Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMckay View Post
Why should Noel be fired for trying something that may get two guys that are producing nothing right now to start producing offensively? Don't you think if Mittens of Fehr started producing and put up 8-10 pts in their next 20 games that that would help out the team? Both of them have shown in their careers to be able to produce decently, but for some reason aren't with the Jets.

Burmi only has 1pts in his last 12 games, even when he was playing top line minutes. He hasn't shown anything so far to prove that he even could outproduce Fehr or Mittens. Since Fehr has been back, Burmi has only put up 5 points in that entire time, while getting significantly more ice time.

While Mittens is decent defensively, Fehr is absolutely useless to the team if he isn't producing any offense. Burmi is very useful defensively, so Noel may be better off trying to get Fehr producing so he can add something to the team.

Note: I am in no way saying Fehr (or Mittens) are better than Burmi, I love Burmi. I'm just saying you are acting like Burmi is a huge offensive threat and Noel should be fired for even considering putting someone else on the PP or giving them opportunities. He isn't.
Not once did I ever say that Fehr and Mittens should not be playing over Burmi. I am all for giving guys chances if it's in the best interests of the TEAM.

What I AM saying is that if Noel is making these decisions based on giving guy "last chances" based on contract status/age/ANYTHING other than what he thinks will be best for the team to win games he should be fired. Noel is a smart hockey guy, so if he honestly thinks that right now Fehr is the best fit for the Antro line to help the Jets win hockey games, fine. But he if is only doing it to give Fehr one last tryout with the Jets, yes he should be fired. Right now Noel needs to be thinking what is best for the 2011-12 Winnipeg Jets getting to playoffs. His job is not to worry about contracts/ages and situations like that. His job is to win hockey games. The firing comment had nothing to do with them, it was about what you suggested Noel's motives are.

Now that being said, IF the Jets fall completely out of the playoff race, yes Noel should be coordinating with Chevy (who's job it is to think about contracts/ages/longterm plans) and giving certain guys chances, or seeing youngsters play more. But we are not at that point yet.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzappa View Post
I love it how there are already 4 pages of posts for this game and its not even noon.

However, there is a serious lack of MS Paint so far....just sayin'....

Old
02-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom ServoMST3K View Post
OMG, that flat out rules.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Moe Mantha

vCash: 501
As much as some of the MS Paint stuff has fallen flat for me, MS Paint Rad Jets guy is all kinds of f@cking awesome!

Old
02-03-2012, 12:48 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

tom servo's GDA

Old
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
Westender
Flying W

Quote:
Help us obi wan, you are our only hope

And this

Awesome! Hadn't seen that one... looks like the same guys responsible for this classic:

Old
02-03-2012, 12:51 PM
DarthMonty
Jurassic Park baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk View Post

The calm before the 6 goal storm.
Bro, that photo gave me goosebumps:

With each passing game, I'm more impressed by Blake Wheeler.

"Never quit, never say die is our motto right now. We’re going to play you hard for 60 minutes and if you beat us, then hats off to you, but it’s going to be tough." - Blake Wheeler

His quote describes exactly how he played last night. He did everything - skated, back-checked, fore-checked, hit, and passed, in short, was the Jets' most complete player.

Kudos to the entire team, as even with the pressure from the Lightning for the second half of the middle frame and a lot during the end of the third period, the Jets refused to wilt and all contributed. No one was a passenger last night, but Wheels set the example.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:59 PM
SensibleGuy

mason gets the start tonight...

Old
02-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
I was really regretting wasting 4 minutes of my life, up until the last scene with Vader/Fett after the terrible parody ended...

Old
02-03-2012, 01:11 PM
MadMen88

As far as Burmi is concerned, sometimes it takes a few 10-18 goal seasons before one really breaks out into a 25 goal scorer. Eric Fehr has been looking so much better lately, I gotta believe he's going to have a breakout game soon. Also, I wanna see Jason Jaffray get called up again. Anyways, loving this game day thread and the anticipation of what promises to be a barn burner..GO JETS!

Old
02-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Is Versteeg in? He's been killing us last few games.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Burmi was given first-line time just before the AS break. He did nothing. He didn't look particularly effective having 19 minutes on the top line than he did yesterday.

I like the kid but lets remember that he's a 20-year old sophomore who had 20 points in an average rookie season. We all want to see him develop but he's not a complete enough hockey player to stay on the top two lines. The team needs wins right now and there is no margin of error at this point to sacrifice the system, or any wins, in order to develop one particular player.

He is not good enough to replace any of Ladd, Wellwood, Antropov, Little, Wheeler, or Kane on the top two lines. All of these players are superior hockey players to Burmi in every aspect except perhaps defensive play. I can see an argument for alternating him with Fehr on the second line perhaps, while Kane is out.

I'll say it: Fehr looked more dangerous than Burmi yesterday when he had the puck. When he crashed the net with that solo effort, that was better (offensively) than anything Burmi did the entire night. Burmi was getting knocked on his ass out there.

If he is as good as some claim him to be, as creative offensively, then he should be able to play on any line and contribute. Good hockey players adapt. Every good player out there has been playing with different players from Timbits team onward through their career. That's something that is touted of Kyle Wellwood. That he's creative and he can play on any line and 'shake it up'. If Burmi absolutely HAS to play with Antropov 100% of the time then I don't think that speaks much of him as a player, and I honestly don't think it would make him a well-rounded a player in the long term either.

We all want to see Burmi develop but I think we need to ground the visions of Datsyuk 2.0 a little.
Great post.

During the first 15 games or so, it was easy to sing Burmi's praises. Even though he tended to overhandle the puck, he was actually getting it low and doing a tremendous job shielding the puck, opening up lanes for teammates. Some of his decline can be explained by subpar linemates and being forced to adhere to a more conservative system, sure. But I also think much of it has to do with his game being very easy to figure out. All his forays involve some kind of unnecessary half-spin or fancy deke, and opposing D seem to have recognized it. They just maintain their gaps, and have no problem snuffing him out of the play. He's become easy to play against, and isn't driving opposing defensemen back.

With our lack of offensive production, he definitely does deserve some time in the top 6. You can't ignore that the playmaking ability and offensive skill is there and needs to be reaped. But like others have said, this isn't a time for coddling. And I don't believe his demotion and limited opportunities have been entirely unfair.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Is Versteeg in? He's been killing us last few games.
Yeah he's in.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMen88 View Post
As far as Burmi is concerned, sometimes it takes a few 10-18 goal seasons before one really breaks out into a 25 goal scorer. Eric Fehr has been looking so much better lately, I gotta believe he's going to have a breakout game soon. Also, I wanna see Jason Jaffray get called up again. Anyways, loving this game day thread and the anticipation of what promises to be a barn burner..GO JETS!

Why? Jaffray is career AHLer.

(Also, I posted this gif yesterday, since we are sticking with Bro Wars for good luck, thought I'd do my part and keep routine )

Old
02-03-2012, 01:30 PM
atl thrasher344
Believe in Blueland

Why the heck is Gagnon in over Machacek (at least yesterday)? Why does management insist on calling up developing players and then playing them for ~5 minutes or scratching them?

Old
02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

yes that is awesome to the Nth degree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
OMG, that flat out rules.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:50 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
Why the heck is Gagnon in over Machacek (at least yesterday)? Why does management insist on calling up developing players and then playing them for ~5 minutes or scratching them?
For whatever reason, Chevy gave Gagnon a two year deal this summer with the second year being a one-way contract. Basically, he's going to be our 13th forward next year (despite not having done anything to deserve it ).

Old
02-03-2012, 01:56 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl thrasher344 View Post
I suppose because our current crop of forwards are performing so well and don't want to tarnish that chemistry.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:56 PM
MadMen88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

Why? Jaffray is career AHLer.

(Also, I posted this gif yesterday, since we are sticking with Bro Wars for good luck, thought I'd do my part and keep routine )
Yeah, but its the fourth line we're talking about. Jaffray has proven himself at several more levels than someone like Gagnon. I also felt Jaffray really brought an added punch to the fourth line. I'm also impartial as I loved what I saw when he was with the Moose. Here's a guy that only needs a shift to score. JJ is for real.

Anyways, GO JETS.

Old
02-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

• The Winnipeg Jets are sorry for not being the Winnipeg Jets the past 15 years and promise the name “Barry Shenkarow” will always be accompanied by a scowl and flipped-bird from franchise personnel who reference it.

• The Carolina Hurricanes sincerely regret making all our male fans, employees and citizens of Raleigh look homelier in the face by hiring Kirk Muller as head coach.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...daily_20120203

Old
02-03-2012, 02:43 PM
videofarmer
thirsty

vCash: 521
Kirk Muller is in that picture?

Old
02-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
• The Winnipeg Jets are sorry for not being the Winnipeg Jets the past 15 years and promise the name “Barry Shenkarow” will always be accompanied by a scowl and flipped-bird from franchise personnel who reference it.

• The Carolina Hurricanes sincerely regret making all our male fans, employees and citizens of Raleigh look homelier in the face by hiring Kirk Muller as head coach.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...daily_20120203
That picture never gets old.

Old
02-03-2012, 02:52 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
I am Catbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
That picture never gets old.
i saw that article and the carolina one and was like, kirk muller, who is that better look up some pictures

Old
02-03-2012, 03:03 PM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Quote:
i saw that article and the carolina one and was like, kirk muller, who is that better look up some pictures
I did too, but I could only find this one:

Old
02-03-2012, 03:07 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Burmi will probably score tonight since everyone wants to rag on him again. Like clockwork around here...

Closed Thread