HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jerred Smithson

View Poll Results: What is Smithson's future with this team?
keep him, he plays his role well 9 19.15%
get rid of him, he does more harm than good 28 59.57%
i'm indifferent, he is a 4th liner and has no effect 10 21.28%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-03-2012, 10:39 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VFL615 View Post
Do they stink as bad as he does though?
Smitty when you do make it on the ice do not take a stupid penalty when you know the refs are already geared to screw that team from the south that doesnt belong.

When is the Klein poll coming out? Watch most of the good scoring chances other teams have and you will more than likely see #8 involved. Two goals would have been 100% his fault last night if Lindback didnt make a great save on one.
I understand Smithson got a penalty and things got slowed down for everyone to see but dang just watch when Klein is on the ice. Yes, he does make the occassional good play but he makes 10 mistakes to evey one good play.
That's not remotely true.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:47 AM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
That's not remotely true.
Really? Klein ALONE got undressed Tue and gave up a goal. Klein ALONE on Thur got undressed and gave up a goal. Sure he is not the only D man to get beat or get scored on. Ask Suter after last night. However if you pay attention to the games or even watch them?? Most of the GOOD scoring chances from another team come with Klein looking lost or in the action of making up for being in bad position. Watch the tapes a little closer bud.

VFL615* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Preds311

Had to laugh at the "conspiracy" of refs toward a southern team. Really? lol

Preds311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Really? Klein ALONE got undressed Tue and gave up a goal. Klein ALONE on Thur got undressed and gave up a goal. Sure he is not the only D man to get beat or get scored on. Ask Suter after last night. However if you pay attention to the games or even watch them?? Most of the GOOD scoring chances from another team come with Klein looking lost or in the action of making up for being in bad position. Watch the tapes a little closer bud.
Should have stopped after bolded. Selective memory. Klein is a freaking bargain for what how is playing and what we pay him. Klein has done that move that failed last night several times this season and when it works he is the greatest defenseman in the world. Then the one time it fails and ends badly all of a sudden he is the worst. Klein is definitely the new whipping boy. People are just looking for something, anything with him.

As far as Smithson goes this team has simply outgrown him. When he goes on any line that line instantly turns from a 2 way line to a checking line because he kills any and all offense. For a team that relies so much on depth scoring this just can't be the case. Get him out of there ASAP.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I also have to disagree with the Klein hate. Yeah he gets beat. As VLF said, every defenseman gets beat. Weber and Suter have entire games where they both play poorly, and they are two of the best defensemen in the entire league playing together. However, Klein is out there against the top players for each team. He will be made to look bad sometimes. Usually, though, he is solid. The nights Klein plays well he goes unnoticed, and that's really the way it should be for a defensive defenseman. The night Klein makes some mistakes, those mistakes are the only thing people will remember because the rest of the time he was quietly doing his job correctly.

I already gave my opinion on Smithson. He has his uses, but he is certainly looking less and less like the useful Smithson of years past.

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:15 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
At some point Smith was 10-0 on the dot last night; not sure what he finished. Spals passed Smithson last year in terms of overall value and has grown more this year. Fish is generally good on the dot.

As the perma-scratch Smithson can stay; the above pretty much illustrates why Smithson no longer brings value to the regular lineup.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:37 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

If his role is occasional fill in/veteran mentor/press box presence, I think he is perfect.

otherwise, I hope we were showcasing him for the waiver wire.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Everlong
-

I see no problem with him being a healthy scratch. Adds some physical play and faceoff ability off the bench. I don't want to see him in the lineup every game.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds311 View Post
Had to laugh at the "conspiracy" of refs toward a southern team. Really? lol
Glad you got a laugh! Did you watch the game last night for example? Preds on the road vs an accepted NHL team. BS call on Suter when he is trying to clear the puck with a scramble infront of the net. It deflects off of another player and goes into the stands. PENALTY. Really! show me where they call this on any other team in the same situation. Situation #2 just from last night. I cannot remember which player but one of are guys was very clearly tripped by i think Hartnell infront of the net RIGHT INFRONT of the ref and the ref did nothing and looked away. Watch the game and the replay of both.

Also Hornquist is constantly beat on infront of the net thrown down, punched, slashed, you name it and nothing is EVER called. However if you watch the game last night when are guys defend lindy two people from each team get sent to the box.

Every game just about especially on the road their is a shady penalty called on the Preds. You know how a lot of people in Canada and other hockey markets feel about Nashville and hockey in the south. Do you think the officials are from Cuba?
I know it is not because Nashville is in the South just figure of speech for the way other people feel about Nashville whether you like you or not.

Those examples are just from last night. I have watched every preds game this year (have been to about 10 of them in person). I have seen the bs and watched the replays. It is truly sickening sometimes.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:45 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Should have stopped after bolded. Selective memory. Klein is a freaking bargain for what how is playing and what we pay him. Klein has done that move that failed last night several times this season and when it works he is the greatest defenseman in the world. Then the one time it fails and ends badly all of a sudden he is the worst. Klein is definitely the new whipping boy. People are just looking for something, anything with him.

As far as Smithson goes this team has simply outgrown him. When he goes on any line that line instantly turns from a 2 way line to a checking line because he kills any and all offense. For a team that relies so much on depth scoring this just can't be the case. Get him out of there ASAP.
No i do not have selective memory. When you watch the games and watch how he plays it is pretty clear. This is not the first time he has been the punching bag and it will not be the last. Klein cannot even sniff the best defenseman's jock strap and has never been anything but bottom average at best to me.
Like i have said before he has been here almost as long as Suter and Weber an Ellis and Josi have clearly passed him over. Time to go to the 3rd line or get gone.

Last edited by TMI: 02-03-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: No need for that
Old
02-03-2012, 03:51 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

As far as officiating goes, fans of every team will say the refs screwed them in a fair amount of games over a season. There is no conspiracy against Nashville. Most hockey fans in Canada are glad Nashville is successful, and they continually give accolades to the team, its management, and its fans. Bad calls happen. Poor officiating has been a constant theme of discussion around the entire NHL for a few seasons now. It isn't because of where the team is located.

With that said, this thread is about Jerred Smithson and not officiating. Let's get 'er back on track, shall we?

Old
02-03-2012, 04:00 PM
NoNecksCurse

I honestly am sick of smithson... all he does is hinder this team.. his time is up

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
I honestly am sick of smithson... all he does is hinder this team.. his time is up
How long have you been having these feelings?

Old
02-03-2012, 04:04 PM
darth5
Rowsdower!

Quote:
I'm fully appreciative of Smithson's contributions in the past. He's been a good defensive center, good faceoff man, all around foot soldier.

With that said, even ignoring last night's fiasco, he's not been an effective player this year. He's been a penalty machine(leads the team in minors,) and when he's not in the box, hasn't been the same player on the PK as he was in the past. I think he's been completely surpassed by Spaling, who not only has become a better PKer, but has more offensive ability(not saying much.)

When healthy, and going forward with any TD additions, Smithson shouldn't be looked at as any every night player.
Well said, I voted indifferent because he could serve as a depth role player perma-scratch. Spaling and perhaps even Halischuk are an upgrade vs. Smitty.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:42 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
How long have you been having these feelings?
to this extent... 2-3 years

Old
02-03-2012, 05:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
No i do not have selective memory. When you watch the games and watch how he plays it is pretty clear. This is not the first time he has been the punching bag and it will not be the last. Klein cannot even sniff the best defenseman's jock strap and has never been anything but bottom average at best to me.
Like i have said before he has been here almost as long as Suter and Weber an Ellis and Josi have clearly passed him over. Time to go to the 3rd line or get gone.
Ellis has passed him?

Talk to me when Ellis isn't more protected than Franson. Klein plays the "hardest" minutes on the team--more so than Suter and Weber actually, and right up there with Hamhuis in his last couple of seasons.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:37 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Ellis has passed him?

Talk to me when Ellis isn't more protected than Franson. Klein plays the "hardest" minutes on the team--more so than Suter and Weber actually, and right up there with Hamhuis in his last couple of seasons.
Have an argument when Ellis gets beat one on one almost everynight like Klein does.
Lol so Klein plays harder minutes than Weber and Suter? Wow ok!

Old
02-03-2012, 05:41 PM
VFL615*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
As far as officiating goes, fans of every team will say the refs screwed them in a fair amount of games over a season. There is no conspiracy against Nashville. Most hockey fans in Canada are glad Nashville is successful, and they continually give accolades to the team, its management, and its fans. Bad calls happen. Poor officiating has been a constant theme of discussion around the entire NHL for a few seasons now. It isn't because of where the team is located.

With that said, this thread is about Jerred Smithson and not officiating. Let's get 'er back on track, shall we?
Sure bad calls happen i agree. However, the bad calls you are refering to rarely happen against other teams we are playing. Last one was when SK wacked Fisher in the face and they called the penalty on the other team.

Just want to get back to something third man. How many games have you been to in person this year? Also how many entire games have you watched on T.V. or stream this year? Be honest.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:27 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Ellis has passed him?

Ellis must have passed Klein on the way to Starbucks.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 06:35 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

It's normal for a discussion of one player to branch off into discussions of other players. Usually it is for comparison's sake. This Kevin Klein stuff is taking over the thread, so can you all do me a favor and take it over here? http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1097373

Old
02-03-2012, 06:44 PM
NoNecksCurse

I wonder if smithson will be re signed after his current contract. guesses? I dont see why we would

Old
02-03-2012, 06:53 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I don't think Smithson is re-signed, but that opinion changes depending on if a trade is made and who is lost in that trade.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:57 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
I wonder if smithson will be re signed after his current contract. guesses? I dont see why we would
With the regression in his game over the past three seasons or so, there is no reason to keep him beyond this contract. He's gone from very good at the dot and an solid PKer who could play defense at ES ... to a good at the dot guy and OK PKer .... to this year a guy who is only effective at the dot and takes too many penalties when he does get on the ice. He's taking more PIMs per 60mins of ice time than McGrattan and is effectively playing himself into a permascratch / tradebait for a 6th rounder / waiver bait role.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 01:15 AM
sparkle twin
Real Deal

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
I like Smithson. He has been one of my favorites for a long time. Yes the young guys can/do learn from him. No, not offensively, but off the ice and in the locker room about how to be a good pro everyday and take care of themselves.

That said, I think the young guys have/are passing him and are forcing him out of his spot. I would be sad to see him go and would miss him but understand that there comes a point when the young guys pass up the vets. And unfortunately this season looks like the last for Smithson.

He is signed through next season at only 800K so maybe if he is offered in a package he could get an extra pick thrown in the deal.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 02:03 PM
NoNecksCurse

happy birthday to the baby face scarecrow... hopefully this is the last one you spend in a predators uniform