HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

MDZ Sophomore year vs John Carlson's

Old
02-02-2012, 10:07 PM
dahlenrules

vCash: 500
MDZ Sophomore year vs John Carlson's

Caps fan here coming in peace. Have a quick question for you guys: From what I remember, MDZ had a pretty horrible season last year, but has rebounded well so far this year.
My question is, just how bad was he last year? Did you want him traded for next to nothing, etc.

Right now John Carlson is in a pretty big Sophomore slump, and MDZ is one reason I haven't completely given up on him.

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Well he pretty much didn't play. Think he went down about half way through or a little more

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Kane One
Global Moderator
vBookie Bookie

vCash: 2500
Yeah there was a pretty fair amount of fans here who wanted him gone, and pretty much as the throw-in player in big trades.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

NHL Standings Under Different Point Systems
Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:21 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
He played like the dumbest player on the ice last year. His constant giveaways, lack of production and questionable decision-making landed him a spot down in Hartford.

Is Carlson really in that much of a slump? His stats indicate he's on pace for having as many points as he did in his rookie year despite playing on a lower-scoring team.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:23 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

He went back to the A. Ended up playing 47 games here. His defense was absolutely putrid. And his offense that we saw in his first year had gone down the toilet too. But these are young defensemen, and you have to be patient with them.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:30 PM
dahlenrules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
He played like the dumbest player on the ice last year. His constant giveaways, lack of production and questionable decision-making landed him a spot down in Hartford.

Is Carlson really in that much of a slump? His stats indicate he's on pace for having as many points as he did in his rookie year despite playing on a lower-scoring team.
Your description of MDZ sounds just like Carlson this year, except for the points. Carlson scores just enough to **** Caps fans off even more. He makes horrible decisions, and has been a pretty big liability every game.

dahlenrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlenrules View Post
Your description of MDZ sounds just like Carlson this year, except for the points. Carlson scores just enough to **** Caps fans off even more. He makes horrible decisions, and has been a pretty big liability every game.
MDZ did a complete 180 from last year.

I think Carlson will be fine.

Jabroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:16 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
I'm actually surprised. Carlson doesn't strike me as a guy who would go through a sophomore slump. MDZ had defensive problems dating back to juniors, while Carlson I believe was solid throughout his career, no? Blame the guy in the prospects thread that said he was twice better than MDZ. After that he went on a cold streak lol

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:41 PM
ColonialsHockey10

If there was one defenseman I wouldn't put too much weight into a sophomore slump, it's John Carlson. I'm sure the coaching change, the struggles and his captain not setting a good example are temporary factors effecting his play. Guy's a stud.

He still has no problem ******** on us.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:43 PM
smoneil

Del Zotto spent his limited time last season trying to figure out how to be a balanced defenseman. It was obvious that he was making more of an effort to be defensively responsible, but in doing so, he got away from playing his offensive game as well. They sent him down so that he could work on it without the pressure of being on the big club.

Staal did the same thing in reverse in his 3rd season (he made a concerted effort to add offense to his game, and his defense suffered for a bit while he figured it out).

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:21 AM
eco's bones

MDZ has just been all over forwards in the defensive end. He's making up for his lack of size with very aggressive gap control. Rangers backchecking forwards bailing him out on the occasions where he's beaten in one on one battles.

Some of it is coaching--some of it is the way the teams are designed. Caps are much more offensive minded. Rangers more defense orientated. And then there is Lundqvist.

I think Carlson is going to be an excellent player--more than probably a 1st pairing guy but he isn't ready to be his team's best d-man any more than Del Zotto is--and when you're missing your most important d-man asking such a young player to fill the vacuum is almost always asking too much. The Rangers have a bunch of shutdown guys (Staal, Girardi, McDonagh, Sauer) helping Del Zotto find a comfort level. I don't see those kind of d-men on the Caps.

And then there is Tortorella.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Carlson was my pick in that draft, I think he'll be fine.

MDZ was putrid at times last year. There were a few games where you wondered why he was playing pro hockey.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:35 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Caps fan here coming in peace. Have a quick question for you guys: From what I remember, MDZ had a pretty horrible season last year, but has rebounded well so far this year.
My question is, just how bad was he last year? Did you want him traded for next to nothing, etc.

Right now John Carlson is in a pretty big Sophomore slump, and MDZ is one reason I haven't completely given up on him.
???

Carlson is on pace to better last seasons numbers by a point. He's got 6 goals on the season (7 in 82 games last year)

Defensively he's taken a step back, but so has the whole team.

This is no slump.

When you get to a point where Carlson doesn't belong playing in the NHL and needs to be sent to the minors, THAT would be similar to MDZ from last season.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 09:25 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

I saw a stat about Carlson a few days ago. He was on ice for 42 of the 67 goals allowed by the Caps under Dale Hunter who was his coach in London. Carlson isn't doing much to help his group II credentials this summer.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote