HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Everything Scott Gomez: The Official Discussion

Old
02-01-2012, 03:10 PM
DJyellow

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DJyellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Do you have any idea how bad it is for a player to not score a goal in a ****ing year long.. or something like 55 games? And we are not talking about goon that plays 4-6 minutes a game, we are talking about a guy that plays around 18 min a game, on the top 6, never skips a PP cannot put the puck in the net for 56 games. That is close to 1000 straight minutes of ice-time without a goal.

And in those 56 games, he had only 22 assists. So the theory that he's not supposed to score because he's a playmaker, it doesn't work either.
true dat. it's pretty mind-blowing that he hasn't manage 1 goal in almost a year with all the playing time he gets. If i were him, i'd be selfsish and stop passing and shoot at every chance he gets.

DJyellow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Do you have any idea how bad it is for a player to not score a goal in a ****ing year long.. or something like 55 games? And we are not talking about goon that plays 4-6 minutes a game, we are talking about a guy that plays around 18 min a game, on the top 6, never skips a PP cannot put the puck in the net for 56 games. That is close to 1000 straight minutes of ice-time without a goal.

And in those 56 games, he had only 22 assists. So the theory that he's not supposed to score because he's a playmaker, it doesn't work either.
But... his CORSI is awesome.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:24 PM
FanHabtic

I'd love to see the fans cheer his name for 60 minutes straight. Gomez-Gomez-Gomez....

He would be so confused he wouldn't know what to do.

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:25 PM
habscup

Half the problem is gomez's linemates never make any plays for him to score. They are as useless at making plays as he is at scoring.

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
but, someday his shooting percentage will regress to its mean

He's now 56 games in a row. He warrants a celebration. He has achieved the diametric opposite of one the greatest baseball feats ever: Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak.

Perhaps Simon & Garfunkel can compose some sort of tribute to Gomez.

In all seriousness, I wonder if a forward who has had an amount equal or greater to Gomez' average ice time over 56 games has ever gone that long without scoring a goal.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 04:10 PM
GinoCyber*

Quote:
Might want to check your facts on that one...
Quote:
Was Sather from NY Rangers who offered that kind of money. But we got his buddy Bob Gainey who traded McDonagh, Higgins for Gomez and his salary.
Quote:
How about the fact that Gomez hasn't scored in almost a calendar year? Gomez could be making the league minimum and it would still be a massive failure on his part. The guy plays enough minutes at ES + PP to score a ****ing goal or even produce points at a somewhat respectable rate.

Gomez is at fault for sucking and the team/GM is at fault for still having him around.
Uugh, so we gave NY more than they were asking. I wasn't aware of that

GinoCyber* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Shad

Please let the crowd sing happy birthday one time

Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:32 AM
Shadyone33

I wonder if he will score this year, I mean if he gets one goal that would have to be the most expensive goal in NHL history right?

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I'm certain, that although Gomez obviously loves his contract, he must feel the pressures of it are really bringing him down. If he were making 3 million a season, I bet he would be putting up some points.

In a way it must be a bit embarrassing for him, since it seems most pro athletes are proud and want to perform.
Still cant imagine how he scored over 30 goals one year. I mean, you've seen his shot... and he doesnt shoot much to begin with.

I mean, you can see with gionta how he scored close to 50 one year. He's got some decent tools. I dont see any with gomez when it comes to getting the puck in the back of the net.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
Still cant imagine how he scored over 30 goals one year. I mean, you've seen his shot... and he doesnt shoot much to begin with.

I mean, you can see with gionta how he scored close to 50 one year. He's got some decent tools. I dont see any with gomez when it comes to getting the puck in the back of the net.
I guess if you have really good linemates you are bound to take advantage of that, but I still don't understand how that year happened. I mean to take other great pass-first players who are probably better both at playmaking and shooting than Gomez...Henrik Sedin and Getzlaf never got 30 goals, the latter never coming close. Thornton did twice, but never with the Sharks when he was able to defer to his linemates more. Plekanec never got more than 29 goals either.

It's really amazing that he got 33 goals with that shot.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
but, someday his shooting percentage will regress to its mean
yet amazingly, some will still cling to their subjective use of statistical analysis as some objective tool mistakingly believing that it gives their own projections some sort of concrete certainty...

no stat exists to capture the vagaries of emotional irrationality, and that underlies everything that happens in a sporting result.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:07 AM
Et le But

No stats can explain Scott Gomez, that's for sure.

He is beyond statistics.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:09 AM
Pleky Roks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves Like Jagr View Post
Let me say that the day Scott Gomez is traded/Waived/Bought Out/Loaned to Europe will be a happy day for me BUT I like the guy, he seems like a class act and I like his attitude. I would like nothing more than to have the NJ Scott Gomez but he just isn't producing enough to justify his contract. I disagree with this whole celebration, I mean this guy is a professional and I'm sure he's well aware of his scoring drought and him seeing this type stuff had to hurt and make the guy feel even more worse than he already is feeling. I wish the fans wouldn't do this type of stuff, I'm sure players read or hear about this stuff and really want to jump on the chance to play for the habs.

I totally agree with you!!!

It's sad that people find humour/pleasure in other people mis-fortune!! Its not like the guy isn't working his ass off every shift he's on the ice. Yes his contract sucks, but its not his fault that Glen Sather was an idiot and threw this huge bloated contract at him. Gomez was the best free agent on the market that season....and took the money a dumb GM threw at him. Gainey hoped that a change of scenery would spark Gomez to his NJ days....but it didn't work.

I hope he scores against Washington so this whole thing turns out to be pointless...but I don't think it will happen.

Pleky Roks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:10 AM
MoonlightGraham

It would be awesome if he got a hat trick on his goal birthday against the Jets. Eller scored 4 against them, so I'm sure Gomez can get 3.

MoonlightGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:59 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
No stats can explain Scott Gomez, that's for sure.

He is beyond statistics.

beauty

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:08 AM
EmelinHipCheck

It's truely mind-boggling to see how some people would do such a thing for a hockey player.

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:01 AM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:29 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
How... is he still playing...

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:05 AM
EmelinHipCheck

Should Gomez do a Fleury ?

This is not a bashing thread, so please let's leave it at that.
Having just finished Theo Fleury's book ( if you haven't read it, do so now), it's scary to see what some players go through.
There has been some rumours circulating that Gomez was not injured, but suffering from depression during the time he spent on the sidelines.
He is a very talented player, a true class act and a natural leader, and a great example for the young ones, and every team needs a player like that.
It's the contract though.
So, my point is, should he do a Fleury ? Retire, which would break that humongous contract, take the summer to get in the best shape ( mentally and physically ) possible, and re-sign with any team for a lot less then prove your worth ?
I love Gomer, i and would love to see him shine again, he deserves it.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:08 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Yes, I don't care what people say, if a player that has won a cup is placed in the minors it takes a tool on them. I heard from somewhere that Brisebois would go cry in his car after the Habs game cause he got booed.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:09 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
How... is he still playing...
Money brah

PhysicX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:09 AM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovehalgill View Post
This is not a bashing thread, so please let's leave it at that.
Having just finished Theo Fleury's book ( if you haven't read it, do so now), it's scary to see what some players go through.
There has been some rumours circulating that Gomez was not injured, but suffering from depression during the time he spent on the sidelines.
He is a very talented player, a true class act and a natural leader, and a great example for the young ones, and every team needs a player like that.
It's the contract though.
So, my point is, should he do a Fleury ? Retire, which would break that humongous contract, take the summer to get in the best shape ( mentally and physically ) possible, and re-sign with any team for a lot less then prove your worth ?
I love Gomer, i and would love to see him shine again, he deserves it.
dont know where you heard that

retire nahh. play in AHL relax and getting paid big money
then retire after reaching UFA

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:11 AM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Lacroix View Post
somewhere that Brisebois would go cry in his car after the Habs game cause he got booed.
That's actually true, he said it himself.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:12 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Where is the source for Gomez being depressed?

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:13 AM
SnapVirus

Depress by gomez is right. Spacek said it i think.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote