HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread III

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
The Flyers nearly won a Cup with those mistakes. If the Kings follow a similar pattern, then I hope they repeat those mistakes. Even before the Cup run season, the Flyers also reached the Conference Finals with Carter and Richards in 07-08.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:48 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
While Parise will probably end the season with Jersey and can be had for free, who on God's green earth thinks he'd come out here to the West?

Carter might be worth the gamble.

Fact: The LA Kings need scoring help.
That's exactly what some of us are thinking. While anyone here would take Parise over Carter any day of the week, let's step back and think about the possibility of signing Parise.
  • The Kings will have to spend upwards of $7M on a contract that will at minimum be 7 years at length. I see a Kovalchuk like contract on the horizon for Parise.

• Since 2007, the Kings have failed to sign their prime targets in free agency and have been unable to match offers made by other clubs to the top free agent forwards.

• What happens if the Kings fail to sign Parise? The next best option after him is Semin and I don't think Lombardi likes him much. So who is Plan B then? Ray Whitney? There is an astronomic separation gap between the top free agent forward and the next best available option.
If the Kings miss out on signing Parise, they're going to repeat the same damn process that we've seen them go through every summer in signing leftovers. Very few free agent signings have worked out for the Kings, and the most successful signings thus far have been with defensemen: Rob Scuderi and Willie Mitchell.

Lombardi hasn't had much success landing any of the top free agent forwards. He's too prudent to hand out a ridiculous contract. At the very least, Carter's price tag gives Lombardi more cap flexibility and it is a reasonable price for a 30 goal, 60 point forward.

Those are the reasons why I think acquiring Carter would be a smart move for the Kings. Right now his value is at a low, so now is the time to strike. Carter would be LA's version of Bobby Ryan.

Old
02-03-2012, 03:53 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
That's exactly what some of us are thinking. While anyone here would take Parise over Carter any day of the week, let's step back and think about the possibility of signing Parise.
  • The Kings will have to spend upwards of $7M on a contract that will at minimum be 7 years at length. I see a Kovalchuk like contract on the horizon for Parise.

• Since 2007, the Kings have failed to sign their prime targets in free agency and have been unable to match offers made by other clubs to the top free agent forwards.

• What happens if the Kings fail to sign Parise? The next best option after him is Semin and I don't think Lombardi likes him much. So who is Plan B then? Ray Whitney? There is an astronomic separation gap between the top free agent forward and the next best available option.
If the Kings miss out on signing Parise, they're going to repeat the same damn process that we've seen them go through every summer in signing leftovers. Very few free agent signings have worked out for the Kings, and the most successful signings thus far have been with defensemen: Rob Scuderi and Willie Mitchell.

Lombardi hasn't had much success landing any of the top free agent forwards. He's too prudent to hand out a ridiculous contract. At the very least, Carter's price tag gives Lombardi more cap flexibility and it is a reasonable price for a 30 goal, 60 point forward.

Those are the reasons why I think acquiring Carter would be a smart move for the Kings. Right now his value is at a low, so now is the time to strike. Carter would be LA's version of Bobby Ryan.
All this post accomplished is scaring me of our likelihood of witnessing Lombardi regurgitate the same cycle in the probable event that we don't end up with Carter.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
02-03-2012, 06:00 AM
SuperAlmeida

What would it take to get Devin Setoguchi out of Minnesota? Though, I don't think they will trade him to us.

Old
02-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
While Parise will probably end the season with Jersey and can be had for free, who on God's green earth thinks he'd come out here to the West?

Carter might be worth the gamble.

Fact: The LA Kings need scoring help.

Having Carter here might make LA a more attractive option for Parise. He may view that as an increased chance of winning.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:22 AM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Brown View Post
Having Carter here might make LA a more attractive option for Parise. He may view that as an increased chance of winning.
Easy there fella. There is a thing called the salary cap.

Cant see how you fit both Carter and Parise in along with Kopi, Doughty, Richards, Jack Johnson and Quick's new contract. All long term, big contracts.

Old
02-03-2012, 08:49 AM
Chazz Reinhold

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Well at least we know the next mascot to replace Boomer will be the Columbus Coulomb.

To LA: Nash, Carter, Howson's Lithium prescription

To CBJ: Clune, Salvatore Tecchi, a $50 entry to Pancakes with Penner, and Lombardi's Wikipedia bookmarks
I like this new guy.

Old
02-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LombardiTool View Post
Easy there fella. There is a thing called the salary cap.

Cant see how you fit both Carter and Parise in along with Kopi, Doughty, Richards, Jack Johnson and Quick's new contract. All long term, big contracts.

When Quick's larger contract kicks in (2013-14), Mitchell will no longer be a King. Scuderi (one year left) may or may not be a King. Plus, the salary cap has been only increasing since it was instituted. There's little reason to assume it won't increase further at the rate of roughly $2-3 million per season. Of course, the CBA expires soon (this summer???), so there's no telling one way or the other.

But this off-season, the contracts of Stoll, Penner, Mitchell, Parse, and a few other guys come off the books. Quick is due $1.8 mil next season. We'll at least be able to afford BOTH Parise AND Carter next season.

Old
02-03-2012, 10:31 AM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Quote:
When Quick's larger contract kicks in (2013-14), Mitchell will no longer be a King. Scuderi (one year left) may or may not be a King. Plus, the salary cap has been only increasing since it was instituted. There's little reason to assume it won't increase further at the rate of roughly $2-3 million per season. Of course, the CBA expires soon (this summer???), so there's no telling one way or the other.

But this off-season, the contracts of Stoll, Penner, Mitchell, Parse, and a few other guys come off the books. Quick is due $1.8 mil next season. We'll at least be able to afford BOTH Parise AND Carter next season.
Yes, all of those contracts expire, but you have to replace them with other people. A few can be people on the farm, but you can lose some of them without replacing them with equal or higher quality. Plus, you know Dean always leaves rooms for moves (which I thank him for!). You can afford them next season, but you have to look at the seasons beyond since Carter's contract is so long and Parise's will be. He's not going to be signing a 1 or 2 year deal with anyone (unless it's NJ).

Old
02-03-2012, 10:33 AM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperAlmeida View Post
What would it take to get Devin Setoguchi out of Minnesota? Though, I don't think they will trade him to us.
This is something some of me and my buddies have been talking about off the boards for a while now, as I think he'd be a great addition to the Kings roster. The Wild are still in the playoff hunt, and until they fall out of it, I don't see them letting him go. Cross your fingers for more Minny losses!

Old
02-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Plus, you know Dean always leaves rooms for moves (which I thank him for!).

That was true up until this season. Things changed this season.

Last edited by Capn Brown: 02-03-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Old
02-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
Yes, all of those contracts expire, but you have to replace them with other people.

Stoll & Penner get replaced with Carter & Parise. Gagne may or may not play again, and that's $3.5m right there. Mitchell can be resigned for (probably) $2m or under (35-years-old). IF (and that's a BIG IF) we decide to re-sign Parse, it would have to be @ $650,000 or less, as the last two seasons have shown him to be not worth $900,000.

Will the salary cap increase? Dunno. The only guy we might have a difficult time re-signing would be Fraser. And then the year after next, we'll probably re-sign Scuderi and let Mitchell walk. I don't see a long-term problem with adding both Parise and Carter.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Carter and Parise? Yeah, and I'm going to wake up with Scarlett Johansson and Sofia Vergara under each arm.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:09 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Dude, do the math. Carter and Parise combined would cost $12M or more in cap space. There's another $11M tied to Doughty and Johnson, and then Kopitar, Brown, Richards and Williams all earn a combined cap hit of over $20M. That's already at $55M with only 8 players. You are living in a fantasy world where a cap doesn't exist. Give up trying to mimic Rangers and Leafs fans.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:15 AM
KingsFan7824

Parise isn't signing with the Kings. It will be his choice of where to go. He's not going to be the guy left without a chair to sit in, and have to settle for wherever. He has no ties to the Kings. He wasn't born in the area. He has no family on the team. The only thing that would make any difference would be the money. Which means the Kings will have to go over anything any other team offers. If some other team goes $7 million a year, the Kings can't just match that.

Look at the history of free agency. It's not that the Kings can't sign free agents. It's just that the Kings can't sign Parise level free agents.

Quote:
Mitchell can be resigned for (probably) $2m or under (35-years-old).
Mitchell is going to take at least a $1.5 million cut in pay to stay with the Kings? The Kings had to shell out $3.5 million a year with Mitchell coming off a year ending concussion who couldn't do much until Augustwhen they signed him. With Mitchell being relatively healthy for the last two years, and playing as effectively as he has, why would he accept that much less to stay here? It might be the last contract he signs.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:24 AM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
He has no family on the team.
My favorite part^.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:52 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas4662 View Post
on puck daddy they are proposing that chris stewart of the blues might possibly be available for his recent poor play under Hitchcock. possible tough winger to join the team with what everyone thought 35-goal potential?
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...191918162.html
I'm interested in Stewart, but I also worry about an attitude issue with him based on rubblings I've heard from Avs and Blues fans. Any truth to that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropdapuck View Post
kingsfan:
No, you're right. I did the math wrong. We picked up one point on them. But it still doesn't change the dynamics much. We desperately need a finisher.
100% agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventyx7 View Post
I know that Quick can't sign an extension until July 1st but; is DL allowed to talk to him/his agent and gauge what he will be looking for/interest in resigning?
I thought players can't sign extensions until January 1st? I thought I read that somewhwere about Parise, that he couldn't sign an extension until Janaury and that's why Devils fans weren't worried about the lack of a contract?

Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
Quick is a character guy I don't think the Kings are going to have any problems what so ever signing him. I think Quick will stay loyal the same way Johnson did.
I think so as well. That said I'd rather not deal bernier and put all our eggs in the basket called Quick's character. Hate to build up a great team only to see it backstopped by Martin Biron. DL would really be building Flyers West then.

Quote:
If Toronto & the Kings are scouting each other, doesn't it all come down to which GM (Lombardi or Burke) will be able to get the better of the other? Who has the edge in a trade?
I'm perplexed how we help each other in a trade. Toronto is loaded with D bodies just like us and they aren't likely going to give up one of their few scoring wingers since they have two good scoring lines but little extra offense after that to make a deal worthwhile.

The only thing I can really see is us getting Kulemin, but then who do the Leafs want from us for him? I can't imagine Stoll or Penner, and the likes of Lewis, Richardson, etc. aren't worth much and wouldn't do much in Toronto IMO. Anyone else upfront I can't see us dealing.

Quote:
That was true up until this season. Things changed this season.
No they didn't. DL left about $1 million in cap space, which at the deadline equates to closer to $4.5 million. If he wants to add more than that in salary, you can expect Penner to be on the move. DL still left himself plenty of wiggle room.

Quote:
Stoll & Penner get replaced with Carter & Parise. Gagne may or may not play again, and that's $3.5m right there. Mitchell can be resigned for (probably) $2m or under (35-years-old). IF (and that's a BIG IF) we decide to re-sign Parse, it would have to be @ $650,000 or less, as the last two seasons have shown him to be not worth $900,000.

Will the salary cap increase? Dunno. The only guy we might have a difficult time re-signing would be Fraser. And then the year after next, we'll probably re-sign Scuderi and let Mitchell walk. I don't see a long-term problem with adding both Parise and Carter.
So you are assuming Gagne won't play again? And Mitchell will resign for nearly a 50% discount when he could likely get $4 million on the open market?

Old
02-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I thought players can't sign extensions until January 1st? I thought I read that somewhwere about Parise, that he couldn't sign an extension until Janaury and that's why Devils fans weren't worried about the lack of a contract?
I am almost positive that players with one year left on their deal can sign an extension between July 1 to the start of TC, or January 1 to June 30(when contract expires). Not sure why you cannot re-sign your guys in the first half, but I think that that is the way it is regardless.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:59 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Yeah, that's weird you have to put it on hold for four months. Maybe the NHLPA's way of putting a bit more pressure on GM's?

Either way, we need to deal Bernier, but if at all possible, I'd like to wait until Quick is locked up.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Dude, do the math. Carter and Parise combined would cost $12M or more in cap space. There's another $11M tied to Doughty and Johnson, and then Kopitar, Brown, Richards and Williams all earn a combined cap hit of over $20M. That's already at $55M with only 8 players. You are living in a fantasy world where a cap doesn't exist. Give up trying to mimic Rangers and Leafs fans.

Dude, YOU do the math!

3.5 ....Gagne (who may never play again)
4.25 ..Penner
3.6 ....Stoll

That's $11.35 million. Now take that number and subtract what Carter makes and what Parise is likely to make. It more or less works! This is assuming the cap continues to rise at the rate it has in the past....

Our "problems" with the cap would not happen until 2013-14. However, based upon past cap increases, we theoretically would have $4-6 million MORE added to the salary cap by 2013-14 (i.e., around $69 million total), so there theoretically would not be a problem.

It's all just math, folks.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
The Flyers nearly won a Cup with those mistakes. If the Kings follow a similar pattern, then I hope they repeat those mistakes. Even before the Cup run season, the Flyers also reached the Conference Finals with Carter and Richards in 07-08.
You are giving them to much credit for that part. The mistakes I meant were more isolated to the individual players themselves. When the Flyers made it to the Cup Finals it was because of numerous current Flyers. Carter had almost nothing to do with the Flyers success.

Jeff Carter
Games: 12
Goals: 5
Assists: 2
Note: 2 of Carter's 5 goals were empty net goals (1 against Chicago, 1 against Montreal). 5 of the 7 points came in 2 of the 12 games (3 against the Devils, 2 against the Habs).

Mike Richards
Games: 23
Goals: 7
Assists: 16
Note: He was amazing in the Eastern run but choked in the finals. Only had 1g, 1a and was a -7 against the Hawks in 6 games. (Along with Carter who had 1g, 1a and was a -6 they were the 2 worst Flyers in that series)

Simon Gagne
Games: 19
Goals: 9
Assists: 3
Note: Scored goals well but like Carter and Richards he also choked in the finals with 2g, 0a and was a -8. I should also point out Gagne, Richards, and Carter did not have a single game where they were at least a +1.

Claude Giroux
Goals: 10
Assists: 11

Danny Briere
Goals: 12
Assists: 18

Ville Leino
Games: 19
Goals: 7
Assists: 14

Scott Hartnell
Goals: 8
Assists: 9
Note: Had 5 goals and 9 points in the 6 game Stanley Cup Finals.

Chris Pronger *Would have won Conn Smythe had Flyers won
Goals: 4
Assists: 14
Avg. Ice: 29:03

Now don't get me wrong Carter, Richards, and Gagne are talented players but the Flyers 09-10 playoff run was a team thing. Heck if you take Carter completely out of the picture they still make it to the cup finals. Though yes they did need Gagne and Richards to get past the Bruins.

Long story short no team just randomly signs two star players to long term deals then trade both of them away before the contracts have barely started without a reason. They did not have to move both players to sign Bryz ether they could have just moved 1.

John Stevens was fired because he was a player friendly coach who let the young guys have to much freedom to the point where it got out of control. Laviolette is the exact opposite. Richards was moved because he was feuding with the coach and other star players on the team. The lockers divided last season and the team fell apart last season after the all star break with the 3rd worst record in hockey. Though Homer never fully admitted this was why he was traded it was certainly strengthened when anonymous teammates of Richards backed it up after he was traded.

Carter simply lost his role on the team. Like I mentioned before he was demoted to 3rd line. He had limited ice time and was never a clutch player. Though slightly tied into the Richards off the ice issues Philly had no reason to want to be stuck with a 3rd line center making 5 million a year under he is 37 so they pushed him out the door before his NTC kicked in.

If Philly wanted ether of these guys they would still be Flyers. They were moved because Philly simply felt they could not win with both.

With that being said I think Richards can win a cup. Outside of some immaturity flaws that are no longer brought up since he isn't captain he is certainly talented enough as a hockey player. Carter on the other hand. I don't see anyone winning a cup with him as a top 6 player. He just doesn't bring it when you need him to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
If LA was nearly identical to Philly than yes, Carter to LA would be as you said. But Philly and LA aren't comparable teams. Jeff Carter has scored more career goals than any player on the kings roster other than the likely done for the season Gagne.

What's our biggest problem? Goal scoring.

Zach Parise's at the top of my wish list, although I know better than to get my hopes up. Yes, there are some issues with acquiring another center, but Carter would still be a tremendous acquisition.
Yes the Kings do need offense but you also have to look between the numbers and make smart moves. Not just rash moves to try to plug up a major issue with a piece that may not be right for the spot.

Carter's goal scoring ability can be exaggerated simply because he is not an accurate shot and he does not have any playmaking ability.

If you look at some of Carter's stats in general year to year you will also notice he is frequently in the top 3 in total shots usually well over 300. You will also notice he is frequently among the league leaders in missed shots usually top 10 sometimes top 3. In other words he attempts about 450-500 shots a season and is good for about 30-35 goals a season. While the goals look nice keep in mind this means Carter will actually take away shots from his line mates because he has a mentality of shoot first no matter where he is on the ice.

Philadelphia averaged 3.12 goals a game last season. Philadelphia averages 3.32 goals a game this season. How does a team move their top 2 alleged star centers for young prospects, picks, and roll players and still get better offensively? Many people overlook this but Carter's old line mate Scott Hartnell is having a career year without him. When he played with Carter his roll was go to the front of the net and try to screen the goalie or finish a rebound after Carter shoots. Now he has a more rounded roll and can shoot a lot more. His numbers are all up. This effect was seen with every combination he had in Philadelphia. When Philly tried to play Richards with Carter or Briere with Carter even Giroux with Carter. All playmakers who they thought would help Carter but all saw declines in numbers. Even former teammates. Joffrey Lupul is having a great year and though he was traded years ago he was hurt every year since being traded. His first healthy year post Carter he is playing like a stud.

IMO Carter is very overrated. I say this as a Flyers fan I was thrilled when they moved him. I was originally disappointed they moved Richards but not even a 2nd thought on Carter. He just isn't that good and I don't think he would do much for the Kings offense.

Quote:
Unfortunately there is no possible way the Kings can afford to keep there current stars and bring in Carter and Parise.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:31 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Dude, YOU do the math!

4.25 ..Penner
3.6 ....Stoll

That's $11.35 million. Now take that number and subtract what Carter makes and what Parise is likely to make. It more or less works! This is assuming the cap continues to rise at the rate it has in the past....

Our "problems" with the cap would not happen until 2013-14. However, based upon past cap increases, we theoretically would have $4-6 million MORE added to the salary cap by 2013-14 (i.e., around $69 million total), so there theoretically would not be a problem.

you have to realize that we still have to fit another player right? even if that player was at the league minimum we still have to account for quick's massive pay raise. .

Old
02-03-2012, 12:33 PM
BKR

Quote:
Dude, YOU do the math!

4.25 ..Penner
3.6 ....Stoll

I have bolded my two favorite parts of the above. Great reading.

You do realize that there is no cap agreement in place moving forward and that there could be another work-stoppage over it, right...? More or less?

Old
02-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
It actually would fit to get both of them. It would be an extremely tight fit and would hurt you a bit in negotiations with Quick, which would probably require you to move someone (i.e. Let Gagne and Scuderi go), but it would fit... This is not factoring in changes, either increases or decreases with the cap of course...

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Anze Kopitar ($6.800m) / Dustin Brown ($3.175m)
Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Justin Williams ($3.650m)
Brad Richardson ($1.175m) / Andrei Loktionov ($0.816m) / Trevor Lewis ($0.725m)
Kyle Clifford ($0.870m) / Colin Fraser ($0.900m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m)
Simon Gagne ($3.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Jack Johnson ($4.357m) / Drew Doughty ($7.000m)
Rob Scuderi ($3.400m) / Vyacheslav Voinov ($0.816m)
Alec Martinez ($0.737m) / Matt Greene ($2.950m)
Davis Drewiske ($0.616m)

GOALTENDERS
Jonathan Quick ($1.800m) / Jeff Zatkoff ($0.650m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,687,869; BONUSES: $342,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $1,612,131

Old
02-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
And Mitchell will resign for nearly a 50% discount when he could likely get $4 million on the open market?

I don't know about that. At 35, Sean O'Donnell could only get $1.25m and is currently making $850,000.....is Willie Mitchell really that much better than Sean O'Donnell? I honestly do not believe I'm trying to compare apples with oranges here.

Closed Thread