HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Proposal Thread 7.0 - "Everyone is Available Cuz We're the f'ing NYR" Edition

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2012, 11:27 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Like I said on page 1, the Rangers are buyers AND sellers, which makes this a very interesting trade deadline.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:29 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Personally I don't see the need for Prospal regardless.
This.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:35 AM
IBleedNYRBlue

Wolski + 2nd for Smyth?

I don't know what EDM would want. Im not giving up a 1st though for him.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:38 AM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Smyth would be an awesome addition for a deep run in the playoffs. At this stage of his career and given his contract status, I think a 2nd round pick gets it done.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepan Up View Post
He's another player that would take a slapshot in the face to score a goal. I think he would step in and wouldn't miss a beat on how we play. The problem is he is slow, but him on the powerplay makes up for his speed, I'd think.
I don't think anyone questions Prospal's heart, but he would not step in and not miss a beat with the NYR game. He doesn't have the speed to pressure players on the forecheck, he doesn't have the quickness to keep getting back along the boards to cycle and keep the puck low, constantly winning physical battles like our bottom 9 plays.

There's just nowhere to hide him:

(this is not only accounting for position, it's just replacing the weakest member of each line, or the one that would benefit the least with Prospal. Also demostrates the weakness of our LW position that it's always the LW being replaced)

Prospal - Stepan - Gaborik = no way Vinny has the gas left for this kind of workload, nevermind whether his game is there or not.

Prospal - Richards - Callahan = makes a great two way line with physical tenacious players (Dubi/Cally) on the wings, into an entirely mediocre line. Not quick enough for the transition hockey of Cally forcing turnovers, not able to help Cally pin teams deep on the forecheck, not helping Richards by being slow.

Prospal - Boyle - Prust = i guess replacing Fedotenko on this unit is where people want to see Prospal. (By people, I mean the one's that want Prospal, and aren't talking about overhauling all 4 lines to get production out of him). I think Feds' game is superior to Prospal's at this point in almost everyway. Boyle and Prust generate offensive mostly off Prust forcing a turnover, and Boyle grinding the play along the boards. I don't think Prust and Boyle are good enough to have Prospal just hanging out waiting to cash in a goal. Also Torts has a tendency to use this line against top untis when Cally, Richie, and DUbi are getting burnt up on a lot of special teams minutes. Prospal takes that option off the table.

Prospal - Anisimov - Mitchell = I don't think Rupp - AA - Mitchell is a well built 4th line, and seems temporary, as AA is going to need to be int he top 9 come playoff time. Doesn't matter, Prospal is not going to contribute with 4th line minutes. If the plan is stick him on the 4th line and then roll him out for PP's, well I just think his benefit to the PP is being over-estimated.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:44 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I've said it before and I'll say it again. This guy is my top target 1. because he fits this system to a tee 2. he and Holmstrom are the top 2 front of the net players in the game. This will do wonders for our PP imo and 3. for such a young team his veteran presence would be great going deep in a playoff run. Get Smyth.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:48 AM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Ryan Smyth would be a terrific deadline acquisition. LW. Will help the PP. Make us tougher to play against. Gritty. Leader. Experience.

If Smyth is willing to waive his no trade, I'd bet a ton of money that Sather gets it done. Typical Sather move. Knows the player well and obviously has dealt with Edmonton a few times in the past.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This guy is my top target 1. because he fits this system to a tee 2. he and Holmstrom are the top 2 front of the net players in the game. This will do wonders for our PP imo and 3. for such a young team his veteran presence would be great going deep in a playoff run. Get Smyth.
I don't disagree that SMyth would be a good addition, but I wonder why you think having a good player in front of the net would help the PP. Every PP Cally is in front, and he's winning the positioning battle, but the team can't get the puck there. The perimeter passing is slow and sluggish, and there's not a set movement to draw defenders out to open up good lanes to get the puck either low, or a quatlity shot for a tip-in.

I want to feel like Smyth would help immensly, but I think he just reinforces the PP problem of yet another strong net-mouth player that can finish… and a team on the perimeter that can't make it happen.

TL;DR: our PP's problem seems to be GETTING the puck to the net. Not finishing once it's there. Everyone says SMyth would help, but imho he's going to be another guy sitting in front of the net waiting for a play, and it never happening.

Old
02-03-2012, 11:49 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

for me prospal would be my last option, personally i like smyth for wolski and a 2nd or 3rd. yea vinny is heart and soul and finds ways to score goals, but smyth would instantly make the powerplay better, something prospal would not do and something we desperately need.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:23 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post
All true. Not the perfect add because he is slow and this group of forwards already has issue with speedy teams.
Also true about MCCabe and he cost us a 3rd. Smyth far superior player to McCabe at this point so he is going to cost us a 2nd at a minimum despite his preference to come here.
Forget about Wolski and Zuccs as tradebale assets to a rebuilding team. They are both UFAs who have a combined zero goals this season..
If that's the case, don't want.
This is a clear end of season rental. period. On top of that the guy is useful, but slow, so not THAT useful.
Would agree to our 4th for their 6th + bodies for cap balance.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:27 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I feel like I have to say this every page.......

Phoenix is NOT selling. They will not be trading away pieces. They need to make the playoffs to make the team look more attractive to a buyer.
Could we invest in Yandle? Improve their team without killing ourselves + make good move for future at same time? Would help at the point....

I agree about Yotes not moving pieces.
If there is a profitable upgrade, they probably make it in the name of overall improvement.
The trick is make an offer we can live with they like which is not massive overcompensation for us...

Old
02-03-2012, 12:31 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yeah that's what I'm saying. I'm just not willing to go any higher for him. If our biggest need was a net front presence? Sure, I'd give up a 2nd and a toss-in prospect like Pashnin for him, but we're not at that point right now.

Unfortunately I don't think Phoenix is going to be selling this year. Whitney being off the table might drive up the interest on Hemsky for many teams though.
You mentioned MPS in prior thread, tongue in cheek .

Since it's not clear the guy will ever get his ass here, how 'bout Pashnin + cap throw ins Avery + Wolski for Paajarvi?

Or do we not want?

Old
02-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Like the idea of Smyth as a rental if he is at a discounted rate. I think it could confuse teams a little as he is a scoring threat. Gets dirty goals <--Something that the guys that should be doing here aren't getting. Talking about Dubi, Boyle and to a lesser extent Prust.

Still feel that a bigger move could have been warranted. I think this team is very close however there are some ugly teams that the Rangers will likely face in the playoffs. Lots of the East choked full of superstars. Superstars in the past always beat the Rangers in big games. This year it hasen't been the case, its obvious the Rangers can compete with them. But...do they have the upper hand going into the series?

Old
02-03-2012, 12:36 PM
ocarina

If we can get Smyth for cheap, then we should absolutely be all over that. He would fill in the need of a LW, and give us a good net presence.

If Smyth is using his NMC to prevent a bidding war, then Wolski, a 3rd/4th rounder and one of MZA or Bickel should work.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Dorado*

I bet MZA would help the PP . Hypothetically , RICHARDS AND ? on Point . MZA ON left half wall Smyth in front Gaborik or Callahan on right side . I understand the team is winning as is but at some point the PP needs to be addressed . Why not put a player who HAS proven he can put up points on the PP in MZA . I an not a huge Zucc fan but his creativity is what the PP lacks .
The other option is gutting picks or prospects for another older rental .
Perhaps Torts is happy that as long as the team PKs well not scoring on the PP doesn't matter .

Old
02-03-2012, 12:39 PM
bernmeister

Sometime back got feeback from Kings fan about Feds, when fishing as to Alec Martinez.

While preference is around C. Thomas + x for Martinez + Y, who/what could we throw in with Feds for Martinez?

They are looking for scoring Ws.
maybe
Feds + Boyle + prospect St. Croix + Ranger 2012 4th
for
Martinez + LAK 2012 2nd?

something like that?

Old
02-03-2012, 12:40 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarina View Post
If we can get Smyth for cheap, then we should absolutely be all over that. He would fill in the need of a LW, and give us a good net presence.

If Smyth is using his NMC to prevent a bidding war, then Wolski, a 3rd/4th rounder and one of MZA or Bickel should work.
If you're the Oilers GM would you keep Smyth, a fan favorite, who will work hard every game, or do you move him for either two of those three guys that aren't going to be contributors in your lineup (MZA is a poor man's Paajarvi, and look at his struggles in EDM)? Plus one being a freaking cap dump.

What incentive at all does the Oil have for losing Smyth for a return that isn't going to help this season or the future?

Old
02-03-2012, 12:45 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Like the idea of Smyth as a rental if he is at a discounted rate. I think it could confuse teams a little as he is a scoring threat. Gets dirty goals <--Something that the guys that should be doing here aren't getting. Talking about Dubi, Boyle and to a lesser extent Prust.

Still feel that a bigger move could have been warranted. I think this team is very close however there are some ugly teams that the Rangers will likely face in the playoffs. Lots of the East choked full of superstars. Superstars in the past always beat the Rangers in big games. This year it hasen't been the case, its obvious the Rangers can compete with them. But...do they have the upper hand going into the series?
No. As points leader its fair to say we are co-favorites with the prevailing champs.
But we are not dominant like Canadien teams of the past.
We have a nominal edge, not an upper hand, and any hot goalie on any given night can overcome all that hard work with luck.
That's why ultimately at some point we need another sniper and an upgrade at D, from 1 dimensional shutdown Girardi, + X for a guy like Yandle, Weber (only if we knew he'd be here long term otherwise no Girardi for him), or Hedman.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:47 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
I bet MZA would help the PP . Hypothetically , RICHARDS AND ? on Point . MZA ON left half wall Smyth in front Gaborik or Callahan on right side . I understand the team is winning as is but at some point the PP needs to be addressed . Why not put a player who HAS proven he can put up points on the PP in MZA . I an not a huge Zucc fan but his creativity is what the PP lacks .
The other option is gutting picks or prospects for another older rental .
Perhaps Torts is happy that as long as the team PKs well not scoring on the PP doesn't matter .
Put MZA out of misery + ship out of town.
He doesn't have speed = separation = threat to score.
He has the shot, but never construct in which to best use it.

The point needs a boomer, not more passing.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:48 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Spoke with a GM who would be interested in Ryan Smyth but he was told by Oilers that, as of right now, plan isn't to trade him.
https://twitter.com/#!/CraigCustance...04225525248000

Smyth controls his destination.

Old
02-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Even if Smyth waives his NMC to go to another team, can't the GM just not trade him?

Old
02-03-2012, 12:53 PM
Dorado*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernmeister View Post
Put MZA out of misery + ship out of town.
He doesn't have speed = separation = threat to score.
He has the shot, but never construct in which to best use it.

The point needs a boomer, not more passing.
The Rangers have shots the problem is the passing is contrived and slow . While MZA lacks size and strength one thing he does well in a PP set up is move the puck quickly and decisively which leads to open shots . The NYR shots don't get taken or through because of lack o creating lanes and open shots . Quick passing across te box and tape to tape is whAt creates shots . No one is a worse example of having to settle the puck before moving it then Dubi , who unless camped in front should never be in the half wall , he needs to tee it up look and shoot every time

Old
02-03-2012, 01:07 PM
egelband

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=543

i suggested smyth a while back... (patting myself on the back)

he'd be a great add. he would be a good influence and fit right in. he knows ny and would be coming cuz he wants to be. (who wouldn't) plus he can score! similar to the larmer deal...i think.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:16 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Reading what some Edmonton fans think would be in the discussion for Smyth is humorous. 1st rounder, 2nd + St. Croix, JT Miller, McIlrath, Erixon.. yikes.

Wolski + 3rd is still my best offer.

Old
02-03-2012, 01:25 PM
rholt168
Hank**3

"If the New York Rangers wanted to acquire Ryan Smyth, he would seriously consider waiving his no-trade clause, according to a New York Post source."

Per Roto

Closed Thread