HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

All Purpose Brayden Schenn Discussion.

Old
01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
By the way, and I don't know if anyone has posted this yet, Schenn's hit on Kampfer was deemed #1 in NHL's top 10 hits of this past week

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:19 PM
Brentwood1

Schenn

Blues fan here, I haven't been able to catch many Flyers games this year outside of maybe 2. Where is he slotted in the line-up right now and how is he playing, just curious...

I know he was the prize of the Richi deal, but with how stacked you guys are at center I was wondering if he might be available for a deal that fills some other needs for you guys?

Brentwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood1 View Post
Blues fan here, I haven't been able to catch many Flyers games this year outside of maybe 2. Where is he slotted in the line-up right now and how is he playing, just curious...

I know he was the prize of the Richi deal, but with how stacked you guys are at center I was wondering if he might be available for a deal that fills some other needs for you guys?
what would u offer?

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Amateur Hour

Quote:

He was the trade chip du jour while dealing with various injuries, but now that he's healthy and everyone is starting to see what he can do, he's been taken off the imaginary block with haste. Schenn was THE prize in the Richards deal and won't be available for trade, unless a stud #1/2 defenseman is coming the other way. The Giroux, Schenn, Couturier combo down the middle is going to be the Flyers' foundation moving forward. The future is very bright with those three in the fold.

Personally, I really like what Schenn brings to the table as player, especially for this team, and am excited about watching his continued progress.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Nuclear

He was hurt for a good amount of time, with a concussion and a broken foot. He spent time in the AHL at a few points of the season, with 6G and 6A in I think 7 games.

After the All Star Break, he seems to be doing much better, with 2G and 1 A in 3 games, and a bunch of hits. He's also doing very well at faceoffs.

Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:38 PM
thelos
Bunk

Quote:

As of yesterday, he was playing 3rd line C with Simmonds and Rinaldo/Read.

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Flyers most pressing need is a young, RH D. You seem to have two of those. Care to consider parting with the lesser?

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:44 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

If the deal fills our needs by giving us one of Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo then maybe.

Other than that, there is not much from the Blues that would fill a significant need for us and therefore there is not much other than those players that would interest us in a deal for Schenn.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Brentwood1

I wouldn't know where to begin with a deal. Given we're like you guys in the thick of things and probably aren't willing to make a core-altering trade, the pieces that the Blues might have in play for the right deal would be Berglund, Stewart, Cole, Schwartz, D'Agostini. I'm not saying any or a package of those would yield us Schenn, but there are some very good players in that list. Personally, I think Schenn could slot right in on our second line moving Berglund to a wing, we just need a playmaker in the 2c spot.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Brentwood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwaybro86 View Post
If the deal fills our needs by giving us one of Shattenkirk or Pietrangelo then maybe.

Other than that, there is not much from the Blues that would fill a significant need for us and therefore there is not much other than those players that would interest us in a deal for Schenn.
I hear you, unforunately the value of Petro and Shatty to our team is probably equivilant to the value Giroux & Couturier have to you guys...

Old
02-03-2012, 04:07 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
I hear you, unforunately the value of Petro and Shatty to our team is probably equivilant to the value Giroux & Couturier have to you guys...
That sounds about right.

Obviously Petro is beyond the realm of discussions here... I wouldn't think that St. Louis would move Shattenkirk, but that's really the only other piece that makes sense. Even a Schenn for Tarasenko swap doesn't make a lot of sense for the Flyers organizational depth, nor am I sure that St. Louis would do it.

The other pieces you mention don't make a lot of sense either, for the same reasons. The flyers needs are on the blue-line, and the only two pieces worth giving up Schenn for (Petro and Shattenkirk) are unavailable.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Brentwood1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
That sounds about right.

Obviously Petro is beyond the realm of discussions here... I wouldn't think that St. Louis would move Shattenkirk, but that's really the only other piece that makes sense. Even a Schenn for Tarasenko swap doesn't make a lot of sense for the Flyers organizational depth, nor am I sure that St. Louis would do it.

The other pieces you mention don't make a lot of sense either, for the same reasons. The flyers needs are on the blue-line, and the only two pieces worth giving up Schenn for (Petro and Shattenkirk) are unavailable.
Vova for Schenn is intriguing, last year Schenn had the title of best prospect not playing in the NHL and since his graduation Vova has assumed that title. Very similar talents, the only way the Blues do that is if they are adamant about adding offense this year. If the Flyers feel that they (unlike the Blues) have enough offense to make a run this year without Schenn, and are willing to wait till next year for Vova to come over that would be interesting...

Old
02-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Vova for Schenn is intriguing, last year Schenn had the title of best prospect not playing in the NHL and since his graduation Vova has assumed that title. Very similar talents, the only way the Blues do that is if they are adamant about adding offense this year. If the Flyers feel that they (unlike the Blues) have enough offense to make a run this year without Schenn, and are willing to wait till next year for Vova to come over that would be interesting...
You misunderstood my post. I wouldn't swap Schenn for Tarasenko--there are just too many variables with him still playing in Russia, and I'm not sure where he would slot into the Flyer's line-up (Jagr, Voracek, Read all down the right side, plus possibly Simmonds / Briere).

As I said, the only pieces that I could see the Flyers being interested in are the two young RH defensemen--specifically Shattenkirk, since I think he is probably more on par with Schenn's value. I'm not even sure most Flyers fans would make that swap, but I think that's what it would take from STL.

Old
02-03-2012, 04:26 PM
achdumeingute

Meh, it would be petro or bust IMO, not necessarily straight up...something else on our side. Any other player isn't he same value. Schenn's showing now what he's capable of in the NHL. Id want equivalent talent at the NHL level. Schenn's potential (which he shows flashes of now) is mike Richards with much better vision and hands.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2012, 04:29 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
If the Blues were adamant about adding offense this year and the Flyers feel they could make a run while giving up offense, I would think something around Voracek and Vova would make a lot more sense.

Voracek is a better player than Schenn at this point but has a lower ceiling than Tarasenko or Schenn. So we would be trading for the higher potential, you would be trading for the production now.

That kind of tradeoff makes sense.

A Schenn for Tarasenko swap does not make much sense in my opinion. It would be a trade of prospects with similar skill levels and similar ceilings but the Flyers would have to wait a year for Vova and they would also be acquiring a player with the Russian factor.

I do not see where the upside is there for Philadelphia.

I know the whole Russian thing is overused, but it is a consideration. He may not get the most ice time here in Philadelphia and would he be OK with that?

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Yup , I can't see a deal ever happening here. To part with Schenn we would ask for Petro. While it might not look fair now, Schenn could become a great 2nd line centre. Petro already looks like a great 2# defenseman, with the ability to become a 1#

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Yup , I can't see a deal ever happening here. To part with Schenn we would ask for Petro. While it might not look fair now, Schenn could become a great 2nd line centre. Petro already looks like a great 2# defenseman, with the ability to become a 1#
I'd add something fairly significant on top of Schenn to get Petro, not that it would ever happen in real life. He looks a real promising young player.

Blues need top-4 LH defenseman.

Schenn + Mez?

Old
02-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

We cannot afford to lose another defenseman. It would have to be Schenn + a draft pick. But thats not the point. We are banking on Schenn being a dominant two way player. Those players are worth their weight in gold, and return a kings randsom.

Give Schenn two seasons in the O+B and you will find that no one will be willing to trade him for anything.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
We cannot afford to lose another defenseman. It would have to be Schenn + a draft pick. But thats not the point. We are banking on Schenn being a dominant two way player. Those players are worth their weight in gold, and return a kings randsom.

Give Schenn two seasons in the O+B and you will find that no one will be willing to trade him for anything.
I'm pretty sure that I'd still trade him for a young, cheap top-pairing D (worth their weight in platinum)

But you're right, the Blues have no incentive to make that trade. They have a strong prospect pool (Tarasenko, Schwarz, etc.) that they can use to upgrade their forward corps without losing Pietrangelo.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:19 AM
SgtJoseph

There is no way i would trade Shenn away this season.....The kid is looking more and more like a Flyer every game....He can hit, skate, fight if need be,and i think he will be scoring goals on a more consistent basis as we go along this season....It would have to be a BIG name player we get if he is involved in the trade in my opinion.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
There is no way i would trade Shenn away this season.....The kid is looking more and more like a Flyer every game....He can hit, skate, fight if need be,and i think he will be scoring goals on a more consistent basis as we go along this season....It would have to be a BIG name player we get if he is involved in the trade in my opinion.
I understand what you are saying, and I agree that Schenn is destined to become a very solid player in the league.

But there is also the issue of organizational depth--lose Schenn and you still have Giroux - Briere - Couturier down the middle for the next three years; our blue-line, in contrast, starts to look pretty thin if Timonen ceases to be able to play 10 years younger than his age and Pronger never comes back. If you have the chance to swap Schenn for an equally-talented, similarly-aged defenseman, I think you have to think very hard about doing it, regardless of how good Schenn has looked in the last month or so.

Old
02-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh82 View Post
I understand what you are saying, and I agree that Schenn is destined to become a very solid player in the league.

But there is also the issue of organizational depth--lose Schenn and you still have Giroux - Briere - Couturier down the middle for the next three years; our blue-line, in contrast, starts to look pretty thin if Timonen ceases to be able to play 10 years younger than his age and Pronger never comes back. If you have the chance to swap Schenn for an equally-talented, similarly-aged defenseman, I think you have to think very hard about doing it, regardless of how good Schenn has looked in the last month or so.
If Briere is able to adjust to it, there is great benefit in moving him to the wing. The presence of Schenn would allow you to try it.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
If Briere is able to adjust to it, there is great benefit in moving him to the wing. The presence of Schenn would allow you to try it.
I agree, but that's not the point. Our forward corps is somewhere between fine and strong going forward; the blue-line, less so.

Let me be clear--there aren't many defenseman I would move for Schenn for, but Pietrangelo is absolutely one of them. Anyone who wouldn't make that swap, I think, probably hasn't watched many St. Louis games this year.

Old
02-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
I really hope that the flyers move Briere in the offseason. I like Danny, but there is a logjam of young talent at this club, and his 6.5 mil salary will be better served in other places on the club.
FORWARDS
Jaromir Jagr ($3.300m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Scott Hartnell ($4.200m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($4.250m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Jakub Voracek ($2.250m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Ben Holmstrom ($0.750m) / Harry Zolnierczyk ($0.900m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Erik Gustafsson ($0.900m) / Andreas Lilja ($0.737m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.666m) / Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,638,373; BONUSES: $3,555,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $6,661,627

Nice chunk of change to make a deal for a big UFA defenseman, or money for anything that we could get back for Briere + draft picks?

Old
02-04-2012, 06:41 PM
MsWoof

Any word on how Schenn is doing after the punch he took today?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote