HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flames claim Blake Comeau

Old
12-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Renbarg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
I absolutley think teams were willing to give something for Comeau. The Isles simply didn't want to take back any salary, so we got him for freeskies.

He's been solid so far. Another dumb winger to add to our collection of dumb wingers. But he has been hitting everything in sight and has 4 points in two games. So far, so good.
Taking back a pick is not taking on salary, trading Comeau for an underperforming/overpaid player is not ideal. The Wang not wanting to spend thing is a bit overblown imo.

The thing is that Snow may have had offers from teams low in the waiver pecking order. Snow is notorious for sticking to a price he sets. If he doesn't get said price he won't pull the trigger. I think there is a small possibility that he may have been getting offers not to his liking and refused to budge and instead gave the player up for free in order to gain leverage for future negotiations (I know it sounds far-fetched, but if anyone would do it would be Snow).

He refused to budge on Martinek and Konopka this past season. And although he didn't waive them, he also had no intention of signing either.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
During Comeau's first game with the Flames, Rob Kerr (Flames pbp guy) said Feaster had inquired about Comeau prior to claiming him.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 03:38 PM
Medium Rare*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Oh trust me, when he's on, this kid is on. But when he's off, he's wayyyyy off.
you are missing my point

players mature, players grow, players "develop"

you never know when or what will cause a light to switch on. if Comeau has a strong sense of personal pride being given away for nothing might be what he needs to force this.

I am not saying it will, i am saying it could.

where are you were saying there is no chance it will change, which there is no way of knowing unless you are god himself

Medium Rare* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:02 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
you are missing my point

players mature, players grow, players "develop"

you never know when or what will cause a light to switch on. if Comeau has a strong sense of personal pride being given away for nothing might be what he needs to force this.

I am not saying it will, i am saying it could.

where are you were saying there is no chance it will change, which there is no way of knowing unless you are god himself
Chill out, I never said he won't change. He very well could.

However, if you think about it he's been through 3 different changes of scenery with 3 different head coaches. All of which had healthy scratched him for unknown reasons. Based on speculation, he basically just pissed them off. Will he piss off Sutter? I have no idea, but probably less likely because they have a little bit of a history. But he doesn't have a good track record with his coaches and his playing style can be very aggravating.

We'll see what happens in Calgary, but don't be surprised if he doesn't work out. After all, he was just a waiver claim. He could be another Grabner/Peverley, or he could be just like every other waiver claim.

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Noori

vCash: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
2 points in 4 games. But that's still great production considering it's the Flames.
Yes, sorry. I mixed up my numbers.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 04:34 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Taking back a pick is not taking on salary, trading Comeau for an underperforming/overpaid player is not ideal. The Wang not wanting to spend thing is a bit overblown imo.

The thing is that Snow may have had offers from teams low in the waiver pecking order. Snow is notorious for sticking to a price he sets. If he doesn't get said price he won't pull the trigger. I think there is a small possibility that he may have been getting offers not to his liking and refused to budge and instead gave the player up for free in order to gain leverage for future negotiations (I know it sounds far-fetched, but if anyone would do it would be Snow).

He refused to budge on Martinek and Konopka this past season. And although he didn't waive them, he also had no intention of signing either.
That's basically what Burke did in Anaheim with Bryzgalov. If he really had you have to imagine someone would have given Burke a late pick for the goalie.

But in the grand scheme of things a late round pick probably isn't worth letting other GM's know they can call your bluff. If you say you're not letting this player go for anything less than a 2nd rounder, then you cave in and take a 5th round for him, it's probably going to have a negative effect in future trade talks.

(Note: that's not to be confused with saying from the start that you'll simply take the highest offer or something like that)

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Noori

vCash: 1638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
I meant that teams may have been willing to give up a pick, but not without adding a player to clear a spot/give back salary.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2011, 05:29 PM
Renbarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
I meant that teams may have been willing to give up a pick, but not without adding a player to clear a spot/give back salary.
Of course teams are willing to dump salary . Most salary dumps are pretty poor players, salary not taken into account.

Last edited by Renbarg: 12-02-2011 at 08:32 PM.
Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 02:27 PM
CaptainCrunch67

He's been pretty solid, his offensive numbers still aren't great. But he's been a good player pickup.

I would love to see him return to form though, he does have flashes of really brilliant play.

CaptainCrunch67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:37 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch67 View Post
He's been pretty solid, his offensive numbers still aren't great. But he's been a good player pickup.

I would love to see him return to form though, he does have flashes of really brilliant play.
For $2.5m ,the isles needed Comeau to play like the guy who scored 24 goals.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
For $2.5m ,the isles needed Comeau to play like the guy who scored 24 goals.
Yeah, and he's definitely not worth 2.5m.

It will be interesting to see what he gets this summer from the Flames. I'd be in favour of a 2 year deal that pays him 1.4 per. He'll be a solid 3rd line RW for the Flames going forward.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:42 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah, and he's definitely not worth 2.5m.

It will be interesting to see what he gets this summer from the Flames. I'd be in favour of a 2 year deal that pays him 1.4 per. He'll be a solid 3rd line RW for the Flames going forward.
well he will need 2.75 or he will go to ufa

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:46 PM
ComixZone

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
well he will need 2.75 or he will go to ufa
that's what he has to be qualified at in order to remain an RFA. They can negotiate a different contract prior to July 1 in order to keep him, and that contract does not have to be 2.75+ per.

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:03 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
that's what he has to be qualified at in order to remain an RFA. They can negotiate a different contract prior to July 1 in order to keep him, and that contract does not have to be 2.75+ per.

why wouldnt he test the free market? no way they offer 2.75. he could just go to ufa then sign yes, but he will be a ufa july 1

Old
02-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Xelstyle

Quote:
why wouldnt he test the free market? no way they offer 2.75. he could just go to ufa then sign yes, but he will be a ufa july 1
Who would sign him at 2.75? Maybe 2M sure, but so far he's been a pretty good fit with the Flames, getting ice time and some chances. Just needs to start burying if he wants to get paid more.

Xelstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:17 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelstyle View Post
Who would sign him at 2.75? Maybe 2M sure, but so far he's been a pretty good fit with the Flames, getting ice time and some chances. Just needs to start burying if he wants to get paid more.
im just saying that if the flames want him at 2m, he will become a ufa july 1. he needs to be qualified at a 10% increase from this years salary in order to remain an rfa

Old
02-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:
im just saying that if the flames want him at 2m, he will become a ufa july 1. he needs to be qualified at a 10% increase from this years salary in order to remain an rfa
Or he might accept a non qualifying offer.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Fleury14
Kipper

That doesn't mean he wouldn't re-sign for less if he likes Calgary and if Feaster and co consider him a good fit, especially if they were to offer a multi-year deal.. It wouldn't be the first time an RFA has taken less than his QO instead of being qualified.

At his current rate of production, he'd be hard-pressed to get offered more than $1.5m-$1.75m as a UFA.

It would/could insure a solid contract because after the first week of July, the available money usually dries up quickly.

Fleury14 is offline   Reply With Quote