HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

Jets vs. Panthers | Feb 3rd | 6:30 CT / 7:30 ET | Bro Wars Edition III

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-03-2012, 11:29 AM
  #76
Winnipeg Jets
Lucky #7
 
Winnipeg Jets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Selkirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,186
vCash: 1580
God damnit I'm going to miss this one unfortunately.

I wish the team luck, every game they play now is very critical to them making the playoffs. Make this a clean 2 point night for the good guys and we'll be right on track to extend our season.

Winnipeg Jets is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:30 AM
  #77
Tdoe42
Registered User
 
Tdoe42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,115
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Noel et al. want to teach Burmistrov how to play the right way. Although I agree he does create alot of offense when given the right linemates, he also tends to negate that contribution with sloppy turnovers at the blueline and half-boards. There's been a good emphasis on puck possession with solid support, and I find Burmi really severs his support with his wild entries in the zone. For all his struggles, Fehr at least seems to be getting this concept, and is playing a more direct 'point A to point B' game that Burmi really needs to get better at.

Having said all that, burying him on the 4th line with Gagnon and Mittens is just a waste. At the very least, they should be shuffling him and Fehr in and out of that 2nd line spot.
He is on the 4th line I agree but the minutes he is getting is far from being buried

http://jets.nhl.com/club/player.htm?...2&view=gamelog

This has too be a development tactic. Give him good minutes playing a defensive role and just wait for him to take over offensively until the club has no choice but too play him in a top 6 role.

Tdoe42 is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:34 AM
  #78
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Do you mean early in the season when the Jets were playing an unstructured - freewheeling game and when the forwards weren't bothering with the little details like actually checking the other team when they had the puck, and when their won/loss record was horrid? Then?

My theory is that Burmistrov fell off the map at the precise moment when he was required to pay attention to the defensive side of the five on five game.
No actually because Burmistrov, Antro and Wellwood were separated before that collapse.

I was referring to the month of October where the Jets played 11 games in which Burmi had 3 goals, 6 assists and was a +2.

Antropov also had 10 points that month and Wellwood had 8.

Fast forward to the beginning of November when they started their line tweaking which had Kane on the line with Antro and Burmi. The team itself may have been still playing well but Antro's numbers dropped to 5 points and Burmi with 2.

We all know the biggest issue with this team is their offense now that the Jets finally have a top 6 healthy D core, why not try to go back to where it began to maybe get something from another line that doesn't have Wheeler on it.

Lynk is online now  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
  #79
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant
 
Gump Hasek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,732
vCash: 1350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Which is also why Noel is consistently giving him top PK minutes? Or is that just to develope his defensive game? And which is why the commentators for various teams often is praising his defensive game?

If you were attacking his offensive game, talking about how he has to distribute the puck instead of deking himself into trouble I might listen to you, but as of now, I think you're just full of crap when you're talking about him.
Five on five hockey is different than PK; pk requires good puck pursuit and that is a strength of his. Unfortunately, Burmistrov giving the puck away softly when five on five is a weakness.

Gump Hasek is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:36 AM
  #80
mzappa
Jets fans in space
 
mzappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 50
HAHAHAAAAAaA

Han, mah bukee, keel-ee caleya ku kah. Wanta dah moole-rah? Wonkee chee sa crispa con Greedo?

(Translation: Something about poor journalism)


Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Gary Lawless is going to be pissed you used his likeness in the last picture.

mzappa is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:37 AM
  #81
mzappa
Jets fans in space
 
mzappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 50
I totally want to party with this guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Time once again to summon up the spirit of Rad Jets Guy for some good mojo this evening...



"Whoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!" ~ Rad Jets Guy

mzappa is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:39 AM
  #82
Romang67
BitterSwede
 
Romang67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Illinois
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,991
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
Five on five hockey is different than PK; pk requires good puck pursuit and that is a strength of his. Unfortunately, Burmistrov giving the puck away softly when five on five is a weakness.
I would argue that that is more of a weakness in his offensive game than his defensive, even though I see where you're coming from. My comment was more directed on your statement that he was bad at covering passing lanes with his stick, which according to me is dead wrong.

I'm off to the gym now though, so you'll have to discuss it with someone else.

Romang67 is online now  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:41 AM
  #83
mzappa
Jets fans in space
 
mzappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 50
I love it how there are already 4 pages of posts for this game and its not even noon.

However, there is a serious lack of MS Paint so far....just sayin'....

mzappa is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM
  #84
IMckay
Registered User
 
IMckay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 261
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post
Which you may be right, but there are a select few on the roster being given undeserved opportunities when Burmistrov has not.

Miettinen has been given PP time since he got here and has done nothing with it and yet once again was on the point for the man advantage last night.

Fehr has been given every opportunity possible and although he created a few chances last night in the 1st period, I saw nothing from him in the 2nd or 3rd and yet he is still given chances in the top 6.

We need to remember that this team scored 2 goals in 65 minutes last night and 1 goal in 65 minutes the night before, we could've just as easily lost these last 2 games and this board mentality would've been a lot different than it is right now. This is not a recipe for consistent success.

If they're going to preach hard work and putting everyone where they deserve then it needs to be done throughout the entire roster imo. I'm hoping what Guerzy said is right that they're trying to handle Burmi a la Seguin style which pays off in the end because right now he just looks out of sorts.
I agree you with about Mittens and Fehr. It sometimes annoys me seeing them get their chances instead of Burmi too. But I think we have to consider something: Mittens and Fehr are both guys that have huge question marks regarding their future with the Jets. Fehr is an RFA that we may not qualify if we don't see anything from him. Mittens was a free pickup that in the past has had some offensive capability (35+ pts last 4 seasons) but hasn't found anything here in Winnipeg. I think they are getting their opportunities now as a last-chance type thing to see if we can get anything from these guys before their fates are sealed.

With Burmi, there is no question that he is part of our future. He doesn't need to be given opportunities to see if he's worth keeping around. And I do think it's good for his development to really hone on the defensive side of the game first. Especially with his offensive creativity - we can take some time and let him develop and become a confident player at both ends of the rink. He's not going anywhere

IMckay is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:48 AM
  #85
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Pavelec4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
I love it how there are already 4 pages of posts for this game and its not even noon.

However, there is a serious lack of MS Paint so far....just sayin'....
lol
I was just working on it haha


__________________
Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
Pavelec4MVP is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
  #86
Holden Caulfield
Moderator
Perennial Skeptic
 
Holden Caulfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMckay View Post
I agree you with about Mittens and Fehr. It sometimes annoys me seeing them get their chances instead of Burmi too. But I think we have to consider something: Mittens and Fehr are both guys that have huge question marks regarding their future with the Jets. Fehr is an RFA that we may not qualify if we don't see anything from him. Mittens was a free pickup that in the past has had some offensive capability (35+ pts last 4 seasons) but hasn't found anything here in Winnipeg. I think they are getting their opportunities now as a last-chance type thing to see if we can get anything from these guys before their fates are sealed.

With Burmi, there is no question that he is part of our future. He doesn't need to be given opportunities to see if he's worth keeping around. And I do think it's good for his development to really hone on the defensive side of the game first. Especially with his offensive creativity - we can take some time and let him develop and become a confident player at both ends of the rink. He's not going anywhere
If this is at all what is going through Noel's head about these decisions, he should be fired right ****ing now. Noel is the one making the decisions about who plays and with us still right in the playoff hunt, he needs to be putting the best team he possibly can out on the ice every night. Not worrying about guy's "last chances" or whatnot. If we are eliminated from playoffs, different story. Right now, best player plays, no questions asked.

Also, Mittens is not only signed for next season with a NTC, but at 1.5 million. Even if he does waive that NTC, we'd have to find somebody who wanted him at that price right now. I doubt he gets moved before next season.

__________________


Holden Caulfield is online now  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:50 AM
  #87
Stej
Good Canadian Kid!
 
Stej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: The Kirk
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
I agree this is not a developmental league, but it can be a delicate balancing act having a guy as talented as Burmi buried on the 4th line for long stretches. Confidence implications and all. I certainly don't want to suck the creativity out of him because that could result in a much lower ceiling. He just flat out needs to protect the puck a little better and he'll be fine. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about whether this is the best path for his development.

Stej is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:54 AM
  #88
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stej View Post
I agree this is not a developmental league, but it can be a delicate balancing act having a guy as talented as Burmi buried on the 4th line for long stretches. Confidence implications and all. I certainly don't want to suck the creativity out of him because that could result in a much lower ceiling. He just flat out needs to protect the puck a little better and he'll be fine. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried about whether this is the best path for his development.
That's what I'm trying to get at.

There are so many other guys in the locker room who should be in Burmi's place and yet he's always the one that gets demoted while multiple others continue with their futility.

It's been like that all year so that has to wear on his confidence, and we all know how important confidence is to a hockey player (see Blake Wheeler).

Lynk is online now  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:55 AM
  #89
mzappa
Jets fans in space
 
mzappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 50
awesome.

you do know i collect all these, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
lol
I was just working on it haha


mzappa is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:55 AM
  #90
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes
 
Turbofan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,163
vCash: 50
Besides protecting the puck, he needs to work on his shot, and most of all his passing and vision which are just kinda 'meh'. Offense isn't just about being able to dangle.

Also put on 10lbs of muscle.

Turbofan is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:56 AM
  #91
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Pavelec4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
awesome.

you do know i collect all these, eh?
I say you posted that a few GDT's ago haha

Why are you keeping them?

Are you producing a book about how remedial Winnipeg's jets fans are haha

Pavelec4MVP is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:56 AM
  #92
peg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 433
vCash: 50
When Kane gets back, who could be moved off of the top two lines to make room for Burmi? Wheeler, Ladd, Little, Antropov, Wellwood, Kane??? Unless someone gets hot playing on the fourth line, I think this is pretty well set.

peg is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:57 AM
  #93
Lynk
Registered Bro
 
Lynk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 15,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I say you posted taht a few GDT's ago haha

Why are you keeping them?

Are you producing a book about how remedial Winnipeg's jets fans are haha
Maybe he's Robin Williams from that movie where he was a photo developer.

Lynk is online now  
Old
02-03-2012, 11:59 AM
  #94
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist
 
BigTuna49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ATL
Country: Egypt
Posts: 22,925
vCash: 1165
Burmi's game started to go downhill because he had to start paying attention to the defensive side of the game more? Wow. What would make anyone think?

BigTuna49 is online now  
Old
02-03-2012, 12:01 PM
  #95
mzappa
Jets fans in space
 
mzappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 50
one day, many centuries from now, when humankind has long left this Earth...

alien archaeologists will find two things:

1. Twinkies
2. MS Paint.

so consider it your duty for humanity to make more MS Paint, its timeless.


Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I say you posted that a few GDT's ago haha

Why are you keeping them?

Are you producing a book about how remedial Winnipeg's jets fans are haha

mzappa is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 12:03 PM
  #96
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Pavelec4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
one day, many centuries from now, when humankind has long left this Earth...

alien archaeologists will find two things:

1. Twinkies
2. MS Paint.

so consider it your duty for humanity to make more MS Paint, its timeless.
lol awesome!

There the new signature is working!

Pavelec4MVP is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 12:04 PM
  #97
Pavelec4MVP
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
Pavelec4MVP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 30,763
vCash: 50
was working

Pavelec4MVP is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 12:07 PM
  #98
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug
 
Tom ServoMST3K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,644
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post


The calm before the 6 goal storm.
Help us obi wan, you are our only hope

And this


Tom ServoMST3K is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 12:10 PM
  #99
OurHometown
HFB Partner
 
OurHometown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 299
vCash: 500
Below is a link to the Game Day Preview of tonight's game by Jeff Stevenson

The Panthers and Jets have played three times this year and two of those games have been 4-3 shoot out wins and while I think the Jets have a chance to break their back to back curse I have to go with a 4-3 Panthers win… via the shoot out.

Winnipeg Jets 3 – Florida Panthers 4 (SO)

READ MORE...
http://www.ourhometown.ca/sports/WW0009.php


OurHometown is offline  
Old
02-03-2012, 12:10 PM
  #100
IMckay
Registered User
 
IMckay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 261
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
If this is at all what is going through Noel's head about these decisions, he should be fired right ****ing now. Noel is the one making the decisions about who plays and with us still right in the playoff hunt, he needs to be putting the best team he possibly can out on the ice every night. Not worrying about guy's "last chances" or whatnot. If we are eliminated from playoffs, different story. Right now, best player plays, no questions asked.

Also, Mittens is not only signed for next season with a NTC, but at 1.5 million. Even if he does waive that NTC, we'd have to find somebody who wanted him at that price right now. I doubt he gets moved before next season.
Why should Noel be fired for trying something that may get two guys that are producing nothing right now to start producing offensively? Don't you think if Mittens of Fehr started producing and put up 8-10 pts in their next 20 games that that would help out the team? Both of them have shown in their careers to be able to produce decently, but for some reason aren't with the Jets.

Burmi only has 1pts in his last 12 games, even when he was playing top line minutes. He hasn't shown anything so far to prove that he even could outproduce Fehr or Mittens. Since Fehr has been back, Burmi has only put up 5 points in that entire time, while getting significantly more ice time.

While Mittens is decent defensively, Fehr is absolutely useless to the team if he isn't producing any offense. Burmi is very useful defensively, so Noel may be better off trying to get Fehr producing so he can add something to the team.

Note: I am in no way saying Fehr (or Mittens) are better than Burmi, I love Burmi. I'm just saying you are acting like Burmi is a huge offensive threat and Noel should be fired for even considering putting someone else on the PP or giving them opportunities. He isn't.

IMckay is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.