HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hi Nashville People

Old
02-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Edgeworth*

vCash: 500
Hi Nashville People

Hello I've been kinda floatin about the western conference looking at teams cause my work keeps me late and its the only hockey I can really watch. Been trying to pick a team to stick to and watch and I really dig the Predator's jerseys and their originality (not taking the pansy route and getting a blue or red jersey) as well as the defense.

Can you guys tell me a lil more about the team though? Prospects to watch out? team needs? Who's leaving/staying? Is the team financially secure? How is hockey faring in Tennesse? Is there a burgeoning junior level of hockey with the Predators success in the NHL?

Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:31 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Hello I've been kinda floatin about the western conference looking at teams cause my work keeps me late and its the only hockey I can really watch. Been trying to pick a team to stick to and watch and I really dig the Predator's jerseys and their originality (not taking the pansy route and getting a blue or red jersey) as well as the defense.

Can you guys tell me a lil more about the team though? Prospects to watch out? team needs? Who's leaving/staying? Is the team financially secure? How is hockey faring in Tennesse? Is there a burgeoning junior level of hockey with the Predators success in the NHL?
Some young guys to watch who are already on the roster are Wilson, Smith, Josi, Ellis, Bourque, Spaling, and Halischuk. As far as prospects are concerned you will learn a lot by reading through the Predators Prospects sticky thread. That's where I go when I want to see how the baby Preds are doing.

Team needs right now are pretty simple: another top 6 forward (our most glaring weakness up front is the lack of a number 1 center) to provide more depth to our forward lines, and a 4-6 defensive defenseman with some size and grit to help clear out the crease and muscle guys off of the puck along the boards. Hopefully if those two roles are filled it will also bring in some veteran voices to the locker room. This team is insanely young.

The team is, indeed, financially stable. The new ownership group has done a remarkable job to turn this tanker around in a relatively short period of time. They took the reigns in 2007, and have since done a lot to not only stop the bleeding of moeny but to also repair some damaged avenues of communication with local businesses. That has brought in a lot more corporate support, the area that was most in need of help from a business aspect. They also were able to negotiate a new lease that is more favorable to them than the previous lease. They are now able to earn revenue from non-hockey events, and have also turned the arena into one of the busiest venues in the world. In fact, the talk right now is that Nashville will be shedding its "shoestring budget" persona as soon as the trade deadline (if deals can be made).

Youth hockey has exploded. There are posters here who are much more familiar with this than me, so maybe they can give you more details and examples. I do know that when I went to high school there wasn't a hockey team at the school. The year after I graduated they got an in-line team (I believe it was inline. My neighbor played for them, but I rarely talked to him).

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. If you ever decide to make the trip down to see a game in person I highly recommend using the Visitors Guide thread (also stickied).

TMI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 12:22 AM
zellthemedic

One thing to mention about the junior level hockey deal:

The Jr. Preds just won the Silver Stick Tournament, giving up 7 goals the ENTIRE tournament while dishing out ten times that. Or somewhere around those numbers. It was a ridiculous GF and GA amount though.

EDIT: 63 GF and 7 GA

http://video.predators.nhl.com/video...sole?id=152160

zellthemedic is offline   Reply With Quote