HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Smyth would waive NMC

Old
02-03-2012, 09:21 AM
Beukeboom Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
I have been to LA and it is a city you either love or hate. Smyth is somewhat the boy next door and maybe LA wasn't his thing. I like NY alot more then LA
Call me crazy, but he'd strictly be a rental in NY. So not sure why the city matters at all.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:22 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

Q: What is Ryan Smyth's number?
A: 94

Q: When was the last time the Rangers won the Stanley Cup?
A: 1994

COINCIDENCE??!??!??!??

SMYTH = CUP!

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Vitto79

Sather is good at playing hardball in these cases. McCabe would waive to the Rangers last yr and it cost a 3rd and a waiver option in Tim Kennedy

so with that I say a 3rd and Mats Zuccarello which is a better deal

Smyth resigns in Edmonton anyway and gets a Cup run in NY this yr

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

As Ranger fan, I say forget this guy and his "preferences." Let him rot in Edmonton. The team needs to bolster its scoring, but he isn't the answer.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseguy View Post
Heatley signed his contract (with NMC) while in Ottawa. He wouldnt waive to go to EDM, but accepted a trade to the Sharks.

That situation doesnt apply here.

You waive your NTC/NMC and it goes out the window the moment the transaction is made.... if your acquiring club chooses to honour it then it is only a professional courtesy, not a contractual obligation.
This is wrong.

If a player signs a contract with a NMC/NTC and is traded before the contract comes into play, then the new team does not have to honour the NMC/NTC. If the contract is in place at the time a trade is made the NMC/NTC go along with the player.

As such Smyth does indeed have a valid NMC>

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:33 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
As Ranger fan, I say forget this guy and his "preferences." Let him rot in Edmonton. The team needs to bolster its scoring, but he isn't the answer.
Then who is the answer? Smyth has 16 goals, which would tie him for 3rd on the Rangers. If the price is right, why wouldn't we make the deal?

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:41 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Then who is the answer? Smyth has 16 goals, which would tie him for 3rd on the Rangers. If the price is right, why wouldn't we make the deal?
I'm just not a fan. I'd prefer to see Sather use some assets and get a younger forward who is better in transition. The team also needs a d-man for the PP.

Rabid Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:44 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Sather is good at playing hardball in these cases. McCabe would waive to the Rangers last yr and it cost a 3rd and a waiver option in Tim Kennedy

so with that I say a 3rd and Mats Zuccarello which is a better deal

Smyth resigns in Edmonton anyway and gets a Cup run in NY this yr
A 3rd, MZA, and Wolski.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:46 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
From an Oiler standpoint the worse thing would be moving Smyth, the Rags then coming close to winning the cup and him deciding to stay in NYR for another year at 1-2mil.

ST needs to realize this and makes sure that he just isn't doing Slats a favour. Make sure we are getting something of value for Smyth. If not keep him.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:48 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Will he cry when hes traded this time?

Then scamper back to Edmonton in the offseason?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:51 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
From an Oiler standpoint the worse thing would be moving Smyth, the Rags then coming close to winning the cup and him deciding to stay in NYR for another year at 1-2mil.

ST needs to realize this and makes sure that he just isn't doing Slats a favour. Make sure we are getting something of value for Smyth. If not keep him.
I am pretty sure the Rangers will not be re-signing Smyth in the off-season. Sather has a great relationship with Tambellini. I am sure they would discuss this and it would be discussed with the player considering he has a NMC.

You are over-thinking this.

Sather and Tambellini have a great relationship. Sathers team is going for The Cup. The Oilers are rebuilding. The Oilers have an older player who wants a shot at a Cup but who obviously wants to live in Edmonton. Trade said player to the Rangers as a pure rental, Sather helps out his buddy rebuild with a couple of pieces, and Smyth goes back home as a UFA.

Everyone is happy.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I am pretty sure the Rangers will not be re-signing Smyth in the off-season. Sather has a great relationship with Tambellini. I am sure they would discuss this and it would be discussed with the player considering he has a NMC.

You are over-thinking this.

Sather and Tambellini have a great relationship. Sathers team is going for The Cup. The Oilers are rebuilding. The Oilers have an older player who wants a shot at a Cup but who obviously wants to live in Edmonton. Trade said player to the Rangers as a pure rental, Sather helps out his buddy rebuild with a couple of pieces, and Smyth goes back home as a UFA.

Everyone is happy.
Maybe, but you need to remember outside of one year Smyth has never come close to winning. Him coming close again could change everything.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
yea cause there are so many other option out there right? This FA / rental crew is not very good so Smyth is one of the better options

I think the Rangers and most fans rather see them keep there young players since its working so well right now. Smyth just makes sense

Old
02-03-2012, 10:11 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseguy View Post
It's actually exactly how it works. It's up to the acquiring team whether they honour a previously waived NTC/NMC. Considering Smyth's history with the Oilers i'm sure they would grant him the continuation of the clause but its not his decision.
It works however the lawyers structured it in the contract. Some are soft provisions, team dependant, others hard language with little wiggle-room.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:13 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
11.8 Individually Negotiated Limitations on Player Movement.

(a) The SPC of any Player who is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent under
Article 10.1(a) may contain a no-Trade or a no-move clause. SPCs containing a no-Trade or a no-move clause may be entered into prior to the time that the Player is a Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agent so long as the SPC containing the no-Trade or no-move clause extends through and does not become effective until the time that the Player qualifies for Group 3 Unrestricted Free Agency. If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club. An acquiring Club may agree to continue to be bound by the no-Trade or no-move clause, which agreement shall be evidenced in writing to the Player, Central Registry and the NHLPA, in accordance with Exhibit 3 hereof.
Here is the quote from the CBA itself about NMC, NTC. The acquiring team always has the say in whether they will continue the clause or not. I have also heard many GM,s say they will either continue the no trade or negate it after they have acquired a player.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:15 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
This is wrong.

If a player signs a contract with a NMC/NTC and is traded before the contract comes into play, then the new team does not have to honour the NMC/NTC. If the contract is in place at the time a trade is made the NMC/NTC go along with the player.

As such Smyth does indeed have a valid NMC>
Guys... unless someone wants to point out a clause in the CBA that deals specifically with NMC and NTC that specifies their governance, we are just speculating based on a few situations with (very likely) unique circumstances.

The legal language of the contract would prevail and we don't know how it would have been drafted.

Obviously in Smyth's case, there must have been some teeth to it, as LA inherited the contract by Colorado and Smyth then forced their hand.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:16 AM
jokerboysmith

Smyth to the Rangers makes to much sense.
Edmonton is brutal on D and NewYork has some good young defenders.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:16 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Here is the quote from the CBA itself about NMC, NTC. The acquiring team always has the say in whether they will continue the clause or not
If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club

You missed this part.

If a player that has a NTC/NMC waives it and gets traded, does he retain his NTC/NMC after the trade? [CBA Section 11.8]
-- Yes, the NTC/NMC remains in effect. The only way it is gone forever is if (A) the player has a NTC that has not vested [it has yet to come into effect when the player was traded], and (B) the acquiring team refuses to be bound by it [the team must make this decision at the time of the trade].

Old
02-03-2012, 10:18 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Maybe, but you need to remember outside of one year Smyth has never come close to winning. Him coming close again could change everything.
He wants to win and play in Edmonton. All he has to do is sign a 1-year deal and if the team is not where he thinks they should be the team will trade him again to a contender. Pull a Doug Weight/Keith Tkachuk

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:20 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
Here is the quote from the CBA itself about NMC, NTC. The acquiring team always has the say in whether they will continue the clause or not. I have also heard many GM,s say they will either continue the no trade or negate it after they have acquired a player.
There you go... thank you for the research.

This clause refers only to players not yet UFA eligible (which Smyth was already of UFA age).

The rationale for the clause (if you endulge my presumption) is that you can't give a non-UFA player, UFA-like rights. The "NTC" or "NMC" is a right negotiated by NHLPA on behalf of older guys, paid their dues and are UFA eligible. It allows them to negotiate a steadier life as family may start to play a role.

Unless there is specific language about NTC and NMC written into the CBA that addresses those player contracts entered into AFTER a player is already UFA-eligible, then I'd guess all flavours and permutations are permissible.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:21 AM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

I'll definitely take him. Playing road hockey growing up it was fun to play like like Holmstrom and Smyth. 35 isn't that bad either, but I doubt the Rangers have interest for anything after this season.

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerboysmith View Post
Smyth to the Rangers makes to much sense.
Edmonton is brutal on D and NewYork has some good young defenders.
Only defender available for Smyth would be Valentenko...

Rangers don't have much young depth on defense...Erixon is their best young dman not on the NHL team and is not available unless its for someone like Bobby Ryan...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:23 AM
bucks_oil

Quote:
If the Player is Traded or claimed on Waivers prior to the no-Trade or no-move clause taking effect, the clause does not bind the acquiring Club

You missed this part.

If a player that has a NTC/NMC waives it and gets traded, does he retain his NTC/NMC after the trade? [CBA Section 11.8]
-- Yes, the NTC/NMC remains in effect. The only way it is gone forever is if (A) the player has a NTC that has not vested [it has yet to come into effect when the player was traded], and (B) the acquiring team refuses to be bound by it [the team must make this decision at the time of the trade].
Again, this makes sense to me.... a player with an "unvested" NMC or NTC hasn't earned it. The acquiring team didn't choose the contractual terms, so they are not forced to honour it.

My guess is this drafted this way to stimulate player movement at a young age. A quid the NHLPA would have given up in negotiations in exchange for protection of its older members.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Only defender available for Smyth would be Valentenko...

Rangers don't have much young depth on defense...Erixon is their best young dman not on the NHL team and is not available unless its for someone like Bobby Ryan...
Im sure they would throw in Stu Bickel if everyone on D is healthy

Old
02-03-2012, 10:25 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Wow. What a ****** bag. Cries like a little baby when Edmonton won't cave to his contract demands and ship him off to New York. Then he signs in Colorado before being traded to LA where he ultimately makes a big stink about going "home" to Edmonton(why the **** didnt you just sign there instead of Colorado, or before the Islanders trade, ya idiot?) there by completely hand cuffing Dean Lombardi, ensuring that the Kings get screwed over with some crappy return that ends up highly contested and controversial. He's got his way, company loyalty be damned. Spineless slime. NOW AFTER ALL OF THAT HE WANTS TO GO BACK TO NEW YORK? What a ****ing idiot.