HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011-12 All Purpose Kings Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread IV

Closed Thread

Old
02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Kostitsyn is a UFA my friend. If he sucks, he walks. Carter is here until I am almost 50 years old, and I am in my 30's now.
Because he can't me moved right? Some of the worst contracts in NHL history have been moved

Old
02-03-2012, 05:32 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tebow View Post
I am saying Carter would not make the Kings offense any better because he only puts up big offensive numbers at the expense of the rest of the team.

Carter will score you 30 goals but he will only get 30 goals if he gets 300 shots.

Who was the last LA King to take 300-350 shots in a season?

The Kings average 31 shots a game. If you add Carter that average will stay around the same. The difference is Carter will take a large percentage of those shots meaning other players will get fewer shots.

Get it? If 1 individual Kings player starts shooting a lot more they will see an increase in goals as an individual but not more goals as a team.
This post made me LOL.

Who cares if he has to take a bunch of shots. And I don't care who the last King was to have 300 shots on net either. Who was the last King to score 40 goals? Carter brings the potential for 40 goals, something IMOP only Kopitar also has on this team. To assume that because Carter takes shots means the rest of the team doesn't is crap as well.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoreZeGoals View Post
Hmm, so it's going to take Carter 300 shots (playing with below average playmakers) to reach 30 goals? Do you know who has 150 shots and 15 goals right now? Anze Kopitar. Adding another goal scorer on the level of Kopitar isn't going to scare anyone away.

As for you last point about Philly scoring being up and Columbus being down, that only works if you look at things in a vacuum.
Like pointed out in my other post playmakers don't help Carter. Philly tried him with numerous playmakers and none helped. Carter does not take slap shots or 1-timers.

Plus comparing Kopitar to Carter is laughable. Kopitar's a most more rounded player. Carter is a 1 dimensional player. He does not possess playmaking ability, he avoids contact, he will take shifts off. All he really does is get the puck and wrist it at the net. Occasionally he mixes it up with a backhand. That is really all Carter is.

I am not familiar with the vacuum remark. I am just saying if he was such a difference maker why is Columbus still a terrible offense and why is Philly still an elite offense? Aren't difference makers supposed to make a difference?

Old
02-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
This post made me LOL.

Who cares if he has to take a bunch of shots. And I don't care who the last King was to have 300 shots on net either. Who was the last King to score 40 goals? Carter brings the potential for 40 goals, something IMOP only Kopitar also has on this team. To assume that because Carter takes shots means the rest of the team doesn't is crap as well.
Explain to me how that works? Do you think the Kings will suddenly avg 40 shots a game with Carter? Carter will score the Kings 40 goals and no one else's numbers will dip?

I guess everyone doesn't get it but it should be common sense. With Carter in the line up when they are in the offensive zone Carter will shoot almost every time he gets the puck. Hence lowering the totals of his line mates. If his scoring percentage wasn't below average this would help the Kings but since it isn't it likely won't increase the teams offense.

The Kings are #10 in the NHL on shots on goal. The issue isn't getting pucks on net it's getting good shots on net. Carter is not a good shot player. He is exactly what they Kings are now, throw the puck at the net every possible chance and hope something good happens. Low percentage scorer.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Explain to me how that works? Do you think the Kings will suddenly avg 40 shots a game with Carter? Carter will score the Kings 40 goals and no one else's numbers will dip?

I guess everyone doesn't get it but it should be common sense. With Carter in the line up when they are in the offensive zone Carter will shoot almost every time he gets the puck. Hence lowering the totals of his line mates. If his scoring percentage wasn't below average this would help the Kings but since it isn't it likely won't increase the teams offense.

The Kings are #10 in the NHL on shots on goal. The issue isn't getting pucks on net it's getting good shots on net. Carter is not a good shot player. He is exactly what they Kings are now, throw the puck at the net every possible chance and hope something good happens. Low percentage scorer.
Who is your solution? Carter is the best fit available for the price. The Kings are looking to compete now. The Kings need a sniper/goal scorer right now, this very moment. Who is your solution?

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
02-03-2012, 05:47 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Richards, Briere, and Giroux all had declining numbers playing with Carter. He does not work with playmakers, probably because he does not take 1-timers or slap shots in general. He has almost exclusively played with power forwards or other snipers. Umberger also rarely played with Carter. Umberger really kind of bounced around the lines with Philly playing everywhere from 1st line to 4th line. The year Umberger scored 50 Carter was playing with Hartnell and Lupul. Hartnell came from the Predators where offense does not exist. In his first season without Carter he is having his best offensive season. Lupul's first healthy season since leaving Philly is also ironically his best season.

Comparing Jagr and Carter is also a bit of a stretch. Carter was also never "the man" nor was he half the player Jagr was. Jagr struggling is better then almost ever good Carter season. Not to mention Jagr still showed up when it mattered. Playoff success all over, Carter has been a train wreck in the playoffs every year. Carter still isn't the man ether, Rick Nash is.
This is just silly. Hartnell has been crapped on by a lot of the same Flyer fans that Carter has been, yet now, because he's putting up the points, people see his value. When Hartnell played with Briere and Leino he was the guy doing all the dirty work. This year, yeah, he'd bloody well better be putting up points since he's playing with Giroux and Jagr!

As for Lupul, he and Kessel have clicked although they're cooling off right now. Kessel did nothing without Lupul so obviously there is something good going on between them. But had they been put on separate lines, who knows what Lupul would be doing.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:50 PM
BKR

It would be nice to have a player who actually tends to hit the net when he shoots, most of the current roster struggles with that. The Staples Center dasher boards/glass behind the net are battered and bruised.

Enter Carter. Yes, please.

Old
02-03-2012, 05:53 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:

That sounds fantastic. This is what you fail to understand, the Kings have and still do ice a team mostly full of guys afraid to pull the trigger in prime scoring locations. Those that do actually shoot, couldn't hit the net if their life depended on it. Sure the Kings may be 10th in shots on goal, but 90% of those are from the blueline or on the half wall. I want my goal scoring center/winger to actually shoot the puck. High quality goal scorers produce two things, goals and rebounds, we need both

Old
02-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Winger23

Quote:

So he's a perfect fit to play along Dustin Brown. If you're telling me Carter can score 30-40 goals by not picking good shots sign me up please. The Kings 2nd through 4th line wingers will be lucky to have 30 goals COMBINED by the end of the year. I think the Kings would welcome his ****** shot selection.

And you say he will get 40 but at the cost of others stats. You mean Penner or Stoll won't score as much? Do you even watch the Kings? LOL

Old
02-03-2012, 06:06 PM
BKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger23 View Post
I think the Kings would welcome his ****** shot selection.
Agreed. Put the puck on net, and good things happen.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
I don't agree with Tim Tebow. I think he needs to stick to football

Old
02-03-2012, 06:08 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
I don't agree with Tim Tebow. I think he needs to stick to football
Perhaps as a tight end

Old
02-03-2012, 06:09 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Heavens to betsy what if the rest of the Kings team sees Carter firing away and starts to learn that you need to actually shoot the puck to score!

Old
02-03-2012, 06:11 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Here's something to think about:

What if Penner and Gagne weren't busts, and actually played like the player that they were before they became Kings?

Couple that with a more consistent and less streaky Jarrett Stoll (esp. in the shootout) and we may actually not be having this conversation...

Old
02-03-2012, 06:12 PM
KingCanadain1976

i just heard on tsn that were interested in Kristian Huselius would this be a a good thing? 4.75 for the rest of the year but out with a groin pull most of this year?

Old
02-03-2012, 06:20 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
i just heard on tsn that were interested in Kristian Huselius would this be a a good thing? 4.75 for the rest of the year but out with a groin pull most of this year?
As a short term solution it wouldn't be bad depending on the price. In the end however it's just putting a band-aid on the broken leg that is our scoring winger problem

Old
02-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Thrice
Coyote Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Looking at Carter's linemates, it seems like he wasn't the only player on his line putting up decent numbers. Despite all the negative things said about Carter, his shot created plenty of scoring opportunities for his linemates. Hartnell has had only one 30 goal season (about to be two the way he's playing with Giroux and Jagr), and that was when he was playing with Carter. Umberger broke out into a 50 point scorer playing with Carter as well.
Funny that those shots didn't translate into assists.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
Heavens to betsy what if the rest of the Kings team sees Carter firing away and starts to learn that you need to actually shoot the puck to score!
Savemefromtebow!

Old
02-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
Here's something to think about:

What if Penner and Gagne weren't busts, and actually played like the player that they were before they became Kings?

Couple that with a more consistent and less streaky Jarrett Stoll (esp. in the shootout) and we may actually not be having this conversation...
I thought Gagne played well for us. He would be our primary left wing if he didn't go down to injury.

As for Penner, I still say he is being utilized incorrectly. We are trying to use him as if he were a Jeff Carter or a Zach Parise, but really he needs to be used as a Ryan Smyth. He needs to be placed in front of the net and cemented there.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

FWIW Dreger reporting LA has interest in:

Hemsky
Carter
Huselius
MacArthur
Kulemin

Old
02-03-2012, 06:35 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post
Funny that those shots didn't translate into assists.
Sure his assist numbers arn't great but look at it this way, Carter averaged 33 assists over the past three years. Only three Kings have a hope of equaling that total this year, Kopi, Williams, and Doughty. Carter's 33 assists would be a welcome addition.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post

Hemsky
Carter
Huselius
MacArthur
Kulemin
Here's the audio link for those who want to listen:
http://iphone.tsn.ca/tsnpodcasts/Dar...ger_020312.mp3

Old
02-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
I really like Huselius, so I'm biased on this one, but signing him in free agency wouldn't be a bad idea. Can score, gets hurt often, good fit.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post

Hemsky
Carter
Huselius
MacArthur
Kulemin
Hemsky better be cheap as hell

All-in-all, nothing out of the ordinary except for the addition of Huselius. Can't say I would be too happy with that. Is more of a Modin move. He's better, but his pay scale is high, his injuries are questionable, and his abilities are unknowns after injury. He's a good player, but who knows if he is the same, he has missed A LOT of time. I'd rather go after MacArthur or Kulemin if we miss out on Carter over the other options.

Old
02-03-2012, 06:44 PM
kingsholygrail
Career Worst Year

Say the Kings do get Carter... What do they do about the cap?

Closed Thread