HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why the power play stinks

Old
02-03-2012, 08:35 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Camellari missing his shots be 4 feet contributed heavily to this disaster.

Subban's surprising lack of slapshot precision.

Really, it seems the new board at the Centre destroyed any sniping skill these players had.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The forwards didn't stay the same, Cammalleri went from a PP stuf to a dud and Plekanec played most of the year on the point. Those two had a combined 39 PP points last year.
But why did Cammalleri become a dud? Did he forget how to score? No - I believe this season's new, inexperienced defense didn't create space and opportunity for him. Yes, it exposed Cammy's weakness - an inability to dig in the corners or control the puck on his own - but those problems were successfully covered the last two years by a totally different set of defensemen setting up the play.

As for Plekanec, he was dumped onto the point for the exact same reason -- no quarterback. With Markov, Wiz, Hamrlik, he'd never have been in that position to begin with.

Again, last year's forwards were all back this year and in their prime, with Cole added to the mix. Offense should've been stronger and better. The only thing that had changed -- radically -- was defense.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:24 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
But why did Cammalleri become a dud? Did he forget how to score? No - I believe this season's new, inexperienced defense didn't create space and opportunity for him. Yes, it exposed Cammy's weakness - an inability to dig in the corners or control the puck on his own - but those problems were successfully covered the last two years by a totally different set of defensemen setting up the play.

As for Plekanec, he was dumped onto the point for the exact same reason -- no quarterback. With Markov, Wiz, Hamrlik, he'd never have been in that position to begin with.

Again, last year's forwards were all back this year and in their prime, with Cole added to the mix. Offense should've been stronger and better. The only thing that had changed -- radically -- was defense.
Agree with this. In fact you could even say Pacioretty was added full time. He only played a partial season last year.

I agree that Weber could in the future fulfill the role of a Wiz, Streit, MAB. But the organization hasn't exactly given the young man confidence which I thought he was gaining last year. And the perfect d partner for him could have been Hamrlik. Gauthier undervalued some of the d-men from last year, put all of his eggs in the Markov basket, and lost. Even if Markov was ready to start the season, in the back of your mind there had to be that "what if he's re-injured".

I'll always contend the PP needs a shooter MORE than a PP QB. Both are the luxury but I think in the case of the Habs the shooter is more important. With Wiz and MAB Habs the PP maintained some respectability even without a true PP QB.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:27 AM
lillypad33

Lack of a left handed shot on the point is why the PP sucks in my opinion.
You need a guy who can one-time the puck on the left side, and who can pass it so PK can one-time the puck on the right side.

PK hasn't exactly lit it up this year, but how many great d to d passes has he gotten? Since there is no shot from the right side, it's predictable and teams overplay PK's shot.

lillypad33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:30 AM
otto bond

I say confidence....something this team hasn't had for a while. Also, no real quarter back in the back end to move the box and create shooting lane. the list goes on and on!

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:41 AM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
No movement.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote