HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Everything Scott Gomez: The Official Discussion

Old
02-03-2012, 12:45 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
The sad part is that even if he wants to go, there's no way we can grant that request.
The guys would be crazy to retire with so much money on the table... But how will he react when forced to play at AHL level ?

Can he be sent to a European team, like in Switzerland or Sweden, like Chicago have done with Huet ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:50 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
The guys would be crazy to retire with so much money on the table... But how will he react when forced to play at AHL level ?

Can he be sent to a European team, like in Switzerland or Sweden, like Chicago have done with Huet ?
he can be sent if Gomez and the habs wants to.

Huet preferred to play in Europe instead AHL. His salary is still paid by the blackhawks

I'm unsure if you can call him back though

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:50 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Theo Fleury has always been a great player and never stopped producing. He battled off ice problems, not production.
Gomez can't produce squat right now. This is probably Gomez's last NHL season. I don't think any team will want him, even at the league's minimum.
It definately is not his last season in the NHL. He can produce at a 3rd line rate and his good in his own zone. All that while being a leader a good locker room guy.

The thing with Gomez is that expect him to produce as a top6 player because of his contract. Hell, I wouldn't be against resigning him next season whe. His contract is off the cap hit. But I wouldn't know where to put him in the lineup as eller dd and plek are all above him.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
windycity

maybe the Rangers will take him back for McDonagh . . .

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
It definately is not his last season in the NHL. He can produce at a 3rd line rate and his good in his own zone. All that while being a leader a good locker room guy.

The thing with Gomez is that expect him to produce as a top6 player because of his contract. Hell, I wouldn't be against resigning him next season whe. His contract is off the cap hit. But I wouldn't know where to put him in the lineup as eller dd and plek are all above him.
Tell me who's gonna pay 7,5 million for a third line center ?

Old
02-03-2012, 12:54 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
lol.

1. This is a hockey board. I will trash talk.
2. If ever I met Gomez in person, I'd shake his hand, and say nice to meet you.
3. He chose a career in the spotlight, which is prone to praise and ridicule. I didn't.
4. Everyone on this board would take 7.3 million in their pocket and go scoreless for a year.
5. My pitty jar is reserved to people with real problems. Not struggling rich athletes. He'll score a goal and will be all smiles post-game interviews, eventually.
totally agree with you.

Its like actors complaining not having a private life. He's getting millions to be known.
want a private life, dont become actor

For Gomez, nobody hate him as a person. But as a hockey player, he deserve to be critisized for his work.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:54 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
Tell me who's gonna pay 7,5 million for a third line center ?
besides us you mean?

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
he can be sent if Gomez and the habs wants to.

Huet preferred to play in Europe instead AHL. His salary is still paid by the blackhawks

I'm unsure if you can call him back though

I think it would be more pleasant playing for him playing In Switzerland tah bussing between Hamilton and Syracuse.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:55 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
besides us you mean?
Of course ...

Old
02-03-2012, 12:59 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Theo Fleury has always been a great player and never stopped producing. He battled off ice problems, not production.
Gomez can't produce squat right now. This is probably Gomez's last NHL season. I don't think any team will want him, even at the league's minimum.
League minimum, hell yeah I want him

Old
02-03-2012, 01:11 PM
UnkleRuckus

Yea the dude probably does have problems like everyone else in the world but i mean he's got to go somewhere else or the minors. Hockey's a business and the fact is he's not producing and he gets the largest paycheck on the team, gives a horrible example for guys like Desharnais who work their behinds off and get paid jack in comparison. Just think about if you've ever had a boss whose a complete idiot....kinda the same feeling id imagine, NOT saying Gomez is an idiot it just sucks when you don't get paid fairly

UnkleRuckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:19 PM
llamateizer

Gomez: Spin like a ballerina

Old
02-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Miller Time

its a sad reflection on both the season and the current state of the organization....

but right now I'm feeling about as anxious/excited as I have since opening night for a game, and it's all b/c I want to see if Gomez reaches this "milestone"...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:29 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovehalgill View Post
So, my point is, should he do a Fleury ? Retire, which would break that humongous contract, take the summer to get in the best shape ( mentally and physically ) possible, and re-sign with any team for a lot less then prove your worth ?
You know, his contract won't magically disappear if he "retires" for the summer.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:33 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovehalgill View Post
This is not a bashing thread, so please let's leave it at that.
Having just finished Theo Fleury's book ( if you haven't read it, do so now), it's scary to see what some players go through.
There has been some rumours circulating that Gomez was not injured, but suffering from depression during the time he spent on the sidelines.
He is a very talented player, a true class act and a natural leader, and a great example for the young ones, and every team needs a player like that.
It's the contract though.
So, my point is, should he do a Fleury ? Retire, which would break that humongous contract, take the summer to get in the best shape ( mentally and physically ) possible, and re-sign with any team for a lot less then prove your worth ?
I love Gomer, i and would love to see him shine again, he deserves it.
should he ? yes- will he? of course not- theres millions of dollars in volved- i wouldnt

larek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:34 PM
Beakermania*

Its certainly possible he's depressed, but do we have any source to back this up?

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:36 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

Wouldn't it be more depressing to throw away the millions he's set to make over the next two years?

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:37 PM
7th Player

Think Gomez should switch to defense. What does he have to lose?

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:38 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Its certainly possible he's depressed, but do we have any source to back this up?
No- -

Old
02-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
Depressed ? Gimme a break...

I saw Gomer in NJ, in December, 30 mins before the game, sipping a beer at the pub in front of Prudential Center. He just seemed like he didn't care at all. He was all smiley and had fun with the fans, signed autographs and took pictures with ppl etc.

Watch him on the bench, he's all smiley and joking non-stop, that's his personality. you don,t see an ounce of frustration in the ways he act. Might be a poker face, but I really doubt he's caring anymore. He racks up the paychecks and trolls us Habs fans. I so hope he gets sent down before the end of this year. Tank already, get rid of dead wood, fire Gauthier, play rookies, give them NHL experience. Next year, show them how to be WINNERS.
Wade Belak was the same way, some people put on a good face when the going gets tough in public. Maybe he doesnt want peoples pity.

Edit: Not saying it's true just putting some perspective into your comment.

Last edited by Perrah: 02-03-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by larek View Post
No- -
Well then, its a little much for us to diagnose in this thread whether he should take an absence from hockey and go get treatment then, isn't it?

I'd rather assess his play on the ice, then speculate about him having a mental illness that we have no proof of, and how he should go about dealing with said illness.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:48 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Gun View Post
Bet the breeze wasn't crying went he was out buying up expensive cars and nice vacations that the fans paid for.

Flurry needed money, he wrote a book, some sports shows helped him sell the ****, people wasted thier money, and flurry went to the bank with it. Nice clothes and off to the talk shows with the whole bit of crap. We all have our stories, what makes them so special. They play on people and suck them to better themselves financally.

If gomaz has mental problems, see a doctor, get help and go on insurance, not sucking money out of a team. Do what the rest of us would have to do!!

People need to get a grip when it comes to dealing with way overpaid sport people like gomaz, people will eat up anything they say, like its gods words or something.

Do you really think the gomaz or tiger woods of the world are going to walk away from all that money ??? Sometimes, and rightfully so, they have to be pushed or booed away, hence we have the boo birds.

I'm proud to be a boo bird when a player is out on the ice floating around doing nothing or sitting on the bench having a good laugh for himself while other team mates are working there ass of for far far less money and trying to get 2 points out of the game. A lot of floaters have so much wasted talant. **** Gomaz...outboard.
The problem with ppl like you is that you're not helping the team you love at all. You're detracting. If the players are playing like crap they know it, and the coach let's them know it. But by booing them all you're doing is pushing them down further into their funk.

How would you like it if you got a C on one of your exams or if you messed up at work and ppl booed you incessantly thereafter while you worked or wrote your next exam? Chances are you'd continue to suck because the booing distracts and depresses you even further. So if you wanna help the team - SHUT UP!

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
larek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
Wade Belak was the same way, some people put on a good face when the going gets tough in public. Maybe he doesnt want peoples pity.

Edit: Not saying it's true just putting some perspective into your comment.
wow- you gotta be kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by airic000 View Post
The problem with ppl like you is that you're not helping the team you love at all. You're detracting. If the players are playing like crap they know it, and the coach let's them know it. But by booing them all you're doing is pushing them down further into their funk.

How would you like it if you got a C on one of your exams or if you messed up at work and ppl booed you incessantly thereafter while you worked or wrote your next exam? Chances are you'd continue to suck because the booing distracts and depresses you even further. So if you wanna help the team - SHUT UP!
i much rather be in gomez position can i be in his position instead of the C in a test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
Well then, its a little much for us to diagnose in this thread whether he should take an absence from hockey and go get treatment then, isn't it?

I'd rather assess his play on the ice, then speculate about him having a mental illness that we have no proof of, and how he should go about dealing with said illness.
LOL- its crazy isnt it?

Old
02-03-2012, 02:58 PM
Saint Patrick
2 rings in my hears

Its a double edged sword really, Gomez knew what he was getting into signing a contract like that. He was nowhere near deserving that money at the time and for all I remember didnt come close to deserving that money since. But then again, who would say no to this much cash. He will assume the consequences of his actions.

Saint Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Cyclones Rock

In all seriousness, Gomez would probably be best served by a trip to the minors.

His confidence has got to be zero and a little bit of production at the AHL level might be the tonic he needs. I happen to think he's finished, but why not try the minor league treatment? It certainly couldn't hurt.

I'd honestly be a bit surprised if he weren't somewhat depressed by his performance. Anyone with one iota of pride would be. Hopefully, he's not deeply depressed. That's dangerous territory. But it wouldn't be altogether surprising.

Ironically, Gomez had his career year after the lockout year. He spent that year in the ECHL:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...70&encode=TRUE

2003-04 New Jersey Devils NHL 80 14 56 70
2004-05 Alaska Aces ECHL 61 13 73 86
2005-06 New Jersey Devils NHL 82 33 51 84

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote