one. I just don't get what he's doing. You can have your own opinion but once again, IMO it makes him look bad.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:15 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
Well if Smyth wants one more run at the cup go on him

"gifted" Fraser and a 7th to get him. If they get say a second and a prospect--I will grab the popcorn and watch the hate towards the oilers get tossed
LOLZ! I completely agree with you! Considering how high up the Rangers are in the standings it wouldn't be crazy to imagine Edmonton getting a 1st out of the Rangers.

Boy would the Kings ever be crying foul!

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:24 AM
VanJaysFan*

Ryan Smyth doesn't have a NMC 'to waive'.

He already pissed it away going to EDM.

VanJaysFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:27 AM
cwgatti

I am not sure how I feel about this. As a NYR fan, I get nauseous watching that power play. I would prefer Morrow, but he is always injured and would probably cost more.

What is Smyth's current deal? Is he a UFA after season? If so, a deal like this would further confirm my belief that the NYR sign PArise on July 1st, and continue their quest to become the next NHL dynasty.

cwgatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:29 AM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseguy View Post
Ryan Smyth doesn't have a NMC 'to waive'.

He already pissed it away going to EDM.
That is not how it works.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:33 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
It does work that way with some, but considering Smyth had to waive it to go to LA from Colorado. I am guessing that isn't how his is structured.

As far as this deal wouldn't the Rangers have to send some salary back, he has a big cap hit.

EDIT: According to cap geek they would have to send some back even at the deadline.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 02-03-2012 at 05:35 AM. Reason: Cap implications
The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:35 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 1044
Quote:

I have been to LA and it is a city you either love or hate. Smyth is somewhat the boy next door and maybe LA wasn't his thing. I like NY alot more then LA

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:37 AM
shaner89

Turning into a real dead beat

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:41 AM
KingsFan7824

In exchange for having to take a 4th liner for a guy who scored 23 goals and 47 points last year, the Kings get a free extra point in the standings this season. Fair deal?

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:47 AM
catters078

IMO Rangers will look for someone who could be a factor for them in the next 2-3 years as well as this one which is when their cup window will be open.

I think if its available they try and trade for Ruutu or Hesmky and sign them for 2-3 seasons

I guess its anyones guess with the trade deadline though

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:52 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireEverybody View Post
It's actually exactly how it works. It's up to the acquiring team whether they honour a previously waived NTC/NMC. Considering Smyth's history with the Oilers i'm sure they would grant him the continuation of the clause but its not his decision.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:54 AM
azrok22

Quote:
It's actually exactly how it works. It's up to the acquiring team whether they honour a previously waived NTC/NMC. Considering Smyth's history with the Oilers i'm sure they would grant him the continuation of the clause but its not his decision.
They make the decision when they team acquires him, it's not just a matter of them being free to trade him unless they don't want to, unless they waived that provision in his contract when he was acquired.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:56 AM
VanJaysFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
They make the decision when they team acquires him, it's not just a matter of them being free to trade him unless they don't want to, unless they waived that provision in his contract when he was acquired.
The team is under no obligation to take on the limitations of the NTC/NMC, once it is waived it is gone.

Anything beyond that action is simply a professional courtesy, which does happen often but is by no means contractually required.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:01 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Everyone knew the Oilers weren't going to do well this season and things look different now but before the season started, most people expected the Kings to be better than the Rangers. So if it's all about winning a cup, why ask for a trade out of LA and say that he only wants to play for the Oilers or Flames?

He asked for a trade from a contending team because he wanted to be closer to home. Now he's back home and might consider waiving his NTC to go to a contender in the East? What?

I usually don't care for the fans/media's annual campaign to get a certain veteran player a cup but in this case I would actually like to see Smyth win one. I just don't get what he's doing. You can have your own opinion but once again, IMO it makes him look bad.
He will chase the cup and will be back in Edmonton after 1 July.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:03 AM
azrok22

Quote:
The team is under no obligation to take on the limitations of the NTC/NMC, once it is waived it is gone.

Anything beyond that action is simply a professional courtesy, which does happen often but is by no means contractually required.
Not true, which is why Smyth had to waive his NTC when he was traded by the Kings back to Edmonton, even though he had previously waived it when traded by Colorado to LA. The team decides whether or not it will honor the NTC/NMC when it acquires him, it does not simply cease to operate automatically.

Quote:
His agent, Don Meehan, confirmed Friday night that Smyth has formally waived his no-trade clause to rejoin the Oilers.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/0...urn-to-oilers/

The team is under no obligation to honor the NTC going forward when it acquires the player, but it still must make a decision one way or the other at that time.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:08 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Smyth's NTC still applies just like Heater's did when he got himself moved to the sense and then the Wild. Until his contract runs out, he's got a NTC. It's his choice to waive it or not.

Getting traded doesn't negate a NTC. It just means that the NTC was temporarily lifted.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:12 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
LOLZ! I completely agree with you! Considering how high up the Rangers are in the standings it wouldn't be crazy to imagine Edmonton getting a 1st out of the Rangers.

Boy would the Kings ever be crying foul!
Yes, yes it would. I think Smyth to the Rangers is a very likely possibility, but I would forget about a first round pick if I were you.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:16 AM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Smyth's NTC still applies just like Heater's did when he got himself moved to the sense and then the Wild. Until his contract runs out, he's got a NTC. It's his choice to waive it or not.

Getting traded doesn't negate a NTC. It just means that the NTC was temporarily lifted.
I think Smyth will get traded to a contender. There is no reason to think he won't re-sign in Edmonton with his family there. I'd imagine he wants a chance at the cup--may as well go somewhere for a few months.

I don't think his value is very high though. Oilers' fans are fooling themselves if they think Smyth will fetch a 1st or even 2nd round pick. Maybe a 3d round and a 2nd tier prospect.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:19 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Smyth gave the Oilers a sweetheart deal "forcing" his way back to Edmonton. It was either Edmonton or nothing.

Someone in Newport Sports gave Brooks the story. Doesn't mention any other teams. Well-placed source? Brooks has a very good relationship with Newport Sports. Sean Avery's agency. Someone has leaked every development regarding Avery to Brooks. Sather gives Pat Morris permission to speak with other NHL teams. Brooks has it. Sather offers to loan Avery to another AHL team. Brooks has it. Avery is placed on waivers. Brooks has it.

Sather has known the Smyth family forever. Banff,Alberta connections. Jason Bonsignore was jealous or bitter about how Sather treated Smyth.

Quote:
"Ryan Smyth is a great guy, awesome player and he’s had a fabulous career, but right there around draft time, I mean his family were good friends with Glen and his mom and dad were hugging Glen and were close to him at the draft and it never really felt like he wanted me there.
http://oilersnation.com/2011/9/1/an-...dmonton-oilers

Sather has known Smyth since he was 12.

Quote:
It was 1988 in Banff, Alberta, and Glen Sather set his eyes on a 12-year-old hockey player named Ryan Smyth.

"You could see this kid was going to be a very good player right then and there," Sather told ESPN.com this week."
http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...to-1000th-game

Smyth joins the Rangers for the rest of the regular season and for the playoffs. He returns to Edmonton in the summer.

Someone leaked this to Bob McKenzie last June

Quote:
A deal certainly isn't imminent and won't necessarily be an easy transaction for either the Los Angeles Kings or Oilers to close, but sources tell TSN the 35-year-old left winger has indicated to the Kings his preference would be to play next season in Edmonton if a trade can be worked out.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=369517

It wasn't Dean Lombardi.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:19 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Yes, yes it would. I think Smyth to the Rangers is a very likely possibility, but I would forget about a first round pick if I were you.
Micheal St. Croix will do

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote