HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Ford acquired from Washington in trade for Kevin Marshall

Old
02-03-2012, 10:30 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
If Marshall sucks so much and has zero future, why would Washington want him?

And why are you imagining that he looked bad during his short NHL stint?

He didn't look great and he didn't look better than Bourdon, but he was certainly decent to expect something in the future and he was certainly better than Walker, Lilja, and Bartulis.

You made a bet in the spirit that Marshall would never be a decent NHLer. What makes you think that he won't? I could tell you what he has to overcome to become a consistent NHLer still, but you probably couldn't. You're too focused on some petty nonsense that doesn't even really matter.

If this is all some quest where you can prove you could do my job better than me, I don't really care, but you might want to start by getting things right instead of skewing reality and over-exaggerating situations.
Like Go For It has said, Washington wanted him because they had too many forwards and needed defenseman.

And I'm not imagining that he looked bad...he did look bad. He can't handle the speed or size of the players in the NHL. That's why I don't expect him to turn into a legit NHLer.

And no, this isnt my "quest" to prove that I can do your job better then yourself. You do a pretty good job yourself proving that you cant even do your own job here with some of the things you say.

With that being said, I'm done with this conversation

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:33 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Like Go For It has said, Washington wanted him because they had too many forwards and needed defenseman.
I don't buy that it was only an AHL depth decision for them when they decided to acquire a 22-year-old defenseman with NHL experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
And I'm not imagining that he looked bad...he did look bad. He can't handle the speed or size of the players in the NHL. That's why I don't expect him to turn into a legit NHLer.
He handled the size and the speed of the players themselves when defending them, but he couldn't handle the speed of the game itself. He had problems moving the puck.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:47 AM
thelos
Bunk

His puck skills were worse than Lilja by a considerable margin.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 10:56 AM
Larry44

Quote:
?
Marshall (traded for nothing)
They got full value for him. And the added benefit of having room for Gus or Bourdon on the Phantoms after the deadline acquisition.

I would not be surprised, after Lilja's strong game last night, to see him starting the playoffs over Gus too, depending on the size vs. speed of a potential opponent.

Lilja's better than you give him credit for.

The team has been playing better with a big body lineup at F, i.e. including Sestito even over Harry Z and Rinaldo at times.

Oh, will Zac finally make it into the top 20 prospects this year, or has he played too many NHL games as starter to qualify?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:02 AM
thelos
Bunk

Lilja is fine as a 7, he just gets burnt out when he plays a lot of games. Good to alternate him and Gus down the stretch

Old
02-03-2012, 11:08 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Eh, Lilja isnt too good, stats and watching him play show it. That being said he is better than Marshall. Marshall DID NOT look that good during his stint. He was average to below average.

I wouldnt be surprised if we sign a d-man before the deadline and go with a vet group with Gustafsson and Bourdon in the wings ready to go if someone is hurt. No one has been saying anything, but Bourdon has actually been pretty bad in the past 10 or so games. I hope they give him a rest.

@Chris.

This is a Phantoms move man, with Marshall being the oddman out. They must think Kessel/Laud are as close to the NHL as Marshall was, so they filled a need at offense for the Phantoms, another vet scorer. Going into next season, they have on defense:

Gustafsson/Bourdon (you would think one would be on the NHL roster)
Kessel
Lauridsen
Manning
Bartulis
Walker
Jancevski/vet
Eddy
Hostetter

They have way to many defenders, alot of them as good or better than Marshall.

Next season on offense, the phantoms have alot of free agents, the year after even more. Testwuide, Holmstrom, Kalinski, Rowe are going to need contracts. Then Hamel is probably going to retire. Luckily Noebels and Ranford will hopefully be making the jump to make up for losing most likely Kalinski and Rowe. With Ford as an addition, Hamel can now retire if needed.

This is all when the Phantoms are looked at they NEED to make the playoffs this season.

Last edited by sa cyred: 02-03-2012 at 11:18 AM.
sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:10 AM
thelos
Bunk

Neither Bourdon nor Gus have been very good lately. But they are rookies, and they are still way better than Marshall

Old
02-03-2012, 11:20 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
Neither Bourdon nor Gus have been very good lately. But they are rookies, and they are still way better than Marshall
And they gave Gustafsson a break. I think Bourdon is needs one.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The guy on Poststar.com said it was mainly to free up playing time for the kids on the Phantoms, and to add some needed scoring from the wings.

Also, beside the glut of D already with the Phantoms, the Flyers are going to add at least one more veteran Dman, possibly two depending how big their contracts are.

Gus and/or Bourdon are going down after the trade deadline.

Marshall was 9th or 10th on the depth chart before any deadline acquisitions and clearly not in the team's plans, and if we need vet depth because of a rash of injuries in the playoffs, Walker, Bartulis, Kessel etc. are capable of being called up.

Homer gauged his value and found out it was....nada.

Timonen-Coburn
Carle-NEW D
Lilja-Meszaros
Gustafsson-Bourdon
2nd NEW D?
Bartulis-Walker
Marshall......
Well said. Now can we move on? I cannot believe this is even a debate.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:26 AM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yeah Bourdon could definitely use some time to watch. The reason he hasn't yet, I would guess, is that they don't want Carle playing with Gus or Lilja. Carle needs to play with someone with muscle as we know he barely has any

Old
02-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I agree. Really I think MAB should stay down the rest of the year until the playoffs are here.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
from what I understand Washington/Hershey has a lot of injuries on the blueline. it was a need for need thing. The Phantoms need a forward who can put the puck in the net and Hershey needed a blueliner.
I am not going to get worked up over this, he wasnt going to play here. Many feel he is at best a fill in guy at the NHL level.
What are you going to get for that? maybe future consiterations.
Yes Lilja sucks. Marshall wasnt much better.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I can't believe some people are getting upset about this. Marshall is a fringe NHLer. If the Flyers really need another fringe NHLer they will have no problem getting one, either from the Phantoms or trading (GASP!) another fringe NHLer.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 11:41 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I can't believe some people are getting upset about this. Marshall is a fringe NHLer. If the Flyers really need another fringe NHLer they will have no problem getting one, either from the Phantoms or trading (GASP!) another fringe NHLer.
Its honestly only 1 person.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:46 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Its honestly only 1 person.
I'm not upset about that.

I'm annoyed that somebody cares enough to attack for thinking Marshall could be a solid bottom pairing shut-down defenseman given another year or so to develop.

Frankly, we have a ton of other defensive prospects. It's not a big deal if Holmgren likes Lauridsen, Kessel, and Manning moving forward.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:56 AM
thelos
Bunk

You have to be able to play the puck to stay in the NHL as a D man. Ask Ryan Parent

Old
02-03-2012, 11:59 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

How are they developing? I'm especially interested Blake Kessel.

Chris?

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:07 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
How are they developing? I'm especially interested Blake Kessel.

Chris?
Kessel is the one playing better than expected. He's really had to take over for Gustafsson, and though he isn't racking up points like Gustafsson did, it's still early in his pro career. He's less defensively sure than Gus was coming in, but he's just as dynamic. The thing that concerns me when comparing the two is that Gus always seemed more in control of things while Kessel seems to like to take more risks.

Lauridsen is steady but still sluggish.

Manning is the guy the organization really seems to like, but it's hard to get a read on him. He started the year hurt, and I don't think the after effects are completely gone. Plus he's another young guy comparatively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serge11 View Post
You have to be able to play the puck to stay in the NHL as a D man. Ask Ryan Parent
Parent made due honestly. He was decent with the puck (which is much better than Marshall was) and outstanding positionally. The problems for Parent came with injury. He lost a step, his control and, with that, his ability to develop into a solid shut-down defenseman.

Marshall is still young, but you can already tell he won't reach the height that Parent reached. Barring injury I don't think Marshall will ever hit the low Parent hit either.

Parent's story really is kind of depressing.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Kessel played like that at UNH, would take a ton of risky pinches and sometimes he got burnt other times it worked out.
I still think it was a good low risk signing.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:13 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Kessel is the one playing better than expected. He's really had to take over for Gustafsson, and though he isn't racking up points like Gustafsson did, it's still early in his pro career. He's less defensively sure than Gus was coming in, but he's just as dynamic. The thing that concerns me when comparing the two is that Gus always seemed more in control of things while Kessel seems to like to take more risks.

Lauridsen is steady but still sluggish.

Manning is the guy the organization really seems to like, but it's hard to get a read on him. He started the year hurt, and I don't think the after effects are completely gone. Plus he's another young guy comparatively.

Parent made due honestly. He was decent with the puck (which is much better than Marshall was) and outstanding positionally. The problems for Parent came with injury. He lost a step, his control and, with that, his ability to develop into a solid shut-down defenseman.

Marshall is still young, but you can already tell he won't reach the height that Parent reached. Barring injury I don't think Marshall will ever hit the low Parent hit either.

Parent's story really is kind of depressing.
Just curious, how do you get all this information? Do you get to see these guys play a lot? Would be a cool job.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 07:14 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well Phantoms are playing right now.About 10 left in 2nd period. Their winning 2-1, goals by McGinn and Ford.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

go for Calder! Don´t understand the move... ahl is ahl.....

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...rade&x_id=2240

Quote:
Thursday, February 02, 2012
CAPS ADD MARSHALL FROM PHILLY

The Washington Capitals acquired defenseman Kevin Marshall from the Philadelphia Flyers for winger Matthew Ford.

What does it give the Washington Capitals?
Marshall spent some time with the Flyers earlier in the season, and he's considered a decent NHL prospect. He might not see a lot of time in D.C. this season, but could carve out a place along the Washington blueline in 2012-13. Otherwise, he provides excellent depth.

What does it give the Philadelphia Flyers?
The Flyers gave Marshall a look earlier in the campaign but decided to give up on him at this time. In Ford, they receive a journeyman winger who should be a solid addition to the Adirondack Phantoms (AHL) lineup. That said, he won't do much for the NHL club.

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:41 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
The people here who don't think of Marshall as an NHL prospect are just being absurd. Seriously, it defies logic.

He may not be a future star, but he's definitely a solid prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slap Happy View Post
Just curious, how do you get all this information? Do you get to see these guys play a lot? Would be a cool job.
I watch a lot of games, read a lot of articles, sometimes try to do interviews though I'm currently in the middle of nowhere, talk to other HF writers, pay attention to HF in general.

Old
02-04-2012, 12:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Marshall was a guy who looked good in a few games but ultimately he no better than a fringe player. A bit tough to swallow since we traded up into the 2nd round (with the Capitals) for Marshall and the Flyers didn't even see it fit to finish his entry-level deal. If Holmgren didn't completely botch the defensemen depth chart in October (keeping Walker over Bartulis, and then waiving Walker), Marshall would have never even made it to the NHL for us. Maybe we'll get lucky with this Ford fellow.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote